Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

twistedmentat posted:

Well, I always thought that FemShep and Carol had a lot in common. Pretty sure Captain Marvel would totally just left hook everyone if given the chance.

Man, you know Carol Danvers has about 200 hours on Mass Effect 2 and some strong opinions about the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

She's a big enough dork to do that. Though do you mean 3? 2 had a pretty solid ending for being the middle of a trilogy.

Yeah, I more or less meant 3.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm not joking when I say I'd love if the solo Captain marvel series pretty much turns into Marvel Mass Effect with a rag tag group of misfits running around saving the galaxy.

I kinda hope Rhodey ends up out in space with her at some point. Iron Patriot's not a bad book but I could stand to see more of Carol and Rhodey hanging out.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Well, then you need Monica Rambeau, and Blue Marvel's a Korean War veteran, I think.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I think they're quietly grooming Fialkov for something.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

If I were registering on these forums today, I would be forced by circumstance to use the handle of Rumpus Dungeon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I kinda like the Ascendants from this week's Avengers World. Glad to see somebody got around to doing something with the Monkey King from that one-shot during Fear Itself.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm not sure it docks any "diversity points" when a guy who thought he was Irish/Mexican is actually Some Other White Guy/Mexican.

His mom actually kinda kicked rear end, as I recall.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Archyduke posted:

Going off not much more than the Alan Moore Captain Britain and the Claremont/Davis and then Davis Excalibur runs, I wouldn't necessarily choose Captain Britain as a guy involved in making important, secret decisions. Maybe his characterization has evolved over the past 25 years, but I wouldn't even choose him as a guy involved in making breakfast. That initial stretch of Excalibur seemed particularly bent on making him look stupid and rash at any opportunity.

He's chilled out pretty hard and he's stopped drinking since then. Check out Paul Cornell's Captain Britain and MI:13 comic sometime.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Goon posted:

With all of the major changes happening in the Marvel Universe - Thor Woman and Armless Odinson, Black Captain America and geriatric Steve, Super-Evil Iron Man, dead Wolverine, dead brainless Xavier, Brainiac Hulk, etc. etc. - anyone who thinks Marvel isn't moving towards a line-wide reboot in a year or so is delusional.

All of these characters have gone through changes in the past that are at least as significant, and have done so without anyone pushing a reset switch. I'd imagine if you sat down and tracked the characters' progress since the '80s or so, there would not be too many windows of time in which all of them were operating strictly according to their "iconic" status quo: Rhodey in the armor, Tony "dead" due to that neural virus he had for a while in the '90s, Eric Masterson as Thor, John Walker as Cap, Thor crammed awkwardly into a set of magical armor because Hela cursed him, Cap-Wolf, Iron Cap, the post-Fall of the Mutants "Australia period" for the X-Men, Thor dying in Ragnarok during Avengers Disassembled, Xavier stuck in space banging Lilandra for ten years, etc.

As I understand it, the DC "New 52" reboot was the result of an ultimatum from Time-Warner to clean up the comics' act and turn around the sales decline, lest the entire company get dismantled. There's no such impetus at Marvel that I'm aware of.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I can understand why some people don't care for Salvador Larroca's art, but man, the first few pages of this week's Mighty Avengers were magnificently creepy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

None of the writers at Marvel are interested in using Xavier. It's why he was killed off.

I don't think it's just that. It's that Xavier has traditionally been a problem for writers because of his powers, which is why he's spent so much time off the board. If you just let him exist quietly by himself in the narrative, either anti-telepath technology comes free in specially-marked boxes of Trix cereal or you need to have the X-Men fighting robots every week, or else Xavier solves everything by himself.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

AVENGERS & X-MEN: COFFEEKLATSCH
GERRY DUGGAN (W) * JOHN ROMITA JR. (A)
Cover by DAVID AJA
* It's a slow month.
* All the villains are in jail, all the secret societies are destroyed.
* Captain America and Storm go out for coffee. Kitty Pryde wants a bagel.
* Can Ian Rogers handle the powerful flavor of the pumpkin spice latte?
* Seriously, that's it.

fanboys everywhere posted:

IS THIS MARVEL'S CRISIS?!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Is that the Ultimate version of Cap? I thought our Cap was Steve Rogers, and he's reverted to what he was in House of M, old vet codger.

Ian is his adopted son from the Zola dimension, and will apparently be the new Nomad once All-New Cap gets off the ground.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

If you've been skipping Avengers World due to Nick Spencer, the last few pages of today's issue are actually weirdly heartwarming.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

(sidenote, have any of the secret warriors besides Daisy and Manifold been prominent since the end of the series?)

Druid's shown up a couple of times as Daisy and Maria's go-to "magic guy" at SHIELD.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

What the hell is going on in the main Captain America title? I enjoyed the last volume and I enjoy Sam as Cap, but this run seems all over the place.

I find that Remender in full Remender mode is so dense that I have to reread at least the previous issue before the current issue makes a damned bit of sense.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Not quite yet. He shot himself in April 1994, so they've got a few weeks left until they turn 21.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm not sure what part of Doom's plan required all the Black Swans to dress in bangin' club gear.

I can only assume that wherever Doom goes, Doom is in the VIP room.

• Locked thread