Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Here in good old 'Murica, the debate over single-payer health care has largely been relegated to the sidelines. Much as conservatives decry Obamacare as the worst thing since sliced Hitler, it's pretty much cemented the presence of insurance companies and confirmed that the U.S. will not have a health care system similar to Canada's anytime soon.

Well...in 49 out of 50 states, anyways.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/o...&pgtype=article

Vermont signed into law a single-payer health care bill in 2011, but because of Obamacare they have to set up the (private) insurance exchanges just like everyone else. Now, here's the kicker: in 2017, the "waiver for state innovation" takes effect, allowing individual states to opt of the Obamacare requirements if they've got their own plan to cover their citizens. Vermont plans on using this to establish Green Mountain Care, taking those sweet federal subsidies to pay for the roughly $1.7 billion needed to cover their citizens.

So, is this a good idea and a natural step forward in American progress, or a sign of the apocalypse and big government run mad? Let's debate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
http://www.wcax.com/story/25395497/vt-lawmakers-push-for-deadline-on-single-payer-financing-plan

The legislature wants details on the single payer financing plan ASAP. Governor says he'll have them by next year.

Unrelated, but Gov. Shumlin has a big nose.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

TL;DR: gently caress the American health care system.

All the more reason for Vermont to proceed forward with their plan.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

http://www.vnews.com/opinion/11801131-95/column-heres-why-a-single-payer-system-wont-save-us-health-caresw

Column in opposition to single-payer. Thoughts?

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

You need a degree to get a job. You need to go into debt to get a degree. You need to pay off that debt at your job, for the rest of your life.

Doesn't really seem just to me.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Fat Ogre posted:

Nice strawman.

I'm not saying that.

One is a solution on a personal level while the country works towards healthcare reform and student loan/education reform.

It would be like me telling people how to smoke pot without loving over your life and you getting mad because that doesn't fix the pot legalization problems in the country :wtc:

1. Explain to me how I can get a well-paying job without a college degree.

2. Explain how I can get a college degree without swimming in debt.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Fat Ogre posted:

So like most people's plans they have like going after tenure or jobs after grad school that pay well?

I'm pretty sure most people just want a well-paying (or hell, a decently paying!) job after high school.

The problem is that all your premises rely on luck. Start a business...if you're lucky, it'll be successful. If you're lucky, you'll be able to afford a degree.

If you're lucky.

Well, tens of millions of Americans aren't lucky; they get fed the lie "a degree guarantees a job" from birth and then get blamed for not finding a job and having $100K in debt.

These are systematic problems, not individual failings.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Fat Ogre posted:

:rolleyes: yup that sure is an accurate summation of what I'm saying.

Your custom title is well deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

This was posted in the midterms thread:

De Nomolos posted:

I'll take the ACA over single payer if it means preventable diseases don't return. Basic scientific truth is a little more important than fighting over how left one can be.

Thoughts?

• Locked thread