Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
I need to see the crafting system in depth. The whole "zombie" aesthetic is overdone lately, but if they decide to go "mutant not undead" virus gimmick, then they can add virus mutated bears, wolverines, carnivorous deer, and atlatl-using mountain lions. You know - monsters.

If it is just zombies, it will suffer for the shallowness of having those as the main PVE opponents. Zombies are not too interesting. Though, if the crafting is SWG-like for weapons and Landmark-ish for buildings, it still might be a fun bit of PVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Fun Shoe

SumYungGui posted:

I'm still drawing a gigantic blank on how this is supposed to be somewhere that Star Wars Galaxies fans can "come home to". I just cannot at all reconcile the thought process that lead to such a statement.

It's like SWG, but without the thousands of mob types. Instead, imagine SWG with gnorts. Only gnorts. And only one planet. And the gnorts are all zombies. And instead of 30 plus professions, you get what - one? Five? I haven't seen anything about char development. But I doubt there are crafter-only paths and/or noncombat professions. So like SWG, except without mob variety, multiple planets, space fighters, 30 odd professions, non-combat profs(musicians, dancers, etc), and droids.

So, it has houses and zombies. Like Day Z, but you can make your own house.

It is exactly like SWG minus everything except for houses and guns, but more lame.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Fun Shoe

Tide posted:

Add in a healthy dose of nepotism and an industry that promotes failure upward, and you have basically no accountability.

No.
In any software development project, no matter how small, you deal with a large set of unknowns. In standard engineering terms, it is as if drainage, material strength, decay, usage, and design are all changing each week.

The variables in software engineering are subject to more change in fundamental ways in more instances - and the approach used, scope, and defined data structures can make your project impossible and you can only find out after getting halfway done.

Compared to the task of making an all-weather 12-lane suspension bridge between two faults, a waterfall, over a harbor under budget within deadline - a software project can add dozens of failure - go back to the start- design points each step.

In normal engineering, the bedrock doesn't suddenly turn into taffy. The requirements don't change from 12 lane to 128 to 53 to 14 each week. The equivalent happens all the time in large software projects. The design approach can invalidate itself. It is like suddenly having cement turn into kittens.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Fun Shoe

Azurrat posted:

This is a good analogy, and not at all stupid and overthought.

I'll assume your sarcasm.
I am only speaking from experience in business software - the scope could change based on multiple state's legislative requirements (one example). If we had the wrong approach for account numbering/structure, then our market could be (and was) suddenly restricted by a third. Accounting standards change very rarely but when they do, everything needs to accommodate those changes. If you didn't anticipate - say, fixed asset management for governmental entities - then when the pronouncement comes down, you might have to redo purchasing, banking, and the way end of fiscal year is prepared. That's only 2 examples.

I can go on for hours, since I worked in it for 13 years.

The comparison to projects as complex as a suspension bridge was deliberate - bridge building is possibly the most complex project a civil engineer will be likely to encounter and has a huge number of unknowns involved. Substrates, formations, fault lines, labor costs, municipal legal requirements - all can impact a bridge project. But software design is subject to many more fundamental changes.

I hope that helps your understanding of my points.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Fun Shoe

BadLlama posted:

You can also sum it up as Smed has his own special Smed reality ...

This has to be it - really, my criticisms of the reveal was due to his declaration that what turned out to be H1Z1 would be the game for SWG refugees.
For real? I actually thought, "What if SOE bought The Repopulation? That's probably it!" I got all excited for a couple days until I forgot again.

Then they showed the game.
Oh.
Zombies.
Okay, I guess?

But it was just Smedley being weird. I can't get mad at the guy, he's just not quite on the same page. He's got a new game that he personally seems to enjoy.
I think he's just always feeling guilty about SWG, so it comes up in just about every interview and he just babbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Fun Shoe
Wow. That's terrifying. Thanks for the correction and further info.

• Locked thread