Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
LOL, I heard steam was cracking down on some of these early access shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is this going to be a game or not

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
when I saw it at SOE Live the weather system looked cool but the game was pretty loving boring

its basically a slightly less clunky Day Z with everything in english instead of russian

which still makes it a terrible game

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

k cool gonna unsubscribe from this thread then. i'm a little zombied out after my friends and i "beat" project zomboid last week anyway

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I went there to see planetside, but I left with the impression that pretty much they are just putting all of their eggs in the everquest next basket

idk maybe im wrong

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

k cool gonna unsubscribe from this thread then. i'm a little zombied out after my friends and i "beat" project zomboid last week anyway

Do it. I (or someone) will presumably make a new thread in Games when SOE actually decides to make it clear that this isn't vaporware.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mean I've played the thing

if you want to play what I've played, just play Day Z and imagine it isn't in russia

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/541261722263097346

well what do you know

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
after all these awesome early access games that just came out, i cant wait to buy another one!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Whats their plans on monetizing this?

Paying for bullets and food?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Al Borland posted:

Whats their plans on monetizing this?

Paying for bullets and food?

Clothes and skins.

E- It will also cost $29.99 for ea iirc.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

always be closing posted:

Clothes and skins.

E- It will also cost $29.99 for ea iirc.

Supposed to be $19.99, I though. But yeah, cosmetics for sure, but also maybe in-game mechanic stuff, too. They mentioned being able to buy a supply crate drop that would be accessible by anyone nearby, so... Expect them to find a way to do stupid poo poo because they didn't just charge up-front for the game.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The basic reason why this game is going to be bad is that SOE (among many other crippling flaws) is utterly incapable of programming an effective anti-cheat system, evidenced by anyone that has ever played Planetside 2. BattleEye, which DayZ runs on, actually enjoys greater success than PB or many other programs, but SOE has NEVER been able to get one working right, and in a game like this, that is incredibly important.

Nothing sucks more than putting 10-15 hours into a DayZ character only to be headshot or script killed instantly. I mean it happens, and you expect it, but it still sucks.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
PS2 barely had any cheaters for a long time now. That's like the least of their problems.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Smedley posted:

After a lot of hard work, we've decided to make the release date January 15th, 2015. This gives us just enough time to polish what we have and put out something we'll be proud of and hopefully you'll be excited to play.

Why did it take longer than we originally thought? It's a fair question. The simple answer is once we saw what we could have had earlier it wasn't good enough and we wanted to put something out that we would be proud of. What you'll be playing January 15th is a really fun game, but it's early. It's everything Early Access should be - a fun and compelling game that isn't finished. Our goal is to have you help us finish it and have it be a game we can build a large community in over time.

Is it going to be a finished game? Absolutely not. If that's what you're expecting, DO NOT BUY EARLY ACCESS. The goal here is to let you in early and help us mold it into a game you want to be a part of for quite a long time.
We'll have 2 SKUS when we launch. The basic early access sku for $19.99 - which will let you into the game and have a great time, and a more expensive one which we'll announce here shortly. The difference between the two will be things like access to some of our different game mode servers (which you can get access to by purchasing tickets or earning them as well) and other specifics we'll be outlining soon.

Is H1Z1 going to be better than Day Z day 1? No it won't. We'll get asked that question a lot and I wanted to be up front about it. We're not as feature rich and they have a lot of really cool stuff we just don't have yet. That being said, we're also a different game. We're an MMO and our goals are to create a large scale world that gives you the incredible feeling of being a survivor in a zombie apocalypse.

We'll be starting out with roughly 64k square Kilometers, but we plan to grow it right away.. and over time create our virtual version of the US post apocalypse. Look for us to start adding land right away post launch.
Please join us at 3:30pm PST on our H1Z1 twitch channel to answer any questions you may have!

The main thing is that they're not hitting 2014, but not by much. You tell me what you think that means.

E: Also DayZ is still buggy and doesn't really feel like it's fully of content, so if they're saying they're releasing something even worse, then :lol:

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 9, 2014

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Gmaz posted:

PS2 barely had any cheaters for a long time now. That's like the least of their problems.

The only reason this is true is because AA and most other big cheating firms quit making cheats for the game due to lack of demand.

RainMaker
Oct 25, 2012

This is me every time you post.

always be closing posted:

LOL, I heard steam was cracking down on some of these early access shenanigans.

Nah, Gabe Newell needs to feed his doughnut addiction some how.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

The white board of things they wanted to get in the game before EA (aka the poo poo that is allegedly holding them up):

Details regarding whatever it is we're supposed to use the tickets and special servers for:

quote:

When we announced Early Access being on January 15th yesterday we didn't go into much detail about Event servers.

When we launch January 15th we will have many different servers with different rulesets. Some examples.

No Zombies
Zombie headshot only (only kill zombies with a headshot).
PVE

and just about anything we can think of to put behind a ruleset. Everyone, regardless of which sku they buy will get access to all these different servers. How many of each server type is still unknown and closer to launch we'll nail that down.

These alternate rulesets are different than what we call the Event Servers. These servers allow us to do things along the lines of Battle Royale and to have more limited access to those servers. Our goal here is to make it so you can earn tickets to the event servers and play there completely free just by playing the game. We'll also offer tickets for sale (we're talking $.99 here) and we'll offer a bunch of these tickets as part of the more expensive of our skus ($39.99) but if you just want to play the game you can do it for $19.99 and you can expect to get free tickets as you play the game.

We'll be figuring out other Event Server types down the line and offer prizing, etc for people who participate. Very similar to what Hearthstone does with The Arena.
hope this helps explain a bit more.

Smed

So basically access to some aspects of gameplay is being gated behind a time-wall or a pay-wall. Alternatively, access to easier ways to obtain gear or something is available by playing on the servers accessible via tickets or something. It doesn't really sound reassuring, regardless of how you consider it.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

I guess as long as there's a pleb class and I can be a part of it.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
What ever happened to paying $15 a month, for fucks sake.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Vulcan posted:

As opposed to $20 or $40 one time...? I think I am missing something.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Kizurue posted:

As opposed to $20 or $40 one time...? I think I am missing something.

As opposed to micro transactions.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Gullible people with fat wallets gotta ruin it for the rest of us.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

They have always said there were going to be micro-transactions, it's not new. The only new part is being able to earn the tickets without spending money.

RainMaker
Oct 25, 2012

This is me every time you post.

Vulcan posted:

I pray every night that the microtransaction model will crash and we return to the glory days of subscription, but god doesn't exist so here we are....

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Arcade posted:

Gullible people with fat wallets gotta ruin it for the rest of us.

Actually they make it so you can play games free. There's basically WoW and FFXIV for games with monthly fees that are managing some level of competent service with a monthly fee attached, everyone else poo poo the bed there. Every game with no monthly is kept going by a bunch of whales with mental problems that drop a shitload of money on tedious bullshit, allowing everyone else to get like 90% of the content for free. Monthly fees don't magically make developers competent, nor does it stop them from adding microtransactions anyway. What you have now is a system that generally gives the most content to the most people for the least amount of money.

Jejunity Jay
Sep 18, 2012

Kizurue posted:

They have always said there were going to be micro-transactions, it's not new. The only new part is being able to earn the tickets without spending money.
They said the micro transactions would be cosmetic from memory so this is a little different although not exactly the end of the world if done right.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Jejunity Jay posted:

They said the micro transactions would be cosmetic from memory so this is a little different although not exactly the end of the world if done right.

True enough they did state cosmetic. At least these tickets sound like they are for game modes I have no interest in.

Kizurue fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 12, 2014

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Kizurue posted:

True enough they did state cosmetic. At least these tickets sound like they are for game modes I have no interest in.

I don't think the ticketed game modes are things I would have even thought about unless they brought it up.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

hitachi posted:

I don't think the ticketed game modes are things I would have even thought about unless they brought it up.

I think the concern is that there will be interplay between ticketed game modes and the F2P stuff that could be construed as "pay to win." Crude example that I totally just made up and may not be representative of what will actually be implemented: If one ticketed game mode is an FFA deathmatch that costs 1 ticket per round and involves some number of players, and the winner of the round gets, say, a rifle that his character in the F2P portion can use, then people argue that this is pay to win since you use money to gain faster access to something people find particularly valuable. Of course, something like this is also predicated on a person being skilled enough to use such a system effectively.

In any case, I think it's a pretty pointless line of debate because when you encounter someone in the world, you don't know how long they spent getting their gear or where they got it from. And quite frankly, it doesn't matter. What matters is that you're in an encounter with them, and you have to deal with that. The outcome of that encounter is independent of how either person's gear was acquired, and in the long-run, even pay-to-win gear should get redistributed throughout the player population. The only way I could see this mattering is if there is some sort of feature that involves a race against time, since buying gears is faster than scavenging. But since this is perma-death and people will be dying and respawning all over, and asymmetrical encounters will be normal, I see no space for serious debate about the horribleness of pay to win.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

True enough on the possibility of rewards for game modes but to be honest until that announcement I didn't even know there were going to be game modes and if it gives someone a shiney new rifle like in your example, well that's just someone to collect a rifle from.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This MMO looks like a huge disappointment. I don't understand why we can't have an MMO that has the community working together in a zombie survival scenario. I hate DayZ and was hoping this would fill that niche.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

This MMO looks like a huge disappointment. I don't understand why we can't have an MMO that has the community working together in a zombie survival scenario. I hate DayZ and was hoping this would fill that niche.

The vast majority of people really do not seem to want this. Everyone wants conflict at some point, and PvP conflict is the best sort of conflict available. You can run around with goons and work within a goonmunity, probably, but let's not pretend that having a giant hugbox in which everyone happily cooperates to establish an agrarian society in the wake of the apocalypse sounds like much fun.

That said, there will be PvE servers so people who get really worked up about PvP conflict can just be quarantined there.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

LuciferMorningstar posted:

The vast majority of people really do not seem to want this. Everyone wants conflict at some point, and PvP conflict is the best sort of conflict available. You can run around with goons and work within a goonmunity, probably, but let's not pretend that having a giant hugbox in which everyone happily cooperates to establish an agrarian society in the wake of the apocalypse sounds like much fun.

That said, there will be PvE servers so people who get really worked up about PvP conflict can just be quarantined there.

Yeah I know my opinion isn't popular, but it is just something I've always wanted from a zombie survival game. State of Decay is very close to what I'm looking for.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Reminder that this thing comes out on the 15th of this month. They just launched the Steam Store page for it, and they had some streaming event today. All that said, I can't help but feel that this is going to be a massive flop, and that it might be a reasonably good idea to not buy this on the 15th, since my guess is it's going to be a disaster.

E: Here's what you get, depending on how much you pay:

This Standard Edition Bundle ($19.99 USD) grants you:
Early Access to H1Z1
3 Event Tickets (Roughly $2.97)
1 Key (Unknown Cost)
2 Crates (Unknown Cost)

The Premium Edition Bundle ($39.99 USD) grants you:
Early Access to H1Z1
25 Event Tickets (Roughly $24.75)
3 Airdrop Tickets (Unknown Cost)
4 Keys (Unknown Cost)
6 Crates (Unknown Cost)
Exclusive Aviator Hat Crafting Recipe
Keys & Crates
Keys open crates.
Crates are cosmetic only
Crates can be earned over time (length unknown)

Tickets
Top 1/3rd (roughly 10 players) of a Battle Royale gamemode round (32 players) will receive another "ticket" as a "payout" (reward).
"Event Tickets" are Pay-to-Play (valued at $0.99 each USD) but can drop in-game for free. SOE has not released specifics such as ticket duration (ie. potential number of rounds) or in-game drop-rate.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 10, 2015

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
It's still going to be better than dayz because it will actually have content in it and won't be inside of a piece of poo poo engine.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cacodad posted:

It's still going to be better than dayz because it will actually have content in it and won't be inside of a piece of poo poo engine.

I played it at SOE Live

it did not have content

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Cacodad posted:

They flat out said, word for word, it will not be better than DayZ.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

LuciferMorningstar posted:

You can run around with goons and work within a goonmunity, probably, but let's not pretend that having a giant hugbox in which everyone happily cooperates to establish an agrarian society in the wake of the apocalypse sounds like much fun.

This actually sounds like an incredibly fun game and I would love to play it. Someone make this game.

E: the first one of you who says "hurr hurr just play on a casual server" is a dumbshit and deserves nothing but contempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Rexicon1 posted:

This actually sounds like an incredibly fun game and I would love to play it. Someone make this game.

E: the first one of you who says "hurr hurr just play on a casual server" is a dumbshit and deserves nothing but contempt

If it has more stuff to do than DayZ, but better quality than the WarZ (Or whatever that piece of poo poo is called now), I will be satisfied.

Especially if we can all run around with no pants on like in Rust and stab people to death with spears.

• Locked thread