Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

EVGA Longoria posted:

Also, have we heard about the Ivory King before now? Or did Hickman just drop another one on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

Anyone have a good clear art piece of Hickman's Avengers or Illuminati as a full team/roster? I'm having a hard time finding one and I was kinda hoping there'd be a Francis Yu or Copiel or Cheung or Immonen piece.
The first few covers of Avengers form a multi-page spread showing drat near everybody.

edit:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 5, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

There's a couple of references to what happened there and it tying a bit into A/NA.
The Bridge that Reed constructed is certainly a main connection.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I do love NA's increasingly futile attempt to cram all the relevant backstory into the one-page paneled recap.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

So I guess Thanos is getting out of that wack rear end crystal prison then.
That was never actually in doubt.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Starsnostars posted:

I wonder if we'll see Thane and Ebony Maw again in Hickman's run or if they're stuck over in Inhumanity.
I couldn't care less about Thane, but Ebony Maw was a pretty interesting guy--I'd definitely like him to play a larger role at some point again.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

So this book is a metaphor for how DC is using New 52 to save their dying world but then Marvel NOW comes along and wrecks them, right?
Impossible: Hope does not exist in the DCNu.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

Yup, but since whatever did this laid The Living Tribunal out there's approximately jack and poo poo Uatu could have done anyway.
Sure would like to come back to that one day!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

First Bass posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the current timeline of Avengers stuff and tie-ins straight. Is it Cap and the Illuminati stop an Incursion but break the Infinity Gauntlet in the process, then they mind-wipe Cap > Uatu gets ganked, Orb uses the Watcher's eye like a flashbang and then Cap realizes that Tony had Strange clean his clock > Cap goes to confront Tony with a bunch of Avengers, then the Time Gem that Cap broke/disappeared reappears and whisks them off to the future and finally > the Illuminati is now confronting the not-JLA at an Incursion point? I look at it and it doesn't seem right. I am so confused.
But also correct! High-fives all around.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I think it was a flash forward but some of the designs might have not been finalized yet.
That's what I'm thinking. Hickman probably knew they'd be fighting the JL at some point down the road, but hadn't finalized/come up with the specifics yet. Obviously, there is no WW analogue (well, yet, at least--I guess she could still show up, but I doubt it), and they're in a wide open desert instead of next to a metropolis, as shown, as well.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 17, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

First Bass posted:

Anyways, I've seen panels floating around that elaborate more on the Great Society (their name for one), and also somewhere the Illuminati of alternate Earths with alternate Mr. Fantastics giving the same speech as well as an errant Sun God going off-script; is that NA #20, or am I missing something?
The Reed speeches are collected from a few NA issues, but mostly from...#12/13 on?

The Sun God speech is from #16.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dammit Who? posted:

So maybe I missed something at the beginning, but the whole business with the incursions was that all the Earths are in roughly the same place in their own universes, right?
Honestly, I don't see why that would be the case at all. EVERYTHING else changes from universe to universe throughout the infinite, I don't see why that of all things would be locked in stone orbit. Happy to be shown as wrong, but I really don't think that really specifically matters. I think it's simply more that Earths are locking onto each other like magnetic balls across planes of time and space.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 23, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I certainly didn't expect Norn to end up being Not Timothy Hunter.

And yea, that Annual. More of that, please!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Oh no Harry Potter!
I kind of wish that all of the items spilling out were all Horcrux analogues.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Magnificent posted:

The idea of a moral quandary doesn't work so well in fiction when I know that the writer created the quandary.
The nerve of those writers, coming up with ideas.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

I still want to see him involved in the climaxes.
Considering his earlier Latveria incursion, I think this is all but eventually guaranteed.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

That's not what he said. Everything is going to happen and he can't change it because he's Captain America, and because of

*THAT* he's going to do his thing, and everything is going to play out how it plays out. He's basically saying "You should stop trying to be Captain America about all this but, well, you are Captain America. Here we are I guess.". Amusingly we know that Captain America isn't going to be Captain America in a bit, so who knows....maybe Cap actually did hear him.
Maybe Cap will ABOUT to be Cap, but then the bomb goes off and Future Ultron ends up saving the day.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Only because I can't remember: Has it been clarified just how long these incursions across the multi-v have been occurring? Was it like thousands of years but they're now just making their way to 616 with any regularity?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 10, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

No I think it's a new thing. The breakdown between universes is what alerted the Alephs and caused them to go on a warpath towards earth to try and stop them.
Okay. It does seem as if the...larger-scale figures involved have been entrenched for a pretty long time though--the mapmakers, the Ivory Kings, and all the other Giant Scary End Bosses we've only caught glimpses of.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Time is fluid and we just saw some mapmakers get developed by AIM. I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually saw the Ivory Kings get set into motion as well.
Right. But they were still (this is going to get messy) "created" long after the incursions even began, so where/when they eventually end up would still have to be way in the past, to eventually (in their future, our past) become the feared blue-sky planet vultures they're known currently as. (told you)

I completely expect to see the Ivory Kings "begin" as well, and I imagine that they'll get knocked back in time*...somehow, but the incursions still have to have been going on for a long time for them to be such, I dunno, portents and guys behind the curtain.

*or another version of the Illuminiti was at fault in the past or something, which is actually more likely.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 10, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

...gee, if only the Illuminati had some sort of backup planet that was, say, somehow comic-book-science-y 'merged' with their Earth that they could either sacrifice in Earth's place or possibly evacuate to or something... some kind of 'rogue planet,' say, possibly one sent backwards in time by someone cagey and near-omnipotent like, oh, Franklin Richards...
Well, that solves one incursion.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

My understanding was that in universes where Earth was destroyed, incursions didn't threaten them anymore. Hence the point of Infinity.
Oh oh, I gotcha.

laaaaaate edit: well, the incursions would still be happening elsewhere/when, so it would still be an issue eventually, even if somehow 616 earth was destoryed but backed up or whatever.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 11, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

New Avengers should be renamed Namor Gets poo poo Done.
Any difference whether to read A or NA first?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Starsnostars posted:

New Avengers was great although the shift to Larroca for the final few pages was jarring as his art looks nothing like Schiti's.
Now now, I'd say Larroca's art is actually pretty schiti.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

First Bass posted:

I will also admit to liking Larroca's Namor more than Schiti, while still disliking everything else Larroca.
Boo this man. Schiti's face-work is almost up there with Kevin Maguire, and his Namor has been incredibly and effectively expressive. I wish he had been the main artist from the beginning.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Larroca nailed Namor's personality in that last page, tho.
His gigantically-nosed-Panther and tiger-beat-Reed cancel all of that out.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

Looks like Black Bolt has been shame-eating to deal with the guilt.
Black BULK, amirite

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

Everytime Reed opened his mouth I wanted to strangle him. Which I'm not even sure is possible.
Agreed, but I thought Beast's one line was even more insufferable.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Doom was demanding to know what it was and Reed just told him to mind his own business.
Oh, well I'm sure that's the last of that then. :mmmhmm:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Well, that ending was a kick to the nuts.

-Someone needs to just buy Black Bolt a dry-erase board to carry around.
-Why does three fingers extended mean "Namor"? Like a trident?
-That was a loving great issue from beginning to end.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I think he was signing "Where"
BTW Has anyone ever shown Blackbolt using sign language before? That's a really cool idea.
I got the impression the moving horizontal line was "Where's..." and then 3 fingers was "Namor".

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

I always liked Hickman's use of black splash pages with a couple of words on them. I adds to the grandiose feel of his books.
I also enjoyed the brushed X over Namor's face, and that it was like someone actually took the time to spitefully cross him out.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 20, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

And removes your ability to even try to fix things.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any of the established alternate Earths. There's got to be a few of those that nobody will use again.
I've been wondering how Remender's Earth-666 has dealt with this.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

I would be shocked if it wasn't a reference to an earlier panel.
It's a copy of Reed's speech from the beginning, a copy of the alt-Reeds speeches throughout the series, a copy of Sun God's speech to the NotJLA...have you not been paying attention?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Starsnostars posted:

We haven't seen the pay off from that conversation yet.
Man, I had forgotten all about that. What with an 8-month time jump, whatever it is "he" is working on had to have come to fruition by then, no?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Starsnostars posted:

It's not like Namor went on a globetrotting adventure recruiting different members for the new cabal, it's made up of people who were all in the same building.
Exactly. Time was running pretty short, y'know.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

I was reading Marvels the other night and the device Galactus used looked like the same thing Namor used. Can anyone confirm that, maybe with the original FF issues too?
No, it was a pretty direct homage, I thought.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

d00gZ posted:

So wait -- Thor still has his hammer, which means that this has to take place before Original Sin #7, so why are Steve and Tony working together in that issue?
Original Sin actually takes place in MU 616.1--a timeline just ever so slightly out of sync with 616 prime, unnoticeably different in almost every single way, originally set apart by a an original deviation of only 3 nanoseconds, but enough of a change to cascade down through the eons, causing ever-so-minute, very rare, but still-tangible disparities.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

Saw this on reddit also, haven't read SHIELD yet but Immortus's future-palace has been seen before

Yeah, that was a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

The New Avenger's series should end with two pages. The same five panel all in Blackness of a character talking. Only it's Captain America.
"Everything is Avenged."
No no no, it would have to be Cap, but with an all-white background, revealed to be speaking to Everybody. Full transparency and Inclusion vs. Shadows and Isolationism.

• Locked thread