Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

SilverSupernova posted:

And with that we can go back to discussing pseudo-confirmations of Falcon and Wario and the City Trial Metroidvania.

I think Smash Run is the thing I'm the most excited for. I spent hours and hours playing City Trial in Kirby Air Ride, and it's great to see a spiritual successor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Pissweak posted:

I missed the direct thing and I've only just seen the website.

Why Greninja in particular?

Presumably to give a representative from the most current generation. As for why Greninja specifically, well Greninja rules.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, so are Greninja and Charizard their own distinct characters, or are they part of Pokemon Trainer?

Everyone is a distinct trainer. There are no character that transform like Zelda/Shiek, Samus/ZSS, and Pokemon Trainer.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

How Rude posted:

Glad to see that they are embracing both kinds of players. Different Final Destination skins is the best thing ever for it. :)

I'm excited for different FD skins, because it means if there's a really awful stage with a really great aesthetic and great music, like Rumble Falls, I can still enjoy it.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

:rolleyes:
Why even put in the feature if they couldn't balance around it at all? It's just kind of ridiculous.

Because a lot of people will enjoy playing with custom movesets with their friends, online and offline.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

It looks like you can only tweak properties of specials.

Seems a little premature to say that, since we've seen like a minute of footage of moveset creation and didn't really get any details.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone link this gallery of new screenshots. Some stills from the Nintendo Direct, but I think a fair amount of new info there. Someone tell me if I'm crazy, but is this item the S Flag from the Tales games? Or is it from something else and I'm not recognizing it?

edit: Apparently it's a thing Namco uses in a lot of their games.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 9, 2014

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Some people like Waluigi for some reasons. Others like him for different reasons. Others don't like him at all. Let's not go on for pages about it.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Excels posted:

What are some stages you would want in the game?

A Kirby's Epic Yarn stage. Fountain Gardens could be really cool.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

We've already seen that Ridley's a stage hazard in the Nintendo Direct, so there's even less of a chance.
Too fuckin' big.

To be fair, it was only implied that he was a stage hazard. Not that I'd expect to see him in, but there's still a nonzero chance of that happening.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Wild Knight posted:

I actually wonder what the console Fire Emblem stage will be, since we haven't seen any sign of it. It'd be kind of lame if it was just Castle Siege again.

It'll be based on the bridge chapter from FE9 and 10. Pitfalls everywhere :getin:

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

The GIG posted:

Please never buy a console for one game. No matter what it is it's not worth it if you don't have anything else you want.

Four years ago I bought a Sega Dreamcast just to play Power Stone 2, and I have no regrets.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

*grabs pile of poo poo and sniffs it* Mmm! *takes a big bite* More DLC please! *burps a fart-smelling burp*

Is there a point you're trying to make here?

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Wow I'm surprised people are so anti-Pac-man. He's got plenty of moveset potential from his 3D platformer games, and he's one of the most iconic video game characters ever. I think he'd work great in Smash.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Rita Repulsa posted:

...I kind of feel people are being obtuse on purpose or something, what is this? People are "hung up" on actually liking nintendo characters and have more emotional attachment to them because they're "annoying nerds" in a thread about a nintendo fighting game? You can't understand why people would like pokemon, nintendo's most popular franchise that sells billions? You can say "video game history" or "sure, pac man's been in games" all you want but its not changing my feelings about pacman compared to any other games I can think of.

Dark souls is like this generation's metal gear solid, I'd be happy with a Dark Souls thing in the game.

People aren't talking about Dark Souls because it has nothing to do with Nintendo or Smash in any way. That's great if you don't have any attachment to Pac-Man, but I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) do.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are any of these games other then the original games any good?

Pac-Man World 2 was pretty good. And besides, never being in a good game didn't stop the Ice Climbers.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

It's kind of impressive that Ice Climbers didn't get another game. Pit got Uprising, Mr. Game and Watch got the Game and Watch gallery games, ROB showed up in Mario Kart, Ice Climbers got jack and poo poo.

They got to show up in Animal Crossing, so that's something at least. I'd love a new Ice Climbers game in the vein of Uprising though.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Pac Man is more iconic than Doom Guy. If Pac Man makes it, I really hope an alt costume is Ms. Pac Man. His final Smash should really be something based off Pac Man 2.

Just put Ms. Pac-Man in over Pac-Man. Her game's way better anyway.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I've never played Xenoblade, but if Shulk were in, I would think he'd be more likely to replace Ike's moveset, looking at him.

I wouldn't think so. His whole thing is that his sword has a bunch of magic powers, a lot of which are buffs/debuffs. He doesn't really have much in common with Ike besides using a sword. The real reason we need Shulk in is so that we can get a Reyn assist trophy.

TARDISman posted:

It'd be hard to guess what his final smash would be though, since he has a few really strong Monado based attacks, none of them really stand out as an "Oh poo poo!"

I'd guess either Monado Buster as a powerful attack/insta-kill for either one target or a decently large area in front of him, or something involving seeing the future. Maybe he gets a vision that makes it so he dodges all attacks and does more damage for a time.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 15, 2014

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

If Shulk were in Smash Bros I bet they would get a whole new American voice for him because 'Silly accents prevent sales'

Im so upset about Inazuna Eleven!

Hey, they didn't give Marth an American voice in Melee or Brawl. Speaking of, I wonder if they'll give him an English voice now that he has a game out in English.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Geostomp posted:

So nobody know exactly who the frog ninja is popular with? Huh, didn't see that coming.

The frog ninja is popular with me. Frogs are great. Ninjas are pretty good. Water pokemon are the best.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Blue. The hair's blue.

And all the main characters are dudes with swords, for the most part. The exceptions are Ephraim, who's a dude with a spear, and Celica, who's a chick with magic, and neither of them are that relevant. FE isn't popular enough for it to have a fuckton of characters like Mario or Pokemon.

There's also Eirika and Lyn, ladies with swords, Hector, a dude with an axe, and Micaiah, a lady with magic. I can't believe people would rather have Chrom than Lucina though. Like, Chrom is one of the least interesting characters in Awakening, and Lucina would help give Smash some much needed female representation.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I think there's the assumption that Lucina would fight similar to Marth, and Chrom would be similar to Ike. Obviously this doesn't have to be since neither really has a "style", but I can see why people would want Chrom since we'll almost certainly not get Ike back.

I still dunno where the idea that Ike will almost certainly be cut comes from, but I guess we'll just wait and see.

Endorph posted:

Chrom is hilarious in a lot of the DLC stuff. He works fine as a straightman.

Sure, he's a fine straight man, but fine is relatively weak compared to almost anyone else in the game, including Lucina.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

The fact that Chrom's fighting style is really, really close to how Ike rolls is a big part of it. That, the fact that Roy got rotated out for Ike last time (yes he was in a lovely game, but FE has the popularity for basically two slots, and Marth's got a lock on one of them.) and Fire Emblem: Awakening being the newest game in the series and the one they'd want to advertise are all strong indicators that Ike's likely out.

Ike and Chrom's fighting styles are similar in the sense that they're both dudes who fight with swords, sure, but past that I don't really know what you mean, or why that would mean Ike would be cut, especially in a game where clones exist. There's a number of reasons as to why Roy could've gotten cut (unpopular character both in his own game and in Melee), and I don't think any of them really apply to Ike, other than them both being a Fire Emblem character not named Marth. I'd disagree that FE only has the popularity for two slots considering how well Awakening sold. I totally expect a character from Awakening to join to represent the newest game in the series, but I don't think Ike will necessarily be cut to add them.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Fire Emblem was literally about to be cancelled due to unpopularity before Awakening sold unexpectedly well. It is not going to get more slots than freaking Donkey Kong.

And then Awakening sold exceptionally well, and the series didn't get cancelled. If that didn't happen, sure, I'd agree. I dunno what Donkey Kong has to do with this.

quote:

And Ike and Chrom are both big beefy blue-haired dudes who use Aether and they even have some similar attack animations. It isn't 100% impossible that Ike couldn't be cut but cutting Ike and replacing him with the latest Lord who could share a bunch of moves and then add a few extra moves of his own due to his lancer/archer movesets is not unlikely.

More importantly: If it comes down to a choice between having Ike and having Chrom, Chrom is going to win 100% of the time, especially with FE:A already having a stage in the game and trophies from it being shown.

Ok, maybe they have a couple of similar attack animations here and there? I think part of that comes with the territory of both being dudes with swords, and I still wouldn't say that their fighting styles are "really, really close". They both have Aether, but their Aether animations are nothing alike, so again, I'm not really sure how that means their fighting styles are similar, or they have similar attack animations, or that Chrom will replace Ike. And sure, if it does come down to a choice between Ike and Chrom, of course Chrom is going to win. What I'm saying is, I don't think it's coming down to that choice. It could happen and I wouldn't be too surprised, but I do think saying that Ike will almost certainly be cut is a pretty big leap.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Because it is remarkably unlikely they are going to go out of their way to keep Ike. Fire Emblem is not a big franchise and Ike is not a particularly iconic character to it besides having been in Brawl.

Fire Emblem characters have an incredibly small handful of attack animations. Chrom's Aether animation is different but he does the "leap up and come down on them" thing for a different attack animation (and in the CG cutscenes IIRC.)

Why would you not? They've already said they are going to cut characters. I would be surprised if both Lucas and Ness make it back in too.

I don't really have anything to say about this that I haven't said before, so I guess we'll just agree to disagree then. :shobon:

Joramun posted:

Stop caring so much about loving Ike, Wind God Sety. It's just a video game character.

What's your problem, guy? I didn't realize it was taboo tabuu to talk about how likely we think a given character is to be in Smash 4 in the Smash 4 thread, sorry.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Famous TV Dad posted:

Actually it does.

Also who cares? If it looks cool and is more functional it doesn't matter whether the human body could technically do it or not. It could be a product of tweening anyways.

It'd be one thing if it looked cool but unrealistic, but really it just looks awkward and bad.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I guess I never really understood why ZSS needed to be a character in the first place.

Because that last section of Zero Mission was really cool.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

I actually kinda dig the gloss/neon shine her suit has, but maybe I just have really gaudy taste.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Excels posted:

Yeah, here's a better video instead.

Now was that so hard, Sakurai? If your fans can do this poo poo what makes it so difficult for you?

I'm all for Ridley in Smash, but this video is definitely not an argument in favor of how that can work well.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

It's distinct name is Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. Seriously.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Daaang, Ike's new design is really cool! I'm glad they managed to pull off his Radiant Dawn design without making him looks stupidly over-muscled.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

I think it's kinda hard to judge the steam effect without seeing how it looks in motion.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Squallege posted:

Those loving bongos. I'm probably the only one in the world that bought Donkey Konga.

I bought it and use those bongos to play Dive Kick with a GC/USB adapter.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

For a second FE stage, I'd be pretty glad to see Castle Siege back. That was one of my favorite stages in Brawl. The Crimea capital from FE9 Endgame could be really cool too. For music, basically any map theme from FE4 would be great, but The Final Holy War would be really fantastic. That and Id Promise/Hope and Don't Speak Her Name from Awakening.

Edit: Also an updated version of the FE2 endgame music could be really rad.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 30, 2014

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

And Alfonzo jokes aside, they could easily swap in Kammy if Kamek somehow was a playable character.

If they were gonna do that, I'd rather they just make Kammy playable. It'd be cool to see Paper Mario get some representation.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Pixeltendo posted:

Isn't this the Super smash bros. 64 character select song?

I believe it's also the SSE map theme

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Can we as a thread try to go a week without bringing up how Waluigi should have been in/never had a chance?

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Oh, yeah *those* kinds, that's a lot better.

Don't worry, you're One Of The Good Ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Sire Oblivion posted:

That seems quite overpowered.

I think that's a bit of a leap to say from literally a single frame from the game.

• Locked thread