Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
That Korgan fellow will probably get around to clicking his magic button for you at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Hold on to your arses, Bulwarks are back!

Bundled in with the Rom doff pack so cellship prices will likely drop a bit, too.

quote:

From now until 10AM PDT on Thursday, July 3, 2014, when you purchase a Romulan Survivor Duty Officer Pack from the C-Store, a container will be put into your inventory. Upon opening it, it will contain either 10 Lobi Crystals or a Voth Bulwark Dreadnought Cruiser, in addition to a Romulan Survivor Duty Officer Pack! If you missed winning one of these vessels during one of our previous Duty Officer promotions, here's your chance at owning one of the most sought-after ships.

Note the bold bit and don't buy/open existing packs expecting to get a drop.

Also Elachi Alert weekend is here for your mark farming needs.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

revtoiletduck posted:

Any idea what the chances of getting a Bulwark are? The usual 0.5% or whatever?

If you're lucky, insanely low though.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Heads up - bonus mark weekend for the end of June has gone from the calendar but now we have dil weekend showing 24th-28th July.

Also good work, canary.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Red = dead.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Is there no end to these malicious lies?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Korgan posted:

So not only do covershields ruin the race by blocking people, so do discoballs somehow. These pubbies are insane.

Also have a log of a dude who went batshit after being stuck behind a shield for 30 seconds and losing second place. http://pastebin.com/WTQQUuhi

More tragic reports.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Stole-via-than-99 is having his usual tirade in that thread:

Waaaaa trolls posted:

I would like to reiterate that this is a dumb policy and that thought is progressing towards the idea that anti-naming and shaming policies and "don't feed the trolls" make for bad policies.

I've seen probably five or six editorials in the last couple of months on prominent news sites, written by intelligent correspondents (a Ph.D or two in there, I think), on why the stock approaches to trolling, harassment, and "naming and shaming" are broken and why companies should be encouraging communities to fight back, not maintaining polite decorum.

The idea that trolls want attention is pretty demonstrably false and starving them of attention doesn't solve anything. The idea that inaccurate claims may be made is insufficient because communities will adapt to a norm of unreliable claims and bans on profanity/political discussions will keep the most incendiary claims at bay. The hosting company already avoids liability for claims made by posters in the TOS for the forums.

Posting a screen name is not the same as posting someone's home address.

I think everything in this post conforms to the rules. I am saying that I find the rules in error and reflective of thinking that may have reflected the internet of ten years ago but are not the kind of forward thinking policies I expect to see in the future. And I will continue to challenge the validity of PWE's forum policies as long as they cling onto the weak and ineffective "don't feed the trolls"/"don't name and shame" approach.

Waaaa double post posted:

Well, other companies have not only banned guilds but they have leveraged things like the DMCA and other legal claims to get the offending websites of these groups shut down.

I think it's a matter of time before the chans and places where some awful things get posted get the plug pulled. On that day, I will go out and buy a cake and a handle of vodka and throw a party.

Oh you cad.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Just in case it gets edited out the insane post in question:

wtf posted:

Yes and about that ... -- usually ppl who volunteer to moderate do so out of their love for their community .
How does it feel that that has lead you askray to become the protector of trolls and internet thugs , hmm ?

How did it feel when you smacked me down and told me that I'm not to "refer to them nor use their exact name" , yet they can refer to but not use Nazi symbolism on these very forums ?

Anything strikes you as a tad bit wrong there ?

Anything at all ?

"Just following orders ?"

D-Day was celebrated just a few days ago .
Did that have any meaning for you , and those like you who protect the very ideologies that those who fought and died there on D-Day have fought to prevent .

"Be quiet."
"Conform."
"Obay."

I have one word for that , and that is : No .

:godwin:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Cover shields.

Cover shields on the twice hourly hover board races causing a bit of fuss and a giggle every once in a while has led to this.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, when askray wakes up he's going to have fun going through that thread.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It's us, we're the 3rd Street Saints.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Ladies and gentlemen, coming in 9.5: CRAFTING REVAMP!

Stephen D'Angelo posted:

2014 has been a major year for improving existing Star Trek Online game play, and Season 9.5 continues pushing in this direction. We’re excited that this update will focus on crafting.

In this release, the STO dev team has completely reworked every element of crafting in the game. We started by looking at how crafting materials are acquired. While you will still be able to harvest in missions, we are introducing more ways to earn valuable materials. We moved on through the whole process of crafting, introducing multiple schools for captains to level up in, a new user interface, and even new abilities for crafted gear that are not found in dropped loot. Since duty officers play a part in this new crafting system, we also took the time to give a facelift to duty officer user interface.

Our goal is to have a crafting system that our players enjoy and are excited to use. We’ll be providing detailed dev blogs on each aspect of the new system over the coming weeks, explaining how the system works and the reasons behind our choices. Be sure to keep an eye on the game news when you are not busy powerboarding on Risa during the summer event.

Season 9.5 will be on Tribble soon and will be live in late July.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
So with the furore over the Dental flags it was decided NoP could do with a revamp. Focusing the pure love of disco and taking instruction from Pulse I've come up with this so far:

Other possibilities would be to have an actual disco ball there rather than the kdf logo, or some crazy fusion of the two, maybe?

Edit:

Aleth fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 17, 2014

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

The first one for sure, the disco ball blends in too much with the other colours while the Red stands out more. Maybe try the Klingon/Discoball one but with the Klingon symbol red?

Tried a few more out based on tng chat but I still prefer the first one myself.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Fiddled with the Rising Disco flag a bit more:

Bonus glow text option:

Aleth fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 17, 2014

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Can do if you want, just something I was messing on with in gimp but I'm not that experienced with it.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
New R&D devblog is up.

quote:

Even before the attacks on Earth and Qo’noS, my teams were working on a whole new system for Research and Development. We’re going to wipe away everything that came before – everything the Undine know – and start fresh. We’ll have new technology and new options. We’ll open up R&D to captains who haven’t worked with it before and see what they can do.

I propose that we even consider sharing these advances with the Republic and the Empire, although I expect they’re both working on something similar already. We can’t be the only ones who see the only way to move is forward.

So maybe they are just going to wipe everything and all our general research skill will be for naught? :eng99:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Technical Analysis posted:

Romulan log: "...Operatives obtained KDF and Starfleet logs, nothing useful, gonna have to start our own R&D teams at this rate."

"...so Tovan suggested the team start looking into thalaron stuff and...well...we need to find a New New Romulus now."

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Korgan posted:

You're in Mr One Post. Come join the channel. :v:

Christ, you ain't kidding - nearly 6 years of lurking broken by a request to get access to the Star Trek Online goon wiki. Shameful.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Another day, another CRAFTING REVAMP DEVBLOG!

quote:

As part of the new Research and Development system that we’re introducing in Season 9.5, we’re updating the kinds of raw materials that you’ll use. We’re paring down the number of materials so that you don’t have to use as much space to store them all, and you won’t have as many to keep track of when figuring out what you need!

The old anomalies won’t just disappear – you can exchange your old anomalies for new R&D materials. If you have some heavy stacks of anomalies in your bank, this means that your new materials will take up less space and you’ll get a head start on the new R&D system! We’re also adding a new section to your inventory to store these new Materials and other crafting-related items, so converting your old particle traces will help you clean out your bank space immensely.

So the existing particle traces will be swapped out for new materials and we're getting crafting dedicated banking, awesome.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
What Dental wants Dental gets, remember? :smug:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Oh dear.

quote:

Probably already a threas about this, but my mobile is pretty crappy when using this forum. The patch notes (todays) give us the use of snow balls, breen grenades and party poppers, why can't we have Nerve Tonics?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Risa must be purged. :commissar:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Doff packs can be traded so you should be fine.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

What's the ballpark on 9.5's release?

I need to get around to blowing all my EC on Biotech Patch for all of my guys before it drops.

Stephen D'Angelo posted:

Season 9.5 will be on Tribble soon and will be live in late July.

So not too far off.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Asimo posted:

In other news that came up with the forums were down... new crafting!!! Good news is, the TR-whatever kinetic sniper rifle returns in an endgame form, along with omni-directionals beam arrays (although they're still unique-equipped per energy type) and wide-angle DHCs (probably the same)

Rainbow 360 beamboats, hurrah!

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

IPCRESS posted:

With the enhanced aegis set and BFAW, I look forward to turning my ship into a disco ball in space.

One day they will release the borg sphere as a playable ship to go with this setup and it will be fabulous.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Or that it's bonus mark weekend now.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
There's also the fact that to do any science ship well it's quite the investment, so there aren't any decent 'cheap' options.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It looks cool:

And whilst you can generally do better with other sets you're still not going to suddenly become crap at 99.9% of the content because of it.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Korgan posted:

Bombard the channel with questions as needed, it's what we made it for.

I thought it was more for finding a quick ERPing session?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
/\ Amazing.

Speaking of crafting...

quote:

Secondly, let’s talk about Traits! After your crew has spent countless hours studying the inner workings of their technology, they emerge with a greater knowledge of how it works in combat. This is represented by Trait unlocks at Level 15 of each school. Keep in mind that all of this is on our Tribble Test Server right now and is subject to change, but presently, here is how the R&D Traits work:

Beams
On activating Beam skill, gain 2% Beam damage for 20 sec. Stacks x3.
Cannons
On activating Cannon skill, gain +1 Turn Rate, +1 Inertia for 20 sec. Stacks x3.
Projectiles
Your Torpedoes and Mines penetrate an extra 10% of your target’s shields
Shields & Arrays
Activating a Shield Heal gives the target 99% Shield DR for 1 second
Science
Your Particle Generator skill gives up to 25% bonus Crit chance on Science powers (at 100 PartGens)
Engineering
Activating any Engineering Bridge Officer ability gives 20% Damage Reduction for 3 seconds.
Ground Weapons
All of your ground weapon attacks penetrate 10 armor rating.

Finally, there are some unique item modifiers, or “mods”, that can only be found on items created by the R&D system. These item modifiers have a chance to appear on any crafted item of Blue quality or higher. Here are some example mods for various types of item – as with the traits, all of these are subject to change pending testing on Tribble:

Beams:
[Over] – This mod gives all of its weapons’ attacks a small chance to trigger a free Beam Overload for the next beam weapon that fires.
Cannons:
[Rapid] – This mod gives all of its weapons’ attacks a small chance to trigger a 4 second duration Cannon Rapid Fire buff.
Torpedo:
[Pen] – This mod causes all of its weapons attacks to ignore 10 points of Damage Resistance Rating on their target.
Shield:
[Amp] – This mod increases the strength of all heals used on the equipped starship by 10%.
Engines:
[Damp] – This mod increases the owner’s resistance to all crowd control effects.
Deflector:
[CdrS] – This mod grants Cooldown Reduction on all non-damaging Science powers.
Ground Weapons:
[Run] – This mod increases the run speed of the owner by 20%.

Depending on the proc chance on some of these this could be quite horrific.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Supposedly all the materials are going to be able to be converted to the new stuff but otherwise yeah, looks like it.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Archonex posted:

It's not like the current system is useful at all. Outside of the Aegis set it's pretty much worthless.

Combat horta.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

UoI posted:

I win STO.

RIP Anita Dickinme.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Twice the failure!

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I'd call you out on us all being lazy but :effort:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Elachi are yellowish, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I'm cautiously optimistic that they are what with the nature of the fixes and releases they've been doing lately. Crafting is finally getting an overhaul, the traits system was redone, KDF uniforms being fixed, Borg/Undine missions being revised and so on all are things that have needed addressing for some time.

• Locked thread