Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I hate to say it but the torture makes sense in a horrific way. If magic power is derived from memories then I would expect clearer and more vivid memories to yield more energy. What could be more vivid and deeply etched than memories of torture? Not to mention that such memories can be easily and reliably created. Ugh. :smith:

Yeah, Zita says this verbatim. She also notes that they used sensitive young girls for maximum effect. :smithicide:

Gotta say, this show has really thrown off the kid gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Man, Toru just destroyed Akari at the start. It's kind of amazing how far he apparently outclasses her. I guess I can see that, especially since a hammer is one of the easiest weapons in the world to use (especially compared to dual wire knives), so that's a good indication she's not as skilled, but... I expected it to be more of an even fight, not "if he could kill her, then it'd have ended in a minute."

Best show of the season. It's incredibly solid throughout, and then it hits a fight scene and it's amazing. And I usually don't really care about fight scenes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Einander posted:

Man, Toru just destroyed Akari at the start. It's kind of amazing how far he apparently outclasses her. I guess I can see that, especially since a hammer is one of the easiest weapons in the world to use (especially compared to dual wire knives), so that's a good indication she's not as skilled, but... I expected it to be more of an even fight, not "if he could kill her, then it'd have ended in a minute."

Best show of the season. It's incredibly solid throughout, and then it hits a fight scene and it's amazing. And I usually don't really care about fight scenes.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that he beat her relatively easily in that first fight, though to be fair it was more there to show that Toru isn't the stone cold hardass he wants people to think he is. I did get the impression over the course of the show that she was more on the scouting, logistics, and actual sabotage side of being a saboteur rather than a straight up fighter like Toru, though. I don't know how the light novels or manga go, but it would be kind of neat if Akari ends up being a persistent antagonist in the second season, like if the mind control doesn't break even when the wizard is killed or something. She has at least managed to feel more threatening than any of the other enemies so far.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah, Zita says this verbatim. She also notes that they used sensitive young girls for maximum effect. :smithicide:

Well. It has been proven to be effective.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Man Frederica got owned two episodes in a row can't she catch a break?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She's the Worf.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

chumbler posted:

Welp, Guy is unquestionably Gaz's ghost or servant or something
My guess is he's the avatar of that creature Layla was talking to in flashback.
Speaking of, I like how monstrous the monsters are in this show. Like, I figured it would just be some dragon/sea serpent thing but then you get a flash of its features and :stonk:

And I audibly went "oh poo poo" when the vent-spider appeared.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 19, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I loving panicked and froze when I saw that critter. I'm not going to make a very effective monster hunter.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Barent posted:

Man Frederica got owned two episodes in a row can't she catch a break?

That's what happens when you roll a natural 1 on your Reflex saves.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Mordja posted:

My guess is he's the avatar of that creature Layla was talking to in flashback.
Speaking of, I like how monstrous the monsters are in this show. Like, I figured it would just be some dragon/sea serpent thing but then you get a flash of its features and :stonk:

And I audibly went "oh poo poo" when the vent-spider appeared.

It was the human legs dropping through the vent that took it from 'oh, monster' to 'wow this is hosed up' which was pretty neat. The unicorn at the beginning was pretty intense but this was actually creative.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This episode got a little darker than I'm entirely comfortable with. While the show has always had dark undertones, this feels more in keeping with 40k fanfiction. I'm assuming Layla is going to be the new main villain, because I'm definitely rooting for her and the S.S. Elliot to go down in flames.

Great animation on the vent-beast, and I did like Akari's casual sword-toss to ruin Tori's grappling hook. I also note that Chaika sniffed, but did not drink any of Layla's presumably poisoned tea.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Just try and remember happier times until we see what happens next week.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Toru's got some fuckin' sweet skills. If he wasn't direly outnumbered he could easily take Akari I'd think.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Did you miss the part where he basically killed Akari in the first 30 seconds of fighting? He stopped his knife because he didn't actually want to stab through her brain.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

It makes sense that the writers took Fredrica out of the picture right away last episode. A loving dragon on your side means no tension. They'd just waltz up to the bad guys and she'd kill them.

Seeing Toru handle Akari was nice too. It's nice to have a capable protagonist every once in a while.

Looks like the neck scars are a significant thing after all. I wonder how they make all the Chaika heads? I imagine some kind of Creepy Crawler mold thingy, but they put in the goop and out comes a Chaika head.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dan7el posted:

It makes sense that the writers took Fredrica out of the picture right away last episode. A loving dragon on your side means no tension. They'd just waltz up to the bad guys and she'd kill them.

Seeing Toru handle Akari was nice too. It's nice to have a capable protagonist every once in a while.

Looks like the neck scars are a significant thing after all. I wonder how they make all the Chaika heads? I imagine some kind of Creepy Crawler mold thingy, but they put in the goop and out comes a Chaika head.

I'm assuming they take a bunch of girls and do the medieval-fantasy equivalent of plastic surgery on them. The scars are from that.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Dan7el posted:

The latest episode showed us that Chaikas are fully formed without their scar, and receive it during their meeting with the giant ocean monster when they experience the dying memories of Gaz

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So I was thinking of picking this up and I looked around a bit for more info on it....

Is it true that the main character and his gang are basically running around trying to pick up the remaining bits of Not!Exodia The Forbidden one in order to give him a burial that might actually just lead to his resurrection or some poo poo? The MC is the villain in this case?

I'm not sure if I'm interested in an anime like that at this point.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Artificer posted:

So I was thinking of picking this up and I looked around a bit for more info on it....

Is it true that the main character and his gang are basically running around trying to pick up the remaining bits of Not!Exodia The Forbidden one in order to give him a burial that might actually just lead to his resurrection or some poo poo? The MC is the villain in this case?

Maybe? Maybe even probably that's where it's going or rather that's were it's probably supposed to go, given that the main characters aren't actually terrible people and calling them villains doesn't really apply, that plan will be disrupted in some way as it's discovered.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Artificer posted:

We have no idea what will happen if all the remains are gathered. The MC is not particularly villainous. He just likes finally having a job and the chance to use his skills. If this show hasn't sold you on itself by the end of the second episode it probably isn't for you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Saboteurs are essentially ninjas without any of the baggage that term carries.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Artificer posted:

Well, the main characters are child soldiers trained as saboteurs, and of course there is no work for them in a world of peace. MC is totally cool with the possibility of not-Exodia being resurrected by accident because it will lead the world to to war again, where he and his sister's skills will actually be of use again and he can actually become employable.

MC isn't a villain, but think of the seried as a D&D campaign where half the party is chaotic neutral (Chaika's more lawful neutral I guess, and Frederika's at least lawful evil).
It's got some really nice fight scenes and the characters are pretty competent and likeable. Definitely try out a few episodes before you dismiss it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
It's also one of those shows with a general upward trend in quality, there are a couple potholes but for the most part the show has been getting more and more interesting, the last episode in particular was really good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well that's a hell of an episode to end on. Obviously massive spoilers: Our worst fears were proven wrong in the best way possible. Freddie is even more the best character in the best dnd campaign. However Gillette was not so lucky, but I suppose that is to be expected of a disposable razor :downsrim:. We also get some hint now as to how Chaikas come about. Poor Vivi :(.

Freddie suggests that Toru contract with her to become a dragoon knight, but I can't be alone in hoping that it ends up being Akari instead so that she gets to actually do something, and each episode next season being the Freddie and Akari power half-hour would be great.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 26, 2014

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
I am really happy that this is getting another season.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Gilette is totally alive. If you look right before he gets magic beamed, there are two version of Guy hanging out on either side of him.

Also facehugger Frederica was amazing.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 26, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

A satisfying end to the season, but I liked the fight with that knife brat despite it not being much of a 'fight': stand up, turn and stab. :stonklol:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

HiveCommander posted:

A satisfying end to the season, but I liked the fight with that knife brat despite it not being much of a 'fight': stand up, turn and stab. :stonklol:

There was also Akari's walk up and crush a dude's skull in.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

korrandark posted:

Best Gif
That little scream she made as she bursts out is just perfect.
Going from this episode, I think I've figured out the purpose of the Iron Blood thing - it's just a passive endurance bonus to overcome fatigue. The first time we saw him use it, he was malnourished, and the second time he used it was to move a heavy coffin for hours. Here he only triggers it after hours of exhausting combat.

I'm completely on board for season 2.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Good ending to a good show. All three villains getting one-shot was pretty hilarious. Facehugger Frederica is adorable.

So Gilette-sama~ girl was a Chaika in disguise the whole time. Didn't see that one coming. In retrospect I guess they always had the same face but in anime that's not generally something that stands out.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 26, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

korrandark posted:

Here's an even longer version of the Best Thing

and another spoiler involving that same character:

That was a great ending to a what turned out to be a pretty great show, can't wait for the fall and season two.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

a kitten posted:

Here's an even longer version of the Best Thing
The way the first gif loops, it's like Akari looks away afterwards in pained resignation. "Again. I can't believe she did it again."

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That last knife fight perfectly encapsulates the fighting direction of this show. Also Frederica is the best, despite the ending part being totally shades of Scrapped Princess.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Great show, great last episode, Frederica is the best character. That is all.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I thought I would be annoyed when Frederica was inevitably revived but a Chibi-Frederica chest-bursting out of her own corpse is enough to forgive everything. Never stop being awesome Frederica. :allears:

The knife fight was great, Tooru just baiting in that smug little gently caress and gut stabbing him, then Akari walking up to mage dude and just braining him and Frederica just going slaughter house on the spider human hybrids. The fighting is just so great in this show, flashy when it should be, straight forward when it should be, the characters are generally intelligent about when and how they fight, it's just a joy to watch. :)

I can't wait for season two. :haw:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
That was a really good episode to end the season on. Just enough plot hooks for the next season while still wrapping the current story arc up quite nicely and all the main characters got a chance to shine, even Chaika. Really looking forward to picking the show back up in the Fall.

Chest Bursting Frederica was great, and it was so carthetic letting everyone come back and one-shot their assigned nemesis after the last two episodes. I really like how all the main characters in this show are smart characters.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

madmac posted:

That was a really good episode to end the season on. Just enough plot hooks for the next season while still wrapping the current story arc up quite nicely and all the main characters got a chance to shine, even Chaika. Really looking forward to picking the show back up in the Fall.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I'm seeing some suggestions that Vivi may be a Chaika focused on infiltrating. She's definitely been the strongest proponent of hunting and killing the other Chaikas, and she's in a good position to intercept any remains confiscated by the civil protection agency. If this turns out to be the case, every background character ever seen is a confirmed Chaika.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Hehe.

quote:

That last knife fight perfectly encapsulates the fighting direction of this show. Also Frederica is the best, despite the ending part being totally shades of Scrapped Princess.

I have to admit, this show has been giving me an extremely vague desire to go back and watch Scrapped Princess. It's been a looong time since I've seen it. All I really remember anymore is that it was pretty good and the twist. Coffin Princess wins hands-down on action direction though, in part just because two ninja's, a dragon-thing, and a magic sniper rifle is way more interesting then fairly generic fighter+wizard.

Even though this show is (hopefully) going in a different direction, it still weirds me out a little how similar the initial set-up is, two kick-rear end siblings protecting a princess that isn't what she seems and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Hey, Chaika just shines.

loving. Wrecked. Tooru just stabbing Shinji in the gut was great, and fitting given the character. I'm glad we don't have to deal with smug little psychopath anymore.

Fredericka being Fredericka is great as well. :allears:

• Locked thread