Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Kibayasu posted:

Just because BJ breaks into war-weary monologues at the drop of a hat doesn't mean that MachineGames is going to make every single main character like that. Plus I'm not sure I know many "mopey" people that can kill a few thousand Nazi's and keep trucking :v:

Plus BJ has had like 10 serious concussions, you would be mopey too if you got knocked out that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I was watching Inglourious Basterds when I got a hankering for my own Nazi murder so I suspended Netflix and loaded up challenge mode real quick. After a couple of levels I went back to my movie. I'm now convinced that this was the purpose of this feature.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 30, 2015

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Dangerous Person posted:

I was watching Inglourious Basterds when I got a hankering for my own Nazi murder so I suspended Netflix and loaded up challenge mode real quick. After a couple of levels I went back to my movie. I'm now convinced that this was the purpose of this feature.

Hugo Stiglitz breaking out of a stalag. Stealth kills involving garrotte wire, pillows + knives to the face, and...a fist. Give me the Bear Jew's ridiculously loud pump action shotgun while we're at it. :getin:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Just got this today. Why is the audio playing 10 seconds out of sync and how the hell do I fix it?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If your graphics settings are too high for your computer, the cutscenes play at a different speed to their sound and gradually desynchronsie more and more. Try turning them down.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Goddamn Old Blood was a lot of fun. I wish Bethesda announced New Order 2 at E3 so bad right now.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Old Blood was pretty awesome, definitely worth the :10bux:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For all of you who played and enjoyed Singularity, it's looking like we're getting a sequel. :toot:

For everyone who hasn't played Singularity yet, you should do something about that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xenomrph posted:

For all of you who played and enjoyed Singularity, it's looking like we're getting a sequel. :toot:

For everyone who hasn't played Singularity yet, you should do something about that.

Are you serious? Where did you get this?

Singularity is so good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What is Singularity and how is it Wolfenstein related?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SirSamVimes posted:

Raven Software made it and Wolf '09. It's an FPS with a time travel mechanic.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Night10194 posted:

Are you serious? Where did you get this?

Singularity is so good.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1949863/singularity-sequel-from-raven-software-teased/

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3337345/singularity-sequel-teased-raven-software/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/23/raven-software-teases-more-singularity

SirSamVimes posted:

Singularity is the first person shooter that Raven Software did after they made Wolfenstein 09. It's pretty much Wolfenstein: 1950s Soviet Russia Edition and it's fun as heck.

Here's a cool trailer for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj3gPlhoNFU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I was super excited when Raven made that tweet.. lots of people excited that they were about to announce a Singularity sequel or a remake...

But after a few minutes of investigating I realised they were just hinting at what their next stream was going to be on their twitch channel.

Raven were doing a "25 years of Raven" anniversary thing, and streaming playing through various old games of theirs. They did the Singularity one a few days after the "We're going back #Katorga12" tweet. The tweet got retweeted by various people, without the context of their previous tweets about their other games, and so it generated a lot of unwarranted excitement, enough for some game press to post about it.

Interestingly, Raven didn't make another tweet correcting the misunderstanding. My hope is that they used the accidental excitement to say to Activision "Wow, the internet's going wild at the possibility of a Singularity 2 or a Singularity Next-Gen Remake... how about you let us actually make it, rather than just COD map packs?"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well if they do a sequel to one of their old games, I really hope it's Soldier of Fortune.

Never even heard of Singularity (or maybe I did but instantly forgot it), but it does look pretty cool.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I bought both OB and NO during the Steam sale and in preparation, I've decided to replay the other Wolfenstein games in that continuity, starting with Return. Now, RTCW holds a special place in my heart since it was the first FPS I actually played in full, on my own computer. Replaying it has made me realize three things:
1) Modern shooters have made me weak
2) I miss the ability to quicksave anywhere, long live savescumming
3) Actually though I wouldn't mind autosaves as well tho

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mordja posted:

2) I miss the ability to quicksave anywhere, long live savescumming

What I miss is games so drat hard that you HAVE to use quicksaves to beat it. Moving to console-based save design forced FPSes to be a lot easier.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

RE: Singularity sequel thing. Yeah, those news articles are from an event they did months ago where they played the multiplayer of their old games and talked about them. There's no way Singularity will get a sequel, especially since Activision owns the franchise.

As for Raven, they'll be stuck forever providing support for the COD franchise until Activision fires the remaining employees and shuts them down.

GUI fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 18, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

What I miss is games so drat hard that you HAVE to use quicksaves to beat it. Moving to console-based save design forced FPSes to be a lot easier.

When I played Serious Sam on the higher difficulties I basically had to turn quicksaving into an instinct. The fights go on for so long that I had to start quick saving, multiple times, in the middle of battles, whenever there was a moment where I knew I wasn't going to get attacked for a couple of seconds, to make it through them. Otherwise I'd probably die and have to do the whole 5 minute affair again. Granted I'm not the best Serious Sam player but that poo poo gets real crazy, real fast.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, mashing the reload button or replaying huge sections was so much more fun than actually getting through more than a room in one night. And who can forget the fun of forgetting to save after a long section of nothing happening before a bullshit inst-death ambush?

Delightful!

I'm in favor of quicksaves more or less universally, and don't mind a challenge, but there's a big gap between challenge and bullshit, and anything that requires (rather than benefits from) quicksaves tends to be deep in category 2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Trip report!

OK despite what I said earlier, this was the first time actually beating RTCW. I think I quit somewhere around the X-Labs when I was a kid. All in all, a lot of fun and a solid representation of shooters from that era. For one thing, I'd forgotten just how little actual narrative there is. The entire storyline is told in between mission cutscenes and loading screens. It's funny distorted memories can be. For example, in my mind, Helga had a much larger role in the story, rather than showing up once to get et. Then there's also the topic of weapon balance; there's a ton of guns but a lot of redundancy too. The Sten is basically a straight upgrade to the MP40, overheating aside, the Thompson finds so little ammo that it's not viable and the FG 42 is an all-aspect murder machine. Tesla seemed trash, flamethrower could leave a whole squad on fire with a couple of bursts and the Venom Gun is still probably my favourite videogame minigun. Lastly, and one thing I don't miss, is the enemies' insane reaction times. This, combined with the ubiquity of rapid fire, near hitscan weapons led to a lot of cheese and a lot of F9s.

Anyway, I've started on Wolfenstein 2009 and I'm not really feeling it yet. Coming off its prequel, it's just so slow. It seriously feels as though you're moving through pudding. The beginning section also showcases just how tutorialized games have become, comparatively. In the last one you're thrown into a castle and it's assumed you know how to shoot/stab Nazis, in this you're literally led around by Herr Explainymann. I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I recall that it gets better as you upgrade your guns and powers but while I blazed through RTCW in a few days, I have a feeling this one will take a while. Which is a shame because I really want to get to the TOB/TNO, which I know are loving amazing from what little of them I've played.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 20, 2015

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I just bought RCTW and am playing it the first time through. I am on Death Incarnate and I have shot Klaus four times in the face and have not quicksaved one time so I'll give it another go tonight and hopefully use my brain this time through.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Mordja posted:

Trip report!

OK despite what I said earlier, this was the first time actually beating RTCW. I think I quit somewhere around the X-Labs when I was a kid. All in all, a lot of fun and a solid representation of shooters from that era. For one thing, I'd forgotten just how little actual narrative there is. The entire storyline is told in between mission cutscenes and loading screens. It's funny distorted memories can be. For example, in my mind, Helga had a much larger role in the story, rather than showing up once to get et. Then there's also the topic of weapon balance; there's a ton of guns but a lot of redundancy too. The Sten is basically a straight upgrade to the MP40, overheating aside, the Thompson finds so little ammo that it's not viable and the FG 42 is an all-aspect murder machine. Tesla seemed trash, flamethrower could leave a whole squad on fire with a couple of bursts and the Venom Gun is still probably my favourite videogame minigun. Lastly, and one thing I don't miss, is the enemies' insane reaction times. This, combined with the ubiquity of rapid fire, near hitscan weapons led to a lot of cheese and a lot of F9s.

Anyway, I've started on Wolfenstein 2009 and I'm not really feeling it yet. Coming off its prequel, it's just so slow. It seriously feels as though you're moving through pudding. The beginning section also showcases just how tutorialized games have become, comparatively. In the last one you're thrown into a castle and it's assumed you know how to shoot/stab Nazis, in this you're literally led around by Herr Explainymann. I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I recall that it gets better as you upgrade your guns and powers but while I blazed through RTCW in a few days, I have a feeling this one will take a while. Which is a shame because I really want to get to the TOB/TNO, which I know are loving amazing from what little of them I've played.

Are you using my mod for it? http://www.moddb.com/mods/retrostein

One of the many features is that it gives the Nazis the insane reaction times they had in RTCW :getin:

(But of course you have regenerating health, so it is far less challenging than RTCW.)

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 20, 2015

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Can someone please give me some tips for beating the final TNO boss on uber.

I need help with the second part of the fight. I'm able to dance around long enough to fire all my rockets and grenades I can find or brought with me but by then I've used up all the health and armor in the arena and it doesn't take long for Deathshead to finish me off. I just can't dance around the fires and Deathshead's super accurate gunfire any longer than that. I even know to wait for Deathshead to stop screaming before firing again.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Spaseman posted:

I need help with the second part of the fight. I'm able to dance around long enough to fire all my rockets and grenades I can find or brought with me but by then I've used up all the health and armor in the arena and it doesn't take long for Deathshead to finish me off. I just can't dance around the fires and Deathshead's super accurate gunfire any longer than that. I even know to wait for Deathshead to stop screaming before firing again.

I used silenced pistols to turn the Nazis rushing you. He can't hear silenced shots but he'll smash the zombies for you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

echronorian posted:

I used silenced pistols to turn the Nazis rushing you. He can't hear silenced shots but he'll smash the zombies for you.

TNO, not The Old Blood.

Unfortunately the Deathshead fight is a total crapshoot on high difficulties. All you can really do is use your explosive weapons, followed by your laserkraftwerk, followed by flechette shotguns and so on. Just work your way down your arsenal by power. He can damage himself with his rockets (I think he fires rockets anyway, it's been a long time) so keep that in mind when you're kiting him around, it might make it easier to have him target you and then put a piece of cover near him between the two of you so that he'll blow himself up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

echronorian posted:

He's looking for New Order help, not Old Blood.

After you dump grenades, you're basically left with kiting and using your laser weaponry, either from the lkw or marksman altfire. Really short bursts to maximise your health regen bonuses and just don't get hit as much. I know its not very helpful.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Spaseman posted:

He doesn't take damage while playing his pain animations, so fire one or two rockets to make him stumble, wait for the animation to complete, then crank out a couple more. It's kinda stupid and makes the fight far more frustrating than fun.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib
This is such a lovely goddamn fight. The game was so much fun until now it is amazing how badly they hosed this fight up.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah I didn't want to complain about it too much because the rest was such a good time, but the second phase of the final boss fight seriously does suck. It's not even the whole thing! The level before that is rad, the fight before that is rad, the first phase is rad, then the second phase is just kind of a clusterfuck with the goofy "I'm not taking damage but there's no way for you to know this" rule. I felt like the ending lost a bit of its impact because I was just so frustrated at that fight, which is a shame because the ending does own.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

loving hell, I thought pain animation meant he was vulnerable and taking extra damage. Like in every other videogame since 1991.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I was seriously frustrated because for some reason my uber achievement didn't pop for either TNO or TOB. I'll play them again next winter.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib
Does anyone know if the game will detect me using Cheat Engine? At this point I just want to get past this awful part anyway I can but I still want the achievements and any unlocks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

moths posted:

loving hell, I thought pain animation meant he was vulnerable and taking extra damage. Like in every other videogame since 1991.

Nope.

It mean's he's invincible. So, if you dump your ammo then... you get nothing.

It's incredibly stupid, but once you know not to fire until he's moving again, he's much easier to take down.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I got really lucky on my playthrough, he glitched out near the central pillars and couldn't move. I guess you could keep reloading till something like that happens.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was in the mood for a shooter, and picked up TNO in the sale. I wasn't actually aware it had even come out, I thought the last one was the 2009 one that I never really got into.

I really liked it - fun shooty gameplay, a surprisingly good story, and it ran completely flawlessly. The only level I didn't really like was the underwater one in the sewers, but it didn't last too long anyway so it wasn't much of a problem.

Two thumbs up would blast Nazis again (and probably will because the Steam encore sale is still around for a few more hours so I'll probably pick up The Old Blood too)

E: 35 gigabyte download for The Old Blood. At this point I'm just starting to think some of these file sizes are anti-piracy measures and nothing more.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 22, 2015

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

your evil twin posted:

Are you using my mod for it? http://www.moddb.com/mods/retrostein

One of the many features is that it gives the Nazis the insane reaction times they had in RTCW :getin:

(But of course you have regenerating health, so it is far less challenging than RTCW.)

Oh cool, you made that?

Though, uh, I have to admit I decided not use it to but probably should have. The longer sprint would have been a blessing. Anyway, the game caught me and I ended up blowing through it over the weekend after all. A lot of fun, a few flaws, Big Bore for the K98 is a must-have upgrade, if only for the death anims. While player movement was still a pain the actual shooting was fun and meaty and the powers were an added bonus. Too bad the game threw away all of that goodwill with the final bossfight. Holy poo poo, it's been a long time I've been so frustrated with a game, especially the second phase. Ended up bumping the difficulty down to normal and got through it in a couple of tries but NOT FUN.

That said, I can't wait to get home this evening and fire up TOB. I'm planning to play it before TNO, that's fine, right?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I reanimate for help. Anyone with a GTX970 having massive performance issues in this game? I get around 30fps on the lowest settings with occasional freezes, it ran better on my old HD6870. I looked online and found that this is apparently a very common problem so I tried out 6 or so different fixes that people recommended and found none that work. Does anybody here have any idea how to fix this?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bushmaori posted:

I reanimate for help. Anyone with a GTX970 having massive performance issues in this game? I get around 30fps on the lowest settings with occasional freezes, it ran better on my old HD6870. I looked online and found that this is apparently a very common problem so I tried out 6 or so different fixes that people recommended and found none that work. Does anybody here have any idea how to fix this?

What have you tried? I'd recommend it's run as Administrator and you disable ingame V-Sync and replace it with driver enforced V-Sync instead.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Mordja posted:

Oh cool, you made that?

Though, uh, I have to admit I decided not use it to but probably should have. The longer sprint would have been a blessing. Anyway, the game caught me and I ended up blowing through it over the weekend after all. A lot of fun, a few flaws, Big Bore for the K98 is a must-have upgrade, if only for the death anims. While player movement was still a pain the actual shooting was fun and meaty and the powers were an added bonus. Too bad the game threw away all of that goodwill with the final bossfight. Holy poo poo, it's been a long time I've been so frustrated with a game, especially the second phase. Ended up bumping the difficulty down to normal and got through it in a couple of tries but NOT FUN.

That said, I can't wait to get home this evening and fire up TOB. I'm planning to play it before TNO, that's fine, right?

Nah, play the base game first. Despite the chronological order I think it works out better that way. TOB doesn't have like, much in the way of emotional beats, but many of the things that are there rely on you kind of knowing whats coming, particularly theres an aspect of BJs personality, a little repeated phrase in TNO, and you get a reveal regarding it in TNO that would fall completely flat if you played them chronologically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What have you tried? I'd recommend it's run as Administrator and you disable ingame V-Sync and replace it with driver enforced V-Sync instead.

Changing drivers, changing vram dedication, changing all options, using run as administrator, turning off in game vsync and replacing it with driver forced, some people also said changing the filename would somehow help, it didn't. I'm copying over to another harddrive at the moment to see if that makes a difference, so far nothing else has.

My card is fine, the only other game I have disproportionate problems with is Arkham Knight, for obvious reasons.

• Locked thread