Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you #JoinTheForce?
I already have
I want to I just don't know how
Only if they sign Sid
#JoinTheForce
View Results

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have there been any actual results from that show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

neonbregna posted:

Like you don't know double J went over everyone.

Any time somebody starts up a wrestling company, I'm ALWAYS curious to see what the roster looks like, regardless of whatever poor booking may ensue.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I have a feeling this is more along the lines of that promotion in Flordia the Wilpon family was gonna start before they ran out of money and had to sell the Mets.

In so much as JJ doesn't have the juice to get this up and going, but is delusional enough to THINK he does.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Didn't AJ refuse to go to developmental?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Great White Hope posted:

I think the story he told was that his wife had to teach in Georgia, so he wasn't willing to live in Ohio while also making way less money than he could make otherwise.

Which makes sense, but it makes the whole "WWE wasn't interested" thing horseshit. They were interested, just on their terms. I can't imagine there are many Indy guys WWE would break the bank for.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Yeah, and there is nothing in my opinion that dissuades me from my point. But if "KATSUYORI SHIBATA AND SHINSUKE NAKAMURA ARE HAVING THEMSELVES A SLOBBERKNOCKER. LOOK AT MISSUS NAKAMURA'S BABY BOY GO!" is what you want, sure thing bro.

Just a guess, but I suspect Jim's gonna dial back the cutesy country sayings since I'm pretty sure he was told to play that crap up by Vince.

Also, JR at his most hackneyed is still better than Tenay. Tenay is fine as a 3rd guy educating unfamiliar fans, and nothing more. He got the TNA job because he was available.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Might make an effort to buy this PPV. I do sort of appreciate JJ making NJPW more accessible.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Yeah, the main blurriness game from the gradual turn of Nakamura and Okada's stable CHAOS. Over a two year period they gradually turned from heel to tweener and then essentially face when the last two heel members defected to the heel groups (Yujiro to Bullet Club and Iizuka to Suzuki-gun).

Now it's pretty cut and dry. Bullet Club, Suzuki-gun, and the NWA are heels and and you're supposed to like basically everyone else. One difference though between NJPW and WWE is that New Japan has no issues booking face vs. face and heel vs. heel matches. This results in stuff like Tanahashi occasionally working subtle heel against other ultra popular guys like Okada and Nakamura but he's still a super face.

And perhaps more importantly, the matches don't suffer from that dynamic. WWE matches where it's heel vs heel or face vs face have a tendency to be unremarkable.

Yet Minoru Suzuki vs AJ Styles was heel vs heel (although maybe not from the perspective of a Japanese fan). And it might well be MOTY.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spermgod posted:

in fairness the probably consensus WWE MOTY was heels vs heels

I'd almost forgotten about the Wyatt Family vs the Shield. That is an exception to the rule, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

please please please this

E: and make it Heel Don West from that like 2-3 month period where he just kept making GBS threads on TNA

For me the best part of that turn was him just loving ripping into Tenay during the turn itself. Glorious.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

I wouldn't mind Don West on colour. JR can be the one who knows who the people are and explains things, Don can be the one who just freaks the gently caress out about how incredible everything is.

Plus he could make Yottsume a lot of money shilling for his site

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember reading a report from WON or PWT that said that West had read a large chunk of negative feedback TNA was getting for their PPV's, and determined that some of them HAD to be plants. Now, if Russo said this, I'd chalk it up to ego.

But with West, I feel like it was genuine, childlike enthusiasm for the product. The guy quite frankly deserves better than TNA.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Which was from a brilliant match between him and Samoa Joe, with Mick Foley cheering Kikutasu Jack on.

The best part is that, as Joe is roughing him up, he can't help but crack and laugh a few times. Tremendous.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

masato tatanka posted:

people bought an MMA PPV with 0.25 names on it because JR & Chael Sonnen did play-by-play for it, don't know how many buys it got but there was certainly interest generated on that alone.

MMA has a greater existing cache with PPV buyers than wrestling does right now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean, the guys listed are mostly pretty good, although the Dudleys are kinda done. So at least Jeff isn't calling on Dusty Rhodes to do anything important (although that'd be kind hard, he's under WWE contract).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If Jarrett just uses Bischoff as an on screen authority guy and has him help with TV connections, it'll be fine.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Special Guest? Who'd he ever beat?!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Given Jeff and his father's history in Memphis, I'm a bit surprised he hasn't tried to just start back with Memphis wrestling. If he got the same talent list and a few special guests, plus some vets who could stand to stick around, he 'd have a better chance of succeeding (regionally, anyways) than he does with them. Especially true if he had Lawler's help somehow, although that would be unlikely unless WWE pissed Jerry off again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Was Hulk Hogan's Australian promotion WCW 3.5 or so?

That was a short term tour so I'm gonna say no, unless he thought it'd work out long term

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Moose is an idiot

For trying to get as much money and experience as possible? Yeah, what a moron.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

lol if you think he's getting paid 1) much and 2) on time in GFW

Not much different from any other indy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

how you gonna have a press conference and NOT announce the young bucks? Then go round and dump them in a 30 second YT vid like a couple of jabrones.

I'd assume the people in the ads are closer to full-timers whereas the people who aren't will probably make sporadic appearances (especially given the Bucks allergy to contracts), but that may be giving JJ too much credit

It's also possible they just hadn't agreed to a deal yet

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

What about the Harris brothers, brother?

Hopefully they never come close to this company or any others

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 13, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Uh TNA just hired them as producers.

Well, gently caress.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Not producers as in road agents. They're the head of production.

Doesn't matter. Those two are loving scum.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BGrifter posted:

They can't possibly be dumb enough to try and have Scott Hall wrestle for them in the shape he's in...

...can they? :ohdear:

Way more likely he'll manage Cody

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

it's pretty easy to stay sober in rehab

the yoga and surgery helped with their constant physical pain though

It also probably helped him lose weight, which is good for self-esteem, something that a lot of alcoholics genuinely struggle with

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How have the matches been in general?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

After Kimbo beats him tonight he'll be available

Well, step 1 is complete....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That attendance is pretty bad. To give you an idea of how bad, the city I live in has a summer league team that has NCAA players trying to sharpen their skills in baseball (the Northwoods League for those of you living in the midwest). They normally draw okay-ish, but yesterday it was wet and cold out, I went anyways because I try to catch a few games every year, and I'd say it sitll had roughly the same amount of people despite the weather. And that's despite the fact the team is 11-13 currently, and they were playing the worst team in the league. Not a good sign for Jeff, unless they're paying him a LOT.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 21, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Magnus has in fact joined the force, and in fact does not like TNA very much.

This makes how much attitude he gave people on Twitter about the state of TNA that much funnier.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

CZW will produce more PPVs in 2015 than GFW

Probably better shows, too. Certainly better attended. For all the poo poo CZW catches, they've outlived WCW, ECW, will likely outlive TNA, and they occasionally put on genuinely good shows. And their in-house wrestling school trained Adam Cole (bay bay).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That 10 man tag is up on Highspots' Roku channel, and Jeff didn't seem wasted to me, it just felt like he wanted to get heat while doing very little, which is probably pretty sensible given his age. I'd say it worked,too, and I'm pretty sure Tommy and Joey were just playing off of the room being full of smarky types.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm still sad Monty Brown never got big in TNA or WWE

OTOH, his reason for leaving made me respect the hell out of him. It takes a big man to step in as a parent for your dead sibling's children.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How much money has JJ lost on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

lolnope

WrestleCade Weekend, Showcase of Champions was tonight with a lot of indy belts defended including this one.

Pentagon Jr had a good match on the card apparently

Yeah he wrestled Jason Kincaid! I imagine that they'd match up well.

• Locked thread