Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've been spergin out and it occurs to me that maybe i can just ask a few things -

1)As far as i can tell, a squad of tanks is as good as a platoon of infantry, the difference is the manpower/land demands of each. Am i totally off base on this?

2)Tourism is...unprofitable. Not including attractions (which always seems to come out to like 1/3 hotel rents), i'm seeing breakeven times of like 50-100 months, which is terrible compared to agriculture and whatnot. Is there some magic bullet i'm not seeing (other than building country hotels near Hang Gliding Clubs, holy crap those print money).

3)How stable are market prices, particularly era to era? Has anybody been keeping track?

4)Are colonial era pirates at all predictable? I see them like 1 out of every 5 games tops, so it seems like they're really arbitrary.

5)The competition events for new heirs: are those mapped out yet, or is it crazy arbitrary?

The game's particularly fun in multiplayer-by-points, even if it's a little unstable. You wind up doing all sorts of stupid poo poo (like taking out debt to quick build cathedrals) that feels very in the spirit of being a crazy dictator.

Guildencrantz posted:

Has anyone been able to successfully go Maximum Hitler and create a horrific, oppressive hellhole of inequality? I'm trying to do that as a break from the usual utopian nice guy style, and it's actually super hard. Either I get owned by rebels, or sunk by the cost of the outsize army needed to keep the rebel hordes at bay. All I want to do is move my cronies and enforcers into lavish mansions while taking a dump on the poors, is that so much to ask?

... Now I feel terrible for typing that out.

Oh yea it's totally possible. The biggest problem is that it's hard to create a separate housing for military, but it's possible if they're the only rich people or you just have few enough rich people that the soldiers are all in mansions: your military's loyalty tends to come down more to their happiness than the happiness of the general faction (which is good, because militarists hate "Professional Military").

What really seems to killed me when i'm went full-on Pinochet this morning was that i left right to bear arms on and had a bunch of food related uprisings. This lead to a ton of productive workers dying, which lead to a King of Dragon Pass style deathspiral where i had 3 kids for every adult and couldn't feed them all and eventually the military got so pisssy i had to fire all of them but the palace guards, and then there was another uprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

WRT to houses.

Country houses have a base quality of 40, regular Houses 50, Mansions 90, Tenements 40, Apartments 50, and Modern Apartments 70.

If you build regular houses as 3x2 clusters of 6 houses, they'll have a base of 60, which is kind of huge compared to Country Houses. The biggest trouble is that there's not "Electrify All" (afaik this is the single largest request), but there IS a "Modernize All" for country houses, which is dangerous since Country Houses serve important roles in rural housing like "the people who staff eco tourist housing." Really of the three building that have "Modernize All," Tenements are the only ones where it's useful - Houses can cause food shortages, and Modern Apartments are really like supermansions.

Two Mansions will cost 6,400 and house 8 families, six houses will cost 14,400 and house 24 families in the same footprint (though the mansions will have slightly more flexibility). The houses are slightly more efficient than mansions, but Mansions have comically high housing value so outside of social experiments, houses are kind of a pain in the balls. I kind of expect to see Mansions get downgraded - they only fall below 100 at 0 beauty, and they are at 60 at -40 (unless i hosed up my math). They should probably either cost more or generate less revenue.

Probably my biggest complaint is the difficulty in micromanaging citizens. When you click on Military Loyalty it just gives a list of all soldiers - how the gently caress am i supposed to figure out what, in general, is pissing off my soldiers? A breakdown of the different forms of happiness for soldiers would be more helpful.

Also the lack of Occupancy and Employment Overlays drives me up the loving wall.

Honestly i love the game, and i particularly love the simplification of budget and wealth requirements for services. It's actually a fairly challenging tropico game, and multiplayer is somewhat bare but could become something really awesome (needs loving speed controls dammit). There are a lot of rough edges that need sanding, and if Civ5 could become a decent game, this is certainly going to be amazing after some patching.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a list of resource prices anywhere? How are we supposed to plan our economy or know what's worth what? So far the only way I've seen how much anything is worth is via the trade screen, but there you can only see the default price of a good that's up for a trade route.

You can also see values of everything you produce.

Values seem to be consistent at start, i'm actually not sure what causes changes after that, the Colonial is the result of about 9 different test points that were always the exact goddamn same, the others are just kind of whatever saves i have lying around. I have literally never built a chocolate or electronics factory, i should see what those wind up as.

I also have a theory that multiproduction cycle buildings are slower if you can't keep them firing on all cylinders, hence why you'd use anything other than fish in a cannery or use cotton in a textile mill. However i also haven't really spent the time spergin' to figure out production of all but a few buildings in the simplest circumstances. I kinda wanted to just play the game instead of spreadsheeting for a while.

code:
Era			Colonial	World Wars (1)	World Wars (2)	Cold War (1)	Modern Times (1)Modern Times (2)
Market price...
Banana			800		800		800		800		960		800
Corn			400		370		357		300		344		257
Fish			300		300		300		300		360		300
Meat			1000		1130		1143		1200		1200		1000
Milk			700		830		843		900		944		757
Pineapple		900		900		900		900		1080		900

Cocoa			1500		1500		1500		1500		1800		1500
Coffee			1300		1300		1300		1300		1560		1300
Cotton			1100		1270		1257		1200		1304		1057
Sugar			800		800		800		800		960		640
Tobacco			1000		1000		1000		1000		1200		1000
Wool			900		820		807		750		833		679

Logs			600		738		621		650		840		700
Iron			1400		1140		1114		887		887		857
Coal			600		470		457		500		500		500
Gold			2500		2500		2500		2500		2500		2500
Bauxite					1770		1757		1700		1687		1657
Uranium									3500		3700		4150
Oil									5000		7133		7433

Planks			1500		1500		1500		1500		1726		1965
Cloth					2800		2800		2800		2574		2765
Canned Goods				2000		2000				2000		2200
Steel					3800		3933		4500				3612
Furniture									                        2800	
Pharmaceuticals												2845
Apparel													3612

Cigar					3200		3200						4088
Rum					2700		2700				4701		2173
Jewelry					7000		7000				3633
Cars
Chocolate
Electronics

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So i made a city in modern times, with most every factory (forgot apparel) and ran them at 100% efficiency with everything imported to look at what they crapped out, so here's what they look like in terms of monthly production and profit (again, at 3 budget). 1 input always leads to 1 output, so 5 Cocoa and 5 Sugar makes 10 Chocolate, and 10 Fish makes 10 Canned Goods (these numbers should give you a sense of how much production you need for multiple factories above all else).

code:
Factory			Production	Profit
Pharmaceuticals		600		1111
Pharma w/oil		900		-350
Canned Goods		1200		1190
Textile Mill		800		1196
Furniture Factory	700		761
Chocolate Factory	500		1191
Libertad Chocolate	800		2050
Rum Distillery		600		808
Steel Mill		600		1355
Cigar Factory		500		1246
Electronics Factory	300		1650
Jewelry Workshop	300		1270
Vehicle Factory		400		4220

Profit def accounts for input cost - note Pharma w Oil. The insane outliers are Vehicles, Chocolate, and Furniture, the first and last of those could...probably do with some balancing. This doesn't really capture everything that a factory is about - i don't account for labor (both quantity and quality), space, upgrades (other than additional lines), or trade deals, factors that make canneries, vehicle factories, and electronics factories significantly better than on paper. Canned Goods deals should stand out as being worth an assload, since Canneries produce a stupid amount of exports.

Factories have production prorated by the number of lines running - Canned Goods produce 300 for each line running, Chocolate Factories actually occassionally said 1000 production i don't know what was up with it going to 800 but the profit went up so ???, textiles produce 400 for each of cotton and wool. I forgot to check the luxury line for furniture but i don't see why turning gold into furniture is going to help. Pharma is the exception, the oil line is basically half a line.

Baronjutter posted:

Why didn't they just store everything in something easier to edit ? I don't understand in this day and age why a company wouldn't at least make things easy to mod/tweak. You don't have to roll out some fancy mod exchange system, but holy poo poo do mods add to the replay value of PC games and keep sales going for longer. Even factoring in "protecting DLC sales" easy modding you still win out.

I remember as a kid opening up some simple txt file in civ2 and seeing basically the whole game in there. I could tweak every unit, every terrain, every building. Why the hell not just have some "buildings.lua" file in plain text that anyone can open up and play with all the stats? Is it that much effort?

Yes, yes it is. It's not even all that bad anyway.

e: Found a campaign bug: in the "get tons of swiss bank" mission, it's not properly sanitized so if you spend 50k+ in swiss and push your mission long earnings to -50k, you win.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wallet posted:

With the upgrade it's 900 furniture at 100 effectiveness, each unit uses 0.05 units of gold and 0.95 planks.

Well poo poo, maybe i should take a look at that some time.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

You don't necessarily get rebels from unrest. You get uprisings from unrest, much nastier.

I just kind of leave Crime Lords alone unless they're Filthy rich.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FrozenVent posted:

For the record, it's possible to beat back an uprising. It's not easy but it can be done. If you're lucky. And have a shitton of military.

I bombed the assholes.

You don't necessarily WANT to win, it can kill the whole working age population.

The White Dragon posted:

Doesn't Democracy fully negate uprisings, though?

That does beg the question what negative impact Crime Lords have on your island, though. Do they contribute to Corruption? Raise crime in their home area? The game is pretty ambiguous about them. Maybe the tutorial explains it, I skipped that.

But then you have to have free and fair elections, yuck.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish we could just keep refreshing resources for a cost forever, or at least have that an option in sandbox.

That's basically what importing is?

PirateBob posted:

How many raw resource buildings should you have per factory? Tobacco -> Cigars, for instance?

Does a ranch need fertility in the surrounding area, or just on the tiles it is placed on?

Kind of depends? Looks like somewhat close to 2:1 raws:producers, but some are different - 2 Wharfs provided way more fish than 3 canneries at high efficiency could use, for example. One steel mill (off of one coal and one iron) and one bauxite mine allowed me to run 2 vehicle factories, but each Cigar Factory seems to need 1.5-2 tobacco plantations. I've never managed to keep a furniture factory running, holy poo poo they have fast throughput.

I'm pretty sure ranches just use the land they're on.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 6, 2014

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yea even when the input is a freighter of Lumber coming into a dock right next to the furniture factory, it's hard to keep it running >30% of the time, though that was in a maze of factories. That production line lends itself poorly to collection point centralization, since logging camps tend to run more slowly the longer they're up.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

If your imports aren't getting off the dock to the factories fast enough, you don't have enough teamsters. After the second ship, assuming you're importing enough (which you only need to set up once), it will run smoothly unless you don't have enough teamsters or for some reason your factories are far from the docks. If you don't have enough teamsters, you're interally sustainable economy will also be running dry anyway, but worse because your chain is longer and you're paying more workers.

Honestly the better i get, the more i like importing. It lets you compress supply chains and reduce labor costs, giving you better uptimes and much lower overhead.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Opals25 posted:

I'm pretty sure newspaper and soldiers can also reach rich? I know I've ben able to get a decent number of people into colonial mansions.

Yes. And Library. And Teamster. And Construction. And Mission.

The Opera House is the only one that can do Filthy though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Baronjutter posted:

I think the entire "budget" simplification is a huge step backwards vs the wage system we had before. The fact that you often get an increase in profit is counter-intuitive as well. Either you're paying your people higher wages for the same work and making their happier, or you're working them harder/smarter and increasing production but compensating to match so it should be a wash.

It's the same problem with housing too. Increasing the budget makes the housing nicer but also increases the rent and locks certain classes out. The whole class system was supposed to simplify things but it's just make things unintuitive. Why can't I have a slum for unemployed people with super high upkeep budget that I run at a huge loss? Why can't I have my doctors making $10 and my farmers making $20?

Increasing budget doesn't increase rent. People pay rents based on their wealth level, and if you increase the budget to the point where it prices out an entire class and then fills up again with people of the higher class, then rent "goes up," but you can in fact lose money by increasing the budget.

They should probably retune the effects of budget on export buildings so that without free market tends to reduce total income.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The unemployed starve, yea.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tourism is fairly labor efficient but incredibly poor on time efficiency, so i pretty much only build it for completing missions and scoring points.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Another thing about country houses - the food happiness they provide is equal to the housing happiness. Which is actually pretty drat high considering. Country homes OP.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I really like trop5. Trop3 and 4 are just...so easy by comparison, going back they don't feel like games at all, they just play themselves like JRPGs. And Trop5 MP is a blast.

Trop3 probably ate the most of my time, but WoW at even more so it's not like 'time spent' is really a metric of quality.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

That's still way harder than 3 or 4, where the only bad moves were "building a military" and "not spending money quickly." 5 is still pretty easy, but the hardest difficulty in 4 was still "presolved rubiks cube" level. Rebellions and uprisings are something that can end your game and can happen without deliberately going out of your way to provoke them, which is somewhat refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Alkydere posted:

I think the big issue I had was I went Professional Military in World Wars like a loving dumbass. So even with 3 highschools my bases were constantly under-manned and every soldier I lost stung.

You gotta ease into pro military, i typically run militia for a while before switching to professionals.

prefect posted:

That makes sense. You're telling them that there are now requirements for getting into the military. If that prevents any of them from making it in, of course they'll be mad.

Yea histoically people who are "pro military" in some big way have preferred universal conscription so that every man in the country is invested in the military at some level.

• Locked thread