Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This sounds like a bit of :effort: since I admit I didn't spend a lot of time trying to tease it out, but I just tried to play STO after a brief play long ago, and I absolutely cannot wrap my head around the space controls. Movement is unintuitive (why is W not Go Forward?), turning is slooow (why can't I just turn to the direction the camera is facing?), and half the time the game doesn't seem to be telling me why my phasers aren't firing. Old school gaming reference: I feel like I'm playing Descent again, without a mouse.

The MMO I'm most used to is a ground game like WoW. Is there any way to change the controls to mimic the groundgame in the space phase of the game?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

It's spaceships. You can't just (easily) have W be "go forward" because there's three dimensional movement involved... not just changing your Z positioning, but also the angle at which your pointing to aim your weapons. The turning is definitely an issue at low levels (as you get more skills/gear it's drastically improved... unless you're flying a carrier or something), but it's part of the metagame of shield facings and firing arcs and such too. Which also explains why your weapons may not have been firing; torpedoes (for example) have a 90-degree firing arc, so if you have one mounted in a forward arc and an enemy's behind you or to your side you won't be able to fire it on them.

That said... yeah, Cryptic's tutorials are kinda lovely. I forget if there's any drastic configuration options like there are for ground, but you can change the keys around easily enough. I also recommend flying around outside earth spacedock a while to get a feel for it; you can hold down both mouse buttons to turn along with the camera, it might help get the idea across more.

I know I'm sounding like an annoyed sperg who is basically saying "But WoW does it!!!111one", but I can hop on a flying mount in WoW, move, turn any direction I want instantly, and stop on a dime, and I never had anything approaching the issues I'm having. I didn't even get out of what I think was the tutorial (I was trying to find some cloaked Klingon ship when my spergstration got too high), but like I said, I got frustrated quickly.

I suppose I'll try it again in a bit, but really I was just looking for something to sate my need for entertainment and I was in a bit of a ST kick, and my issues turned me off.

• Locked thread