Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

As I play 4 while waiting for 5 to come out tomorrow, something came out of nowhere and struck me as a fix/feature I desperately want: less annoying tornadoes. Every other disaster is okay, poo poo happens and is broken and I can go back to fixing it. Tornadoes spend about a month on my map tearing poo poo up and I can't fix it despite life going on otherwise because they hang around like assholes.

My desire for this might have something to do with the fact that 3 tornadoes just snuck behind my defenses. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

escalator dropdown posted:

Looks like it's unlocked on Steam!

After a quick restart of Steam, it is indeed unlocked!

Installing now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So far things I've noticed:
  • very grid oriented
  • you can't build a college until the World War era (gaah)
  • 5 handles alt tabbing out a lot better than 4 (doesn't close every time like 4 does)
  • Penultimo got a new hat and moustache and voice actor. I miss the old Penultimo's VA already.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Orv posted:

Oh Tropico, how I have missed you. :allears:

The writing is still excellent, definitely on par with 4. :allears: New Penultimo is way too dignified for my tastes though. Love his stache and hat though.

Also, I just noticed that you can actually see what goods are piling up in your docks, so you know if that giant pile of loot you're about to offload is llama wool or oil or furniture made from exotic and endangered trees.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kammat posted:

I miss Sunny as the snarky female reporter too. Ah well.

Edit: Not picking out traits feels wrong for some reason. How am I gonna be a drunken womanizer who makes the ships come more often?

Yeah, the new lady DJ sounds kinda like Betty Boom, only not as stupid. Penultimo II's VA is growing on me. I loved his dorky lovableness in 4, but 5's Penultimo develops own sort of dignified dorkyness once you get out of the tutorial. He sounds like a right hand man that can actually get things done while still not a threat at all to El Presidente's rule.

Also, I managed to actually LOSE the election in the tutorial. :v:

"His magesty wants to exchange wood for sheep. Wood for sheep anyone?" I was not expecting a Cataan joke in Tropico.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 23, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So, there don't seem to be any jobs that are gender limited, besides maybe dancers for nightclubs and such. You can even have lady soldiers with awesome pilgrim hats in the colonial era!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Woo! Ranches in this game work like Organic Ranches in 4! Plonk it down, cattle stay in pens, no bitching about "not enough grazing area" if you build around them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Poil posted:

I... lost in a tutorial mission. The game told me to win the election and provided nothing useful to do so and started the election at 30% approval. And the only way to try again is to replay all the tutorials way back to the this is how you move the camera one. :psyduck:

Yeah, I had the same issue. I got up to 49% approval...then tanked to 40%. Even after I cut taxes.

IAmTheRad posted:

So, does the game feel like Tropico, or something else entirely? I know they changed the VA, and you can't directly control El Presidente anymore.

Still feels like Tropico. Some good new stuff, some bad new stuff, a lot of cleaned up stuff.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Right, make sure you've got a beefy military if you decide to give the crown the finger and try to fight them off. A single guard tower and a military fort is definitely not nearly enough.

a creepy colon posted:

This game has a poo poo ton of typos btw. Like they didnt proof-read any of the quotes and half the mission statements.

There's even typos in the Steam cards. It's hilariously stupid.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

canepazzo posted:

When in sandbox, are the era shifts inevitable? Could I stay indefinitely in (say) Colonial, provided I can get my mandate renewed, or do I eventually have to declare independence as there's no more mandates extensions?

They're not inevitable as far as I can tell, at least not the Colonial one. I haven't reached the others. If you really want you can sit there and keep buying extra years from the king instead of $$ or settler rewards. The revolution starts only when you say it starts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Lucinice posted:

I don't know if I'll ever get used to aged Penultimo.

Just consider him Penultimo Sr. The Penultimo from 4 is obviously Penultimo Jr. who tries his best to take after daddy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

Three years into my sandbox and

:sigh:

That said I'm having a lot of fun with it. Can't wait to get through a full game.

Oh man, don't tell me they still stick around for a loving month.

Anyways, beep beep, coming through! The ships actually have collision and will get stuck on each other.

Also, I suck at this and can barely keep my treasury in the black. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Speedball posted:

Really? Nice. I always just used bunkhouses for my miners, are those in?

Country Houses are the new Bunkhouses. Though you have to actually kinda have a choice early on between Country Houses (residents don't need food) and normal Homes (get a quality bonus the more are in a cluster).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

How's the writing in this compared to 4?

Same Writers as 4, so as everyone says it's just as good. You just have to get used to the new Penultimo, or as I consider him Penultimo Sr. He looks a lot like the old Penultimo but is nothing like him in personality or voice. Still funny though.

Also, this game does not gently caress around with military. In Tropico 4 it was trivial: keep people happy and build the occasional armory or guardpost to keep the gun-nuts happy then laugh every time the rebels get a hair up their rear end. Now? I had two barracks, a handful of guard towers and an army base for a brigade of tanks and thought I was king of poo poo mountain and probably spending a bit much on military.

Then the Axis took umbrage with me trading exclusively with the Allies and curbstomped me.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DheeradjS posted:

I managed to do that in the tutorial. I had to spend a few minutes rethinking my life.

I really like the Budget system. Teamsters at maximum budget are mad truckers even in the Colonial Era...

The tutorial election is incredibly easy to lose. It's a really nasty kick in the balls.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gorelab posted:

I just rigged the election. I figured that was the point.

I cut taxes, rigged it, tried to build a couple buildings to take care of some of the sore points of the people and still lost with only about 40% of the vote. I'm guessing I made the voting too permissive so I didn't just have the old boys club voting for me.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Davincie posted:

Are there actual interactive invasions now or is it still just a game over screen?

Invasions are basically rebel attacks, but bigger. As in rebels aren't nearly as likely to have armor, or as much armor.

Also, there's really no reason to rush through the colonial period. I just got the most awesome trade deal setup thanks to event: I can import half-priced gold from the pirates then sell it at an inflated price alongside well as the normal gold I get from my mine to the smugglers. I am going to milk this deal until the 11th hour of my royal mandate.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

loving gently caress gently caress...I finally managed to get myself more or less stable on WW era. You desperately need to get your highschool up ASAP. Make sure you have 7K in the bank before you switch eras so you can plop it down immediately, then give it all the money to make sure it fills up and stays filled up. You need highschool education to work anything profitable in WW era.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Man, I was killing poo poo in the WW era. Everything was going my way. Finished researching the stuff to make an alliance with the allies and as soon as I clicked on it I see Conditions: Survive Invasion...

gently caress

There's no cancelling the treaty at that point. No material support form the allies. Suddenly there's tanks on my goddam island. Whatever, this is gonna suck, but maybe I can make it out of this alive if I sacrifice a ton of buildings?

WRONG

"El Presidente, A huge wave is approaching!" *insert cutscene of a giant rear end tsunami hitting my island* When I regain control all my troops are gone and all of my military installations are flattened.

Well, I guess my most recent autosave was only two years back
:suicide:

Yeah, I wanna say any reviewer who bitched about this game being too easy to fail like 3/4 had to be playing the campaign or something, or the devs really upped difficulty in a very late patch. I gotta say I approve though because now you actually have to care about popularity and military beyond a token effort. It just takes a little getting used to.

Edit: Also a draught just hit. I'm so loving glad I just bought firetrucks for my police stations.

Edit 2: And 5's Penultimo demonstrates he is way more competent in this game. "We can make our army work better by putting the most incompetent offecers on the front lines and give them the brightest, most ornate uniforms we can."

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 24, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah, I can see what the reviewers are saying about difficulty because it's not hard to get to a point where you're making obscene amounts of cash. If I researched and deployed tanks before establishing that treaty I probably would have been just fine under normal conditions. I just hit the absolute extreme of RNG bad luck when a natural disaster hit at the worst possible time and wiped out the exact buildings I needed to maybe make it out of that situation alive.

Yeah, that's a pretty nasty combination. But yeah, there are some nasty pitfalls we now have to learn the hard way.

Personally I've been reeling from switching to WW era with professional army (soldiers must have high school education) after building up a nice army to give His Magesty the finger. It took me way too long to realize why I my factories weren't filling up: I hadn't built a highschool and all my highschool educated folks were busy filling out my bloated (for colonial) military.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

I was actually ready for that hurdle since I was used to rushing to cigar factories in T3 and 4 (requires HS) and was planning to do the same thing here. So I built a HS immediately after the transition and set the wage rate to max, and as soon as I saw a problem developing with my military/factories I built a second one.

Oh well, when I get back from vacation in a week I'll know to research tanks and then save before clicking on that treaty.

That's probably a good idea.

As someone who managed to scrape through the alliance battle though, I have to say it's totally worth it. Your allied faction starts dropping about $20K on you a year once you fight off the invasion.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gah, could they make finding oil any more frustrating? I scoured my island after I got the tech for it, couldn't find any, then tripped over a geyser next to one of my mine hubs. I've since scoured my island and the ocean and still can't find anymore. I miss 3 and 4 where you could hit a button and have oil deposits (as well as any and all other mineral deposits) shown easily. Having an option to light up and color code any and all revealed deposits were would be great.

Edit: Also it's really annoying that while the ore deposit disappears when used up, you still can't build on the spot.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 24, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Doesn't researching the compass reveal everything?

It reveals everything, but there's no easy map highlight. There's just white dots on the map for deposits. No indication what those white dots (that easily blend into the trapezoid showing your camera coverage) actually are.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

How long is it until the campaign puts me somewhere other than those two islands? I'm getting sick of them.

As soon as you put down the campaign and go play sandbox.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

WTF I had an uprising at 65% popularity!

People who are unemployed or homeless can become rebels even if every other part of their life is a train of coked up parties. If you're in the Cold War era, the superpower you're against really likes to do their best to agitate the rebels as well.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

So I setup an import only high-end economy. I have about 36 ships available to me, I have 25 assigned. This means every dock is generating a ship (18) plus the 25 I have assigned (43) and then tourist boats on top. The boat gridlock extends to the place where they clip in and the game has been reduced to a crawl on a beast of a machine. I beat Tropico 5 I think.

You can't just tell us about this and then not post pictures.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

There is like, a dozen boats that are just not moving there alone.

That isn't even including the ones that are moving.

I also have 2 other sets of docks that are just like that.

The game is entirely unplayable like this. It hitches and pulses and its entirely because of the boat poo poo.

That is magically hilarious to view.

Now we just need an image of Penultimo discovering the shovel 40 times. I imagine it's the Tropican version of Sideshow Bob stepping rakes. Either that or a crate just fell on him.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

Where the gently caress was that written?

It says in the mouse over when you get the ability to build them I believe. If not it's probably in the info page (can't check, currently in WW era on my game). But yeah, instead of using the land quality, factory farms use your corn.

I really, REALLY wish this game let you build warehouses that you could tell them to store X amount of material Y.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Yes please.

Build nuke plant and build uranium mine. Check nuke plant use. Cool, mine has enough to keep it running for like 20 years. 2 years later "Hey Presidente, we sold all the Uranium and the plant's useless." Import prices are way more than those idiots would have made selling. Not being able to ban certain exports is a huge and, frankly, baffling oversight.

Right now I've got a jewelry shop that gets maybe 1/3 of the gold my mine makes because my mine is on the rear end side of the island (I'm playing the map the tutorial is on which is basically a giant spiral) and my jeweler's shop is over where I have power. The rest of the gold is just being poured down the loving drain at the docks.

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, especially considering you can mark buildings as tourist-only or crops as "no citizens allowed." I'm not sure how the road network works in this game, could you do a hard workaround and, after building the mines, demolish the roads and make a little closed loop with a Nuclear Plant in it so the uranium isn't connected to your docks, then substations to connect it to your network? If you put up houses there, the AI seems smart enough now to put related citizens close to their places of work unlike in Tropico 4.

It seems to be such a strange oversite too. I'm honestly tempted to actually write to them about it because it would make the system so much easier to control.

And yeah, I think teamsters only use roads so if you're careful you can have a separate road network with a single teamster's union on it (and a temporary construction building) that's otherwise connected to nothing but mine(s) and the powerplant.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

And did anyone figure out how to level up manager skills? Is it even possible? I can't find anything on it.

I know you can use your Swedish account cash ($$) to upgrade your family members, which upgrades their manager skills. No clue how to upgrade generic peoples.

Also, I just had the best event. Build wastewater treatment plants to hide American missiles. Only, they're unstable and the only thing that will stabilize them is goat manure! Quick, build a goat ranch next to each one!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

gyrobot posted:

Still. Veronica Veneno can give Betty Boom a run for her money. We needed a corporate tool to offset Betty's I hate everything.

Lulu is a dumber version of Miss Pineapple with none of her charm.

And funny enough Comrade Vasquez shares the same surname as Evira. Wonder if it is father and daugyter or Husband and wife?

Lulu can really be described as a far less intolerable, almost funny Betty Boom that actually likes El Presidente (and anything supporting her bar). Seriously, I liked Juanito but Betty just made me grind my teeth because she really was not funny or entertaining at all. It was nothing more than "bitch bitch bitch. I don't care what you're doing this week, I don't like it."

With Sunny and Penultimo playing off of each other, and the entire voice cast of 4 making cameos in the radio messages, it really brought 4 alive. 5 is still a very, very good game and still has way more personality than almost every other city builder out there. It just kinda stings to see them falling back to a less vibrant cast of characters even with 4's writing still backing them.

The fact that they double up advisers is frustrating too. I can see the King's Caribbean magistrate being your diplomatic envoy and adviser, that kinda works, but then he also becomes your religious adviser? The rebel girl also being the Communist adviser/party leader makes senses as well, but then she's also the environmental adviser who wants me to destroy all my factories. The new Penultimo does a lot, but then he's also your right hand man so it makes sense (even though Miss Pineapple would be soooo much better for your research talking head).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

This game is great, but a handful of spots where I lack any control (mainly the inability to simply arrest someone like in 3/4 or CONTROL MY loving EXPORTS) is driving me up the wall.

It's great to see my jewelry shop run at a loss because the teamsters hauling gold drive right on by.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Poil posted:

If you set a ship to import with an upgraded customs house you'll buy the resources for cheaper than what your teamster morons are exporting your domestic for. :downs:

You still need to get lucky on getting a cheap import deal. Even with an upgraded customs house my best gold import deal is $50 more per 1k than the actual price of gold ($25,550 compared to $25,500) Great, but still a loss if my teamsters decide to be stupid and put the gold in the next dock over.

Seriously, a warehouse building that you could chose to stockpile certain resources, or outright ban the export of resources (uranium! :argh:) would be great, or just have the teamster AI have an incredibly heavy preference on filling your factories first.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gah, I hate when I forget upgrades. I just sent a bunch of colonial marines against a tank column because I forgot to upgrade one of my colonial forts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

This uranium is for Tropico first and only:

P.S.: This actually works! At least for power plants. It doesn't work for factories since they still have to be connected to the main network for export.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Captain Mediocre posted:

edit: haha wow, ok that right there is a great solution. thanks.

You have to connect it to your main network temporarily to at least build the buildings (you need a mine, a teamster's office and at least one nuke plant) as nothing can build if not connected to a network with a construction office. Even quick building doesn't work if there's no constructor access. Afterwards you can just rip up the road.

Edit: no, wait, I'm stupid. You're only allowed a single nuclear plant. Idea still works though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So, "No free meals" edict makes your grocery stores and supermarkets vomit cash. Mix it with Social Security and make sure there aren't too many unemployed and suddenly your money problems are a lot easier to deal with.

Edit: Also, leave some space between buildings in colonial era for Historical Inns. Cultural tourists go ga-ga near old Catholic Misisons, Libraries, Opera Houses, etc. Though old colonial forts don't seem to help sadly.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gah. Need more highschool graduates! You can't ever have enough highschool grads once you get to the Modern era.

I have 4 running now, all working at 275-300% efficiency and I STILL don't have enough highschool educated Tropicans, especially now that I have hydro-farms.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Holy poo poo, the amount of money a building makes when switched to "tourist only" mode is insane. Buildings fill up in no time and make money 2-3 times as fast as the ones your Tropicans are allowed to use.

Edit: Does the game ever end if you don't set a win condition? I'm sitting around at 2016 just twiddling my thumbs.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Right, set my game to fastest speed and waited until the autosave hit as the game flipped from Dec 2050 to Jan 2051. It seems that sandbox games do indeed not end unless you actually set a win condition. I kinda liked 3 and 4's time limit (not that they tended to be much of an actual limit).

• Locked thread