Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

BombiTheZombie posted:

Zombies again, how surprising. When will some hack writer write a twilight-esque novel about teenage zombies who are just misunderstood so we can get over this poo poo?

I am so sorry to tell you this but this already exists and it's called Warm Bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
When will the circle complete and we start going back to WW2 games again?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

When will the circle complete and we start going back to WW2 games again?

WW2 Zombie survival mmo..

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

iminers posted:

WW2 Zombie survival mmo..

I don't even care; I would play the poo poo out of this.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

If it's a good game then it won't really matter if it's zombies, aliens, dragons or robots. They are about 5 years late to the zombie train, but these large, ancient game companies are also the least imaginative and slowest.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This game is Dayz with microtransactions. For all its problems, I paid $30 and will never have to pay more and am still receiving content updates. Yeah, it has lovely netcode with dudes zipping all over and poo poo. They are working on things. This game will be a hard sell, especially the monetization, with Dayz mod and standalone around. I would rather pay $30-$50 for a game and get some quality poo poo. Mind you, lots of $30-$50 games have forgone the quality but stuck with the poo poo. Free to play is garbage.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
If they actually have Rust-style player constructions in this, then I am definitely sold. The level of involvement that SOE is letting the community have is pretty drat promising as well. The H1Z1 subreddit (I know, Reddit :barf:) has full blown requests for ideas from Smedley himself.

SOE has a horrific track record, but the way they're handling it so far is very encouraging. Put me down as "cautiously optimistic".

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

vandalism posted:

Free to play is garbage.

Considering the extremely polished games it produced compared to this "early access" bullshit I'd say F2P games are fine. Especially considering I never spend money in F2P games ever and have found very few of them I'm not completely viable in. There's always a way to use intelligence to beat people in F2P games.

DayZ is a bug ridden mess who's lead quit on it so if I can play this instead for free I probably will as SoE actually puts out polished games instead of paid alpha/betas (steam's entire early access lineup).

Azurrat posted:

SOE has a horrific track record

Compared to what other F2P company? Because most F2P companies are pretty much far worse than SoE.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Extra posted:

Compared to what other F2P company? Because most F2P companies are pretty much far worse than SoE.

"Cat poo poo is worse than dog poo poo, so dog poo poo isn't that bad"

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

vandalism posted:

This game is Dayz with microtransactions. For all its problems, I paid $30 and will never have to pay more and am still receiving content updates. Yeah, it has lovely netcode with dudes zipping all over and poo poo. They are working on things. This game will be a hard sell, especially the monetization, with Dayz mod and standalone around. I would rather pay $30-$50 for a game and get some quality poo poo. Mind you, lots of $30-$50 games have forgone the quality but stuck with the poo poo. Free to play is garbage.

Yea but DayZ is garbage too? I mean I haven't played a Zombie Survivor MMO that isn't garbage and I think thats part of the reason people are so loving burnt out on them. Every Zombie Survivor MMO to date has been clunky, full of hackers, bugged, has poorly implemented features and almost every single one feels like it was hacked together as a HL mod instead of being a game.

I do not think a f2p zombie MMO by SOE is going to be a hard sell because it will probably feel more like a game than DayZ when its released. I hated The War Z because it was so full of hackers, had lovely graphics, but it was more of a game than DayZ is today. Don't get me wrong, since I purchased DayZ there's been plenty of progress, but its still a giant steaming pile of poo poo. I am as burnt out as anybody else on zombie survivors, but if H1Z1 is even slightly more polished than DayZ with a developer that supports it as much as PS2 has been supported than its going to be way, way more successful than any of the other alternatives.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Come on now, people, keep an open mind. We don't really know enough about the game to judge yet. Hold no expectations for this and if it turns out good, yay we have a fun game to play. If it turns out poo poo, oh well. Drop it and laugh at how quickly the player count plummets.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Damegane posted:

Come on now, people, keep an open mind. We don't really know enough about the game to judge yet. Hold no expectations for this and if it turns out good, yay we have a fun game to play. If it turns out poo poo, oh well. Drop it and laugh at how quickly the player count plummets.

This request will fall on deaf ears. I dont know if you saw the posts in the first month of Dayz's alpha release or not, but they were horrifying. These guys click through EULA's and warnings about playing an unfinished game, then go off the rails about the games being unfinished. :cmon:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Reason posted:

I do not think a f2p zombie MMO by SOE is going to be a hard sell because it will probably feel more like a game than DayZ when its released. I hated The War Z because it was so full of hackers, had lovely graphics, but it was more of a game than DayZ is today. Don't get me wrong, since I purchased DayZ there's been plenty of progress, but its still a giant steaming pile of poo poo. I am as burnt out as anybody else on zombie survivors, but if H1Z1 is even slightly more polished than DayZ with a developer that supports it as much as PS2 has been supported than its going to be way, way more successful than any of the other alternatives.

Yeah, the problem has really been a stupidly-low standard. DayZ-mod was excused because it was a mod for a game that was already pretty janky. No one can help that, you work with what you've got. The second people started trying to make a "real" or "serious" zombie survival game, though, that excuse went out the window. Despite this, no one has managed to honestly finish what they've started, and they don't show signs of doing so any time soon. DayZ has been the most honest about being an alpha that is not necessarily fit for play, which is good and responsible, but still largely unfortunate. With most other developers, you could get that they really were in over their heads and/or just trying to cash in. DayZ, though, after making literal millions, is still plodding along in terms of development. This isn't necessarily a problem, but it does suggest that creating a polished product that covers features people want is really loving hard. Alternatively, BI made a bunch of bad basic design decisions, like using the wrong engine for the job. Either way, turns out it's really easy to gently caress up making a game. This has probably always been true, but wasn't as apparent since mechanisms to convince people to pay for an unfinished product didn't exist. The whole "early access" phenomenon has been simultaneously a boon and a curse. The hope here, I think, is that SOE, being a "real" and "serious" company, has to meet a certain standard of polish in the stuff they put out because they have a reputation to uphold. Coming Monday, we'll see if they're going to meet expectations or not. It's not necessarily true that they will, but they have the best shot of doing so out of any existing contenders.

E: Lots of words. tldr I have hope in SOE because they have the most resources and the biggest reputation to uphold. They could still gently caress it up, but any fuckups will probably be on a significantly smaller scale than the janky poo poo in other games.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 14, 2014

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm just disappointed that someone at SOE (Was it Smed? He's not that dumb, no way) actually said "yep, a day Z clone is what SWG fans will be excited about. Let's tell them we've got something they'll like coming up!"

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

THE PWNER posted:

I'm just disappointed that someone at SOE (Was it Smed? He's not that dumb, no way) actually said "yep, a day Z clone is what SWG fans will be excited about. Let's tell them we've got something they'll like coming up!"

Looks like the only thing in common so far is PvP and crafting, and I guess by extension of that, housing?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Azurrat posted:

"Cat poo poo is worse than dog poo poo, so dog poo poo isn't that bad"

Get used to it, because F2P is the way the industry is heading.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

F2P is just another business model. There are enough examples where it works out fine for all sides.

This game might find it's niche, because there definitely is demand for a game like that and the current games in this niche have quite some room for improvement. Since it's not clear how long the whole zombie/postapocalypse trend will continue it's also positive that they will push out a first playable version in one or two months.

So from a business perspective H1Z1 seems like a good, solid investment... I still have problems to get excited by it though.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

THE PWNER posted:

Smedley is really dumb, so yeah that kind of statement wouldn't surprise me at all.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

BombiTheZombie posted:

Isn't this what State of Decay was supposed to be but less "build anything"?

The state of decay devs are supposedly hopping in on the mmo thing as well...

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/12/pax-east-2014-state-of-decay-eyes-multiplayer-stays-offline/

Honestly Undead Labs should be the only company allowed to make any zombie themed game at this point.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I hope the next zombie game is Zombie Rollercoaster Tycoon

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

I hope the next zombie game is Zombie Rollercoaster Tycoon

Star Wars Zombie: Knights of the dead republic.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

iminers posted:

Star Wars Zombie: Knights of the dead republic.

Wouldn't be the first zombie Star Wars thing. That would be the time Han Solo got caught on a star destroyer full of storm trooper zombies.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I think this is great news - for a long time the survival / base-building genre has been the domain of hacks like Rocket. It's nice to see a competent studio that can actually live up to what they promise hopping into the arena. The fact that it's SOE using the Forgelight engine no less makes me think this will be awesome.

I'm really tired of seeing the zombies = bad game argument being trotted out. If a game is bad, it's going to be bad for a whole bunch of reasons. It's like when Rust swapped out their zombies for mutated animals - it changed nothing about the gameplay. I think zombies stand out a lot, so they end up being the whipping boy for people just generally not liking the game.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Live stream of current build is scheduled for this Thursday. No specific time yet.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

dylguy90 posted:

I think this is great news - for a long time the survival / base-building genre has been the domain of hacks like Rocket. It's nice to see a competent studio that can actually live up to what they promise hopping into the arena. The fact that it's SOE using the Forgelight engine no less makes me think this will be awesome.

I'm really tired of seeing the zombies = bad game argument being trotted out. If a game is bad, it's going to be bad for a whole bunch of reasons. It's like when Rust swapped out their zombies for mutated animals - it changed nothing about the gameplay. I think zombies stand out a lot, so they end up being the whipping boy for people just generally not liking the game.

Zombies dont make a good game bad but they do make it worse. Once a monster is played out, like zombies and vampires are at this point, it loses what makes it an effective monster. Vampires stood for gluttony, hedonistic pleasure and fear of sexuality but those values have been lost with their overexposure. Zombies are in the same spot, with their underlying values of social criticism, fear of a herd mentality and the breakdown of society have been pushed to the side.

Nowadays zombies are put into a game because, like nazis/robots/aliens, they are something you can kill by the thousands without feeling remorse. Also, there are only so many ways you can lawnmower thousands of them at a time before it becomes the same old thing.

Just a bit of subjective sperging about dumb horror movie monsters.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
SOE did a great job with Planetside 2, so I've got a lot of confidence for them with this game.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Eonwe posted:

SOE did a great job with Planetside 2, so I've got a lot of confidence for them with this game.

Yup, Planetside 2 on PS3 was really quite fun. Wish they would hurry up and get it on the PS4. The only thing I miss about playing MMOs on the PC was grouping up with goon guilds; really looking for the same on the PS4 since I sold off my gaming PC.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

BombiTheZombie posted:

Zombies dont make a good game bad but they do make it worse. Once a monster is played out, like zombies and vampires are at this point, it loses what makes it an effective monster. Vampires stood for gluttony, hedonistic pleasure and fear of sexuality but those values have been lost with their overexposure. Zombies are in the same spot, with their underlying values of social criticism, fear of a herd mentality and the breakdown of society have been pushed to the side.

Nowadays zombies are put into a game because, like nazis/robots/aliens, they are something you can kill by the thousands without feeling remorse. Also, there are only so many ways you can lawnmower thousands of them at a time before it becomes the same old thing.

Just a bit of subjective sperging about dumb horror movie monsters.

This is a good general criticism, I think, and one that I had never really considered, but I don't know how applicable it is to video games, least of all an MMO. In a medium where story is very important, I think your criticism would hold water, a la The Walking Dead where zombies are typically made to be whatever the story needs them to be, which is lazy and inconsistent. In an MMO, though, the story is secondary to basically everything else, and really only, I think, provides a basic explanation for why things are the way they are. You can't provide much more story than that without coercing players into following certain paths or obeying arbitrary restrictions, though it would perhaps be interesting to do so on various occasions.

Additionally, zombies are pretty good as enemies in the sense that, in theory, they should be easy to implement while remaining threatening. They don't have to have an advanced AI because that's not what makes them threatening. The threat is that they're seemingly innumerable, require no resources, and are generally resilient to most injuries. You don't need to, as a developer, spend a lot of time trying to develop an advanced AI or allocating server resources to managing an advanced AI. Other enemies demand a more robust AI. You could replace the zombies with some other kind of enemy, but if, behaviorally, they're the same, the difference is effectively nonexistent.

The only way, I think, that zombies can make a game worse is if they're poorly implemented. Unfortunately, that has been the case with basically all the survival games thus far. WarZ's zombies have to be hit in the head, but they're incredibly slow and have horrid/easily-abused pathing. DayZ's zombies clip through walls and can behave weirdly, and moreover, they take damage on all parts of their body. Nether replaced the zombies with alien-demon things that could teleport, but they were still effectively zombies that got cheap shots in on you by teleporting to random locations (like right behind you). State of Decay did a great job with zombies by keeping numbers consistent and relatively high, having relatively good pathing, and demanding that you destroy the head. If SOE follows the State of Decay example, then things should work out pretty well.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

^ Very well said.

Bombi, I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think Zombies have been "played out". That's like saying games about aliens or crime has been "played out". I think there have been a lot of poorly made zombie games trying to cash in on the few well-made zombie games, and that comes across as disingenuous and bad, because it is. Zombies, like any other prop, are just a tool that can be used to deliver any type of message. There will always be room in the world for a zombie game or movie that makes us think about our lives in an original way.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The main problem is that most zombie games are loving awful, not that zombies are necessarily bad, in my opinion. The engine that Planetside 2 uses has been proven to handle a lot of players covering a lot of distance, with tons of projectiles, flying, grenade spam, etc and not poo poo itself. Their more recent iterations on Planetside 2 continents have also shown they have learned a lot about map making. Additionally, they've been handling EQ Next Landmark incredibly well. They've been open with the community, their servers were remarkably stable even on the opening day, etc.

I'm not saying I'm sure this will be a great game, but it really has the potential to be a lot of fun. At the very least they are using the Forgelight engine rather than ARMAs lovely Real Virtuality engine.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I'm starting to doubt that SOE actually has a sufficiently-robust plan to prevent this from simply being a murder simulator. It seems to the case that they're steering clear of skills and leveling, which implies that characters will be extremely substitutable. While the equality of ability is, I suppose, nice, it doesn't do much to make people concerned about losing their characters. If we can build bases, then we can presumably store loot. Consequently, once a group is established enough to stockpile, the threat of death totally disappears. If you die, you run back to base and get a new set of gear. I like getting back into the action as much as anyone else, but some incentive to try to keep your group alive, rather than throwing bodies at a problem, would be nice.

The only way that stops being the case is if SOE implements arbitrary restrictions on spawn locations and the like, so that's concerning.

E: People found a few more pictures.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 16, 2014

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I'm starting to doubt that SOE actually has a sufficiently-robust plan to prevent this from simply being a murder simulator.
That was the vibe I got from it as well. I think they just need to find the sweet spot where players will actually benefit from working together outside of externally formed groups, compared to the shoot-first mentality that was common in DayZ back when I tried it out. At least in terms of their recent track record, SOE definitely seems to be trying to listen to their playerbase. Hopefully the livestream will answer some questions for us.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that
I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic about this in thinking that it might turn out to be a simplified DayZ for people who want a DayZ experience without a diarrhea simulator.
You know, like me.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
I have to admit I am looking forward to it. If it has a base building system like Rust and some of the more survival aspects of DayZ I will be happy. That and the fact I can burn down peoples buildings and set players on fire already has me happy.

dinnerrollofdoom
Jan 30, 2014

Kizurue posted:

I have to admit I am looking forward to it. If it has a base building system like Rust and some of the more survival aspects of DayZ I will be happy. That and the fact I can burn down peoples buildings and set players on fire already has me happy.

I am in the same boat, I will give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to SOE making this game.

If they can find that sweet spot where Co-op means something, and crafting isn't terrible, (I <3 crafting) they could maybe have something.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Live stream supposedly starts here in an hour and ten minutes (6 PM Pacific).

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Note dump. Will edit as things come up.

Melee weapon is kind of far over to the right side of the screen. Axe model looks unskinned, but whatever. That's not a huge issue. Not saying it doesn't look nice. It's just all a metallic gray color, with the word "SCHENK" engraved on the back of the blade. Very crisp, sharp looking. Maybe that's how it's supposed to look, I just assumed there'd be more color. Like maybe a wooden handle with a metal blade?

Acoustic/visual zombie responses

Feels similar visually to WarZ/SoD

No "on-demand" map

Zombies are in a questionable state. Some of them appear to react, a lot of them just kind of loiter and growl, though. They don't seem fast, either.

Cars are in, they look pretty good, and they handle reasonably well. Zombie splatting with ragdoll is in.

COW SPOTTED. Look at that fat fucker run. And a deer?

Picked up Clegg in a car.

Emotes a la DayZ appear to be in.

Lol ran over Clegg.

Mentioned digging a hole under someone. Yay?

The world seems pretty loving big. Like, they've been driving around for a few minutes, and I'm seeing a lot of trees.

Apparently it's a pretty small team. That said, this is already looking a lot better than literally everything else in the genre.

Hey, crossing a pretty long concrete bride. Looked pretty nice.

They've got other designers running around. Looks pretty smooth. Kind if hilarious that even the devs can't resist the urge to gank this poo poo out of each other sometimes.

Pretty good shadows, namely form the trees.

Just hit a piece of chainlink fence and it broke apart.

Playtest every day, twice a day. Very rapid iterations.

Can crash cars, flip them over. They'll blow up in short order.

Back to main, zombies are working now.

There's a whole destructible system. One barrel will blow up another, chain reactions, etc.

Status symbols pop up in white text in the top-middle of the screen.

:siren: Aiming for 4 weeks to early access :siren:

drat, zombies are not a joke. They do a weird sort of run and are maybe slightly slower than the player is when running. They can get into a line, but they do a good job spreading out and surrounding when they close in.

Low health grays your screen and creates bluriness on the edges.

"Guns are incredibly rare in this game."

Near-instant item-in-hand switching.

Cone of fire system, I think. They're trying to model recoil meaningfully and not creating a twitch shooter. He's shooting, but it seems like the pistol is fairly accurate so I'm not terrible concerned.

JUMPING.

Barebones inventory and crafting system. It's just basically a list of recipes and a square with a bunch of slots.

Oh what the hell he just placed a big loving shed. AND MOUNTED A SEPARATE DOOR that snaps to the hinges. Opens and closes.

Nice sunset. Very cool. And night gets dark and kind of misty.

Setting zombies on fire with a torch is a thing. And the torch provides some local light.

Headlights on cars, and they look good. And god drat it's even darker. Like, driving down a country road and can't see anything beyond your headlights dark.

Morning is a little less impressive than sunset, but whatever.

Starving is a thing.

Looks like they're visiting a dam. In terms of scenery, this game is beating the everloving poo poo out of everything else.

If you die, your loot is probably gone. Yeah, you can make it back to your body, but that's probably not likely.

Cars are a luxury. They're rolling all over the place, but only because they can keep dev-hacking cars when they crash.

"I think I hit the pedal before I got out" as the car drifts away after exiting.

Zombies don't seem to demand headshots, but they're nasty enough that it may not be necessary. They don't seem to be easy to stun-lock, and once you're mobbed, it's pretty much over.

Anywhere America, growing outward. They're building towns, but that doesn't stop the players from doing whatever they want. Like I said, they placed a shed. And then put a door on it. Given enough building templates, people could seriously build a town in the middle of nowhere.

Some kind of coordinate-based system. They're using it to teleport, I think, but it might make coordinating somewhat easier.

"There are wolves in the wilderness. There are deer. Wolves try to kill deer. Zombies try to kill everything."

All servers are persistent and hosted by SOE.

The dynamic lighting is good. I really like it.

:lol: they just torched a dude and now he's burning

They've got a lot of great minor details that other games really miss out on. For example, they've got trash cans in front of houses that looks almost exactly like the one that I put out.

ANSWERING TWITTER QUESTIONS BECAUSE TWITCH IS A MESS

"Not ready to talk about monetization." They really don't have it figured out, that's the impression I'm getting.

"Controllers are a different beast." They definitely don't have anything set for that yet, and it's clearly not a priority.

Team is apparently something like 17 people, but outside help is called on when necessary. SOE seems willing to shift its resources around as necessary.

Tom Schenk's favorite color is red.

Dynamic weather is a thing. Tom mentioned an ecosystem, and an overarching system that tracks all that stuff.

How will they deal with hackers? "Quickly." I don't know how PS2 is, the PS2 people scoff at SOE's efforts, so...

Early access looks like it's going to be $19.99, 4 weeks from today. They seem pretty comfortable saying that, and quite frankly, it looks like they could release it right now and it would be in better shape than the competition.

Can loot dead bodies.

"We do have destructible objects. Fire jumps, all that sort of thing." I saw their cars explode. I saw them run through a fence. They hatchet'd an oil barrel until it started burning, and then it blew up.

"Hordes of zombies are very much there." They didn't check that out because they only have one dude streaming and the general thought is that he'd get wrecked on his own.

Yes to bullet drop. Same stuff as PS2 is available, but they're tuning it more, as well. They're tweaking it toward realism, taking into account bullet velocity, mass, etc.

Zombies react to their environment. They look for things to eat, for sound, etc. So they'll do stuff even when people aren't around.

"It's not FPS first. It's survival sim first, but not sim before fun. We don't want to do anything just because 'real.' ...We want to keep that urgency without making it unfun [with regard to hunger and whatnot]."

STREAM IS OVER -- That means I'm done dumping poo poo here. All in all, I'm extremely pleased with what I saw and I will definitely be throwing $20 at SOE as soon as I'm able.

Last thing: Here is a link to a recording of the stream. Well-worth a watch, though you probably want to hop around to get a good survey, unless you want to watch the whole hour.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 18, 2014

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
So far the stream has not done anything to deter me from this game. My only real hopes is that they expand the inventory and flush out the crafting system a bit more. I do like the fact that you can create a dew collector and animal traps for a source of food and water. Gotta say I am looking forward to it. As a player who enjoyed the poo poo out of Rust this seems to have everything it did and more.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Kizurue posted:

So far the stream has not done anything to deter me from this game. My only real hopes is that they expand the inventory and flush out the crafting system a bit more. I do like the fact that you can create a dew collector and animal traps for a source of food and water. Gotta say I am looking forward to it. As a player who enjoyed the poo poo out of Rust this seems to have everything it did and more.

Yeah, I really winced at the inventory setup. At this point, I have to assume that it's just one of those polish things can wait until later without any real negative consequences. Apparently this has only been in development for about six months, though, so it's reassuring to see that they actually developed the core content ahead of the frills. Similarly, knowing that this project has only been going on for such a small amount of time is incredibly reassuring because it basically shows that SOE only started on this AFTER everyone else had already been working on it for anywhere from a few months (in the case of games like Nether) to literal years (in the case of DayZ).

E: Interesting monetization idea Smedley just announced... It's basically Kickstarter for server customizations.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

LuciferMorningstar posted:

E: Interesting monetization idea Smedley just announced... It's basically Kickstarter for server customizations.

That seems needlessly complicated and entirely unnecessary.

Regarding the stream, I was left feeling pretty impressed with the whole thing. I can't say anything about how it may do long term, but I've got no problem throwing $20 at this when it hits Steam in four weeks.

• Locked thread