Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A note on trade is that if you check often, you can find some stupid good deals, like corn at $150 (Helllooo factory farms!) or steel at ~3500... Which you can then flip to the ruskies at ~6000.

How feasible is it to have a completely trade based economy, without producing much or anything for export? I've tried it once or twice but it seems my treasury just craters when the imports come in and never recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I haven't made it to the modern era yet but I assume it causes a credit crisis at some point :getin:

The feel of the game seems a bit off, somehow. Like it's decent Tropico, but it doesn't quite feel the same. Maybe the tone's shifted or something. Beats Tropico 2, anyway.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Heh that part I don't mind, it feels a bit more realistic. Adjusting everyone's salary was a pain in the rear end, and it'd be more complicated with the different eras, really.

Beside let's face it, you only ever had three pay levels, with adjustments for keeping the army happy and filling those undesirable jobs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Pollution / beauty affects housing scores, if it works anything like the previous versions.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

When someone's role is revealed as "crime lord", should I have them shot or... I don't know, I kind of miss my prisons and work camps. :getin:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bloodnose posted:

Oh I was trying to increase that number because official corruption is an integral part of the Tropican economy.

But not private corruption. That's unacceptable!

My corruption is the only moral corruption.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you haven't had an uprising yet, you should. It's hilarious.

Also your game is pretty much hosed, hope you had a decent save.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You can still export a commodity if you don't have a trade deal for it; you just get the default price.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Alberto Basalm posted:

edit: also how do I make new dynasty members

When a dictator and a secret agent love each others veeeeerry much...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

4's DLC had a "Festival of love" edict that ruled. Also resulted in a higher birth rate.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My dynasty members never seem to level up on their own, and I realized way too late in the campaign that I could buy them levels... I might have to start over.

You export at market prices when your teamster drop poo poo off at the dock, and the freighter you don't control shows up and haul the poo poo away. It's the ship that docks starboard side to.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

bigzak posted:

Sometimes it seems like things just won't build. Building takes forever in this game and construction crews are useless. I'm pretty much just quick building everything

Are you connecting your building sites to road? Even with just one construction office, it seems things go up in flash for me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The phrase "Level 5 Landlord" will never not be funny.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Whatever DLC gave you the Labor Camp was the best DLC.

Don't do the time if you can't plant the sugar.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I'm playing on a Lenovo office laptop (:ssh:) and I haven't had a single crash yet.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Yes it's a well beaten horse by now, started by a horse wearing armour that you could beat. Let's not go there.

You can download a flail to beat the horse with, for only $0.99

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

How do you use the aircraft carrier? I get "Fire at will", but is there a way to tell them to bomb these guys or those guys?

Just had a pretty bad uprising because... I banished too many criminals I guess?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Plus once you hit modern times you just need some sort of uneducated workforce employment program.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

People will also move in to a shack that's got space even if it's halfway across the island.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Kammat posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why I have 60 open jobs of various levels, and 30 people bitching they're unemployed :psyduck:

On the front page of the Almanac, if you click "Unemployed", it'll show you a bar graph of education levels needed and education levels available.

Bunch of grade school graduates all up in here... Where the gently caress do they even go to school?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A final solution, if you will?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

It's too bad you can't "plot to assassinate" troublesome leaders. If they combined Tropico-style gameplay with the character personality traits and intrigue of Crusader Kings 2, it'd pretty much be my perfect game. :allears:

Yeah that applied to internal cabinet politics would rule.

You just know Penultimo's gunning for the bauxite throne, that backstabbing motherfucker.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Appointing Gen. Hernandez of the Militarist faction to Secretary of War will net you major brownie points with the militarists, but he may also use his position to siphon funds for the military and build loyalty to himself. Watch out if you fire him, though, because he might turn against you and plot to seize power himself in a coup!

You can appease the Communists by making Pablo Colon your Minister of Labor, but this may engender discontentment among the Capitalists, who may appeal to the USA for an intervention, as well as alienate your ambitious nephew who's gunning for a position in the cabinet...

Man that would be awesome.

Also Colon's daughter is married to Beaudet, the religious leader, who's actually French and has very strong tie to the EU. He's also sleeping with Sunny on the side.

Yeah that needs to be Tropico 6.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Do you have Amnesty enacted? If your happiness is high enough, they should come back into society.

Otherwise, provoke them and cull them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tehan posted:

So what are we supposed to do with the information our bleeding edge surveillance states produce? I now know this dude is a crime lord, what does that mean? Is he stealing from me? Is he reducing crime safety? Should I banish him? Kill him? What about rebels? Would gunning down known rebels in the street just produce more rebels? Or are they freebies?

Banishing them removes corruption (in the case of crime lords, notice how they're way richer than their co-workers) or rebels, in the case of rebels.

Banishing and killing peoples does generate unrest, which... You don't want an uprising. I haven't survived one yet.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah the uprising is more "arab spring" than "cuban revolution". Bunch of mobs appear and start loving poo poo up; they will outnumber your military, they will win.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Why is there no legal way to deal with criminals and crime lords and rebels and poo poo? I wish there was a "build case" or "investigate" button that set you police against them to actually remove them legally and with due process without making people super mad.

According to every other thread in GBS, D&D and A/T, that should also make people mad. gently caress the po-po, man, like, freedom!

I do miss imprisonment, mind you. I want my drat labor camps!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Speedball posted:

They don't have prisons? Then what do you do with crime? (Do people turn into Professional Criminals as a job in Trop 5?)

Nah, they just have a "Crime lord" role on top of their job, it's a new mechanic.

You kick 'em off the island or kill their sorry rear end. It's very inefficient, they could be growing pineapples instead.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Maybe they'll balance the unrest in a patch; right now at some point in the campaign you get a mission to banish five crime lords, and if you do them all in one go you'll get an uprising. Seems a little excessive to me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I thought the cabinet in 4 was completely pointless. Just let me use the drat edicts without paying $20 a month per minister, dammit.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Logistics have been an issue since the first game. Tropico 2 had an interesting - if dumb - approach to it, where every building that needed stuff had it's own teamster. (Or skeleton because :pirate:)

That's the only element of the existence of Tropico 2 I'm willing to acknowledge, however.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Click the ship's wheel at the bottom, it'll open the trade menu. You need to manually assign a ship to importing sugar.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Platystemon posted:

So exports happen automatically at standard prices, but imports don’t?

Yeah that's the gist of it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Excluding 2, which didn't happen, this is the most radical departure from the standard Tropico paradigm yet.

Dynasties sort of work like a globalized manager system. And you can change which member of the dynasty is presidente, which is a mechanic I haven't fully understood yet. I wouldn't call the dynasty system a major mechanic a major one, anyway.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Managers are pretty good and you shouldn't ignore them.

Dynasty... Eh, it's not the end of the world, but if you upgrade them you can get some pretty spiffy global bonuses.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Personally I never found it very realistic that El Presidente would be personally setting wages for every single drat miner on the island, so I'm fine with the new budget system in principle. I do agree that it'd be best to have budget and rent separate for residential building however.

But yeah, Tropico 5 is way harder than 4. If they ever fix tourism that might change, but right now it's pretty easy to turn your island into a loving hellhole just by banning too many people when your economy's weak.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It’s kind of silly that in the campaign, treasury surpluses don’t carry over from one mission to the next.

I guess it’s for balance, but buildings and Swiss Bank balance do carry over, so I’d be dumb not to spend it all before completing the objectives.

If you're just about to finish the objective, lay down a shitton of expensive buildings.

Then next time you're on that island, cancel them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I have the inverse problem, I'll import stuff below market just to flip it and it ends up sitting on the dock for years.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wallet posted:

I realize, now that I've typed that, that the conclusion that the more technologically advanced farm is better is probably incredibly obvious even without the numbers :downs:.

It's only better if you can keep it supplied with corn, though. I usually end up having to import the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wallet posted:

Much like Tropico 4, it seems like the biggest issue with Teamsters is that they often deliver poo poo and then lose their car, which leaves them driving to a dock to drop stuff off and then walking all the way back to where they work. If your teamsters seem to be taking forever to move poo poo right near their office, this is probably why. I'm not sure why the developers didn't bother to fix the teamsters being so lazy that they ship their car full of produce to another country instead of unloading it.

Intermodal transportation! It reduces turnaround times! :science:

Plop a garage in your dock area. Plop garages loving everywhere, basically.

• Locked thread