Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Croccers posted:

Is it confirmed if we get to eat dog food and other foodstuffs from the floor in this?

25:49 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvIQyP0V-a0

And I'm sure those are just the recommended specs for 1080p/maximum everything since this still has to run on the 360/PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I saw on their twitter that it's for a "60 FPS next generation experience." I assume the i7 is a recommendation on that front.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Croccers posted:

Is it confirmed if we get to eat dog food and other foodstuffs from the floor in this?

In one of the videos you can see that BJ gains health from a bowl of dog food. So yeah, confirmed!

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Do the Nazis deliberately throw themselves off gantries so they can die screaming as they plummet like in Wolf 2009? This is important

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prenton posted:

Do the Nazis deliberately throw themselves off gantries so they can die screaming as they plummet like in Wolf 2009? This is important

I really wish they could release that bit of technology, like speedtree, for use in other games.

All games should have suicidal gantry nazis.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, I watched like a 50 minute walkthrough. Game looks really drat good. I'm hype.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Am I crazy for thinking the gameplay videos are just kind of boring? I like the aesthetic, but the gameplay shown in the twitch stream is the most banal, by-the-numbers cinematic corridor-shooter possible. It looks exactly like Homefront, Syndicate, Ghosts - every bad FPS in recent memory. All the symptoms are here, you have SNEAK UP AND PRESS X TO PERFORM A TAKEDOWN, five minute long cutscenes that you may or may not be able to move around a little bit during, QTEs in spades, uninteresting puppy-killing bad guys, all the works.

How is this supposed to worth sixty dollars?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
What I played of it in September gave me the exact same impression. The fact that they're talking up multiple paths through the levels though makes me interested. If it really is like Wolfenstein 2009 with lots of side stuff to do it will probably be pretty fun.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

MrBims posted:

Am I crazy for thinking the gameplay videos are just kind of boring? I like the aesthetic, but the gameplay shown in the twitch stream is the most banal, by-the-numbers cinematic corridor-shooter possible. It looks exactly like Homefront, Syndicate, Ghosts - every bad FPS in recent memory. All the symptoms are here, you have SNEAK UP AND PRESS X TO PERFORM A TAKEDOWN, five minute long cutscenes that you may or may not be able to move around a little bit during, QTEs in spades, uninteresting puppy-killing bad guys, all the works.

I think it looks very slick and better than the likes of Homefront, but I do agree in terms of bang for your buck. I love Wolfenstein but I can't see myself getting this until the price drops heavily.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

MrBims posted:

I have played... none of the games you mentioned above. However, I did play Bioshock: Infinite and that, to me, was a bad FPS. And I think that was literally the last FPS I've played since last year. So to me, this game looks fantastic so far because it actually has some kind of variation in enemy design and AI capabilities.

I don't know. It looked more like this game played like Metro to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Blander Metro is what the demo level I played was like, it was just a corridor though with nothing really interesting going on.

I want to get behind this though because every previous Wolfenstein game has been legit awesome. But this one kind of came out of nowhere and earlier interviews/articles about it made it sound kind of unfocused. But now it seems more solidly like Wolfenstein 2009 so I want to give it a chance.

If it means anything, it was running at 60FPS on 360/PS3 demo units (I could see the actual units so it's not like it was in a box hooked to a PC like how Ubisoft does it at these things). So it should at least be really nice looking on the PS4.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Just curious, what level did you play?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Crabtree posted:

An old man gives you a simple job, KILL EVERY NAZI. Do you A: Jitterbug with Grenades or B: Slow dance slit every Nazi's throat?

EDIT:

A little weird, but it does sound like what would happen if either soldiers were singing this on the move or if some tone deaf Reichstag dreamed up Rock N Roll.

For anyone that hasn't checked yet, each update unlocks another track on Neumond Recordings Wolfenstein page.

I particularly like the heavy beat of Han's Mein Kleiner, but that might just be me enjoying anything you can go loud to.

Oh my loving God I am so hype for this game! :flashfap:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For more alt-history Nazi world domination, who here played Turning Point: Fall of Liberty from a few years ago? :downs:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Neo Rasa posted:

But now it seems more solidly like Wolfenstein 2009 so I want to give it a chance.

I thought that one was a bit of a disaster?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

It didn't do all that well financially I think, and was a bit of a critical 'ehhhhh' for some reason, but I really don't understand why.

It's a slightly old fashioned game but in a good way. It's very raven software, a drat solid shooter with good guns, neat levels, a cool gimmick, and a bunch of collectables and secrets to find.

Raven almost always have things like secret areas and favor the old fashioned level based shooter, and they do it really well. It feels like a game from say, the late 90's/early 00's but with a bunch of improvements from modern FPS design stuck on where it helps, and a nice graphical upgrade.

I have no idea why it wasn't a success beyond maybe getting lost in the crowd and not being a straight port of RTCW. Their Quake 4 game also kinda flopped and I don't get that either, that's another game that really bridges the gap between modern squad shooter and oldschool one man badass FPS game. All Raven's games have something like that in them that I like and appreciate so maybe it's just me.

If you're interested, Your Evil Twin on the forums did a fine LP of it which is on the archive, and it pretty much completely showcases why it's loving awesome. It has montages of disintegrating nazis set to the war of the worlds musical album.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 2, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I'll check out that LP and go from there, thanks :toot:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, I never played Wolfenstein 2009, but what I saw of it looked pretty damned good. Shame it didn't sell much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Contra Calculus posted:

Yeah, I never played Wolfenstein 2009, but what I saw of it looked pretty damned good. Shame it didn't sell much.

I was about to recommend you buy it on steam if it goes on sale but for some reason it appears to have been removed, which is very strange. I got my copy from there.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Funny story, I just looked there since I was interested in playing it myself and saw it was gone.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Contra Calculus posted:

Wolf09 was pretty great, the opening level in the the train station was really memorable with the Veil energy going all crazy and shifting the gravity all over the place.

I loved how diverse the levels were; there was a secret lab, a bunker, a church, a zeppelin, a hospital, all kinds of places.
My favorite level was The Farm - it starts out all innocuous with you killing Nazis on a farm, and then you stumble across an elevator that leads to a completely ridiculously huge underground base. Like it's totally insane and I laughed out loud when it happened.
My second favorite level is the Officer's House, because right at the entrance is a fire axe - it's entirely possible to kill every single motherfucking Nazi in the entire goddamn level using only the fire axe (and Veil powers) like some kind of super powered axe murderer. In fact, I'd argue that's the only correct way to play that level. :colbert:

Raven Software's Singularity is great, too. I replayed it last week and it's still a fun ride - it's pretty much "Wolfenstein: 1950s Soviet Russia Edition".

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 2, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Xenomrph posted:

For more alt-history Nazi world domination, who here played Turning Point: Fall of Liberty from a few years ago? :downs:

6 years ago. And holy hell was it bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wasn't that made by the same folks who did Legendary? They both felt like they were in the same awful engine. And they both had tons of similar glitches where enemies would just float around through you not doing anything and you could just casually walk out of the map whenever. Hour of Victory from Midway is similarly embarrassing.

Capn Beeb posted:

NO. It is in fact great.
1) Hub city you go to between missions where you explore for hidden Nazi gold, slaughter Nazis
2) Tons of secrets
3) ULTRA Violence
4) Canned death animations (arguably a minus but this is Raven, see #3)
5) Good enemy variety
6) The enemies are Nazis man, I hate Nazis

Contra Calculus posted:

Just curious, what level did you play?

Honestly they didn't say, but it basically felt like a later Quake game. Metal sci-fi corridors and not much else going on. Looking back I'm surprised they even showed it off given how much more ambitious the final game is turning out to be in comparison. The weapons really did feel a bit weak though.

Anyways the reason Wolfenstein 2009 flew under the radar is because Activision just wanted it gone. In a dick move Activision laid off the entire team that was to do a greatly expanded multiplayer component for the game on the game's release day despite promising rad multiplayer two or three days earlier. When the publisher dropped all hype for the game it and its lackluster vanilla multiplayer was quickly forgotten.

The game was taken off Steam because because Bethesda got the Wolfenstein name and will likely re-release it soon. Various iD/Raven games have gotten similar treatment over the years like Quake IV and the Doom 3 BFG Edition.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 2, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

NO. It is in fact great.
1) Hub city you go to between missions where you explore for hidden Nazi gold, slaughter Nazis
2) Tons of secrets
3) ULTRA Violence
4) Canned death animations (arguably a minus but this is Raven, see #3)
5) Good enemy variety
6) The enemies are Nazis man, I hate Nazis

Yeah I watched some of that LP, and then this post:

Xenomrph posted:

My second favorite level is the Officer's House, because right at the entrance is a fire axe - it's entirely possible to kill every single motherfucking Nazi in the entire goddamn level using only the fire axe (and Veil powers) like some kind of super powered axe murderer.

Kinda sold me. I love axes almost as much as I love shotguns. :q:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It is, and it's extra unfortunate because if you look into any of the making-of stuff for the game, you can tell the project really was a labor of love for the development team and they just lacked the technical know-how to make a good game. :sigh:
Like they mapped out an alt-history timeline leading to the events of the game (none of which gets really conveyed in the game's plot, really), all of the Nazi guns are actual prototype weapons the Nazis were working on near the close of the war, and even the Nazi uniforms are based on actual proposed uniform designs that the Nazis wanted to roll out had the war continued into 1946 and beyond. They really did their homework.

They just forgot to, you know, make a playable game.

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah I watched some of that LP, and then this post:

Kinda sold me. I love axes almost as much as I love shotguns. :q:
It's seriously completely awesome. Run into a room with 6 Nazis, freeze time, hack them up one by one, let the bodies hit the floor. :black101: It is seriously goddamn satisfying to clear that level out with just the axe.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

The weapons really did feel a bit weak though.

All the more to dual wield everything to turn Nazi bases into rivers of Nazi blood and gristle. :smug:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

OwlFancier posted:

I was about to recommend you buy it on steam if it goes on sale but for some reason it appears to have been removed, which is very strange. I got my copy from there.

Activision, basically. They have a habit of acquiring a license, selling it for a bit, then just letting it lapse. See also: Voyager Elite Force, Marvel games.
gently caress Activision.

I was trawling the Wolfenstein Twitter account (ugggggghhhh I hate Twitter) and I came across "The Ultimate Wolfenstein Quiz." I got 15/20...I've failed you all :negative:

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Was Wolfenstein (2009) ever released on Steam?

Edit:
Oh. Activision did it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Humerus posted:

Activision, basically. They have a habit of acquiring a license, selling it for a bit, then just letting it lapse. See also: Voyager Elite Force, Marvel games.
gently caress Activision.

I was trawling the Wolfenstein Twitter account (ugggggghhhh I hate Twitter) and I came across "The Ultimate Wolfenstein Quiz." I got 15/20...I've failed you all :negative:

I was thinking 'there's an activision sale on right now, I think wolf09 was activision' which was why I was looking for it, but I didn't know they'd sold the license so that would explain it.

Activision are weird with their back catalogue because they have some really good games in it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Justin Godscock posted:

The $100 special edition with no copy of the game almost seems to be like a trial balloon to see if the kinds of people that always buy the special editions of games (no matter how dumb the trinkets or how expensive it is) will buy it and the $60 game separately. Probably

They really should be clearer with this but their concept for it isn't terrible (insofar that you don't consider physical special editions terrible, which they are).

This lets you buy whichever regular edition of the game you want, however you want. So if you really really want to get the Steam edition of the game (or a digital copy of a console version) and play it at midnight on release day you're not forced into waiting for the slower shipment of the physical goods.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's also surely a lot cheaper for them to have than doing two or three SKUs per platform per country. There are probably a bunch of minor regional differences they already have to handle for signage/swastikas in different countries and stuff.

I too got 15/20 on that Wolfenstein quiz. Good enough to get a driver's license in most states, but not good enough for WOLFENSTEIN.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 2, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

17/20. :smug:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I don't know if anyone cares about Twitch/streaming in general but this guy that streams a lot of older FPS games is doing a playthrough of all the Wolfenstein games in the lead up to New Order. He did Wolf3D earlier and it looks like he might be doing Spear of Destiny soon? Or something, I don't really get Twitch.

http://www.twitch.tv/doomed_spacemarine

Edit: In an amazing turn of events, the Wolfenstein games actually on Steam are on sale today-$2.49 for Return by itself, $1.24 for Wolf3D (Spear of Destiny is not on sale, weirdly, so it's $5). Or $3.74 for all three.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 3, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wolfenstein 2009 was fun as hell and anyone who even remotely likes first person shooters should play it. Pro Tip: don't waste your upgrades on stealth poo poo as it's completely useless. Instead make sure to get Big Bore for the Kar98. That rifle turns into a goddamn cannon that tears people apart.

Also grab as many melee weapons as you can because going on a rampage with a fire ax and claiming Nazi arms and heads for your own is hilarious.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does RtCW work well on Windows 7 or do you need to do some trickery to get it going?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does RtCW work well on Windows 7 or do you need to do some trickery to get it going?

From what I remember it runs fine out of the box at the lower resolutions, but you'll probably want this:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2979733

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I am on windows 8 and I had to add +set r_primitives 2 to my launch options because other wise, the game would have some crucial frame rate dips at odd moments.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

girth brooks part 2 posted:

From what I remember it runs fine out of the box at the lower resolutions, but you'll probably want this:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2979733

I just reinstalled RTCW today and used this and it's been playing fine and dandy.

Those Elite Guards in the church are walking death machines.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

I just reinstalled RTCW today and used this and it's been playing fine and dandy.

Those Elite Guards in the church are walking death machines.

Nothing the Sten can't fix. :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
BJ looks like an inflated Anderson Cooper.

Also this game looks awesome but after the state Rage shipped in I'm waiting until release before I consider it. Really hope the rumours of a non-swastika UK version are false as well.

• Locked thread