Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Zombies again, how surprising. When will some hack writer write a twilight-esque novel about teenage zombies who are just misunderstood so we can get over this poo poo?

Isn't this what State of Decay was supposed to be but less "build anything"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

dylguy90 posted:

I think this is great news - for a long time the survival / base-building genre has been the domain of hacks like Rocket. It's nice to see a competent studio that can actually live up to what they promise hopping into the arena. The fact that it's SOE using the Forgelight engine no less makes me think this will be awesome.

I'm really tired of seeing the zombies = bad game argument being trotted out. If a game is bad, it's going to be bad for a whole bunch of reasons. It's like when Rust swapped out their zombies for mutated animals - it changed nothing about the gameplay. I think zombies stand out a lot, so they end up being the whipping boy for people just generally not liking the game.

Zombies dont make a good game bad but they do make it worse. Once a monster is played out, like zombies and vampires are at this point, it loses what makes it an effective monster. Vampires stood for gluttony, hedonistic pleasure and fear of sexuality but those values have been lost with their overexposure. Zombies are in the same spot, with their underlying values of social criticism, fear of a herd mentality and the breakdown of society have been pushed to the side.

Nowadays zombies are put into a game because, like nazis/robots/aliens, they are something you can kill by the thousands without feeling remorse. Also, there are only so many ways you can lawnmower thousands of them at a time before it becomes the same old thing.

Just a bit of subjective sperging about dumb horror movie monsters.

• Locked thread