Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

Fano posted:

Dammit! I had a great start and was up until day 30, then I decided to explore my nearby cave, everything was going well until I decided to pick a "mysterious plant", it spawned some huge monster that one hit killed me >_< I can't find anything about it on the wiki, what is it?

It's a Depths Worm. It's fairly easy to kite but its bite packs a wallop. They're slow so it's possible to run from them if you don't want to spend time fighting them, which is probably what you'll want to do because they take a while to kill and don't drop very good loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Does anyone know what the deal is with evil-looking Wilson on the update section?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
That's just the image they use, it cycles as an update nears. Sometimes you just go crazy and gotta axemurder a pig, okay?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay having fun again in the game after putting my adventure mode attempts on hold (WX-98 really gets it rough at the start) and started a Default Plus game with Webber. Which is actually going quite great, even if I need to find a way to kill off the Pig Warriors defending the Pig King so I can use his service. Shame I wasted the spider colony he comes with to make room for items default plus gives you.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Fano posted:

Dammit! I had a great start and was up until day 30, then I decided to explore my nearby cave, everything was going well until I decided to pick a "mysterious plant", it spawned some huge monster that one hit killed me >_< I can't find anything about it on the wiki, what is it?

my exact first cave experience. I tried to go back and get all my stuff and then I died for reals.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

redreader posted:

my exact first cave experience. I tried to go back and get all my stuff and then I died for reals.

Yeah that what happened with my Wigrid run, except it was the bunnyman who kept killing me instead of the depthworm. Doubt I will ever see the Ruins at this rate.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
loving Bunnymen ended my 100+ day run as Wickerbottom the other day. I swear to god i'm going to genocide every one of those bastards the next time I go down there.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

I Said No posted:

loving Bunnymen ended my 100+ day run as Wickerbottom the other day. I swear to god i'm going to genocide every one of those bastards the next time I go down there.

My current Wigfrid is at war with the drat Bunnymen. :D

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow, thought when I setup my base camp with Webber that I was near the Pig King since Warrior Pigs kept coming for me. It was just a bunch of pig torches surrounding a ton of berry bushes. I am liking Webber, even if it a bit weird having the spiders be allies and the pigs are the ones I have to fight off. Also I need to make sure to not lure Chester into a spider nest next time.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

So, did the new patch break the game for anyone else? I'm freezing while standing next to a campfire. :(

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
So I just picked this up because of the sale and it's rather addicting. My first game went pretty terrible as expected, second was going pretty well until on the fourthish day I got mobbed by a horde of killer bat things, and my third lasted all of two nights before the same horde of bat things ate my face.

Is there something I should be doing to make sure that doesn't happen? I didn't even have a weapon by that point and had to try and fight them off with an axe but there where six of them, if I tried to fight I got swarmed. I tried training them into a pig village but the pigs attacked me. Can I turn the hell bats off?

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

The bats come from the cave sinkholes. You can avoid them by not breaking the rocks that cover them.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Wilhemina posted:

The bats come from the cave sinkholes. You can avoid them by not breaking the rocks that cover them.

AH HA! Thank you, I'll have to remember that.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Or just don't build a base near dangerous spawns. Try building in the grasslands, a screen away from any beefalo herds and preferably near some rabbit holes. You'll want to plant some trees nearby but it's a very safe start. Firepit + crockpot will make surviving a lot easier. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for the new thread! :)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh nice, I bought the soundtrack yesterday from the daily deal since I like the music in the game a lot and had some extra card money, but noticed it only had the songs from the base game. Now I noticed after a patch just now it has all the Reign of Giant tracks! :toot:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

On that note, it's on sale for the next 43 hours for £4/£7+DLC!

Get to it! http://store.steampowered.com/app/219740/

First person who wants a copy and doesn't already have it, PM me. :)

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 29, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Holy poo poo I just got so wrecked. I was pretty hungry and almost dead when I found a koalafant trail. Followed it to the end and instead of a juicy meat pinata, there's an enormous wolf thing who constantly summons smaller wolves. RIP Wolfgang.

On a side note, it seems way harder to stockpile for winter than before. I got pretty lucky with gears and made an icebox early on, but now that you can't store rabbits anymore, I basically had no food stockpile on Day 16 or so. When I died to the varg.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Wow did your wolfgang get smoked by a wolf gang? Sweet.

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

I had such a nice early start with Wendy. I picked out a campsite a couple screens away from a pig village right at the edge of a swamp. I could be far enough away during a full moon, and stop by to pick up meat drops from pig versus tentacle brawls. Plus a couple spider dens around.

Then I found a HUGE number of Tallbirds, and Abigail got caught up fighting them. I couldn't find her flower for a couple days. I managed to wake up a Treeguard to help beat up the Tallbirds while I searched around their nests, and I found the flower! ... right at the edge of a cliff at the sea, apparently a couple pixels too far for me to pick it up. :bang:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btI6Eyqv01c

Well Reign of Giants is out of early access now with the latest update, which also leads to that video above.. Also there seems to be a ARG in it now with a piece of paper that spawns upon starting a new game.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Rirse posted:

Oh nice, I bought the soundtrack yesterday from the daily deal since I like the music in the game a lot and had some extra card money, but noticed it only had the songs from the base game. Now I noticed after a patch just now it has all the Reign of Giant tracks! :toot:

Just to add onto this the songs aren't just if you own the soundtrack, the news note say that they are free to anyone who owns the DLC

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Rirse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btI6Eyqv01c

Well Reign of Giants is out of early access now with the latest update, which also leads to that video above.. Also there seems to be a ARG in it now with a piece of paper that spawns upon starting a new game.

This also means that RoG is out on GOG, which is good if you're like me and bought Don't Starve on GOG.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Woah... I just found something totally new; that I've not even heard about before a Note. When Wilson reads it, he says: "2 -(22.9)". Anyone know anything about this?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Other than that it's that ARG that Rirse mentioned three or four posts up? Not really.

It might be worth a try to check those longitude and latitude coordinates though. If it's underwater it's probably not supposed to be interpreted that way, but if it's on land and you live nearby it might be a geocache!

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003
Picked this up a couple of days ago on the steam sale. So far i've managed to die a whole lot.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nimrod posted:

Picked this up a couple of days ago on the steam sale. So far i've managed to die a whole lot.
Working as intended.

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

Ran into an epic showdown last night. Pig village, spider nest, and chessboard all decided to spawn next to each other. There was a fierce battle with a rook and a couple knights versus all the pigs and spiders.

Too bad I was playing Wendy, WX-78 would have had a gear feast.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Purchased the expansion, took in the sights as Wigfrid and didn't last too long....being a strict carnivore is pretty drat hard in the first few days when my normal modus operandi is to collect a lot of base materials (sticks, logs, stones etc) while searching for a good base location and surviving on carrots/berries until you start to 'tech' up.

I'm really going to have to rethink my whole opening approach if I want to make any progress with this gal.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Tip with Wigfrid is not to be so worried about eating monster meat. Just make sure you cook it. Since you start out with armor, and regen on killing mobs you can easily recover the lost hp/etc.

Also, you can 1v1 a beefalo immediately upon spawning. :)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You also want to get a crockpot up as soon as possible. You can turn all those veggies into meatballs with just one piece of meat (even monster meat), so they'll still have a use as Wigfrid.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Might be easier to start on Default+ too, you get a lot more spiders to murder and start with a good pile of resources.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
One tip for Wigfrid which allowed her to last all the way from Autumn to Summer (until I tried killing the Summer Giant) is make a camp near a area with several pigs and also a few spider nests. Kill the spiders for monster meat and also getting some HP back and then feed the pigs the meat to make them into monsters to get two big meats and some pig skin. Even with her "only eat meat" policy, you can still sneak berries and other fruit and vegetables into the crockpot for making stuff like meatballs and meaty stew.

Meanwhile you can use the pig skin to make a football helmet for her and/or use it to make more pig houses so you have a constant supply of pigs to farm. I didn't find the pig king until very late in my run mentioned, but with his constant supply of gold you can also keep remaking her armor and spear instead. Otherwise just use one werepig to make a meatbat.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

I often build a base camp in the field biome because jerky is so vital for her. Build like 15 jerky racks (easy to find the mats in a field biome) and kite bosses/hounds/frog rains into the herds. Then dry the dozens of meat you get. :)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Multiplayer is coming this summer.

quote:

What the heck, Klei? What happened to NO MULTIPLAYER?
We promised we would make Don’t Starve the best single player game that we could. To us, this meant using the resources that we had allocated to Don’t Starve and keeping them focused on delivering on that promise. We were not willing to sacrifice our goals for the game to work on a multiplayer version. This was the point we tried to get across in our our original decision.

As we developed Don’t Starve, multiplayer slowly turned into a hot button issue in the community. Ok, let’s face it… it was always a hot button issue. A lot of people have voiced their feelings that multiplayer would be perfect in Don’t Starve. However, at the time we didn’t have the resources to make it happen and we weren't confident that it would actually work both in concept and implementation.

It was (and still is) important to us that multiplayer would not only be interesting for you to play, but also something that we would feel proud of creating.

We weren’t exactly sure how well Don’t Starve would do to begin with. At the time we made the infamous “multiplayer decision,” we didn’t know if we would have the resources to pull off an expansion, let alone a full conversion of our game from the ground up.

Over the past few months, we’ve quietly smuggled in some new people onto our team who immediately said “Heck yeah, this can be a thing!” and actually threw together a proof of concept. After a couple months and an office-wide session of multiplayer Don’t Starve, we were convinced it was worth exploring and bringing it to our community.

Ok, but seriously, you shut down like a million threads!
Since there weren’t any plans to add it, we decided to post a statement to end speculation and argument and keep discussion and feedback focused. Initially we allowed these posts to stay on the forum, and would only close them if they became unruly. It got to a point where there was little if any room for constructive discussion about multiplayer. Each time it was brought up, it would derail into madness faster than before.

Don’t Starve wouldn’t be what it is today without the feedback and discussions that take place in our forums. Moving forward we look forward to having constructive conversations about Don’t Starve Together, just like we did with the original single player game and expansion.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

:stare: Well huh. I wasn't expecting that. Awesome!

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
That's really cool, I always thought that multiplayer could work in DS. Things like resource consumption can be adjusted (they boosted rocks drops in RoG) but handling loot or limited use structures will require consideration. I wish it was called 'Don't Starve Alone!' though. :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just started playing this and I think now I understand people who play Minecraft. I have no clue how to work towards any real goals but I love just wandering around building traps and stuff. I was very frustrated at first until I figured out you can zoom the map (not the game screen, the actual map) enough to see where things are :downs:

The only annoying thing is sometimes it takes forever to find that one piece of gold to make a science machine.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Multiplayer sounds awesome, though I hope there will be servers and not a P2P system, as the lag would be pretty annoying.

Though with only 2-4 players per game, I imagine they're going to go with P2P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

precision posted:

The only annoying thing is sometimes it takes forever to find that one piece of gold to make a science machine.

This is the main reason I always play as Winterbottom. Not needing a level 1 science machine for spades and such is amazing.

I bought this for some of my friends when it first came out and most of them have hardly played it, so this might be a good chance to make them!

• Locked thread