Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

notthegoatseguy posted:

As Deadpool once said, "Nobody cares about your fake world's fake history" so that part of New Avengers fell flat.

To an extent but I can't help but like Sun God's optimism, I almost want him and his team to succeed against The Illuminati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The events of this issue mean that the guy standing at the back of the New Avengers #24 cover is probably Maximus right?

I can't think who else it could be, unless maybe The Norn or The Rider survive the fight with the Illuminati and make it to the 616 universe.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wonder if we'll see Thane and Ebony Maw again in Hickman's run or if they're stuck over in Inhumanity.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I like how in The Great Society's world the sphinx has an Apocolypse head. I want to know more about their stupid fake world!

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I thought that Stark had the idea of the huge, powerful Avengers team in placed Steve's mind so that Steve could put together this powerful team which could deal with almost any threat that came their way giving the Illumanti the opportiunity to make their sole focus the threat of the incursions.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Hulk may not have started the fight that angry but he sure got angry when Sun God called him "nature" and "out of control".

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The Infinity Gauntlet being destroyed wasn't really Cap's fault, the Great Society's equivalent was also destroyed when they used it to avoid an incursion.

e. beaten

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
New Avengers was great although the shift to Larroca for the final few pages was jarring as his art looks nothing like Schiti's. I know we needed a conclusion to the Great Society arc but I can't wait to see more of what Maximus and Black Swan are plotting, the few pages of that we got this issue was such a tease.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
At this point another peaceful planet would be worse than a hostile one, Cap and everyone else can get behind fighting Black Priests or Mapmakers but another planet of heroes would cause even more division.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It's weird because I remember liking Walker's art when he was on Thunderbolts, maybe he was in a rush or something? Anyway there's only one more New Avengers issue with Walker on art before Deodato comes back for Time Runs Out.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
We saw an alternate Doom not do too well against Mapmakers so I doubt the Doom we know and love could do much better.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wonder who Black Bolt is more mad at, Maximus for betraying him or himself for bring Maximus into the fold in the first place?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

bobkatt013 posted:

For all you know this is a long con by Black Bolt as he will be informed of what they are doing.

Maybe but a long con involving releasing the Cabal from their cells seems a little risky, back in Infinity even Thanos decided against releasing Black Swan and letting her run wild.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

PaybackJack posted:

I'm inclined to think it's some alternate universe thing because why are Hawkeye and Captain Marvel wearing grey costumes?

I think it's an alt universe too, we've seen a trend across the multiverse of illuminatis fighting against incursions maybe it will also be a trend for teams of Avengers to oppose them in what they're doing.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
We haven't seen the pay off from that conversation yet.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Skwirl posted:

He killed 5 (I think, I don't have the issue handy) good people and once he had control again wouldn't kill another 6 billion.

I think Strange killed three of The Great Society; Boundless, the Rider and The Norn. Dr Spectrum went to the 616 Earth and was defeated by Black Bolt (Brevoort refused to comment on tumblr on whether she had died or not), The Jovian was killed or at least disabled by Namor and Sun God died with his planet.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It's not like Namor went on a globetrotting adventure recruiting different members for the new cabal, it's made up of people who were all in the same building.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wonder if we'll see Medusa and Meggan also side with Sue against their husbands.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Captain Britain must be in a such a difficult position, he has the resources of multiverse spanning Captain Britain Corps at his disposel but can he really use them? The incursions pit the Captain Britains against each other rather than unite them against a single foe and any information he shares could later be used against him by a Captain Britain protecting their own world. However, seeing as a theme of the illuminati is secrecy it's more likely that any Captain Britain who found out about the incursions kept the knowledge to themselves or died.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Codependent Poster posted:

I think most people are surprised because Captain Britain is barely ever used, and never or rarely ever associates with the Avengers.

I think that Hickman is a fan of the character/concept. He made Jamie Braddock the new Captain Britain as part of his Ultimates run.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Doom probably realises that Thanos, Proxima and Corvus are powerful enough to deal with most threats so the Cabal failing wouldn't be a pressing concern.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm guessing our Captain Britain led the rest of the Corp against The Great Destroyer in their attempt to save the Multiverse, this failed and resulted in Braddock losing his eye and the rest of the Corp being killed.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I really wish we could have seen old man Cap try and beat down Terrax with just his cane.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The New Avengers #30 cover looks so cool but I almost don't want to know what bad stuff happened to all those Captain Britains. :ohdear:

Also, poor Spider-Britain!

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wonder if the Captain Britains attempted something like what Hyperion, Thor, Starbrand and the Ex Nihilos are planning on doing and went to try and fight the cause of the incursions only to have it not really work out for them.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Had we seen Validator before anywhere?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
gently caress I don't remember her at all. I need to go back and reread that issue.

e. Wow I so didn't remember that issue at all. Now I get why Sunspot called her "the power of evolution".

Starsnostars fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 19, 2014

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
While the (I assume) still inverted Tony was trying to make the best of his situation and look cool and in control when he claimed Black Swan was in love with him, I did like how she decided to paint her nails for her prison visit. :3:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Skwirl posted:

I don't think The Cabal capturing Tony is "jobbing Tony." It's a team that includes Thanos, who's usually a job for all of the Avengers, Namor is probably the (physically) weakest on the team and if Namor can get Tony underwater, it's easily Namor's fight. And in the previous New Avengers Reed spent a lot of time talking about how important it is they get a hold of Tony's research, so I bet he's going to play an important part.

I think Namor is probably stronger than Black Swan and is certainly stronger than Maximus.

It's funny that someone brought up Iron Man getting somewhat poo poo on by Hickman (so far) because I was starting to feel that way about Hulk. Less so Banner because Banner got to work out that the Illuminati were operating again before the majority of characters knew but Hulk has always seemed ineffective in his various appearances. I'm not going to pretend to be the world's biggest Hulk expert or anything but a lot of his past successes/moments seem to come from punching stuff hard and being the "strongest there is", this approach hasn't really worked out for him in Avengers/New Avengers. In the first arc he gets mind controlled by Abyss and fights his own team, during Infinity he is easily taken down by Proxima and Corvus and then in the fight with The Great Society he loses his strongest there is contest with Sun God.

I suppose it doesn't really matter unless you're the sort of person who loves those "who would win in a fight?" questions and always insist the answer is Hulk but it happened enough times for me to notice. Maybe Hulk will have more success as Doc Green now he can contribute more than fists to a problem.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
So if The Ivory Kings are fighting a war against Rabum Alal, I wonder what the Ebony Kings are and what they're doing?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It's funny thinking that Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Spider-Man, Wolverine and Falcon have all had major status quo changes while Hickman has been writing Avengers and it hasn't really impacted the story that he's trying to tell.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Avengers #40 is out next week.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Reed and Brian must be thrilled to have a new addition to team beard.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The Ultimate universe seems especially unlucky when it comes to incursions. Reed says he's killed 67 worlds while by my count the 616 universe has faced only 21 incursions. I guess the Ultimate universe is lucky to have the Reed Richards it does.

Also that new Avengers book looks cool.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

redbackground posted:

I hate that Valerio Schiti didn't stay on as the main NA artist.

Me too, I thought his take on certain characters like Namor and Maximus was perfect. That said his nonhuman characters looked odd, I don't think Thanos or Corvus Glaive looked quite right and neither does Rocket Raccoon in Schiti's Guardians of the Galaxy.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I liked the dinosaurs in suits that Pym met in one of the universes.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Codependent Poster posted:

This is also the cover to the upcoming New Avengers when we learn who Rabum Alal is.

And my thinking that it's Tony is because Black Swan seems to have an attraction and reverence for him, and the fact that from the very start of this, Tony is said to represent death.

While Black Swan kept visiting our Tony while he was the Cabal's prisoner she had no problem snapping an alternate Tony's neck which we saw through the bridge so I don't know what level of attraction exists there. That said I do also think Rabum Alal is Tony, Rabum Alal is said to be at war with the Ivory Kings and I wonder if the destruction of the Earth which started the chain reaction of incursions was his attempt or a by product of his attempt to defeat them.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wonder what Black Swan and Namor's deal was, probably something like "we're on a team with total psychos now, lets watch each other's back and try to come out the other side".

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Kev Walker is not normally a bad artist, I don't think he's ever been great but he's usually been soild except for almost all his New Avengers issues. I wonder how much of it is down to Hickman's late scripts, Brevoort mentioned on his tumblr several times that Hickman's had trouble getting them in on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Ugenesis posted:

That's what I was thinking. Maybe all the Swan's are.

I don't know, some of the Swans don't seem like Valeria at all like the ones who ripped their own eyes out or the ones with squid heads.

• Locked thread