Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I'm inclined to be optimistic about this. All the developers that have tried this before seemed to lack resources and/or know-how, so it's really unsurprising that the genre has been generally disappointing. This may largely be a rehash of ideas that others have done, but the others generally have failed to execute the ideas properly. If SOE can do it right, and it seems they have the resources to, then great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

AuxPriest posted:

I want the kind of gameplay that DayZ and these zombie survival games encourage, but not... zombies. I want to be able to play a FPS with friends, ambush groups of players, set up camp, etc. Remove kebab.

I saw Rust but it seems more focused on the 'lets craft stuff and build a house' vein, almost like Minecraft. Maybe this will scratch an itch?? I'm not very optimistic. :smith:

I'm inclined to think it could net that kind of gameplay. Zombies will be an issue, but I don't really think they'll be so obnoxious and omnipresent as to really get in the way of PvP action.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Reason posted:

I do not think a f2p zombie MMO by SOE is going to be a hard sell because it will probably feel more like a game than DayZ when its released. I hated The War Z because it was so full of hackers, had lovely graphics, but it was more of a game than DayZ is today. Don't get me wrong, since I purchased DayZ there's been plenty of progress, but its still a giant steaming pile of poo poo. I am as burnt out as anybody else on zombie survivors, but if H1Z1 is even slightly more polished than DayZ with a developer that supports it as much as PS2 has been supported than its going to be way, way more successful than any of the other alternatives.

Yeah, the problem has really been a stupidly-low standard. DayZ-mod was excused because it was a mod for a game that was already pretty janky. No one can help that, you work with what you've got. The second people started trying to make a "real" or "serious" zombie survival game, though, that excuse went out the window. Despite this, no one has managed to honestly finish what they've started, and they don't show signs of doing so any time soon. DayZ has been the most honest about being an alpha that is not necessarily fit for play, which is good and responsible, but still largely unfortunate. With most other developers, you could get that they really were in over their heads and/or just trying to cash in. DayZ, though, after making literal millions, is still plodding along in terms of development. This isn't necessarily a problem, but it does suggest that creating a polished product that covers features people want is really loving hard. Alternatively, BI made a bunch of bad basic design decisions, like using the wrong engine for the job. Either way, turns out it's really easy to gently caress up making a game. This has probably always been true, but wasn't as apparent since mechanisms to convince people to pay for an unfinished product didn't exist. The whole "early access" phenomenon has been simultaneously a boon and a curse. The hope here, I think, is that SOE, being a "real" and "serious" company, has to meet a certain standard of polish in the stuff they put out because they have a reputation to uphold. Coming Monday, we'll see if they're going to meet expectations or not. It's not necessarily true that they will, but they have the best shot of doing so out of any existing contenders.

E: Lots of words. tldr I have hope in SOE because they have the most resources and the biggest reputation to uphold. They could still gently caress it up, but any fuckups will probably be on a significantly smaller scale than the janky poo poo in other games.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 14, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Live stream of current build is scheduled for this Thursday. No specific time yet.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

BombiTheZombie posted:

Zombies dont make a good game bad but they do make it worse. Once a monster is played out, like zombies and vampires are at this point, it loses what makes it an effective monster. Vampires stood for gluttony, hedonistic pleasure and fear of sexuality but those values have been lost with their overexposure. Zombies are in the same spot, with their underlying values of social criticism, fear of a herd mentality and the breakdown of society have been pushed to the side.

Nowadays zombies are put into a game because, like nazis/robots/aliens, they are something you can kill by the thousands without feeling remorse. Also, there are only so many ways you can lawnmower thousands of them at a time before it becomes the same old thing.

Just a bit of subjective sperging about dumb horror movie monsters.

This is a good general criticism, I think, and one that I had never really considered, but I don't know how applicable it is to video games, least of all an MMO. In a medium where story is very important, I think your criticism would hold water, a la The Walking Dead where zombies are typically made to be whatever the story needs them to be, which is lazy and inconsistent. In an MMO, though, the story is secondary to basically everything else, and really only, I think, provides a basic explanation for why things are the way they are. You can't provide much more story than that without coercing players into following certain paths or obeying arbitrary restrictions, though it would perhaps be interesting to do so on various occasions.

Additionally, zombies are pretty good as enemies in the sense that, in theory, they should be easy to implement while remaining threatening. They don't have to have an advanced AI because that's not what makes them threatening. The threat is that they're seemingly innumerable, require no resources, and are generally resilient to most injuries. You don't need to, as a developer, spend a lot of time trying to develop an advanced AI or allocating server resources to managing an advanced AI. Other enemies demand a more robust AI. You could replace the zombies with some other kind of enemy, but if, behaviorally, they're the same, the difference is effectively nonexistent.

The only way, I think, that zombies can make a game worse is if they're poorly implemented. Unfortunately, that has been the case with basically all the survival games thus far. WarZ's zombies have to be hit in the head, but they're incredibly slow and have horrid/easily-abused pathing. DayZ's zombies clip through walls and can behave weirdly, and moreover, they take damage on all parts of their body. Nether replaced the zombies with alien-demon things that could teleport, but they were still effectively zombies that got cheap shots in on you by teleporting to random locations (like right behind you). State of Decay did a great job with zombies by keeping numbers consistent and relatively high, having relatively good pathing, and demanding that you destroy the head. If SOE follows the State of Decay example, then things should work out pretty well.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I'm starting to doubt that SOE actually has a sufficiently-robust plan to prevent this from simply being a murder simulator. It seems to the case that they're steering clear of skills and leveling, which implies that characters will be extremely substitutable. While the equality of ability is, I suppose, nice, it doesn't do much to make people concerned about losing their characters. If we can build bases, then we can presumably store loot. Consequently, once a group is established enough to stockpile, the threat of death totally disappears. If you die, you run back to base and get a new set of gear. I like getting back into the action as much as anyone else, but some incentive to try to keep your group alive, rather than throwing bodies at a problem, would be nice.

The only way that stops being the case is if SOE implements arbitrary restrictions on spawn locations and the like, so that's concerning.

E: People found a few more pictures.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 16, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Live stream supposedly starts here in an hour and ten minutes (6 PM Pacific).

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Note dump. Will edit as things come up.

Melee weapon is kind of far over to the right side of the screen. Axe model looks unskinned, but whatever. That's not a huge issue. Not saying it doesn't look nice. It's just all a metallic gray color, with the word "SCHENK" engraved on the back of the blade. Very crisp, sharp looking. Maybe that's how it's supposed to look, I just assumed there'd be more color. Like maybe a wooden handle with a metal blade?

Acoustic/visual zombie responses

Feels similar visually to WarZ/SoD

No "on-demand" map

Zombies are in a questionable state. Some of them appear to react, a lot of them just kind of loiter and growl, though. They don't seem fast, either.

Cars are in, they look pretty good, and they handle reasonably well. Zombie splatting with ragdoll is in.

COW SPOTTED. Look at that fat fucker run. And a deer?

Picked up Clegg in a car.

Emotes a la DayZ appear to be in.

Lol ran over Clegg.

Mentioned digging a hole under someone. Yay?

The world seems pretty loving big. Like, they've been driving around for a few minutes, and I'm seeing a lot of trees.

Apparently it's a pretty small team. That said, this is already looking a lot better than literally everything else in the genre.

Hey, crossing a pretty long concrete bride. Looked pretty nice.

They've got other designers running around. Looks pretty smooth. Kind if hilarious that even the devs can't resist the urge to gank this poo poo out of each other sometimes.

Pretty good shadows, namely form the trees.

Just hit a piece of chainlink fence and it broke apart.

Playtest every day, twice a day. Very rapid iterations.

Can crash cars, flip them over. They'll blow up in short order.

Back to main, zombies are working now.

There's a whole destructible system. One barrel will blow up another, chain reactions, etc.

Status symbols pop up in white text in the top-middle of the screen.

:siren: Aiming for 4 weeks to early access :siren:

drat, zombies are not a joke. They do a weird sort of run and are maybe slightly slower than the player is when running. They can get into a line, but they do a good job spreading out and surrounding when they close in.

Low health grays your screen and creates bluriness on the edges.

"Guns are incredibly rare in this game."

Near-instant item-in-hand switching.

Cone of fire system, I think. They're trying to model recoil meaningfully and not creating a twitch shooter. He's shooting, but it seems like the pistol is fairly accurate so I'm not terrible concerned.

JUMPING.

Barebones inventory and crafting system. It's just basically a list of recipes and a square with a bunch of slots.

Oh what the hell he just placed a big loving shed. AND MOUNTED A SEPARATE DOOR that snaps to the hinges. Opens and closes.

Nice sunset. Very cool. And night gets dark and kind of misty.

Setting zombies on fire with a torch is a thing. And the torch provides some local light.

Headlights on cars, and they look good. And god drat it's even darker. Like, driving down a country road and can't see anything beyond your headlights dark.

Morning is a little less impressive than sunset, but whatever.

Starving is a thing.

Looks like they're visiting a dam. In terms of scenery, this game is beating the everloving poo poo out of everything else.

If you die, your loot is probably gone. Yeah, you can make it back to your body, but that's probably not likely.

Cars are a luxury. They're rolling all over the place, but only because they can keep dev-hacking cars when they crash.

"I think I hit the pedal before I got out" as the car drifts away after exiting.

Zombies don't seem to demand headshots, but they're nasty enough that it may not be necessary. They don't seem to be easy to stun-lock, and once you're mobbed, it's pretty much over.

Anywhere America, growing outward. They're building towns, but that doesn't stop the players from doing whatever they want. Like I said, they placed a shed. And then put a door on it. Given enough building templates, people could seriously build a town in the middle of nowhere.

Some kind of coordinate-based system. They're using it to teleport, I think, but it might make coordinating somewhat easier.

"There are wolves in the wilderness. There are deer. Wolves try to kill deer. Zombies try to kill everything."

All servers are persistent and hosted by SOE.

The dynamic lighting is good. I really like it.

:lol: they just torched a dude and now he's burning

They've got a lot of great minor details that other games really miss out on. For example, they've got trash cans in front of houses that looks almost exactly like the one that I put out.

ANSWERING TWITTER QUESTIONS BECAUSE TWITCH IS A MESS

"Not ready to talk about monetization." They really don't have it figured out, that's the impression I'm getting.

"Controllers are a different beast." They definitely don't have anything set for that yet, and it's clearly not a priority.

Team is apparently something like 17 people, but outside help is called on when necessary. SOE seems willing to shift its resources around as necessary.

Tom Schenk's favorite color is red.

Dynamic weather is a thing. Tom mentioned an ecosystem, and an overarching system that tracks all that stuff.

How will they deal with hackers? "Quickly." I don't know how PS2 is, the PS2 people scoff at SOE's efforts, so...

Early access looks like it's going to be $19.99, 4 weeks from today. They seem pretty comfortable saying that, and quite frankly, it looks like they could release it right now and it would be in better shape than the competition.

Can loot dead bodies.

"We do have destructible objects. Fire jumps, all that sort of thing." I saw their cars explode. I saw them run through a fence. They hatchet'd an oil barrel until it started burning, and then it blew up.

"Hordes of zombies are very much there." They didn't check that out because they only have one dude streaming and the general thought is that he'd get wrecked on his own.

Yes to bullet drop. Same stuff as PS2 is available, but they're tuning it more, as well. They're tweaking it toward realism, taking into account bullet velocity, mass, etc.

Zombies react to their environment. They look for things to eat, for sound, etc. So they'll do stuff even when people aren't around.

"It's not FPS first. It's survival sim first, but not sim before fun. We don't want to do anything just because 'real.' ...We want to keep that urgency without making it unfun [with regard to hunger and whatnot]."

STREAM IS OVER -- That means I'm done dumping poo poo here. All in all, I'm extremely pleased with what I saw and I will definitely be throwing $20 at SOE as soon as I'm able.

Last thing: Here is a link to a recording of the stream. Well-worth a watch, though you probably want to hop around to get a good survey, unless you want to watch the whole hour.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 18, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Kizurue posted:

So far the stream has not done anything to deter me from this game. My only real hopes is that they expand the inventory and flush out the crafting system a bit more. I do like the fact that you can create a dew collector and animal traps for a source of food and water. Gotta say I am looking forward to it. As a player who enjoyed the poo poo out of Rust this seems to have everything it did and more.

Yeah, I really winced at the inventory setup. At this point, I have to assume that it's just one of those polish things can wait until later without any real negative consequences. Apparently this has only been in development for about six months, though, so it's reassuring to see that they actually developed the core content ahead of the frills. Similarly, knowing that this project has only been going on for such a small amount of time is incredibly reassuring because it basically shows that SOE only started on this AFTER everyone else had already been working on it for anywhere from a few months (in the case of games like Nether) to literal years (in the case of DayZ).

E: Interesting monetization idea Smedley just announced... It's basically Kickstarter for server customizations.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 18, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

So I guess there is a pretty vocal group of people who are making the case that the stream was of low-quality and reflects poorly on the project. Considering the competition and contextual information, I have no idea what they think they're bitching about, but it was apparently enough to prompt what I am interpreting as an indirect response from Smedley:

quote:

That stream today didn't go quite as planned.. the server they were on had an issue and we had to restart it. That meant we didn't get time to show everything we wanted to.
Next week we will have a lot more to show including crafting, building and a lot more about the survival aspects of the game. All that stuff is in there. Not all of it's perfect but it's really getting fun. So we'll show it to you. Didn't mean to take the extended ride in the jeep.
Answers to common questions I saw:
1) We will have first and third person. Third person will not give you LOS over obstacles. We intend to make it more of a preference. I find myself switching to it occasionally but I love combat in first person. To those who say we can't serve two masters - play the game before you judge.
2) Vehicles will be in third person only. Could this change? Maybe but that's what we're putting in for now.
3) Why was there so much stuff around 15 years later - we wanted to show you how the mechanics worked. Simple as that. We intend to make surviving a lot about catching your food. Longer term about growing it and protecting it.
4) How is this different from Day Z? - saw this a lot. Not going to give some politically correct dodgy b.s. answer. It is a survival in a Zombie Apocalypse game. So is Day Z. They have made a brilliant game (first I might add). They have a great vision for it and can count myself and most of the people on our team as fans and contributors.
We're making the game we're making. Long term we plan on making this about a persistent world with a big landscape with thousands of players. The way we would like to see this roll out is much more like players building small enclaves or pockets of territory and hold out against a legitimate zombie threat that's ever present while others go it alone taking their chances.. These player built structures, forts and towns are one of the ways the players try to carve out some small space in a dangerous world.
We also want to make sure we have a deep in-game economy that is heavily dependent on crafting. Players will be able to become manufacturers.. sell bullets, arrows.. etc. The in-game economy will be entirely player driven.
So this is our take on the Zombie Apocalypse with a lot of friends and hopefully some great enemies both living and dead. We're proud to be up front and say we love Day Z and the job they've done and we hope they enjoy what we make too.
I can say this another way.
I love 28 Days and 28 Days Later I love World War Z I love Warm Bodies (oh come on you did too you) I love Night of the Living Dead.. and all the other ones. I love The Walking Dead.
And so do most of you. So sure. We're another Zombie Apocalypse game. Call it what it is. But our goal is to make ours fun, accessible, hard core and super, super deep. As time goes on we hope our take on the end of the world by zombie is fun and lots of people get to try it. You'll also have all the information you need when you start Early Access for $19.99. You can watch others stream it. You can decide to wait till we switch it to Free to Play. Either way you'll see our roadmap and you'll see if it's something that's for you.
Have a good one,
Smed

E: ITT I read Reddit so that you don't have to! More stuff from Jimmy Whisenhunt regarding combat:

quote:

I figured I might as well put all of this in one place since I end up finding the same questions 17 times per hour :p
-Will combat be as fast as was shown during the live stream? No, there are a few features coming online that will allow me to start tuning for slower combat. This includes things like 1:1 head movement but slower arm movement, ready states for melee (just right clicking), and weapon specific melee anim sets. Weapon/tool swap times will also be drastically slower than shown.
-Will zombies die from 1 headshot from a gun? Right now, sure, but if you've got a .22 or .380 it may not.
-Will there be free-look/alt-look/head turning? Yes.
-Will there be military spec weaponry in the game? Right now our focus is getting weapons that you could feasibly find in a civilians house. You'll find some nice AR-15s (semi-auto), shotguns, 1911s and the like. Not saying we wont eventually add some military weaponry, I'm not naive enough to assume people wouldn't have made their own modifications or stolen equipment during the events leading to our games state of the world.
Those are the questions I've answered 5-15 times, post any other questions in here and I'll attempt to answer them by editing the top post and responding to your comment.
Progress!

And since I think it's a good idea to try to be as pessimistic and critical of this as possible (hard though it may be), I wonder if the ability to place buildings will become problematic from a clutter perspective. While the idea of players developing areas spontaneously is neat, we all know pubbies are liable to just smack poo poo down willy-nilly, and it could be weird to run through a literal maze of sheds out in the middle of the woods.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 18, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Google Butt posted:

If they borrow the landmark building system and textures, that will be fun.

I'm fairly certain they said they weren't doing voxel stuff with this, so no Landmark system.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Another big news day, it looks like!

We had our first monetization meeting yesterday posted:

Some of our outcomes. Please note I'll do a comprehensive posting after we're done with this. We have another meeting Thursday to discuss.

1. We will be selling wearables. We felt like this will be a good, fair revenue generator. However - we recognize how important finding wearables in the world is so you'll be able to find and craft a lot of stuff. We agree that's something important. We've also come up with a pretty awesome idea to let players who kill other players loot stuff. So if a player has a black ski mask and gets killed by another player, that player can wear the ski mask for a few deaths (we have durability in the game. Station Cash wearables won't degrade at all but when you loot something.. it will degrade. Please note the original player always keeps their SC purchased wearables. This gives the great feeling of whacking some unsuspecting fool who decided to bring a knife to a gun fight.

2. We will NOT be selling Guns, Ammo, Food, Water... i.e. That's kind of the whole game and it would suck in our opinion if we did that.

3. Nor will we sell boosts that will impact #2.

4. Emote Pack - of course we'll have the basics for free. But we felt like this is another good and fair revenue generator.

5. Character slots - feels reasonable.

6. Crates - You can find crates sometimes in game. They're filled with random cool stuff from the store. We're considering letting you see what's in them before you buy a key (ala Dota 2.). This idea isn't fully locked yet.

That Monetization thread has turned out to be a terrific source of ideas and it also is helping us steer clear of the stuff you just don't want to see.
More to come late this week.
Smed

Of course, pubbies are freaking out because how dare they monetize anything, least of all character customization!

quote:

I've seen some questions about this. I want to clarify this as it's important to the game.
When you die, your corpse becomes a container with ALL your stuff. Your corpse may end up wandering around if it turns into a zombie and reanimates. But either way it's completely up for grabs.
Station Cash purchased items are always available to you from your locker. We're not going to have you buy something and have you permanently lose it. However, we will allow other players to loot a lower durability version of the item (Station Cash items do not degrade).
So dying is a serious thing in H1Z1. This game is not for the weak.

quote:

An idea was discussed internally yesterday that we really like. It's simple - We will allow players to purchase Air Drops of care packages like food, water. Before you judge - it goes to a random location and is obvious to everyone in the area. Think of it like buying surprises for people in the game that if you're lucky you can try and get yourselves.
However, our real goal here is along the lines of The Hunger Games. A mad rush for supplies followed by a tense standoff. Basically think of it as instant chaos.
How is there anything flying? A few pilots manage to scrounge together enough fuel to make these runs.
Just an idea. Thoughts?
Smed

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Da Mott Man posted:

So in EQ2 for example you get a handful more character slots, access to higher tiers of the same spell, more currency drops and higher run speed, unrestricted trading/chat/mail system, and you can make guilds.

Off the top of my head in DCUO you get access to all expansions for free and no cap on the money you can hold. EDIT: and ability to make supergroups(guilds).

Oh man, I bet they'll end up putting any sort of clan feature behind a pay wall for this, then. That would actually be really unfortunate. Here's hoping they either don't or tie it to at least a currency that is specific to H1Z1.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Da Mott Man posted:

Its always been the ability to make a clan that has been behind the paywall, you can still invite free players. I doubt that will change.

It's still an obnoxious restriction in the sense that it basically obligates large groups to try to figure out who is willing to shell out and will be around long enough to maintain the group.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

quote:

Want to survive H1Z1 or even help shape it's future? Join us this Tuesday April 29th for our first H1Z1 Survivors workshop!

Beginning around 9 AM PT we'll begin an all day livestream which will interview developers, show playtesting, and give you insight into what H1Z1 is all about.

Do you live in Southern California? Head to the SOE studios and get a chance to meet with developers in person and hang out with other survivors. We'll have this available from noon until 5:00 PM PT.

Does none of this interest you? Just go ahead and get some practice in by handing your loot to the guy next to you. We'll see everyone else there!

I... Uh... Okay, I guess? Pleased to hear we'll be seeing more of the game, but I have no idea why they're hosting an open house.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

quote:

We want to have some fun Tuesday to change things up a little. We want you all to tell us what to make on Tuesday. Pick a fun feature we can make for you between 9am and 9pm. You'll get to watch it developed and hear directly from the people implementing it.
Of course, we have yet to get the time machine to function, so I would ask that you pick something reasonable. We'll weigh in in this thread on stuff that wouldn't actually be doable in that time frame.
So this call for ideas is now officially out there. Step up and come up with some cool ideas you want to see in H1Z1.
We will leave this to you to decide. If you can't make a decision we'll pick something fun from your list. But our great preference is for you to figure it out for yourselves. Self Organize. Vote. However you want to do it.
You have until 6pm Monday Pacific time.
Have fun!
Smed

This is an interesting development, and even a promising one.

E: Bonus footage of a pretty substantial amount of zombies wandering through a field as the sun sets.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 26, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

myshl0ng posted:

Why not go with mutants, aliens, demons or not disclose it at all. Zombies limit the possibilities for different enemies and situations so much.

:getout:

E: Content

Slightly corny video & new logo:

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 26, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

We've already provided a response to your criticisms.

quote:

This is a good general criticism, I think, and one that I had never really considered, but I don't know how applicable it is to video games, least of all an MMO. In a medium where story is very important, I think your criticism would hold water, a la The Walking Dead where zombies are typically made to be whatever the story needs them to be, which is lazy and inconsistent. In an MMO, though, the story is secondary to basically everything else, and really only, I think, provides a basic explanation for why things are the way they are. You can't provide much more story than that without coercing players into following certain paths or obeying arbitrary restrictions, though it would perhaps be interesting to do so on various occasions.

Additionally, zombies are pretty good as enemies in the sense that, in theory, they should be easy to implement while remaining threatening. They don't have to have an advanced AI because that's not what makes them threatening. The threat is that they're seemingly innumerable, require no resources, and are generally resilient to most injuries. You don't need to, as a developer, spend a lot of time trying to develop an advanced AI or allocating server resources to managing an advanced AI. Other enemies demand a more robust AI. You could replace the zombies with some other kind of enemy, but if, behaviorally, they're the same, the difference is effectively nonexistent.

The only way, I think, that zombies can make a game worse is if they're poorly implemented. Unfortunately, that has been the case with basically all the survival games thus far. WarZ's zombies have to be hit in the head, but they're incredibly slow and have horrid/easily-abused pathing. DayZ's zombies clip through walls and can behave weirdly, and moreover, they take damage on all parts of their body. Nether replaced the zombies with alien-demon things that could teleport, but they were still effectively zombies that got cheap shots in on you by teleporting to random locations (like right behind you). State of Decay did a great job with zombies by keeping numbers consistent and relatively high, having relatively good pathing, and demanding that you destroy the head. If SOE follows the State of Decay example, then things should work out pretty well.

Try for something more interesting than "Hurr, do not like thing."

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Reminder that tomorrow is the next big livestream day for H1Z1. I don't know how much they'll be streaming, but I know things are supposed to be happening all day. I'm guessing that a lot more information will become available.

I'm also thinking that once this ends up on Steam, we'll want to setup a thread outside of the MMO subforum since this is hardly an MMO in the usual sense.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Psyker posted:

I'm overly curious about why you think an SOE title would ever appear on Steam?

Uh, I'm 99% sure they said they were releasing it on Steam, just as they already released Planetside 2.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Dark Helmut posted:

Lucifer, I expect an effort post of epic proportions to appease those of us slaving for the man today.

The essay gods demand tribute. I'd post that, but I don't think you want to read it.

Azurrat posted:

Maybe you should play a different type of game, because this looks like it's not for you. :cripes:

edit: Hey guys, I think zombie games are dumb and boring, LET ME ROLL UP INTO A THREAD ABOUT A ZOMBIE GAME AND poo poo MY OPINION EVERYWHERE :shrek:

He doesn't have a bad point. Based on the available evidence, it's hard to have faith that zombies will be properly implemented. Moreover, some people don't want to have to give serious consideration to zombies, because that gets in the way of Murder Simulator 2014. Talking about it now doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense, though, because both sides of the "debate" have fair points, and we won't know where things stand until we all have a chance to try things out.

E: Hahaha this stream is kind of amusing. Black guy who looks like The Walking Dead's Bob talking about graphic design for zombies.

Holy poo poo there are real live women there.

No this is seriously the best. Some dev just got attacked by a bunch of zombies so he literally flew away into a field.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 29, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I hope you guys are watching the stream while slapfighting because they just showed some dudes office and he had something like a thousand transformer/Gundam things in there.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Azurrat posted:

If the stream was more interesting, we probably wouldn't be slapfighting. There's been some mildly amusing stuff, but I'm getting the impression that it's just a fluff piece.

"We've got nothing new to show you, so we're going to show you around the office for a bit and hope you don't realize that all of the new information we're sharing right now can be condensed into a single paragraph whore ourselves out for Twitter followers."

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

It looks like they've got quite a ways to go with content. The core features are in and at least minimally functional, which is good, since tweaking is easier than designing and implementing. That said, I'm not convinced the map is as large as SOE is trying to convince us it is. Not yet, at least. I'm starting to note landmarks, and given that they only have ~30 people playtesting and manage to find one another, we're a long way from multi-hundred player servers. Based on some of their earlier interviews, they're still knee-deep in designing houses and whatnot. That stuff all has to get placed, and then loot spawns have to be configured, and so on and so forth. I'm thinking that's going to consume a lot of man-hours, so it will be interesting to see how far they make it when early access happens.

Of course, they could just be screwing with us and showing us a prior build. It's hard to say.

I also think they may be overestimating the whole base building thing. Without instanced areas, once your group logs for the night, there's no guarantee that anything will be left when you get back the next evening. Why bother wasting time getting resources to build up a fort when it's all but guaranteed to get raided or occupied in your absence?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Azurrat posted:

Because if you die, you drop everything on you? In Rust at least, how hidden a base is plays a huge role in how likely it is to get raided overnight.

I haven't played Rust, so maybe there's some evidence there that suggests that bases are worth it, but in the other survival games I've played, the strategy is generally to roll in a group and rely on group members to hold onto the loot of the dead until they run back to the group. Once everyone is logged, that loot is guaranteed to be safe. I'm wholly unconvinced that a base that can be burned down or occupied with impunity is meaningful in any context outside of temporarily holing up to shoot mans.

E: Wow, I see only see one obvious goon in the people that showed up at the offices. Whoops, never mind. Two.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 29, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I guess they're letting people that showed up play some? I haven't been paying much attention but some neckbeard is running around doing stuff. I only remark on this because watching this dude play for a bit really only highlights how terrible the developers seem to be at playing their own game. I had assumed the melee system was less forgiving or harder to use, since the devs kept getting smacked around when fighting zombies, but this guy is having no problems whatsoever.

I also think that bases in Rust might be more viable because the terrain and whatnot, from my understanding, allow more player interaction with digging and the like. Seems like base building will be more limited in H1Z1, which translates to people having an easier time both finding bases and breaking into them.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Word on Reddit is that the map is currently smaller than DayZ's Chernarus. Kind of troubling.

Edit: Since I can't be bothered to write much while on my phone, I'll flesh this out a bit more now. DayZ's map is anywhere from 150-225km2, depending on how you do your measuring. The devs apparently stated yesterday that the map is presently 8x8km, so roughly 64km2. The reason for this appears to primarily be that they can't go larger and still have the game function on 32-bit machines. Now, obviously they can expand the map and eventually stop supporting 32-bit systems, but given that a) they've talked about having hundreds or thousands of people on a server, and b) accounts are locked to a specific server, I think there is cause for concern. This will indubitably have the greatest effect on the early access players, and could change with time, but there's no guarantee that it will. The issue should be obvious, in any case. An 8x8 map is hardly enough to accommodate hundreds of players without constant violence and lack of loot/food/stuff to do for everyone.

They could probably go the Planetside 2 route and just have people warp between maps that are otherwise treated as contiguous beyond the loading screen, but that still demands that new maps be made. For all their talk of having a huge world, this is a disappointing revelation and really makes me question how viable their decisions, in sum, will be.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 30, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

jabro posted:

I don't have to run as far to axe someone's skull in. I'm holding all glee or scorn for the game until I play it. Did they announce the Early Release date during the world's worst stream yesterday? I could only take a couple of minutes at a time.

Sorry, edited my post while you posted this. Anyway, when they announced H1Z1, they said early access would arrive in 4-6 weeks, which translates to sometime in May.

And yeah, that stream got pretty painful after the office tour and play test. They definitely didn't need to show all the goony fan interaction crap.

E: With regard to map size: I guess their intention is to just have a set of maps that people travel between, similar to the way PS2 has continents that people warp between. So the ability to expand is there, and they can scale up player count on servers. Still doesn't address how they'll deal with making adjustments if accounts are locked to a server, though.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 30, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Azurrat posted:

Anybody with a 32-bit only CPU wouldn't be able to run jack poo poo made in the last 3-5 years, since the last major lines of 32-bit CPUs were dying off literally ten loving years ago. The problem is that dumbass Microsoft keeps making 32-bit versions of Windows.

gently caress, even the Pentium 4 had an x86_64 instruction set.

You'd be surprised. I know a guy who was running a 32-bit version of XP up until not too long ago and he could still handle most games. Not that that is a good reason for continuing to provide support.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Azurrat posted:

and I'm willing to bet he was running it on a 64-bit processor, because x86-only processors died with the Pentium 3 line.

(With exceptions for niche hardware, obviously)

I actually think it may have been a 32-bit processor. The motherboard certainly was, which is why he had to basically toss everything out in order to finally loving increase his RAM.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Looks like we've got rain.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

If I recall correctly, they're intending to allow people to play as zombies, albeit only if they can figure out a way to restrict things such that weird poo poo like zombies teaming up with humans doesn't become a thing.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Having spent what is probably too much time playing Nether, I can't say I'm all that impressed with it. The production value is certainly a lot higher than most other things, and on the whole, everything looks nice and the monsters are a nice change of pace. However, when I last played, they managed to break a ton of poo poo, to the point where going prone made you invincible to bullet damage. Additionally, someone figured out how to dupe the poo poo out of items for the purpose of selling them, and since everyone drops 10% of their cash on death, a bunch of people now have so much money that obtaining gear is pretty trivial. Similarly, unloading bullets from your gun caused them to multiply. A lot of this is probably fixed, but the economy is still presumably a wreck. That, and there's not much to do, it's hard to find people, and fights are typically frustratingly short.

E: The crafting system is also the dumbest loving thing. They limit both your global inventory and your personal inventory by two variables: volume and mass. While this is, no doubt, an interesting mechanic, several of their crafting recipes involve so many materials that you quite literally cannot store them all without basically holding on to nothing else. It really doesn't do much but prove frustrating. Not to mention that it doesn't generally make a ton of sense to bother loving around trying to gather materials to craft in the first place, since the cost to kill enough critters to get the stuff generally outweighs what you can actually end up crafting.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 5, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Psyker posted:

Only logical way to do so would be to make zombies not have chat, really. Or something.

Quite frankly, I think it will be impossible to avoid. If you and I decide to be zombies, and we hop in Mumble with poliander and Kizurue, then we can coordinate and that's that. The only way to really stop it, I think, would be to create some arbitrary mechanic like "player-controlled zombies get weaker in the presence of humans that they're not actively attacking."

E: I guess it also depends on player-controlled zombie durability. If they're as "weak" as the regular zombies, then I wonder what the point would even be, unless the game just drops you into a zombie that is near another player(s) so it's just straight-up kamikaze zombie action all day every day. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I suppose.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 5, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I will grant that Reddit is a useful aggregator, but god drat is it full of idiots making a ton of white noise.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Well, apparently SOE is implementing a neat melee system. I won't bother linking stuff, but the short of the long is that combos are apparently a thing, zombies that jump on you can be pushed back at the expense of stamina, and overall, it seems like this will be more than just "aim at head, repeatedly press mouse button to swing weapon." Which is indubitably a good thing in my book.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Bit of a dearth of news lately. Apparently a big announcement is coming this week, though. That said, knowing game development, it will be something like "Hey, check out this awesome new weather system." For people keeping track, the "4" of the 4-6 weeks until early access has passed. It's unclear as to whether or not they'll stay on schedule, but I think most of us were probably assuming that they'd run at least a little bit late. I guess we'll see.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Apparently the E3 thing was largely rumor, but the H1Z1 community manager just posted that H1Z1 will be featured at SOE Live, along with all of SOE's other big titles. SOE Live is in August, though, so it's hard to say if this has any significance in terms of early release.

E: With regard to SOE Live, the community manager said...

quote:

The "hands-on time" statement was not indicative of when the game will be released or even in early access. It was purely saying that H1Z1 will be at SOE Live and people can play it there.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 12, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Smedley's Twitter posted:

H1z1 surprise Thursday

Underwhelming announcement? Early access date? Early access is being postponed!!! Surprise!!!

Edit: More from Smed: "Watching a rehearsal for a huge surprise we are unleashing on Thursday" aka "We're scrapping PC development of H1Z1 and going exclusively to PS4!"

Clarification -- Smed tweeted a week ago that early access wasn't happening "next week" (aka this week), so it's almost certainly not that. Therefore underwhelming announcement or stream of devs doing stuff badly.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Malifaux posted:

Why is poo poo always need to be postponed? It's like as if the devs took a couple days sick leave and nothing's been done. Who ever created postpone should burn in hell.

Calm down, buddy. Sounds like you're new to the wonderful scene of video game development.

Zvim posted:

The only way this game has a hope in hell is if the zombies are brutally difficult and staying alive is a real struggle with larger groups of players attracting more zombie attention and player groups clash out of the need for resources rather than just because it is PvP.

See, I might buy into this concern if games like Rust, DayZ, and WarZ were struggling, but they're not. People bitch about the development pace, sure, but they still play. If SOE can deliver a better product (and it's pretty clear that they can), they'll be fine.

E: Not from any official announcements, but someone mentioned that SOE has this API thing that works for PS2 and EQ, and could probably be integrated with H1Z1. It's all above my level of technical understanding, but it seems like it could lead to some interesting opportunities for sperging about the game.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 14, 2014

• Locked thread