Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD
shitload of news today.

quote:

Hello fellow Infected,
I'd like to announce a new feature for H1Z1. Player Servers. Similar to other games from SOE, H1Z1 is an MMO. We will launch with different rulesets and variants to cater to different playstyles.
We're excited about taking our dedication to letting you get a say in our games to a whole new level with Player Servers.
The idea is simple - If a community of our players wants to host a server with a specific theme or ruleset then we're going to do our best to give it to them. players will recieve a pledge token for free if they've played more than 5 hours. This pledge token can be used to cast a vote for a server. But use it wisely. You only get one free one per year. Make sure it's a community you believe in and that has a good chance to succeed because we're going to set the bar such that the community can sustain an MMO server (more details will be announced later). If you find yourself dying to vote on another server initiative we'll also sell pledge tokens but you can only use 2 pledge tokens a year max. So again, it's up to you but we want to make sure if we build it you're coming. We're also going to refund the station cash you used to buy it to your account if the Player Server Initiative succeeds. The Pledge token also comes with a wearable that's going to look sweet.
Why refund it if it succeeds? Simple - we really want to give you the kind of servers you want. We're going to set that bar high. If it succeeds, you've built a community of fellow players you want and as our customers we want to give you that. But we also need some indication of reality in order to make this work.
At SOE we've been doing a whole lot of asking our players what you think of our ideas. This is no exception. If you have better ones, we are all ears.
Hope you dig this.
Smed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
From the stream it already looks like it plays better than DayZ.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi
"The Walking Smed" shows some promise, gonna have to wait and see to make my mind up about it. It can't be worse than the DayZ Standalone is.

dinnerrollofdoom
Jan 30, 2014

Levarris posted:

It can't be worse than the DayZ Standalone is.

My thoughts exactly, I will be tossing 20$ at this game lol.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
As a long-time player of WarZ/ISS (yes, I know it's horrible and hack-ridden), I remember so many times when we would get frustrated or pissed off at the hacks/crashes/general shittiness and the quote was always "I can't wait til a decent studio take a run at this genre". WarZ has its share of proplems (GI, hacks, complete lack of a reason to coop, etc), DayZ is too boring and none of the others come close in my opinion. I'm cautiously looking forward to seeing what this team can do.

I'm definitely in the :20bux: crew.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
So I guess there is a pretty vocal group of people who are making the case that the stream was of low-quality and reflects poorly on the project. Considering the competition and contextual information, I have no idea what they think they're bitching about, but it was apparently enough to prompt what I am interpreting as an indirect response from Smedley:

quote:

That stream today didn't go quite as planned.. the server they were on had an issue and we had to restart it. That meant we didn't get time to show everything we wanted to.
Next week we will have a lot more to show including crafting, building and a lot more about the survival aspects of the game. All that stuff is in there. Not all of it's perfect but it's really getting fun. So we'll show it to you. Didn't mean to take the extended ride in the jeep.
Answers to common questions I saw:
1) We will have first and third person. Third person will not give you LOS over obstacles. We intend to make it more of a preference. I find myself switching to it occasionally but I love combat in first person. To those who say we can't serve two masters - play the game before you judge.
2) Vehicles will be in third person only. Could this change? Maybe but that's what we're putting in for now.
3) Why was there so much stuff around 15 years later - we wanted to show you how the mechanics worked. Simple as that. We intend to make surviving a lot about catching your food. Longer term about growing it and protecting it.
4) How is this different from Day Z? - saw this a lot. Not going to give some politically correct dodgy b.s. answer. It is a survival in a Zombie Apocalypse game. So is Day Z. They have made a brilliant game (first I might add). They have a great vision for it and can count myself and most of the people on our team as fans and contributors.
We're making the game we're making. Long term we plan on making this about a persistent world with a big landscape with thousands of players. The way we would like to see this roll out is much more like players building small enclaves or pockets of territory and hold out against a legitimate zombie threat that's ever present while others go it alone taking their chances.. These player built structures, forts and towns are one of the ways the players try to carve out some small space in a dangerous world.
We also want to make sure we have a deep in-game economy that is heavily dependent on crafting. Players will be able to become manufacturers.. sell bullets, arrows.. etc. The in-game economy will be entirely player driven.
So this is our take on the Zombie Apocalypse with a lot of friends and hopefully some great enemies both living and dead. We're proud to be up front and say we love Day Z and the job they've done and we hope they enjoy what we make too.
I can say this another way.
I love 28 Days and 28 Days Later I love World War Z I love Warm Bodies (oh come on you did too you) I love Night of the Living Dead.. and all the other ones. I love The Walking Dead.
And so do most of you. So sure. We're another Zombie Apocalypse game. Call it what it is. But our goal is to make ours fun, accessible, hard core and super, super deep. As time goes on we hope our take on the end of the world by zombie is fun and lots of people get to try it. You'll also have all the information you need when you start Early Access for $19.99. You can watch others stream it. You can decide to wait till we switch it to Free to Play. Either way you'll see our roadmap and you'll see if it's something that's for you.
Have a good one,
Smed

E: ITT I read Reddit so that you don't have to! More stuff from Jimmy Whisenhunt regarding combat:

quote:

I figured I might as well put all of this in one place since I end up finding the same questions 17 times per hour :p
-Will combat be as fast as was shown during the live stream? No, there are a few features coming online that will allow me to start tuning for slower combat. This includes things like 1:1 head movement but slower arm movement, ready states for melee (just right clicking), and weapon specific melee anim sets. Weapon/tool swap times will also be drastically slower than shown.
-Will zombies die from 1 headshot from a gun? Right now, sure, but if you've got a .22 or .380 it may not.
-Will there be free-look/alt-look/head turning? Yes.
-Will there be military spec weaponry in the game? Right now our focus is getting weapons that you could feasibly find in a civilians house. You'll find some nice AR-15s (semi-auto), shotguns, 1911s and the like. Not saying we wont eventually add some military weaponry, I'm not naive enough to assume people wouldn't have made their own modifications or stolen equipment during the events leading to our games state of the world.
Those are the questions I've answered 5-15 times, post any other questions in here and I'll attempt to answer them by editing the top post and responding to your comment.
Progress!

And since I think it's a good idea to try to be as pessimistic and critical of this as possible (hard though it may be), I wonder if the ability to place buildings will become problematic from a clutter perspective. While the idea of players developing areas spontaneously is neat, we all know pubbies are liable to just smack poo poo down willy-nilly, and it could be weird to run through a literal maze of sheds out in the middle of the woods.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 18, 2014

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Why did it have to be zombie?, They could of just said primitive space alien bugs landed on Earth instead and it would be a better premise.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I wish there was a filter for posts whining about zombie games in a zombie game thread. Thanks for sharing that you don't like this genre. Feel free to find another thread to poo poo up.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I wouldn't say I'm hyped but I am looking forward to this. Nether has shown it doesn't matter if you try to do things differently if you have no money

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BadLlama posted:

Why did it have to be zombie?, They could of just said primitive space alien bugs landed on Earth instead and it would be a better premise.

Having survival games in different settings will be cool one day when it happens. I hope dinosaurs or other planets, but I think that survival games are in their infancy right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Reason posted:

Having survival games in different settings will be cool one day when it happens. I hope dinosaurs or other planets, but I think that survival games are in their infancy right now.

The Stomping Land is a DayZ With Dinosaurs game coming out in the next couple months. :v:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

The Stomping Land is a DayZ With Dinosaurs game coming out in the next couple months. :v:

Oh awesome. It doesn't look absolutely terrible and wow you can tame dinosaurs.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If they borrow the landmark building system and textures, that will be fun.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've only known about DayZ for about a week, in which time I was watching some videos from some Frankie guy on youtube. The way he plays it makes it seem pretty fun. If I can play a game like DayZ over my console with polished controls and a fairly persistent server, I think I would enjoy it. Currently I hate MMO's because it's just a bunch of fairies and orcs and dumb magic poo poo that I don't care about. Something semi modern with issues I can identify with would be much more interesting to me. Since there is no GTA MMO, I will buy this one instead unless the reviews are horrible.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Google Butt posted:

I'm fairly certain they said they weren't doing voxel stuff with this, so no Landmark system.

wilhelm2451
May 2, 2008

Google Butt posted:

The initial word was that it would be based on PlanetSide 2 and would share no tech with Landmark/EQN, so no voxels.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Another big news day, it looks like!

We had our first monetization meeting yesterday posted:

Some of our outcomes. Please note I'll do a comprehensive posting after we're done with this. We have another meeting Thursday to discuss.

1. We will be selling wearables. We felt like this will be a good, fair revenue generator. However - we recognize how important finding wearables in the world is so you'll be able to find and craft a lot of stuff. We agree that's something important. We've also come up with a pretty awesome idea to let players who kill other players loot stuff. So if a player has a black ski mask and gets killed by another player, that player can wear the ski mask for a few deaths (we have durability in the game. Station Cash wearables won't degrade at all but when you loot something.. it will degrade. Please note the original player always keeps their SC purchased wearables. This gives the great feeling of whacking some unsuspecting fool who decided to bring a knife to a gun fight.

2. We will NOT be selling Guns, Ammo, Food, Water... i.e. That's kind of the whole game and it would suck in our opinion if we did that.

3. Nor will we sell boosts that will impact #2.

4. Emote Pack - of course we'll have the basics for free. But we felt like this is another good and fair revenue generator.

5. Character slots - feels reasonable.

6. Crates - You can find crates sometimes in game. They're filled with random cool stuff from the store. We're considering letting you see what's in them before you buy a key (ala Dota 2.). This idea isn't fully locked yet.

That Monetization thread has turned out to be a terrific source of ideas and it also is helping us steer clear of the stuff you just don't want to see.
More to come late this week.
Smed

Of course, pubbies are freaking out because how dare they monetize anything, least of all character customization!

quote:

I've seen some questions about this. I want to clarify this as it's important to the game.
When you die, your corpse becomes a container with ALL your stuff. Your corpse may end up wandering around if it turns into a zombie and reanimates. But either way it's completely up for grabs.
Station Cash purchased items are always available to you from your locker. We're not going to have you buy something and have you permanently lose it. However, we will allow other players to loot a lower durability version of the item (Station Cash items do not degrade).
So dying is a serious thing in H1Z1. This game is not for the weak.

quote:

An idea was discussed internally yesterday that we really like. It's simple - We will allow players to purchase Air Drops of care packages like food, water. Before you judge - it goes to a random location and is obvious to everyone in the area. Think of it like buying surprises for people in the game that if you're lucky you can try and get yourselves.
However, our real goal here is along the lines of The Hunger Games. A mad rush for supplies followed by a tense standoff. Basically think of it as instant chaos.
How is there anything flying? A few pilots manage to scrounge together enough fuel to make these runs.
Just an idea. Thoughts?
Smed

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
I actually like the bit about Player Servers. I enjoyed DayZ, briefly. Ditto with Rust. But sooner or later the total randomness and lack of structure to the PVP aspects of the games turned me off. Assuming the PVE side of the game is actually decent and well developed, I'd happily vote for a PVE server with clan war functionality for the PVP side, rather than FFA.

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Another big news day, it looks like!

Of course, pubbies are freaking out because how dare they monetize anything, least of all character customization!

Seems like a fair monetization system, let's hope they do stick to point 1., and don't change their minds down the road.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I am curious as to what being a SOE Gold Platinum 1% member will give you if you don't get things like xp boost that you get in PS2 for being a member.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I am curious as to what being a SOE Gold Platinum 1% member will give you if you don't get things like xp boost that you get in PS2 for being a member.

Probably quality of life things. You have access to a ton of content as F2P in EQ1 & EQ2 but the newest expansions are restricted and annoyances like bag space are thrown in for those not 1%.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

BadLlama posted:

So in EQ2 for example you get a handful more character slots, access to higher tiers of the same spell, more currency drops and higher run speed, unrestricted trading/chat/mail system, and you can make guilds.

Off the top of my head in DCUO you get access to all expansions for free and no cap on the money you can hold. EDIT: and ability to make supergroups(guilds).

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Da Mott Man posted:

So in EQ2 for example you get a handful more character slots, access to higher tiers of the same spell, more currency drops and higher run speed, unrestricted trading/chat/mail system, and you can make guilds.

Off the top of my head in DCUO you get access to all expansions for free and no cap on the money you can hold. EDIT: and ability to make supergroups(guilds).

Oh man, I bet they'll end up putting any sort of clan feature behind a pay wall for this, then. That would actually be really unfortunate. Here's hoping they either don't or tie it to at least a currency that is specific to H1Z1.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Oh man, I bet they'll end up putting any sort of clan feature behind a pay wall for this, then. That would actually be really unfortunate. Here's hoping they either don't or tie it to at least a currency that is specific to H1Z1.

Its always been the ability to make a clan that has been behind the paywall, you can still invite free players. I doubt that will change.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Da Mott Man posted:

Its always been the ability to make a clan that has been behind the paywall, you can still invite free players. I doubt that will change.

It's still an obnoxious restriction in the sense that it basically obligates large groups to try to figure out who is willing to shell out and will be around long enough to maintain the group.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
In general, if you're playing SOE games enough to get any serious benefit out of forming a clan/guild you'll likely be subbed somehow anyway. If not, their games pretty much all have custom chat channels that make large group communication manageable.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

quote:

Want to survive H1Z1 or even help shape it's future? Join us this Tuesday April 29th for our first H1Z1 Survivors workshop!

Beginning around 9 AM PT we'll begin an all day livestream which will interview developers, show playtesting, and give you insight into what H1Z1 is all about.

Do you live in Southern California? Head to the SOE studios and get a chance to meet with developers in person and hang out with other survivors. We'll have this available from noon until 5:00 PM PT.

Does none of this interest you? Just go ahead and get some practice in by handing your loot to the guy next to you. We'll see everyone else there!

I... Uh... Okay, I guess? Pleased to hear we'll be seeing more of the game, but I have no idea why they're hosting an open house.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

quote:

We want to have some fun Tuesday to change things up a little. We want you all to tell us what to make on Tuesday. Pick a fun feature we can make for you between 9am and 9pm. You'll get to watch it developed and hear directly from the people implementing it.
Of course, we have yet to get the time machine to function, so I would ask that you pick something reasonable. We'll weigh in in this thread on stuff that wouldn't actually be doable in that time frame.
So this call for ideas is now officially out there. Step up and come up with some cool ideas you want to see in H1Z1.
We will leave this to you to decide. If you can't make a decision we'll pick something fun from your list. But our great preference is for you to figure it out for yourselves. Self Organize. Vote. However you want to do it.
You have until 6pm Monday Pacific time.
Have fun!
Smed

This is an interesting development, and even a promising one.

E: Bonus footage of a pretty substantial amount of zombies wandering through a field as the sun sets.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 26, 2014

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Why not go with mutants, aliens, demons or not disclose it at all. Zombies limit the possibilities for different enemies and situations so much.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

myshl0ng posted:

Why not go with mutants, aliens, demons or not disclose it at all. Zombies limit the possibilities for different enemies and situations so much.

Because this is a zombie survival game? I never really saw them say anywhere that they wouldn't add in other types of enemies but considering the name is H1Z1 I think they know pretty much what they want and the direction they want it to go. What I don't understand is why everyone complains about zombies. I don't have a issue with zombies, I just have a issue with poorly done zombies.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Kizurue posted:

Because this is a zombie survival game? I never really saw them say anywhere that they wouldn't add in other types of enemies but considering the name is H1Z1 I think they know pretty much what they want and the direction they want it to go. What I don't understand is why everyone complains about zombies. I don't have a issue with zombies, I just have a issue with poorly done zombies.

Nerds can be hipsters too. "Zombies? Zombie games were overdone 5 years ago :rolleyes:"

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Azurrat posted:

Nerds can be hipsters too. "Zombies? Zombie games were overdone 5 years ago :rolleyes:"

Not with well done zombies though!

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Kizurue posted:

Not with well done zombies though!

Which is exactly why I'm looking forward to this. lovely games suck, zombies or not. All I care about is whether or not the game itself is good, not what type of mook you kill by the billions. As long as I don't feel a vague sense of guilt for smashing their face in with a brick, I'm happy.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

myshl0ng posted:

:getout:

E: Content

Slightly corny video & new logo:

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 26, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Azurrat posted:

Which is exactly why I'm looking forward to this. lovely games suck, zombies or not. All I care about is whether or not the game itself is good, not what type of mook you kill by the billions. As long as I don't feel a vague sense of guilt for smashing their face in with a brick, I'm happy.

It not being zombies is entirely why I got Nether because it wasn't just zombies.. Sadly well I ended up with nether. That's also why I'm psyched for that dinosaur game someone mentioned earlier.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

Kizurue posted:

Because this is a zombie survival game?
Or a mutant/alien/monster survival game but they decided to go with the most boring option.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

myshl0ng posted:

Or a mutant/alien/monster survival game but they decided to go with the most boring option.

Nobody cares if you don't like zombies. :fuckoff:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, I bet the thread for a zombie game will love my opinion that all zombie games are garbage.

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

powerful weedlock posted:

Man, I bet the thread for a zombie game will love my opinion that all zombie games are garbage.

Then why are you posting here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

Just dealing out some hard truths

• Locked thread