Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah when the buildings in a chain are like, next door to each other, there ought to be some kind of limited pickup radius. Like really you should be able to run logs to the lumber mill without a teamster.

Unions, I guess.

I finished the campaign and I guess I'll do a sandbox playthrough, although I do feel kind of like I've experienced most things the game had to offer. I would've liked to spend more time in colonial or modern times. By the later stages my islands would be so built up that whatever mission goals would get fulfilled pretty fast so I didn't get to play with hydroponics farms etc. that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Dunno-Lars posted:

Thank you for the pictures, it looks gorgeous!

You should get those homeless people a home Escalator, 19 homeless is quite a few. Ignoring that it is 1%.

Never had the patience to make huge towns in 4. The best I made was a city totally self sufficient from selling insurance to eachother. The only thing that made money was offices, selling insurance. Imported all the food I needed, and everyone was happy. Best insured place on earth however. Is it possible to recreate this in 5?

There are offices that make money based on surrounding population like in 4, and you can import food, so maybe.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You really have to set your own goals in the game, it's too easy if you are just playing it straightforward. So console yourself with that, I guess?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Do global bonuses always apply? I was thinking maybe the member had to be Presidente to get the global bonus.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I like pharmaceuticals for not having an input and being a healthcare booster, plus the building looks cool. Needs power, though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah being a democracy is pretty overpowered in terms of your capacity to banish crime lords, so long as your approval across all groups (not just voters depending on what you have selected) is high. Still can't indiscriminately gun down every rebel in the street, sadly.

Sardonik posted:

What's the most solid way to reduce unrest? I can't seem to figure it out, I've tried appeasing the different factions, different constitutional traits, offering amnesty, and yet I still have to fight off annoying rebel attacks.

Not using banish/assassinate too much and make sure none of your measures of happiness gets too low.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They dig deeper if you buy the additional upgrade that becomes available when you build an automated mine.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You get the one shot at increasing them all with the geological survey edict, but frankly by the time everything is gone you should be pretty bored with the island, unless you really like mines and your island is some kind of shack dotted open strip mine hellscape.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you have that customs house upgrade it's great as well.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

For revolutionary sentiment, research constitution or building a newspaper are frequently what put me over the top.

As to your economic question, maybe you don't have enough high schools to support factories right, or maybe you are having supply chain issues (not enough raw goods, not enough teamsters, stuff in the same chain spread out too much).

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 9, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think because they feel it gives the proper 'flavor' to tenements. I would imagine there is a floor to the max decay and you can raise the rent to improve quality (although I guess that would price some folks out). But yeah, based on what people have been able to mod so far I would bet there is a way to mod that out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think the housing/tenement size difference is to reflect that apartments probably have multiple rooms, whereas it's probably 1 room per family in a tenement. Or less if you crowd them in.

Of course from a gameplay perspective, a mod makes sense.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I find that traffic plays a factor later on. Make sure you have more than one way to get into and out of your production areas. Also use commuting edict and try to build metro, although for some reason metro doesn't seem to work as well as it used to.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The creamery is a colonial era industry goods building, so that's cool if you want to eke the max out of colonial times I guess. The map for the mission is super tiny.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

FractalSandwich posted:

It's not mentioned in the patch notes, so I need to test it more, but it looks like they might have fixed the issue with your imports immediately getting exported again.

I think they fixed that in the last patch a month or so ago.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Tahirovic posted:

I tried it once and it was really fun but I ended up running out of missions for increases. I guess what you want to do is priorize those missions and always pick the longest term increase, until you run out of luck.

At some point I think lord oakwood says "hey you've pretty much run out of opportunities for extensions, so you might want to go on and declare independence."

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Odobenidae posted:

I recall someone doing some testing from a few pages back saying that the best ratio was 2:1 raw material:factory for most goods.

There's really not a hard and fast optimal ratio given the wildly different effectiveness ratings based on placement, upgrades, budget, managers, etc.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Wallet posted:

Effectiveness is linear, so a 200% effectiveness field should match up with a 100% industrial building or whatever.

Yes, sure, I just mean there's not a hard and fast ratio of raw resource to factory.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Which is the type of revolt that still occurs even if you have the "democracy" constitution option selected, and what causes it?

You'll still get rebel attacks, is that what you mean? People become rebels if one of their needs isn't met for a while or if you piss them off directly in some way. You can also have a coup. Democracy just stops protesters.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It actually sounds like a cool expansion! I usually play for a couple days whenever a new DLC comes out, but this one might keep me interested a while. Especially if it fixes some of the late-game problems that gradually ruin the fun of an island.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The cheese factory also has an upgrade that provides entertainment for workers.

I think the HQ just provides an infantry squad that's equal to the death squad (upgraded palace guards), and then a level above that when upgraded. I think also if you do its mission chain it buffs all your troops.

The asylum is just too hard to get a handle on how well it works and also seriously pollutes your manager list if you get its upgrade for that (like every citizen is a manager).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I sent Penultimo and he thought it was a lousy excuse that he couldn't see their leader because he was "sleeping." But he did come back with some free fishing trawlers!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Alkydere posted:

While it's probably not as bad as before, the utterly infuriating inability to do ANYTHING about the rebels persists.

Create a "worker's paradise" with all the food you can eat (even if you have to pay for it), subsidized housing, social security, and literacy, with no homelessness and minimal unemployment? REVOLT! Assassinate the leader, or even better discredit him with the Asylum built? More rebels show up! 75+% approval rating? MORE ASSAULTS ON THE PALACE! Everything you do to try to stamp down on the unrest makes MORE unrest, I swear making your population happy and well fed just gives them more leisure time to revolt.

Also, FFS, you already have the "don't use resource locally" for resources. Add a "Don't loving export this you dipshits!" option Kalypso!

All I ask is a happy median between 4's "Tropico's most endangered species: the wild Rebel" and 5's current setting where El Presidente not having the time to personally feed someone's kitten enough to make them revolt.

I think a lot of it depends on how your constitution and edicts are set. If you have consistently low relations with one faction it's going to generate some rebels, and factions care a lot about those settings. Put another way, if you want a marriage equality stem cell researching pot smoking libertopia it's going to make some people made enough to go into the jungle and take up arms.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I had a hojillion soldiers from one of the quests leading up to it and I didn't even notice there had been a fight, because I was having another fight at the time (you don't annex tropico, russia. WE annex YOU.)

Professional military is always one of my last steps because I am usually struggling to keep my high school required manufacturing jobs going while economy building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I perma set all dock workers and teamsters to max wages, don't gently caress with those guys.

Cool article.

• Locked thread