Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a similar style but it's clearly a brand new model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The buildings in "modern times" were loving horrible and unbalanced and ruined the game. It's like the whole thing was done by a different team or was a lovely unofficial mod.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also I think the modern times expansion actually was farmed out and wasn't done by the same team that made tropico 4. That explains a lot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

bitterandtwisted posted:

My biggest problem with T3 and 4 was the political side of it was way too easy. As long as the people were fed and housed every faction was happy, even on the highest difficulty settings. Just having the communists happy should make the capitalists and USA angry and vice versa. Factions should matter more. One time I tried to provoke the dominant faction into rebelling (I had a big army I wanted to see in action), but even when I got their approval down to 0, none of the members cared that much because their personal needs were met. The game should force you to take despotic measures to maintain control, but instead it was far easier to succeed as a good guy.

Yeah this is my #1 complaint about tropico, way too easy. Why even have all those despotic editcs and buildings when there is absolutely no reason to use them nor is there ever any serious threat? You basically have to master the game and really know your poo poo to finally learn how to even trigger any sort of real rebellions or challenges. There's zero political instability or challenge to the game and it feels like they just totally mis-judged the difficulty settings.

I hope there's actual hard choices and and challenge in 5.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not worried about this being a major change, we're not going to see the sameness of 3 to 4. 4 was the same engine, same interface, same building models and mostly the same buildings just with an update. This is a whole new game. I don't know if it will be good, but it won't be tropico 4.5.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I take back a lot of my optimism about the game now that I've looked at what they've shown. It looks like the exact same engine, even the same game as Tropico 4 just with different building graphics. This looks once again to be nothing more than a mod or expansion on the existing game just like T3 to T4. Also the game is a month away and there's been like no proper gameplay footage. From what I have seen though it looks like it runs exactly like T3/4 just with new building options and rule changes every "era".

I have a nasty feeling the "tropico problem" will still be around, namely that the game is challenging and fun for the few few moments but then you build your standard setup and it's free money and no danger. That they give you a million cool tools to brutally hang on to power yet as long as people have some food and some housing and some work they love you and you never have to use a single edict. Game was too loving easy outside of scripted conflict events within missions.

So now we have eras where everything changes. Cool, after playing the game a couple times I now know the perfect and best way to make money and everyone happy in the colonial era, oh no it's the World Wars era, some of my exports are worth less, some are worth more. I knew this was coming though so I've already started to make the transition. Oh no more eras and more "drastic" changes, but I've played the game a couple times already so this is all just following a script. Hooray I've gotten to modern times and everyone loves me and not once was my regime not showered with the love of every faction, even mutually exclusive ones, let alone ever actually threatened.

I'm looking forward to an update on T4, I've bought the game and will most likely enjoy it, but it's looking more and more like a re-hash of T4 with this eras thing bolted on and absolutely no signs of significant gameplay changes because it's still the same game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah the roads in tropico were always free-form but snap to 90 when needed at the ends. Unless you have procedurally generated form-fitting buildings you pretty much have to do that or you get into bullshit like Simcity2013 or Cities XL where you have square buildings trying to conform to curved non-grid roads so gently caress you you can't build that building there because the road is 0.05 degrees off. Developers need to gently caress off with the spline roads until they figure out non tile based buildings.

At least tropico gave us lots of tiny details to fill the ugly spaces between buildings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That would be so nice. I often found my self doing exactly that: just laying down a fountain or statue or something just for the concrete.

\/ Yep, cities XL did a lot of things right, or planned on doing a lot of things right, or sort of tried to do some things right...

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 6, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's still the exact same engine and base game though. It's just new building models and a coat of paint on the interface. That won't bother me though if the gameplay is significantly improved. Hell just tropico 4 with some new buildings and an actual challenge from the factions would be an instant buy for me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those castle towers look ok for the colonial era, but even so there's way too many of them and it looks stupid.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Honestly that's the best way to buy games, wait until they are done. I'm an idiot who got in on a 4-pack because SAVINGS and I WANT TO PLAY NOW. But really, everyone should wait like a year after a game comes out and just buy the 50% off GOLD EDITION that comes with all the DLC.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They totally weren't in the slightest. Plantations plus the plantidor trait was just a money printing press. You'd build a plantation as your first building and bam, post-scarcity economy. I'd have loving condos as my first and only housing for my people after the first few boat loads of exports.

Modern times was awful too. Beyond the buildings looking like absolute poo poo that didn't match the tropico style nor the detail/geometric complexity of other things in the game (hooray cube with glass texture!) they were often ridiculously over-powered.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still to this day don't understand why they made the game so easy. Why not have the difficulty sliders mean something? Set everything to super simple/easy and it's like normal tropico. Set everything to hard and maybe actually get a hard game? It's like they built the game around it being hard but then at the last moment made exports worth a fortune and every faction love you no matter what.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

About time, thanks! The video won't play for me though because it seems to be hosted on a potato or something rather than youtube :(

Also those super skinny skyscrapers look terrible and out of place.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 15, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like a lot of what I'm seeing, but also hate a lot of what I'm seeing. Well dislike.
I always liked the idea that you were a crappy struggling banana republic. What the gently caress is any tiny little Caribbean tinpot dictator doing with a full aircraft carrier? I know it makes having air support easy but would just having an airbase building be that much harder? A lot of poo poo in the game just seems out of place for the setting and scale, like the skyscrapers I mentioned before too. They seem so out of place, no one was ever building buildings like that in the region, let alone in some tiny 100-person colony. Obviously poo poo is abstracted to hell but it just throws any sort of believability to the scale out the window. Do the models really need to be so tall? Do those buildings actually have occupancy or employment that much larger than other buildings or did the devs just think it looked cool?

I really hope the game is a bit easier (ie possible) to mod vs previous tropicos. So much of what was wrong with previous games could have so easily been fixed with simple mods. Decrease the value of this and that, increase the capacity of this and the cost of that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Strategic Tea posted:

Haven't watched the totalbiscuit video yet, but one thing struck me in the twitch clip earlier. The voice acting seemed way worse than in 4. I mean yeah, it's not exactly a big deal, but Sunny and Penultimo just had so much personality that I wasn't really feeling from the new ones...

I was hoping maybe it wasn't the final voice work, but with the game coming out so soon...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sorry video games have moved to a new marketing system where you have to pre-order. After a game comes out no one can buy it, this is to punish those without faith or those who refuse to take risks. At least this is the only explanation as to why people keep buying video games the don't like.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poil posted:

According to the Total Biscuit video (where did those 50 minutes go?) they have totally gutted character creation. :(
But despite that it looked pretty fun.

That's weird, I thought they'd put a greater emphasis on your character with this whole dynasty thing. Or is it just something lame like "choose between successor that gives +1 to your troops or successor who gives +5% to farming" and that's that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope they give some good advantage to siding with the axis in WWII. We of course know Germany will lose and the US will emerge supreme, and a tiny little axis-aligned island off the coast of Florida would not see its self in the US's good books. So what possible reason would a player have for siding with the axis? Or perhaps between ages all bets are off and the slate is wiped clean. It's not like the US wouldn't forgive and forget literal nazi's if it means advantage against the Soviets.

And do we know what the situation will be like in modern times? No sides, just various countries with no either/or alliances?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

El Fürer's Childhood home.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

IceG posted:

I really like the fact that there are separate difficulty sliders for political and economic difficulty, I always thought that keep everyone happy was way too easy in T4 even on the Campaign maps.

My #1 wish for the game is that it actually has real meaningful difficulty settings that range from "I'm doing my best but I'm constantly in debt and rebels are tearing my country apart" to "sandox". T4's sliders only went from "extremely easy" to "sandbox". There was no medium let alone hard.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah, I guess Panama does have a ridiculous skyline of almost out of place pencil towers. I'm just spergin' out more about the massing. I'd be fine with some taller buildings, just not quite THAT tall. Like if all the big modern buildings were maybe only half the height. And if they had some variety. That's something I sadly noticed in the video. In previous tropicos common buildings often had 4 or so different models you could cycle though for variety, I didn't see that at all. Specially for something like a massive view-blocking skyscraper.

That's another reason I'm not a big fan of the skyscrapers, they're so big and form these ugly walls and block your view as the player on your town.
Anyways that's really nitpicky and after these videos I'm super excited about the game.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 22, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gyrobot posted:

Actually, generals, scientists, politicians come to your island. You either let them in and piss off Russia and the US or send them back to Berlin and Rome as floating corpses. If you had decided to choose the losing side you can pay up or they invade since they are saving it for Japan

And if you ask, you are simply buying the old carriers, slap a new coat of paint, replace 40's electronics with Chinese electronics and a new engine. Tropican engineering will find a way! Tropican research isn't so much as making new discoveries but reading enough science magazines that you get a rough idea of what you are doing.

You mean piss off the US and Russia for poaching the talent they wanted to hire? It was an all-out head-hunting recruitment fair after the war.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember reading somewhere that you can always place any building regardless of era.

Have they said anything about modding? This company has always been pretty anti-mod or at least seemed to design things so that it's extremely difficulty to do so. I don't know if this is to "protect" future DLC or what. But man I'd love to be able to just go and download 5 new house styles to cycle between or what ever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Awww man I thought the game would be coming out at midnight tonight but it's going to be more tomorrow late-morning/afternoon. I haven't actually felt excited and impatient about a release date for many years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's cool is if you leave steam running at home you can log in at work and remotely tell the game to download and install so it's ready to go when you come home!
Also some people are bragging they bought the boxed game early because gently caress steam's later release date. They're going to be pretty upset when they get home.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"too difficult to fail"

gently caress, that's the ONE thing I wanted.

\/ I was really hoping for difficulty sliders that made the game borderline impossible. Where simply surviving to the modern age would be a serious achievement.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 23, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm a huge idiot thinking of going home early from work to play tropico but I got a 4 pack. Am I screwed until they fix it or is there a work-around? I remotely installed and it says there's a ~100 meg file waiting for me at home.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gift versions officially fixed! Go hog wild!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ZachRyker posted:

um, apparently Trop 5 absolutely requires DirectX 11 and a vid card thats' compatible with it, and refuses to start without it. Seems a really odd choice, since Trop 4 was blisteringly fast with my GTX 260. Ah well, off to try to get Steam to throw me a refund.

Are you loving kidding me? gently caress, my computer is a bit old but still runs any game fine just my card is a bit old. I'm probably goign to be in the same boat. God drat it all I wanted to do was play tropico this weekend. Guess I'm due for a new computer anyways.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That looks really cool but man would it have killed them to have 3-4 different models for the most common skyscrapers? Same with houses and apartments.
I'm sure someone will figure out how to mod out the population cap.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Would just less docks actually improve the flow?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hopefully by the time I have a computer that can play this (gently caress you dx11) a lot of this stuff will get patched. Would just upping the amount of stuff each ship can export help?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you're bad at democracy just do what any other leader does, stop it. Build lots of military, keep the military happy, and drop that boot down on the rabble.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just banish them, you get some of their money and they gently caress off to Florida or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crime lords drain money from you as shown as "corruption" on your info screen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Was this a problem in tropico 4? I don't seem to remember it being a problem. Like if I had an industry that needed a resource it was never running short because I was selling it all. Then again most all resources were renewable, t5 seems to have a lot more finite resources.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know it's not ideal, but could you simply reduce the employment at a uranium mine so that it's not producing such an excess that results in exports? Like if you're nuke plant is using 1000 uranium a year but full mining employment is digging up 5000 then just reduce staff till it's more or less balanced?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did the recent patch fix people's boatjams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nice, I like seeing people's pictures of pretty cities. In T4 I was absolutely obsessed with pretty "realistic" towns.

• Locked thread