Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Yeah... I don't think a Day Z clone is what SWG players would have in mind, SOE.

Maybe they meant something else...? Guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Peechka posted:

Ummm, dude, PS2 is completely free and you can enjoy 100% of the game FOR FREE. Bitching that you cant get hats and 50%-75% more exp gain for free is not the same thing as P2W. Tell me what you cant do in Planetside 2 that a subscriber that drops $100 a month on the game has, of course other than higher exp gain and hats and camo?

Buy every weapon immediately?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm just disappointed that someone at SOE (Was it Smed? He's not that dumb, no way) actually said "yep, a day Z clone is what SWG fans will be excited about. Let's tell them we've got something they'll like coming up!"

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Article from Polygon discussing their take on the game. No surprises in the article. The only intriguing thing is that the author claims early access is a month away. SOE hasn't said much, but it does seem like their initial 4-6 weeks prediction is going to be off by at least a few weeks, if not more. This would also square with SOE not opening early access until demoing the game at E3. Given the amount of attention they'd probably get, it seems like they have a pretty substantial economic incentive to not do anything until E3, which is another month away.

H1Z1 will hardly be a traditional MMO, though. The main attraction of the game, at the end of the day, will end up being player-on-player encounters, and those tend to end violently. Seems more reasonable to call it shooter with MMO elements and zombies. If they gently caress up the combat elements of the game, then the vast majority of people will lose interest and not play.

And for someone who doesn't have much interest in DayZ, you seem pretty keen to speak generously about it. Reality is that Dean Hall is something of an idiot who lacks social grace and programming knowledge. Not too long ago, he said, "I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept." That's after DayZ made millions of dollars in sales. At least he owns up to the fact that he's kind of an rear end in a top hat. Not that that really makes up for much.

And Ol' Smed legitimately believed that Planetside 2 would be the next big esport.

Lots of dumb people are involved in making video games.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Wren610 posted:

Its funny how so many people on reddit are thinking this wont be a PvP KOS game like all the others. This is what the fourth type of game like this recently and they have all played out the same way heck the devs aren't even trying to distance themselves from DayZ.

Pretty sure the main appeal of this game is the fact that it's a PvP KOS game except with hundreds, or thousands of people in the same world instead of 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Tide posted:

For me, I don't actually think that the zombies are all that important, to be honest. I am more interested in the community/sandbox aspect of it and PvP.

I always figured the job of the zombies was just to keep players honest more than to be a real threat. Force you to make some noise if you want to go raid a town which might alert other players of your presence, that sort of thing.

• Locked thread