Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nettle Soup posted:

And yeah, everyone and their mother seems to have their own terrible custom character, Googling for that pic of all the characters in a line, it was amazing just how many there were. My favourite was one where the creator couldn't even work out transparency, so everything was surrounded by white boxes.

I don't know what I love more, people cramming their fursona or ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL into the game or people adapting completely random characters from cartoons and anime and other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
So I got to summer for the first time on a world started in Autumn. It doesn't seem as bad as it was made out to be. Having some ice boxes, a bunch of stored ice, an ice cube and a refrigerated thermal stone seems to keep the heat down pretty well. Don't think i'd want to go on any adventures away from my base though just in case my chests start smoldering again. Luckily that ice comes in handy.
Also is it just me or is the Ice Flinger borderline useless? Not only does it snuff out campfires, but it also failed to save a grass farm from going up in flames, and it doesn't seem to refresh plants at all. My saplings and crops keep withering even when it chucks ice at them.

Sex Robot posted:

who loving cares

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sex Robot posted:

I'm bothered more by the awful grammar and formatting than anything.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Sex Robot posted:

I'm not surprised in the least, but the devianart-ish style and weird proportions bother me. Way more than the awful grammar anyway.

Anyway, just survived my 2nd winter, got two iceboxes and at this point by the end of it I have more than enough food. Too much in fact, I have 2 crockpots, 7 drying racks, 2 bee boxes, 7 improved farms, and 6 berry bushes in an enclosure with traps to kill turkeys. Not to mention a ton of bunny traps. What should I be prioritizing now though? I made a beefalo enclosure but have only managed to get one in there (I don't have a lot of them and the few that I killed did not yield a horn). Is there any other trick to herding them?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

My Little Pony mods are the new Elder Scrolls-style boob mods and you just kinda know/accept that they're there for everything now.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

I Said No posted:

So I got to summer for the first time on a world started in Autumn. It doesn't seem as bad as it was made out to be. Having some ice boxes, a bunch of stored ice, an ice cube and a refrigerated thermal stone seems to keep the heat down pretty well. Don't think i'd want to go on any adventures away from my base though just in case my chests start smoldering again. Luckily that ice comes in handy.
Also is it just me or is the Ice Flinger borderline useless? Not only does it snuff out campfires, but it also failed to save a grass farm from going up in flames, and it doesn't seem to refresh plants at all. My saplings and crops keep withering even when it chucks ice at them.

The flingomatic is useful for making sure your base doesn't light on fire. The only time that's happened to my current base is when I stupidly placed a chest outside the coverage area of my two flingomatics.

They do put out fire / endothermic fire pits, which I hope Klei or a mod will change. For now, I just leave the flingomatics running all summer and run over to a nearby secondary camp (just the two pits, lightning rod, and a field of tooth traps for hounds), but you can also micromanage the flingomatics by turning them off just before night and back on when day hits.

I don't even bother going to my twig/grass/berry farms in summer. You can't harvest and they're a fire hazard. I put them 2-3 screens away and stay away all summer.

Rot is an excellent extinguisher, since it's much less useful than ice / manure / other fuel.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Caves are garbage. Enormous tilesets with many dead ends and little of value. Slurtles, Snurtles, Batilisks and light plants are the only useful things down there. It's helpful for farming rocks, spiders, reeds tentacle spots but that can be done on the surface too without running around for hours.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Carecat posted:

Caves are garbage. Enormous tilesets with many dead ends and little of value. Slurtles, Snurtles, Batilisks and light plants are the only useful things down there. It's helpful for farming rocks, spiders, reeds tentacle spots but that can be done on the surface too without running around for hours.

So far caves are the best place for dying, I've found.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The music is pretty dandy!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Carecat posted:

There is also a second level with all the game's best items

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
How do you destroy the frog ponds? I like to play in worlds with maxed monsters, but because I can't kill their nests the frogs always snowball into an all consuming wave of croaking doom.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Trying to start Adventure Mode since I found the door early on with WX-78, but having trouble with the first world. Either so far get "King of Winter" where it hard to do much before stopping to charge up the thermal stone or get one world where it starts in Spring, so once it started raining that was it for WX-78 since it just destroyed his health.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThirdEmperor posted:

How do you destroy the frog ponds? I like to play in worlds with maxed monsters, but because I can't kill their nests the frogs always snowball into an all consuming wave of croaking doom.

I don't think you can, except by just setting the world to perma-winter so they'll always be frozen over (or perma-night so they won't come out).

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Carecat posted:

They're even worse in RoG, since 1) you can use Moggles (repairable with the sewing kit) instead of a Miner's Hat if you want hands-free night vision, and 2) the weather above ground leaks into the caves.

After awhile I still go down there so I can make rabbit hutches above-ground for spider vs. rabbit thunderdome, and for nitre for gunpowder once I've mined the overworld clean. Since above-ground tentacles don't respawn, the big tentacle pillars are also the only renewable source of tentacle spikes and spots, and bone shards (they can drop skeletons).

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ThirdEmperor posted:

you could wall them in, set up traps around them, or surround them with pigs/spiders so their perpetual war keeps both populations in check

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Just hit day 7 on a new run. Jumped down a wormhole because I was getting so loving bored of searching for beefalo, thought I'd try potluck.

It spat me out right next to a tallfort, I lasted 4 seconds.

:suicide:

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
That's a shame. I guess I'll be making lots and lots and lots of traps.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

ThirdEmperor posted:

Frogs are kinda like the cockroaches of the Don't Starve universe. Eventually they are going to kill everything.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Sex Robot posted:

Just hit day 7 on a new run. Jumped down a wormhole because I was getting so loving bored of searching for beefalo, thought I'd try potluck.

It spat me out right next to a tallfort, I lasted 4 seconds.

:suicide:

I had a similar run-in the other day. I decide to see where some of the wormholes go because I hadn't used them after something like 30 days. I get spat out right next to MacTusk and his legion of dogshit. I escaped with 4 health and ended up dying to a spider shortly after.

Also, Bearger finally decided to put in an appearance yesterday. Holy balls that thing is terror incarnate. My tooth trap field did fuckall to it, it did a huge slam attack and broke an entire wall i'd built to keep pigs out of the trap field as well as uprooting loads of nearby trees, and nearly 1-hit killed me. So I kite it over to a beefalo herd hoping they can deal with it, only for him to promptly go :fuckoff: and kill the entire herd in like two strikes then murder me. I came back at a touch stone and I guess the Bearger decided to despawn while I was away, leaving me with something like 90 meats and shitloads of beefalo wool.
I'm just glad the bastard didn't get into my base, i'm sure he would have obliterated everything.

EDIT:
Out of curiosity, what are your leading causes of death? I just went through my morgue to see what's killed me the most often for the heck of it. Here's my stats:

5 Deaths:
Spider, Terrorbeak
3 Deaths:
Spider Warrior, Hound, Mactusk, Darkness
2 Deaths:
Crawling Horror, Treeguard, Killer Bee
1 Death:
Bearger, Freezing, Clockwork Bishop, Batilisk, Pengull, Tallbird, Bunnyman, Tentacle, Guard Pig, Frog, Nitre

I Said No fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 22, 2014

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

I died during the first Rain of frogs I encountered because I wasn't paying attention and accidentally aggroed them right as night hit. Didn't have a torch ready and I spent the entire night running in circles around my dwindling fire as 50 million (a low estimate) frogs swarmed me. :D

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

TheChad posted:

I died during the first Rain of frogs I encountered because I wasn't paying attention and accidentally aggroed them right as night hit. Didn't have a torch ready and I spent the entire night running in circles around my dwindling fire as 50 million (a low estimate) frogs swarmed me. :D

Rain of frogs is loving bullshit. 10 days later : 'doop de doop doing something around my base OH GOD FROGS from 10 days ago'. repeat x10 each day.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

escalator dropdown posted:

They're even worse in RoG, since 1) you can use Moggles (repairable with the sewing kit) instead of a Miner's Hat if you want hands-free night vision, and 2) the weather above ground leaks into the caves.

After awhile I still go down there so I can make rabbit hutches above-ground for spider vs. rabbit thunderdome, and for nitre for gunpowder once I've mined the overworld clean. Since above-ground tentacles don't respawn, the big tentacle pillars are also the only renewable source of tentacle spikes and spots, and bone shards (they can drop skeletons).

Oh the tentacles don't respawn? That probably why the swamp trap I was using started to fail toward the end with Dragonfly. Must have lost too many from bearger and the countless hounds who all died to the swamp but managed to kill off some of the tentacles each time.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

redreader posted:

Rain of frogs is loving bullshit. 10 days later : 'doop de doop doing something around my base OH GOD FROGS from 10 days ago'. repeat x10 each day.

It's why I've taken up residence near a beefalo herd ever since. Soon as the frogs start dropping beeline for the drat beefalo and you'll end up with 40/80 frog legs and a few dozen meats. They only seem to spawn on or near your screen so at the very least you get way less faffing about in your base being assholes.

Honestly though, at this point 90% of my early game strategy revolves around beefalo herds so i'd do it anyways. :D

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

Luring the frogs to hang out next to beehives is fun.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

redreader posted:

In addition to bees/beefalo/pigs, you can trap frogs by basically dropping the trap right on them. With a little practice, it's easy to do without taking a hit. It's good for clearing them out of your base after the rain stops, and doesn't aggro other frogs like attacking does.

It also feels like staying relatively put spawns fewer than if you run a few screens away to beefalo/pigs/bees/traps, but I haven't confirmed that at all.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

escalator dropdown posted:

It also feels like staying relatively put spawns fewer than if you run a few screens away to beefalo/pigs/bees/traps, but I haven't confirmed that at all.

I'm pretty sure your correct here. Definitely worth it though.

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

The ultimate hard mode of this game is no flint to be found for six days and four wormhole trips. Thank goodness I had Willow, and I managed to tame a catcoon that found berries for me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I can say this much, in my next game I'm making a chest far enough from my camp simply to put the glommer flower there. That wing sound is driving me AROUND the bend.

Also, catcoons are like really, really useful to have around.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I saw somebody say that the Glommer raises your characters sanity, whilst lowering the players, it seemed pretty spot on.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I like the controller support for the game, but whoever thought putting the torch "light object" having a higher priority over the Crockpot "cook" was a jerk. Lost the adventure mode session I had because the crocketpot got set on fire and killed my already low health character. Sucks since I was finally starting to get to a point in "King of Winter" to survive...and now I have to start from square one again.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
gently caress rain of frogs, gently caress it gently caress that loving fucker.

Like, the shittiest season also occasionally rains literally billions of hostile mobs on your head.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

gently caress rain of frogs, gently caress it gently caress that loving fucker.

Like, the shittiest season also occasionally rains literally billions of hostile mobs on your head.

If you are near beefalo you end up with a year's worth of food, if you aren't you end up with a year's worth of hostile mobs loving with you. :D

What are catcoons good for?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

TheChad posted:

If you are near beefalo you end up with a year's worth of food, if you aren't you end up with a year's worth of hostile mobs loving with you. :D

They cough up gold, rot, morsels, berries and other stuff a lot. You can feed them morsels to make them stay. They are poo poo at fighting but can help a bit. They drop stuff that makes a nice hat. They raise your sanity I think. they hunt rabbits and birds.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Do you have to constantly feed em or can you relocate one permanently?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

TheChad posted:

Do you have to constantly feed em or can you relocate one permanently?

You have to constantly feed one but AFAIK when he runs out of food he just sits there and you can re-feed him any time. I think. Also he provides more morsels than he costs.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

TheChad posted:

or bees or spiders or tentacles, any of them kill frogs with ease. Also they are super easy to trap.

Frog rain is the best rain.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Stereotype posted:

or bees or spiders or tentacles, any of them kill frogs with ease. Also they are super easy to trap.

Frog rain is the best rain.

I thought frogs didn't aggro spiders. (walking on their webs at least.)

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

Catcoons will also accept feathers and a few things as "toys", so if it randomly kills a bird you can give him the loot.

And one time it coughed up a tumbleweed with a blueprint inside. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Dammit! I had a great start and was up until day 30, then I decided to explore my nearby cave, everything was going well until I decided to pick a "mysterious plant", it spawned some huge monster that one hit killed me >_< I can't find anything about it on the wiki, what is it?

• Locked thread