Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
So I got this upright cabinet style smoker from my father-in-law, it's been sitting outside for about 7 years. I guess its not in the worst condition but I wanted to get rid of all the rust before I started using it.

The inside of the door wasn't too bad, but down towards the bottom it was starting to rust so I took a wire cup brush and a drill and went to work on it.

The inside of the cabinet looked pretty bad I guess, lots of rust on the bottom, and the shelf things were rusting in some places:

After an hour or two I got it to this:

After I get the cabinet finished I have to move on to the firebox, which is in much worse shape:

Now my questions:

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, should I just keep going down this road? I'm having a little bit of trouble with the corners of the cabinet, does anyone have any tips for getting that? What about when I'm done, should I just use vegetable oil to season the inside? Another question! How the hell do I use this thing? Do I fill that bowl with water, light some coals in the firebox, and throw woodchips on them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first time doing anything of this nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Personally I would have laid it down, filled with natural charcoal and heat the living daylights out of it. Rust will always come back.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
If you go all the way with de-rusting it and want to season it immediately, I've found that the walmart brand of spray-on vegetable oil (it's soybean oil at the moment) works wonderfully for getting nice even light coats without any real effort. Sesame oil(go to an asian market and buy it cheap) works great as a seasoner as well.

In terms of de-rusting, for something that big I probably would have gone the reverse-electroysis route in a cheap garbage pail since it's all just mild steel. Try just heating the everloving poo poo out of it first though, no briquettes and especially no self-starting briquettes. The former tends to have petroleum-based binders and make your food smell/taste like hot asphalt, the latter is guaranteed to have them and ruin your food.

e: There's always rust converter as well, I had great luck with the Rustoleum brand of paint-on liquid when I refinished a tool chest I found sitting out on the side of the road. No idea how the tannic oxide and tannic phosphates it forms will stand up to heat though, they might just break down and burn off the tannins and phosphates.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 25, 2014

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
My smoker started as a painted food grade barrel. I started a wood fire hot enough to make the bottom glow, let it cool and sanded it down, then burned again. This second burn applied enough smoke and soot to coat the sides, mix in some oil and it has never rusted. The fire box has a little rust but not enough to be concerning. In short, heat it up until its covered in soot and season it. Then don't forget to use it often.

Also, avoid using paint on the inside, even if it is for high heat.

• Locked thread