Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Do people still play this? I finally picked up Shipwrecked now that it's out of EA and I'm addicted all over again. I'm kind of liking the world being split up into islands since it makes me re-think my whole exploration strategy. On the downside, I'm not a fan of constantly getting myself stranded on an island with no flint, and how every tree has a chance of killing me.

Also, I forgot how much I absolutely hate dying in this game. It's never because of a crazy attack or disaster, which I always limp away from. I always die from a stupid misclick, or having charlie kill me just as my cursor is hovering a log over the fire pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMania
May 7, 2008
Walani Pros: can surf on big waves and gains 5 sanity when she does so.
Cons: once you build your first boat she plays like a generic character with no perks or drawbacks. She really needs an alchemy engine-crafted super board that has light/sail slots.

And I'm playing off and on with Warly, trying to get Woodlegs legit and he seems like the best character to do so with. You really need to find/make a decent amount of pig houses for him, meaty stew is basically a free pass for his "likes variety" drawback.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I played DST a ton last spring and summer and eventually got burned out. At the time, once you built everything and survived for all four seasons, the game got boring. I haven't played DST caves yet though, and if I come back to the game I'll probably do that (especially since they've been adding Through the Ages content that makes your world evolve as seasons pass). Shipwrecked looks interesting but I have a hard time going back to single-player since multi-player is far superior in almost every way (I say "almost" because griefers can be a problem occasionally if you're on a public server).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I don't see how any of the content is really going to change the DST experience. The reality of the situation is that the game doesn't try very hard to push you out of your comfort zone, so once you've gotten past winter the only thing that can really mess with you are the Giants. And even in the absolute worst case you can just have a secondary camp with a backup fire pit and crock pot where you can relocate for a week or two. Come back after the season changes and the problem will be gone.

Stuff like the caves and ships will add an extra log on the fire, but it doesn't change the fundamental problem.

What we could really use is a sort of co-op adventure mode, with levels utilizing procedurally generated gimmicks. That would definitely bring me back into the game. As it stands it all has the same air of futility as building an autism tower in Minecraft.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I burned out on DST because I only have a few hours a night to game, and joining a server that's past winter makes it either trivial to survive (as the people that have been on the map will have stuff to give you) or very difficult (since the main base is really far from spawn and the map has few resources left).

Joining a server that's in early or late autumn is fun for a bit, but after winter begins and you've got your stuff settled there isn't really much to do since by the time the next season rolls around I'll have run out of time for the night and will probably have to start over the next time I play anyway.

I wonder if the upcoming patch will address this. End game content is always great, but I wager a large portion of players will never see that content if their play habits are similar to mine.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What kind of interaction does Shipwrecked have with the base game/Reign of Giants? Is it like RoG where it adds extra stuff to a normal game or is it kind of its own thing?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What kind of interaction does Shipwrecked have with the base game/Reign of Giants? Is it like RoG where it adds extra stuff to a normal game or is it kind of its own thing?

It is its own thing, you choose if you want a world to be with RoG or with Shipwrecked content. You can link one world to another via the Seaworthy if you really want to.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I bought Shipwrecked. Paddled around looking for gold for 6 days. Found some, but then I accidentally attacked a monkey while surrounded by 20 of them and they all bombared me with poo for instant insanity. Died to the shadowbeasts afterwards.

Death by monkey poo poo seems about right for this series.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Snagged this on sale some time back, finally fired it up last night. Already died a few times, already been laughed at by friends for building 3 fires each night because I didn't realize you could fuel them. Vibing with Tim Burton's Oregon Trail.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

enraged_camel posted:

I played DST a ton last spring and summer and eventually got burned out. At the time, once you built everything and survived for all four seasons, the game got boring. I haven't played DST caves yet though, and if I come back to the game I'll probably do that (especially since they've been adding Through the Ages content that makes your world evolve as seasons pass). Shipwrecked looks interesting but I have a hard time going back to single-player since multi-player is far superior in almost every way (I say "almost" because griefers can be a problem occasionally if you're on a public server).

That's still DST

I would love a formulaic dst 2 at this point which just expands on everything dramatically

And for the love of god a good designer needs to revisit summer because it sucks the life out of the game

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd like it if they redesigned half the events to not be a "gently caress you, you die" if you haven't spent the entire game preparing for them. Frog rain is still the biggest bullshit.

Hell, call it casual babby mode for all i care.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

dogstile posted:

I'd like it if they redesigned half the events to not be a "gently caress you, you die" if you haven't spent the entire game preparing for them. Frog rain is still the biggest bullshit.

I agree with this, especially in multiplayer. Not only does multiplayer make things harder in some ways, but this game is attractive to semi-casual players and then it just brutalizes them. I have to work super hard to account for the less skillful gamers. It's kind of unfortunate.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's just a really unbalanced game. The fun part is the early game where you're building a camp and exploring the map, after that the game starts showing bullshit at you which you can defend yourself against by preparing a lot, but doing that preparation isn't really fun. The giants shouldn't just show up at your camp unprovoked given how powerful they are, they should be something you can seek out as a challenge rather than just having them dropped on you at random and ruining things.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

You can turn all that off though? I mean that's the whole point of setting up custom world parameters. Or does DST not have that option? I've only played the single player version of Don't Starve.

I mean yeah frog rain is total bullshit that essentially ruins the area until you decide to go on a mass frog extermination rampage (which is always a pain because gently caress frogs), but still, kind of weird to complain about stuff you can disable.

Shibawanko posted:

It's just a really unbalanced game. The fun part is the early game where you're building a camp and exploring the map, after that the game starts showing bullshit at you which you can defend yourself against by preparing a lot, but doing that preparation isn't really fun. The giants shouldn't just show up at your camp unprovoked given how powerful they are, they should be something you can seek out as a challenge rather than just having them dropped on you at random and ruining things.

I agree about the giants - they're the kind of thing that is interesting to have in the game but the implementation makes them annoying random bullshit rather than an interesting optional challenge. It's weird because they already got it right with caves - all the nasty stuff is in the deepest levels so you have to intentionally seek it out to encounter it.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 9, 2016

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sure I can disable all those events, but then it turns into "food gathering simulator" with nothing to do.

What I would like is if you could make the events still happen, but without completely loving you if you've not had the foresight to prepare for it for a few days.

I use frog rain as an example because its an event that is completely fine if you're ok with having multiple small camps with nothing of value in them, but completely cripples big camps. If I could make it so frog rain dumped 10-15 frogs down on your area, that makes it manageable, without making it something i'm just going to turn off.

This is also why I said it should be under "casual babby mode", because this isn't what the hardcore players want and making that change to the base game would be ridiculous.

That makes sense right?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Unlocked some of the characters, the Firestarter seems a little game breaking in that the lighter prevents you from dying at night. I was able to just run around and gather during the late hours and saved all my mining and chopping for day time. Finally hit my first winter though!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only part of the game I feel is really, brutally unfair is the dry season in Shipwrecked. Cause it doesn't matter how well you are doing; you can't really be prepared for the bullshit it can throw at you. A single rock falling into the wrong place can ruin tons of your gear, so you have to stay away from your base during eruptions. But there's the danger of overheating, so you have to have nitre campfires prepared ahead of time. Oh but maybe right when you're going to hope on your boat to sail to one, a rock will fall on top of it right before you can reach it. Then your boat sinks, along with everything in it, and you're just hosed.

You do all that work to survive the first Sealnado, then not get washed away in the wet season, and then a single bad rock can ruin so much of the stuff you've worked towards.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I tried to do RoG adventure mode with wigfrid, got a nice first chapter in a cold reception, achieved stability and prebuilt most of the important buildings. then i got king of winter next, built a base of course and collected the things to get to the next chapter, turns out there were 4 or so walrus camps between me and the wooden thing whose hunting teams all came out of nowhere from all sides and almost immediately killed me with blowdarts. Game's bullshit sometimes.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Internet Kraken posted:

The only part of the game I feel is really, brutally unfair is the dry season in Shipwrecked. Cause it doesn't matter how well you are doing; you can't really be prepared for the bullshit it can throw at you. A single rock falling into the wrong place can ruin tons of your gear, so you have to stay away from your base during eruptions. But there's the danger of overheating, so you have to have nitre campfires prepared ahead of time. Oh but maybe right when you're going to hope on your boat to sail to one, a rock will fall on top of it right before you can reach it. Then your boat sinks, along with everything in it, and you're just hosed.

You do all that work to survive the first Sealnado, then not get washed away in the wet season, and then a single bad rock can ruin so much of the stuff you've worked towards.

The worst thing is that the rocks are pretty much instant death if they hit you. Instant death in a game with permadeath.
Yeah I don't like dry season either is what i'm getting at here :smithicide:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Playing DST with my little brother. He apparently never saw red hounds before so he didn't see a problem with running through all my chests when fighting them, causing everything I'd spent the last year gathering to go up in flames. Then it spread to the rest of the base and everything else burnt away too.

The really insulting part is that I could of put out the chests manually, but the game wouldn't let me complete the animation for it because a bunch of stupid frogs kept attacking me.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Days Lived - 0 - Cause of Death: Darkness
Days Lived - 1 - Cause of Death: Killer Bee
Days Lived - 2 - Cause of Death: Batilisk
Days Lived - 5 - Cause of Death: Spider

:smith:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hey, I wanted to get back at this game. Is Shipwrecked worth buying? yes, I know it's like 5 bucks but currency rates.

how's the new gameplay elements? are they ever gonna add achievements

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Shipwrecked is totally worth buying.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Hey, I wanted to get back at this game. Is Shipwrecked worth buying? yes, I know it's like 5 bucks but currency rates.

how's the new gameplay elements? are they ever gonna add achievements

Shipwrecked is pretty cool, I only just got it and am still learning but it's a lot of fun.

As for achievements, they had to basically be forced into it for the PS4 version so I doubt you'll get them on steam.
They actually added an extra structure that uses a bunch of valuable resources and does absolutely gently caress all except give you a couple of trophies. :lol:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nerobro posted:

Shipwrecked is totally worth buying.

By itself it's OK. Not a lot of content, since it doesn't have caves or giants, or most of the stuff in the main game. However, that's not a huge issue since the game lets you travel between the islands and the regular continent. Which is actually pretty nice, since you can just skip the seasons you don't like by traveling to the other locale.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Shipwrecked has 3 giant equivalents, but only one of them actually attacks seasonally. Its a big enough bastard that you'll be thankful its the only one.

I think its really fun and unique. The island hopping is cool and the tropical setting is a nice change of pace from your standard wilderness. Just know that its WAY more cruel than the base game, at least when it comes to stuff that will catch you completely off guard if you haven't looked up spoilers.

Spalec posted:

As for achievements, they had to basically be forced into it for the PS4 version so I doubt you'll get them on steam.
They actually added an extra structure that uses a bunch of valuable resources and does absolutely gently caress all except give you a couple of trophies. :lol:

You get a trophy for building it and then another one if you stand next to it and activate it 725 individual times :f5:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 3, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is there multiplayer for shipwrecked?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

nope

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah multi on don't starve is weird since it is a totally separate fork and not just a tweaked base game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Honestly the single player game is hard to get into once you've experienced multiplayer. Group survival is so much more fun than playing by yourself.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Honestly the single player game is hard to get into once you've experienced multiplayer. Group survival is so much more fun than playing by yourself.

i kinda found the opposite, honestly. group survival is fun and all, but when the only objective is survive, it gets old really fast. people generally figure out how to handle things fairly quickly, and you find yourself falling into some pretty dull ruts after that.

the main adventure has interesting challenges presented from level to level, and it has a real endpoint. co-op Adventure would definitely get me to play this game again, especially if there were more levels one could potentially draw to make the journey different each time.

as it stands i see no reason whatsoever to ever come back to DST, even if they added caves and shipwrecked; i know deep down that i'd probably run like 3 games, figure out the general way to handle the new environments, then get bored and never use it again.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

i kinda found the opposite, honestly. group survival is fun and all, but when the only objective is survive, it gets old really fast. people generally figure out how to handle things fairly quickly, and you find yourself falling into some pretty dull ruts after that.

the main adventure has interesting challenges presented from level to level, and it has a real endpoint. co-op Adventure would definitely get me to play this game again, especially if there were more levels one could potentially draw to make the journey different each time.

as it stands i see no reason whatsoever to ever come back to DST, even if they added caves and shipwrecked; i know deep down that i'd probably run like 3 games, figure out the general way to handle the new environments, then get bored and never use it again.

I actually never played single player adventure. I've always played open maps.

Caves are a real game changer because they're actually challenging and contain all the cool end-game poo poo. It's pretty drat fun to venture deeper and deeper into the cave system as a group and establish small camps along the way. They're also great for hermit-style gameplay, where you join a server but end up deciding to hang out by yourself, occasionally raiding the main base and pilfering stuff when no one is there, then watching the accusations fly. :P

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there anyway to make a pen for animals like volt goats that allows you to access it but keeps them from running out of it?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just make a door out of hay. Cheap as hell to put up/put down.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Shipwrecked is new to me. I can't wait to play it when it's finally merged into Don't Starve Together.

Has Adventure mode been put into Multiplayer yet?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no it has not

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Met posted:

Shipwrecked is new to me. I can't wait to play it when it's finally merged into Don't Starve Together.

Has Adventure mode been put into Multiplayer yet?

Klei said they have no plans to merge Shipwrecked into DST, just so you know.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, I guess that would add replayability and bring in new people. Can't have that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Mmm, I love games where there's no rocks anywhere.

Also what's the easiest way to grind food? There's traps but I'm afraid of the naughty item thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I usually just set up a bird cage near a spider nest or something similar. Throw cooked monster meat at the bird for eggs, and when the eggs start to go bad you can cook them and feed them back to the bird for fresh eggs, so you can slowly build up a huge supply. Somewhere with buzzards is also fairly convenient for farming meat.

Also the item thief isn't a major problem unless you're killing things at a truly industrial rate. A few traps scattered about is usually more than enough to keep yourself fed without angering it.

• Locked thread