Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The real Samus is just like "what the gently caress is this poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The reality of characters like Zelda/Sheik is that people preferred to only use one of them. The idea of a transforming character was neat in theory but it didn't pan out in practice, so the decision to split is good.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think it would be better to have a Battlefield version of each stage than an FD version, or maybe a mix. And some stages could even be hardcore-ready if they kept the same terrain but switched off the hazards.

But I don't expect to use the mode much myself, so as long as tournament players like it then it serves its purpose.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The largest Smash Bros stage yet?

Hopefully it plays more like Hyrule Temple and less like New Pork City.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Vanrushal posted:

This seems like it would have been a better fit on the 3DS, no? I like the concept of huge stages but if they zoom out too far it's just awful.

I think it's banking on the fact that you can get away with smaller onscreen elements in HD, as well as the fact that most fights won't naturally involve everyone spreading so far apart.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm surprised they didn't do a section on controls, being that Brawl was really good about customizing controls I don't see it being an issue but it'd be nice to know that I'll be able to switch the buttons to whatever the hell on the 3DS.

Kid Icarus Uprising let you customize the controls a ton, so it's a safe bet that control customization is now standard Sakurai practice.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

So with the 3ds version, what button's going to relate to the z-button on the gamecube version? Just have the right trigger be for blocking and dodging and the left trigger for grabbing/grappling?

Since you don't really need two jump buttons, one of them could be set to grab instead.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I enjoy that Megaman's final smash is a cutscene that momentarily hijacks the match, like Captain Falcon's did in Brawl.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ugh they really are going to make Pacman a playable fighter aren't they.

Wouldn't this have been the best time to announce that? It'd be bigger news than Greninja, and one version of the game is only a few months away.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I would take this person's word as gospel if they actually predicted Greninja, because he's not an obvious "star Pokemon" in the way that other inclusions have been. But "Pokemon from XY" is easy and broad and not worth any cred at all.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's still a bunch of characters who I think are basically guaranteed, but not announced yet:

-Captain Falcon
-Ness
-Ganondorf
-Falco
-Jigglypuff
-Metaknight
-Wario
-G&W

The characters who I think are very likely gone are Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur. Everyone else I'd peg at various states of uncertainty.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Zelda's eye colour has always changed in her Sheik disguise.

This time around they don't necessarily have to be the same person, though. It was weird to me that TP Zelda would transform into Sheik, but now one can just imagine that these are different Zeldas of different eras.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Little Mac is one reason it seems weird that FD is the only For Glory stage, since it seems like he'd be disproportionately strong there.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Space T Rex posted:

This. I am actually of the opinion that the skin tight attire makes sense, since I imagine Zero Suit to be a "I just literally just now stepped out of the suit" Zero Suit. But they were like "Ok ZSS is coming back, what do we do? Bigger boobs and high heels? Give this man a promotion!"

Basically it's not unreasonable that Samus would wear something snug under the powersuit, but the thing with skin-tight clothes is that they stretch over indentations like the navel instead of clinging to every detail, and also they compress stuff like boobs, smushing them flat.

ZSS looks like Dennis Reynolds was involved in the concept art.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Breasts that jut out so far you can see them while her back is turned.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the only one of those that has merit is Palutena, since it seemed intended to highlight the fact that the real Palutena hasn't been seen yet in this game.

The video hinted pretty overtly that Ridley is a stage hazard, and it would be strange to put Ghirahim or Demise in over Ganondorf.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Geostomp posted:

Well, that sounds pointless. What makes it any different from any other small mammal pokemon if it just tackles into people?

Eevee is the cutest Pokemon, and that is enough.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It seems weird to imagine someone who can't resist the siren call of Smash Bros but can't find a single other game in the Wii U's library that they want to play, small though it is.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If I remember correctly, all the secret characters were successfully kept secret right up to the Japanese launch (I wouldn't count Snake and Sonic as 'secret', even though they had to be unlocked).

Wolf, Jigglypuff, and Toon Link took longer than the rest to discover, though, because of the way they were hidden.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I remember how the last three were successfully predicted before we knew them for sure; characters always appeared in the same left-to-right order on the select screen, and someone figured out in advance that if you added characters in three particular spots, the whole grid would settle into organized columns for each franchise.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Reiley posted:

I would like "use your 3DS as a Wii U controller" please. Bring back the old GBA/GC cable technology except wireless.

I think for that to work, the Wii U stages would have to be programmed into the 3DS version. The 3DS can't do the Gamepad-style video streaming, so it would have to be running the game and that means all the same content would have to be there.

Unless you just mean using it as a controller without showing the fight on the 3DS screen, that seems possible.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't like any design of Pacman that isn't a pixellated circle mouth, he looks like a weird clowny jerk.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the tricky thing with Pacman is that his original sprite design is extremely iconic and recognizable the world over:

...while his official design is really, really not:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Space T Rex posted:

Who was the anime man with the keysword and Disney friends? I never even played it but that was the dumbest thing ever. Was that even nintendo though? May have been Sony actually...I don't remember. If it was nintendo, he better not be a possibility.

He has nothing to do with Nintendo or SSB other than, oddly, having the same name as Sakurai's company.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I really want some Xenoblade music in the game, but I'm not really fussed about characters or stages. Maybe the Monado as a super strong, rare item.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The French word for frog is "Grenouille". You would pronounce it more like "grun", and Japanese pronunciation conventions are not relevant. Mystery solved.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, Brawl tended not to include content relating to games that came out during its development (with a couple exceptions like the references to MGS4, which actually came out after).

SSB4, on the other hand, has been keeping very up-to-date, with some pretty polished Pikmin 3 and Pokemon XY content appearing. The dev team must have been receiving reference materials from these games while they were still in development. Based on that, I'd also expect to see tidbits from FE: Awakening, SM3DW, LBW, and Tropical Freeze.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Seshoho Cian posted:

Look at that. Just look at that.
I mean seriously.

See, normally the way you do this is by photoshoppping your image first, displaying it on your device's screen, and THEN taking a photo of it.

That way you don't end up with, say, various elements appearing at different resolutions, some finer than the 3DS is capable of. I mean, look at loving Kirby there.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There will probably be SSB SKUs for both systems. A 3DS XL with the logo stamped on it, and a Wii U bundle with a Pro Controller packed in are both too obvious NOT to do.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

frodnonnag posted:

My only regret is that the OoT 3ds isn't an XL.

I like the LBW XL so much better than the OOT model, anyway.

It's classy, minimalist, and cleverly matches the game's story. Even the text on the back is integrated in a way that respects the design!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Close one eye and tilt the system left-to-right, and you'll get the gist of how the tech works.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think that pose is an improvement unless Samus is Mr Fantastic now.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's even rigged badly; every time she bends her torso in any direction, her tiny waist forms this massive concave indentation and looks hilarious. This is the kind of frame you keep hidden like a goofy animation smear, not display proudly as an improvement.

Here's the old one, for reference:

I just don't get how they're making every possible lapse in aesthetic judgment with ZSS when everything else looks so good.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, but Samus turns into energy inside the morph ball, you can see in Prime that it's hollow with light crackling inside. I don't think there's pure formless energy underneath that blue buttsuit unless it happens to have some massive ethereal energy honkers.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Classtoise posted:

You're right. This cartoony video game with Pikachu fighting Mario is ruined because this super-athlete's body does not fit within the confines of a normal human beings ability to move when she is standing still or perhaps spinning through the air like a buzz saw.

Clearly, this one frame of shoddy animation proves that this game is going to be a mess. We should keep discussing it until we get actual news.

Maybe the game should stick to being unrealistic in cool ways, instead of in embarrassing boner-motivated ways.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think they all look cool enough for a cameo, but the important thing is that we get to play as the coolest one.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm pretty sure that's actually part of the background. There's other shots of the Wii U Battlefield where you can see chains like that hanging under some of the background islands.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Just take a genre Nintendo doesn't currently have a franchise for, and give it to those two.

Like a beat-em-up. Nintendo doesn't have their own beat-em-up.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

Sorry man, Urban Champion 2 already de-confirmed. :(

They deconfirmed "Urban Champion 2". They didn't deconfirm Wario Dragon: Streets of Walurage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

quote:

Pic of the day. With the Super Leaf, any fighter can have ears and a tail. You can also float in the air by pressing the jump button. We're still figuring out whether you'll be able to attack with the tail...

Interesting that some mechanics are still being experimented with at this stage. It's normal for items you hold to replace your A attacks, but not items you wear. Maybe that's why they're not sure yet.

• Locked thread