Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Website | Steam Page | Cost: $15 / £11 for 1 copy | $5 / £4 for RoG DLC | $5 / £3.75 for DST Beta Access

Out Now: Don't Starve Together! Multiplayer is now in open-beta, at a cost of $5 for access, and will be released for free this spring, when the base price of the game will rise.

:siren: We now have a DST Steam Group: Fat Goons Don't Starve!, a Dedicated Server and our own Mumble Server!

Setup Instructions for Mumble and the Dedicated Server.

Made by Klei Entertainment, the team behind Shank and Mark of the Ninja, Don't Starve is a survival/exploration game set in a harsh wilderness. Featuring roguelike elements, with each world being procedurally generated at the start of a new game and destroyed again upon death, you must learn to exploit your environment and conquer its inhabitants if you ever hope to escape and find your way back home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXP4_2qRHng

Latest Update: April 30th 2014:
Build # 100795 : Where there's a Wilson...
ROG Full-Release Trailer
Don't Starve Together is now in paid-beta!

Characters

You start out as Wilson, the Gentleman Scientist, but other characters will unlock as you play, each with their own unique strengths, weaknesses and personalities.

From left to right, Wes, Wigfrid (RoG Only), Wickerbottom, Wendy, Willow, Wilson, Wolfgang, WX-78, Woodie, Webber (RoG Only) and Maxwell (Unlocked by completing Adventure Mode correctly)

So how do I win?
You win by collecting all of the things (the ring-thing, the box thing, the potato-thing and the crank thing) and combining them on the wooden thing. Sort of.

Unlike most other roguelikes, such as FTL or Crawl, Don't Starves survival strategy nearly always depends upon finding your own personal play-style, for example; some players will use pigs as followers, building massive pig villages to protect them from monsters, others never interact with pigs at all and will focus on combat effectiveness, while others just settle down and build farms.

The best thing you can do is work out why you died last or what's going wrong, and remedy that. Find you're starving? Try setting up camp near a spider nest, beefalo or rabbit holes. Can't fight effectively? Try training monsters into pig villages or tentacles.

Finding your own particular playstyle is the key to surviving, much more than min-maxing your gathering or fighting.

Oh, and remember, space will cause an interaction with the nearest interactable thing, and pressing f will cause you to veer towards the nearest hound in an aggressive manner. Use them, love them.

If you're finding the start of the game boring or tedious, try starting again with the world set to Default+, this gives you chests full of all the resources you need for the first week, at a cost of higher difficulty later on.

DLC: Reign of the Giants
Release Trailer
Priced at around £4, Reign of the Giants adds new monsters, new bosses, weather, two new seasons and various gameplay tweaks. Most players find it a tougher experience than the base game, but don't worry, it has a toggle so you can always disable it again if you don't like it!

A full list of changes from the base-game is here (Link contains Spoilers)

More DLC is planned for the future!

Mods
On Steam Workshop, simply click "subscribe" on the mod's Steam Workshop page, and it will be downloaded and updated automatically for as long as you're subscribed. If you're using the DRM-Free version or can't find the mod on Steam, use the Klei option, download the mod and unzip the contents to your mods folder. It should be \steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\mods for the Steam version.

Enable mods via the in-game Mods menu. It's recommended to install and use mods one or two at a time, as they may be outdated for your current patch. Go slow, and then you know what to blame when issues arise!

Recommended:
[ RoG Compataility ] [ Mods with a ✓ may still be "out of date", they should work anyway ]
[ ✓ ] Simple HUD : Displays your character's status, along with other things. Alternative to Always On Status.
[ ✓ ] Dawnbreak : Moves half of the dusk period to the morning, giving you a dawn period.
[ ✓ ] Smarter Crock Pot : Adds a box to the crockpot that shows the results of a recipe before you craft it.
[ ✓ ] Where's My Beefalo? : Shows Beefalo and various other things on the map, once revealed.
[ ✓ ] Wormhole Marks : Colours Wormhole pairs for easy identification.
[ ✓ ] Sort Inventory : Sorts your inventory when you press Z, putting tools first, food second and everything else third. Doesn't play well with mods that give a dedicated backpack slot.
[ ✓ ] Minimap HUD : Adds a simple minimap.
[ ✓ ] Minimap HUD MZ : Alternative to the above - adds a Minimap HUD with many customizable options.

Game-Changing:
[ ✓ ] Display Food Values : Displays the amount your health/hunger/sanity will change when the food is consumed.
[ ✓ ] Auto Catch : Thrown boomerangs no longer require manual catching.
[ ✓ ] Faster Followers : Speeds up your followers, so you won't leave them behind (as often).
[ ? ] Relaxed Crafting : Pauses the game while the crafting menu is open or a placeable item is selected.
[ ? ] Backpack and Amulet Slots : Provides separate armor, backpack and amulet slots.
[ ✓ ] Craft Stuff : Allows crafting of many normally uncraftable objects.
[ ✓ ] Waiter 101 : Adds a pile more crockpot recipes. Compatible with Smarter Crockpot[/url]

Other:
[ ✓ ] Geometric Placement : Adds a "Snap to Grid" key for when placing items, let your OCD run wild.
[ ✓ ] No Warning : Disables the in-game warning about activating mods.

Links:
The Wiki, refer to this often.
The Don't Starve Website
The Klei Entertainment Forums
Buy the game and DLC via Steam or the Humble Store!
Update Posters. (Does anyone have all the wallpapers?)
The Previous thread

Thanks to: Bouchacha for mod suggestions and formatting, Verr for Strategy and ZombieIsland for writing the original OP, the butchered remains of which have been used to craft this post.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
New thread is off to a great start. Having just started playing this again after getting gifted it back in the beta, I am loving it and the new DLC. One thing I kinda grown to love doing on my third character is luring the hounds and bosses out to the swamp near my base camp, as not only the tentacles/spiders/merfolks quickly kill what comes in, but since there no trees I don't have to worry about a fire destroying everything out there.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the new OP! I'm looking forward to playing with the new update tonight. One thing I found in my latest game is that catcoons are almost game-breakingly good. kill something and feed a morsel to a catcoon, and it'll follow you around and cough stuff up (including more morsels!), kill birds that land near your base, and just stick around when the friendliness 'runs out', waiting for you to feed it again. When it dies it gives you a cool hat most of the time.

Once I walked past 2 catcoon bases and they were facing each other having a cute little dance. Then, one of them got gibbed and turned into a sweet hat :smith: (the cute dance was actually a slapfight, in retrospect)

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

New crockpot recipes in the last update are Flower Salad, Icecream, Watermelonicle, Trail Mix, Hot Chili, and Guacamole.

Flower Salad (cactus flower + vegetables) restores lots of health, so it may be good enough to use as a staple, but I have no idea how often cactus flowers drop.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Maybe my save file was bugged or I was doing something wrong, but earlier I had a 30+ day run with Wendy where at one point while low on sanity, I decided to gather a few green mushroom caps and cook them to bring me back to normal. But when I tried to eat them, I still lost the one health and regained no sanity (supposed to be 15), I'm not sure if this is intended or not, I have a few mods installed from the workshop (always on status, where's my beefalo, smarter crockpot), if it matters.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
It was a bug with the patch that was fixed in a hotfix

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
Great OP! I've only unlocked the first 3 characters but this is so much fun exploring in this game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow I really hate the rabbitman. They killed me twice in a row in my current game. Which would been a game over except I found two altars. Third time however they weren't so lucky and they got completely wiped out, with all their houses being burned so they won't return again. All because they got mad when I entered the cave even through I left meat at the entrance. Wouldn't normally died except I didn't have any armor on and didn't notice how hard they hit. Second time I died is because I didn't figure they are permanently mad at me, attacking me on sight before I could even grab my stuff.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

I liked the concept of the original game, but I quickly became lost in a tedium without progression. This was very early in the original game's Early Access period. Is it worth reengaging this game again? If so, should I go with the DLC or stick with vanilla Don't Starve?

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

Zoolooman posted:

I liked the concept of the original game, but I quickly became lost in a tedium without progression. This was very early in the original game's Early Access period. Is it worth reengaging this game again? If so, should I go with the DLC or stick with vanilla Don't Starve?

The game has changed a lot since then, and it's possible to eventually win a game now so you have and end goal to work towards. For Reign of Giants, personally I think you should get it only if you get back into the base game and enjoy it. RoG mainly adds two new seasons you have to plan for (as opposed to just summer and winter in the base game) and a few new biomes with stuff in them. It makes the game noticeably more difficult, I think.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Zoolooman posted:

The vanilla game has been expanded a lot since april last year (I got reeled in via a youtube LP of DS back then), they gave characters more unique perks and extended maps to have underground caves and ruins. With the exception of one character, there still isn't 'character progression' like most rogue likes RPGs. The underground aspect kept me hooked however since I already spent a lot of time making a base camp. Going on expeditions that I may not survive was great fun on top of the usual trying not to starve.

Reign of Giants changes quite a few of the basic mechanics such as relying on rabbits for food or hassling bees for healing items and food. It certainly adds more things to worry about that can be difficult to break out of and focus exploring the world. It's not so bad as to be 'not worth it' but it requires adapting quickly because more things can go wrong.

I would try picking up the base game again first then maybe trying out some mods (both in the OP and the most popular listing on steam) and seeing how that goes.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

As a veteran player who is absolutely terrible, I've actually found RoG a little easier than the base game, maybe because it breaks me out of previous patterns, and also because of the new food sources and new ways of restoring sanity. Either way, you can always disable it again and go back to the base game.

If you haven't played since the early game, a ton of stuff has changed, originally it had a research system where you fed the science machine gold for exp, and then you used that exp to unlock items across all of your characters. They ditched that for the current system, where you can build anything as long as you have the correct materials and are near the right science machine, as well as adding and changing around pretty much everything else as they went.

It's a completely different game, and a better one. Take another look!

If you have a problem with the mod from the OP, or I've crossed something that works, just say, I only use Crock Pot, Always on and Beefalo, so I'm just going off Steam comments. :downs:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 17, 2014

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Played it for a few hours last night. I saw possibly-deerclops? (edit: moose-goose) for the first time. he laid a big egg and chicks came out. I need some kind of ranged weapon to kill them since they run away. moose-goose himself killed about 10000 bees and 5000 frogs, but he's still alive. I'm a little scared to take him on since he's apparently a stone cold badass. Also, when I arrived at the place which I knew would be my base (10 ponds, a merman hut, 10 hives, close to rabbits, forest) I saw 6 pigs killing 6 mermen guys. Is that a setpiece or something? there were no pig houses anywhere nearby.

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 17, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Should I bother keeping Gloomer alive? He always getting in the way of my attacks since he likes flying ahead of me. This wouldn't be a problem if killing him instantly spawns Krampus. Which I don't mind fighting him except somehow that one tree I cut down just before I accidentally killed Gloomer due to a spider spawned a Treeguard as well.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

redreader posted:

Played it for a few hours last night. I saw possibly-deerclops? (edit: moose-goose) for the first time. he laid a big egg and chicks came out. I need some kind of ranged weapon to kill them since they run away. moose-goose himself killed about 10000 bees and 5000 frogs, but he's still alive. I'm a little scared to take him on since he's apparently a stone cold badass. Also, when I arrived at the place which I knew would be my base (10 ponds, a merman hut, 10 hives, close to rabbits, forest) I saw 6 pigs killing 6 mermen guys. Is that a setpiece or something? there were no pig houses anywhere nearby.

This thing..?

Tallbird.

This is a deerclops. Linked in case it's a spoiler.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Met posted:

This thing..?

Tallbird.

This is a deerclops. Linked in case it's a spoiler.

there is a new giant that is a moose goose

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Rirse posted:

Should I bother keeping Gloomer alive? He always getting in the way of my attacks since he likes flying ahead of me. This wouldn't be a problem if killing him instantly spawns Krampus. Which I don't mind fighting him except somehow that one tree I cut down just before I accidentally killed Gloomer due to a spider spawned a Treeguard as well.

Just drop the flower at your camp, he'll stay wherever you throw it and if you're like me, you probably only need the big sanity boost it gives at night anyway.

The pigs vs Mermen, I've seen this a few times too, I figure it's just a way of giving the player some free meat and fish. :v:

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

I enjoy strategically summoning Treeguards. I get in the habit of collecting wood away from camp, maybe near a spider den or pig village. Then just wait for him to punch many a thing and pick up all the loot later.

Though one time he wound up smashing a whole herd of mating season Beefalo... the carnage... :gonk:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Will the DLC be coming to the PS4 version?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I bought this game right before it ended the beta period on steam, played it some and enjoyed it but uninstalled after I got a bit frustrated. I'm coming back now after getting heavily into other games that hate me and want me to die (Binding of Isaac, Dark Souls, FTL, Risk of Rain, Spelunky, etc). But even after punishing myself and pushing through with those games to win, I find I still can't get over the hump with Don't Starve. I think my biggest issue isn't dying from hunger or sanity, but rather from being unable to combat and kite enemies effectively, which seems necessary for most if not all of them.

Also is Default Plus a good idea for starting out if you want that jump-start? Seems to eliminate most of the tedium of restarting the early game without sacrificing any of the game's brutalness.

And I ran into this on a recent world-gen:

I couldnt move on the road in those two tight spots over water, it was just like an invisible wall. Not that it mattered, I died the next day anyway, but still.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Ah poo poo sorry to double post, but I have to say a lot of the new content I'm running into since I first played is pretty awesome of Klei too.

I just thought I lucked out on an icebox, weatherometer, and chest sitting by themselves on my first day, but opening the chest instantly changed the world into the middle of winter and it started snowing hard.

:allears:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Logan 5 posted:

I just thought I lucked out on an icebox, weatherometer, and chest sitting by themselves on my first day, but opening the chest instantly changed the world into the middle of winter and it started snowing hard.

:allears:
Never even knew there was stuff like that. Now I'll have to be more careful with freebies

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Don't Starve wiki lists the set pieces that can spawn in the world including the ice box trap you mentioned. Granted that says Deerclops is suppose to spawn when that happens as well.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Set_Piece

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Logan 5 posted:

And I ran into this on a recent world-gen:

I couldnt move on the road in those two tight spots over water, it was just like an invisible wall. Not that it mattered, I died the next day anyway, but still.

This is like a puzzle, they appear sometimes, from what I've seen you have to walk around the z-shape and it has a ton of tentacles you have to out-run.

Edit: Ah, I didn't know there was a wiki page/term for them, neat!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 18, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh gently caress the Dragonfly. Even through it got hit TWICE by the Old Bell, repeat attacks by two Spider Queens and numerous tentacles, it still killed me when I was hitting it with the Dark Sword. Between that and overheating I will just disable summer from all future playthroughs. Summer is just too lovely in the game now.

[edit] Started a new game as WX-88 just now...man Spring is a bad start for him since rain is constant and it hard to heal early on. Failed to get a umbrella in time for the next rainfall because the drat spiders kept eating the pig skin since I was so low health from the last rainfall that I can't even try to fight any of the spiders.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 19, 2014

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Died in the end of my 'almost got from autumn to summer' game due to rain of frogs: frogs in my base just ruined my day and wasted time so many times, eventually leading to hounds burning down part of my base (I thought the hounds would attack later than they did) and not having a light source on me.

I also tried to kite frogs into spiders but that didn't work either. I tried that about 5 times so it seems that it definitely doesn't work.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Today I turned all the world generation settings up to max.

It was a god drat warzone all over. (also having unlimited gears as WX-whatsit was kinda funny)

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Decided to dive back into this game with a clean slate and an empty morgue. I like a lot of others burned out over the early game tedium of setting up the required poo poo before you can start having fun and depending on my mood at any given time; I might just spawn myself in some stacks and base poo poo.
The one thing that always slows me down is getting out of the health pit. My health is low. My only way to raise my health is to graze flowers forever or farm spider glands. Which is a risky prospect in early game when all you have is a spear.

Still love this game. Excellent OP. The quality of the mods in the workshop for this game is above par, but op is great for helping pick through the multitude of player's lovely MSPaint OC's (DO NOT STEAL!!!)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Sex Robot posted:

Decided to dive back into this game with a clean slate and an empty morgue. I like a lot of others burned out over the early game tedium of setting up the required poo poo before you can start having fun and depending on my mood at any given time; I might just spawn myself in some stacks and base poo poo.

If you choose the harsher, quicker start option, it gives you chests full of food and resources, making for a much quicker camp.

And yeah, everyone and their mother seems to have their own terrible custom character, Googling for that pic of all the characters in a line, it was amazing just how many there were. My favourite was one where the creator couldn't even work out transparency, so everything was surrounded by white boxes.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Nettle Soup posted:

If you choose the harsher, quicker start option, it gives you chests full of food and resources, making for a much quicker camp.

And yeah, everyone and their mother seems to have their own terrible custom character, Googling for that pic of all the characters in a line, it was amazing just how many there were. My favourite was one where the creator couldn't even work out transparency, so everything was surrounded by white boxes.

The Default Plus start with monsters and the food sources set back to normal feels largely like the default settings, the only bit of scripting seems to be the chests. I wouldn't blame anyone if they went with a modified Default Plus start for future runs because I'd rather explore on the first two days than harvest and cut down everything in sight as necessity dictates on a default run.

Another note is that mandrakes are incredibly rare on their default setting, I'd be lucky if I find one or two; 'More' will net you around 10-15 on a medium map.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

edit: never mind!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Today I turned all the world generation settings up to max.

It was a god drat warzone all over. (also having unlimited gears as WX-whatsit was kinda funny)

Just tried that myself...it was hilarious and I only lasted five minutes!

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Rirse posted:

The Don't Starve wiki lists the set pieces that can spawn in the world including the ice box trap you mentioned. Granted that says Deerclops is suppose to spawn when that happens as well.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Set_Piece

Nettle Soup posted:

This is like a puzzle, they appear sometimes, from what I've seen you have to walk around the z-shape and it has a ton of tentacles you have to out-run.

Edit: Ah, I didn't know there was a wiki page/term for them, neat!

Ahh, see and here I thought it was a world-gen bug. Well, now I know better, and wow there are a lot more set pieces that I haven't come across yet.

Anyway, I finally made it through my 1st Winter with winston using default plus (the tradeoff for plus seems to be a ton more spiders...). This is despite such highlights as: running into a spider queen on day 15 or so, having 4 treebeard dudes spawn nearly at once, having the deerclops spawn near the end of my winter not once, but twice, which is the first time I ever dealt with him (and absolutely terrifying, what the hell don't starve this game is hard enough!)

I feel like the secret to my newfound "success" is that 1) you can hammer pig houses in the day and get their materials and it won't agrro the pigs, which I didn't know, and 2) using a log suit + football helmet as soon as fighting happens makes it a lot more likely to survive whatever encounter you're having.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the road going over it was probably a world gen bug, but the weird shape itself wasn't. They apparently upped the set piece frequency with the DLC so you're probably going to see a bunch of unique stuff that you haven't found before.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Is anyone else getting a bug where cooking anything in a crock pot results in rot, even if you used all fresh ingredients? Also in adventure mode on The Game is Afoot, is winter supposed to ever end? It warms up eventually but winter never "officially" ends, so nothing will respawn.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
So has everybody here beat adventure mode or do people just give up and just play the game without bothering? I finally found a portal to start it and goddamn, it's hard. The whole dying and being reset back to ground zero is pretty harsh since it took me a long rear end time just to beat my first level. I've died about five times now.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

I've managed to reach that stable, unkillable plateau. But it took two full years (twice as many days as it usually would in vanilla), it's with a fully upgraded WX-88, and it's still constant fighting between giants, hounds, keeping spider farms under control, etc. So yeah, RoG is hard. Going to head down into the caves next, I think.

Also, here are a couple mods that aren't listed in the OP. So far, they both work with RoG.

Auto Catch: Thrown boomerangs no longer require manual catching.
Relaxed Crafting: Pauses the game while the crafting menu is open or a placeable item is selected.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I Said No posted:

Is anyone else getting a bug where cooking anything in a crock pot results in rot, even if you used all fresh ingredients? Also in adventure mode on The Game is Afoot, is winter supposed to ever end? It warms up eventually but winter never "officially" ends, so nothing will respawn.

I have had that happen occasionally, but not every time. It might be related to how things will start to decay on the crock pot now - maybe it sometimes messes up the calculation and just makes it rot instantly.

The Game is Afoot is supposed to turn to summer forever after day 10 - is adventure mode affected by RoG at all? Maybe the new seasons are messing it up.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I thought that rot from crock pots was due to the crock pot being wet, or rained on. It has happened to me too but not often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street
Nice a new thread! Sorry I never kept up with the original thread guys, I just lost interest of the game and was caught up in school work, Thanks for making a new one Nettle Soup! I think I'm going to get back into this game, it was so much fun when it first came out.

ZombieIsland fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 21, 2014

• Locked thread