Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

revtoiletduck posted:

Thanks for this. As someone starting from scratch, I was wondering if there was a reasonably efficient way to get both ships.

Just to clarify, when you say two alts do you just mean two characters, or do you need two characters other than your main?

Take two characters, do the dailies on both of them. On one of them, start the project for the cruiser, and the other one start the project for the corvette. Both will complete in 25 days, and after that, any character on your account can get each ship for 40 pearls. You're basically farming 1040 pearls on each of those two characters. Any other alt you have can get both ships for 80 pearls (2 days of dailies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

To be fair, the shape of the scim is such that broadsides are a bit harder to line up than say, a fleet assault. When I ran it, it was 5x array in the front, the KCB, and the experimental proton 360' beam thing. Even if I was front facing I had 7/8 going for me.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

I really think that I'm going to tire of farming favors long before pubbies stop paying me ridiculous sums of money for them.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

It's still good in certain builds that require it, such as the plasma based timeship build that depends on bleedthrough damage for dps.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

DonDoodles posted:

Yeah, as long as you get the needed tags, there's no real reason to flip out because you're not getting first place. But these are STO pubbies, and every one of them is entitled to first place every single race whether or not they're using a rental board. It's amazing how much bitching there is in zone chat after every race.

That bitching is 95% of the source of fun in the game. If you get sick of it you can always drop that the JJ Abrams Trek movies ARE canon and spawn an hours-long debate with one sentence.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

I'm just happy that my suggestion for renaming Pµlse's fleet to BEAM DOWN FOR WHAT was implemented.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

what is this even

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

The amount of pedantic, entitled whining that comes out of the STO community is vastly disproportionate to the difficulty and griefability of the game, in all honesty.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Jaris was really really mad that i picked up his command marks running through the point he captured. I felt like pointing out to zonechat what an upstanding citizen he was.

quote:

[Tell] Jaris@RedSartgate: gently caress CHICKEN AFFRAIND YOULL GETR YOUR rear end KICK

http://pastebin.com/Qgc6AJdr

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1157641

Sixty three pages of people grousing about content that I only visit to look at doff missions being removed (with the doff missions being moved to a point of interest in existing sectors). If you ever want to see a cross section of the playerbase, this thread is it.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

I suppose it is one (relatively significant) motivation to play more than the usual three or four STFs in the queue. They really should take a look at some of the older ones and revamp them a bit so they aren't such a slog or confusing. Ground combat has definitely improved since release, but it could definitely use some touching up in the queues if it's going to be a requirement for farming crafting materials.

Two caveats though:

- This will make Buschmaki's IGE forays much more hilarious
- This will make a lot more of the 'dont want to do shooty shooty to craft' crowd a lot angrier, which is also hilarious.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

So who else is ready for dilithium weekend? Two weeks to go and I've got close to 20k marks stored over three characters. Wondering if it's worth converting them to zen prior to 9.5 release or just keeping the dilithium.

Thinking it's probably better to convert what I can for future-proofing.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah with rep change and sponsership in effect I've been grinding out reps on about a dozen alts and am going to be turning those in and then grinding the mark payouts. Also there's this:

I didn't even think about t5 rep rewards and not turning them in. Oh well. At least I'm making some preparations. I don't have a dozen max level characters though (I have to wait until the next xp event for that)

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

There's also a master key sale going on right now (10 keys for 956 zen) which will sell like crazy on the exchange at a good markup once the newest lockbox is released (Xindi).

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Taerkar posted:

I decided to go full rainbow boat with the Risan Luxury Cruiser on a gimmick alt I have, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. Here's the current setup of it:

http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Amerus@Taerkar)/ship-equipment

The torp is there mainly because I couldn't think of another beam type to mount on it. Do any of the special beams have unique visuals that would help the display?

Equipment quality is being slowly improved as well. Current target is get the rest of the vuln locators.

antiproton is red, while phasers are more orangish

if you had the andorian phasers they are a nice darker blue, too.

spiral wave disruptors (if you have a galor just sitting around) are yellowish.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Bloodly posted:

As I understand it, and I may be completely off:

Power creep/wealth(Such as the Cruiser Commands) has meant a lot more power(especially weapon power) is available to subsystems without actually being the Engineer class, who's ship-based class abilities are 'resistance to power drain, massive power boost, massive self-heal'. Also things like Tyken's Rift and Gravity Well becoming more dangerous all-round thanks to the Voth forcing a review of those powers(Which are high-end Science Ship's stock in trade). So in a game that is often about DPS races, things like Attack Pattern Alpha and Go Down Fighting are the 'best' in terms of Captain Powers because it's raw damage buffs. The long sustain and never-die of Engineers is not bad, but less required.

Ground Engineers(Seemingly, to me) have always been....sketchy. The various turrets and generators that are their general stock in trade tend to die like flies(Which even the engineer-specific trait that gives them health regen doesn't help with), and then what do you have? Beams from the sky are cool, do good damage, but are also long cooldown.

Fuse Armor, Chrono Mines, and That one giant bomb thing. With a shotgun.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Sleepy District posted:

The war is over in the story line, that was the one of the main points of Surface Tension.

New missions? What? Pffffffffffft.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Anyone know if the Xindi Aquatic carrier would be a good engie-boat? I know that the reculse is the gold standard these days but was hoping for an alternative.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Aleth posted:

Turns out the xindi costume has quite the colour palette:

Edit: added bling:

I never got this costume choice in the show. "Hey, I'm going to put a birdcage on when I get up in the morning." The hell?

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

I was always impressed that Quark's suits were made of the finest upholstery fabric on Feringar.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Well once you finish the rep grind you can turn your attention to the slightly-less-irrelevant crafting grind. I especially like how it keeps a doff busy so they can't be used on other non-crafting doff missions, and also how you can't queue anything, and everything takes time to craft. Super awesome and highly inconvenient.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Lagomorphic posted:

With crafting you really should just be setting up the 20 hour research project once a day. Trying to actually make anything at this point in the grind is useless unless you have new alts that could use mk iv gear or whatever.

That's pretty much what I'm doing. It's not like I have a shortage of materials because I run STFs on four characters and consolidate the crafting boxes on one character. I was playing around with the system a bit to get a feel for it, and the feel I get is that it's dumb and overly clunky. When you want to make something, you have to make each of the components one at a time, with no way to queue them. If you want to make more than one of something your work increases exponentially, instead of a simple 'craft all' button, or a 'make x number of this component' button.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

They are listed under the reward packs. They go from about 150,000EC (mirror universe ships) to the max exchange price of 500 million EC (for the occasional bugship). If you don't already have it, the zen store purchase to unlock your EC cap is a must to be able to buy ships off the exchange.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

At least a month now. The wiki article notes that contra farming doesn't work anymore against invincible targets.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

This pretty much proves to me it's better to just sell the crafting mats on the exchange if possible.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Though it likely doesn't apply, logic would dictate that they'd want people to use their new lovely system besides the original few that used the old crafting system. By that assumption, you'd think they would want to modify the system as a whole so that people would actually use it, instead of making it a hilarious failed money pit for a vast minority of the playerbase who would otherwise continue to play space barbie dressup and buy things from the zen store instead.

Mondian posted:

I was under the impression that the STF drops were all particle/gas poo poo only.

You can occasionally get Trellium-K or whatever from the boxes dropped by elite STFs.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

If the people responsible for the new doff interface were to look at the exchange, it would be unusable for a hell of a lot longer than a month or two.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Woolie Wool a new 50 wouldn't have plasmonic leech as their first priority,fwiw. its perfectly feasible to farm stfs with goons without one

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Lagomorphic posted:

Running the 4 hards is a super easy 300+ fleet marks in like 15 minutes or less. I used to do that poo poo twice daily but now that the goon fleets are all finished you can pretty much safely ignore it.

It's good if you want to accumulate fleet marks to convert to credits, but most of the time to do that you'll have to dump them into either someone's vanity fleet or a pubbie fleet as a donation. There are other (somehwhat) better ways to get fleet credits that don't involve that, but they're a bit more labor intensive.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Here's where I spend hours on end converting 25,000 marks to dil, 50 at a time. Then add in the doff projects for my contraband, and prisoners, and completing a few T5 reputations, and then finally voth implants/iso injections/borg thingies.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Kitchner posted:

OK so what's the best way to earn energy credits? People keep saying you should raise the EC cap but I can't ever imagine even hitting it at the moment. I'm level 50 now if that makes a difference.

Kind of a pain but check out the Wiki for details. I'll summarize it though:

Pick up a decent mirror ship from the NoP/Dental fleet bank, or ask for one in the channel. Follow ship build guides on the wiki to get a general idea of how to set things up.

Run STFs with goons. Don't worry about your contribution to the fight - goons run them all the time. Each one nets you 960 dilithium, some marks, and random trash loot. If you get bored with them, the Dyson Ground battlezone is a nice variety. It's very easy to hit daily dilithium refine caps playing ground battlezone for an hour or so. It's especially lucrative during dilithium events, too.

Convert the dil to zen using the dilithium exchange and once you get enough, unlock the EC cap first thing. Use the marks you earn in the STFs to raise your reputations. Aqcuire loot.

Consider doing marauding missions if you are a klingon. Turn in the contraband on dilithium weekends (like right now).

As you continue to run STFs, improve your equipment. Maybe buy some fleet ships. Convert spare dil to zen, then buy keys and sell them on the exchange for EC.

Note that the process of converting dilithium to EC or zen speeds up immensely if you have multiple characters.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Nope, some assignments are just buggy. The first one in the ferasian chain is as well, as is scanning for chronometric traces.

My 'respond to subordinate's challenge' mission has been running for a week without completing. loving cowards.

I have at least half a dozen of Telekinesis doffs yet the Very Rare mission to use it for assassination doesn't seem to ever detect that I do. I was wondering about this.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Deprogrammed is the name of that trait, by the way. It's from a rom mission.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

I dont know, it seems pretty whitebread as far as drama goes. new marquisnoir chatlogs would be immensely more entertaining and require a hell of a lot less legwork (both for you and for the readers of this thread)

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

If they want people to play other stf's they've definitely got to look at the metrics on it. i'm not sure it is a priority, though, as long as people are spending money on the game to buy new (lovely) ships. i've played through a lot of them at least once adn some are very fun but it's just not economical to run them regularly unless the rewards were brought in line with other stfs.

If the crafting system wasnt such a shithouse, people might be more inclined to farm materials from the less popular instances, but as it stands now the poo poo is just not getting played in favor of the same-old.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

it is still hilariously easy to get froth from pubbies in-game. all you have to do is go to voth ground bg and take someone's command marks right after they cap a point.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 6, 2014

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Lagomorphic posted:

It's pretty easy to do casual PVP in this game if you're intimidated by serious team PVP. You can either dick around in Ker'rat or go pug a PVP queue. Here's my guide to pugging PVP:

Step 1) Don't suck. You don't have to be great just make sure you're not terrible.
Step 2) Ignore tankers and try to gang up on anyone low on health.
Step 3) Make sure to note which pubbies explode the fastest and go after them at every opportunity.
Step 4) Don't get butthurt the 1 time in 10 your opponents are actually coordinated and you lose.

Seriously it's not that hard and your get dil for doing it (check your dailies).

Doing this means I have to do a rep and equipment grind on a fifth character as all my others are fed and ker'rat is just full of fed farmers :v:

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

its funny when i play this game i get bored and wander off when implementing the wiki builds and still do a thousand times more damage than most pubbies

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

For quite a while Garrett Wang had super long hair, but now he's back to the Harry Kim Hairstyle. Also he looks like he wished that the guy behind him would hoverhand instead. I think Kate Mulgrew just has Resting Bitch Face, but she seems like shes' pretty cool otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1192311

This dude is asking for people to make Cardassian POV missions involving Gallitep, which has pubbie furor in a frenzy due to it basically being a concentration camp simulator. He's offering a 100m EC prize for the best submission. The thread is pretty entertaining in more ways than one.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 11, 2014

• Locked thread