Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I always felt that the citizens were the coolest element of Tropico, and I hope they can do some additional interesting stuff with them this time around. They worked well for the economic and social sim aspect, but it seemed like they didn't have any special personality, besides a few random variables determining how they felt about you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Citizens are the best thing, agent systems aren't that great but it's worked well in Tropico because at least they aren't shackled to roads like they are in other games (looking at you SimCity). My only issue with them has always been that travel times in games like this are the worst, the implementation of a day/night cycle where people work 8 hours and then go home would be beneficial so my gold miners aren't always walking back to the city and starving on the way.

I'm really not sure about the dynasty system though, it's either going to be amazing or a complete wash. If they model them on the map and let them be the target of assassinations and rebel attacks that will be good. But I have the feeling they'll be abstracted and the best thing we can hope for is a Medieval 2: Total War style family tree where you get to click on a guy and assign him a job or whatever, I hope I'm wrong though.

Plus if they can work in other powerful families and oligarchs that will be really cool. Someone owning a plantation on the edge of your city with a big mansion, forcing you to use bribes and agents to keep them happy or under your thumb. This would be a cool way to model politics as well, your closest ally's son is a communist, and if he inherits he's going to bring a lot of money and power to their faction. So you can deal with that or risk angering his dad, your closest ally, by assassinating him.

Yeah they pretty much have to keep the agent system where people spend a lot of commuting from place to place to fill all their needs, and eventually head into the office for a minute's work before they get bored and waddle over to the bar. The economy is relaxed enough that usually it's okay if no one's working at the factory at any moment, but I hope that Kalypso is working on ways to keep the aggravation factor down -- maybe some kind of mechanic where you can pay for production or work to be done? It would also be interesting to see some kind of private businesses that actually have a profit motive, foreign investment, etc. Whatever the changes to the economy I hope they're ambitious, because Tropico 4 has effectively the same ancient economics as the first game.

e: And we need some quality of life improvements like boulevards and buses, or something so you don't have to spend all your time micromanaging workers' errand patterns, but that goes without saying

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 29, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

Man, there is a giant leap going from colonial to world wars. Adding houses for the well off people and now I'm wondering on food supplies (or does grocery stores magically make food?). Kind of interesting as you switch out of the colonial homes with their free food gardens. How do you guys deal with industry at that point too? I'm assuming more specialized versus a broad array of goods? My logging camps are starting to fall out as expected because I'm not bothering with the reforestation perk and plan to close the mill.

Colonial industry is just the lumber mill which doesn't make much money, so logging camps aren't all that important after the era change. They're really cheap anyway, so I've been demolishing them as needed when I build out my town. But since the better factories need literate workers, there's an education bottleneck -- I guess it's best to set up a high school first thing when you reach the new era, and probably a second one as soon as it's practical, so you can get the high-profit industries going. I don't think there's a lot of reasons to specialize in one factory type.

Food supplies aren't really an issue as long as you plunk down a few plantations and wharves as you expand across the island. Groceries don't produce food, but they're really useful, not least because they can distribute imported food as well, if you need it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is anyone else experiencing crazy input lag on some maps, where the game is running smoothly but the cursor is unusable? I think it's due to the fact that I'm using a wireless keyboard with trackpad, so it's possible that Logitech's software has some interaction with the game, but it's not happening in other titles.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I played out a huge sandbox game to the 2,000 population limit and I think the game kinda breaks towards the end. There's no endgame content once you unlock all the techs, and there's weird effects like all the uneducated jobs drying up once you build hydro farms everywhere. I'd pay for a late-game DLC to give you some interesting events and goals once you have fancy buildings everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ray and Shirley posted:

Still on the fence about this one. I'm most interested in the political simulation. Is this aspect richer than the previous titles? Also, detailed information on just how dynasties work/impact the game seems hard to come by - at least from the LPs I've been watching. Can anyone point me to more detailed coverage of this info?

Frankly I worry that this is just another money grab like with Tropico 4.

I would say that politics are not emphasized in this version. There's a faction system but it's easy to keep them all happy with trivial quests to build something, and it's similarly easy to keep foreign powers happy. The dynasty system is strange -- while I expected something that would give you different rulers in different eras, apparently there's nothing to stop one guy from ruling for over a century. Instead the dynasty is a bunch of characters that you can take from game to game, and in-game you get chances to upgrade dynasty members or gain new ones. Sometimes dynasty members will die by event, but otherwise you get to keep them and upgrade them over time.

• Locked thread