Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So the story of Fury looking for a replacement was actually Uatu looking for a replacement.

Maybe Watcher-Fury can hang out with Odin and be grumpy old men.

Does that mean that when Fury decides to retire as watcher Bucky gets the job? I also wonder what Cap is going to do when he finds out what Bucky is up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Maybe Watcher-Fury can hang out with Odin and be grumpy old men.

"I ever tell you about the time I rode a rocket cycle through a wall?"

"Ugh, not this again..."

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Speaking of ham-fisted attempts to get Samuel L Jackson into 616, didn't they try that by having Ultimate Fury stay in 616 during the 616/Ultiverse/Supreme Powerverse crossover?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Iggles posted:

Speaking of ham-fisted attempts to get Samuel L Jackson into 616, didn't they try that by having Ultimate Fury stay in 616 during the 616/Ultiverse/Supreme Powerverse crossover?

There never was a 616/Ultiverse/Supreme Powerverse crossover. It was only a Ultiverse/Supreme Powerverse crossover.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

Off the top of my head

Maybe Iron Man helped create the Hulk? He was pretty drunk back then but it's still Banner's hubris that caused it/it's still Banner's fault.
Daredevil's mother had post-partum depression which is why she left.
Xavier mind wiped a super powerful mutant pre-X-Men days and had been continually placing mental blocks in him since then to stop him killing everybody. Also he married Mystique at a point.
Someone else got bit by the magic Spider that bit Peter
Angela is Thor's sister
Nick Fury has been going around pre-emptively killing anybody who would threaten Earth
Dum Dum Duggan has always been a robot
Nova's Dad is still alive
Luke Cage's dad was a superhero
Bendis still hasn't revealed what happened to Dick Rider
Cap found out about the Illuminati
And some other things happened.

Also, Deadpool's daughter is still alive and, while we don't know the details, Deadpool killed his own parents.

Waterhaul posted:

Fury was dying and Uatu wanted Fury to take his place. He knew if he summoned some bad dudes, like the Orb and Midas to his base, that Fury would show up given the stakes. He was fed up of watching, had seen his own death and accepted that his time had come. He'd also seen everything that Fury had done and knew that Fury would be the right replacement.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I saw it as Uatu being completely disgusted with Fury's actions, regularly committing genocide for the greater good. Since Uatu can't interfere outright, he puts events in motion that expose Fury at the cost of his own life. He simply couldn't go on living with the knowledge that he was letting Fury get away with everything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gavok posted:

Maybe I read it wrong, but I saw it as Uatu being completely disgusted with Fury's actions, regularly committing genocide for the greater good. Since Uatu can't interfere outright, he puts events in motion that expose Fury at the cost of his own life. He simply couldn't go on living with the knowledge that he was letting Fury get away with everything.

Yet Fury had a replacement so he died for nothing. I wonder if Bucky will be doing the same job but differently.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet Fury had a replacement so he died for nothing. I wonder if Bucky will be doing the same job but differently.

Not for nothing. Fury received a fitting punishment for his crimes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wasn't Fury "on the wall" for like 60 years? Pretty lovely job by The Watcher.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

When hasn't he been lovely at his job? Do not interfere. Hey Fantastic Four I am going to try to protect Earth and when that does not work I will tell you how to beat Galactus.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah that's the part of it that kind of falls apart with me. Especially since events came around from Watcher seeing his own death happen in the future.

Fury being chained to the moon and forced to not interfere is clearly a punishment from him, presumably from the council of Watchers.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

I can see it as less simply stopping him and more about exposing him. Fury was dying and nobody was going to know what he did.

The one plus for Uatu when it comes to Bucky is that his actions aren't going to be as secretive in the long run because certain people are going to be more familiar with what he's doing. He WILL be discovered.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gavok posted:

I can see it as less simply stopping him and more about exposing him. Fury was dying and nobody was going to know what he did.

The one plus for Uatu when it comes to Bucky is that his actions aren't going to be as secretive in the long run because certain people are going to be more familiar with what he's doing. He WILL be discovered.

If people are already not aware of what he is doing. I am also sort of disappointed that the eye did not return Black Widows memories of Bucky.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The whole thing just seems weird to me. I mean Uatu just had a kid with a fem-watcher, so I can't see him being all "GRAH END IT ALL NOW".

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The whole thing just seems weird to me. I mean Uatu just had a kid with a fem-watcher, so I can't see him being all "GRAH END IT ALL NOW".

Conservation of Watchers. To make a new Watcher an old Watcher must die, or summat.

(it's as good a reason as any)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Someone's going to have to explain to me why what Nick Fury was doing was wrong and how he committed crimes. He literally has been saving the world for 60 years on the weekends.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the issue was that Fury was taking preemptive action. So he was killing people/things before they actually did anything wrong.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

muscles like this? posted:

I think the issue was that Fury was taking preemptive action. So he was killing people/things before they actually did anything wrong.

Yeah, he was going around killing people/ monsters/ aliens/ gods for just making threats, not even waiting for them to take actions.

He even showed that he was willing to kill people who he just considered might be threats. Like he was prepared to kill a rookie Spider-Man, before he had a change of mind. Who knows how many potential heroes he decided to gun down?

The Original Sins issue where he talks to Duggan perfectly sums up how messed up what Fury was doing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Come on, he was literally bursting trough invasion portals before shooting the guys who were saying "okay it's time to invade Earth right now, everyone get your invasion lunches packed." He had a pretty good reason.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Come on, he was literally bursting trough invasion portals before shooting the guys who were saying "okay it's time to invade Earth right now, everyone get your invasion lunches packed." He had a pretty good reason.

True, but I think it's important to mention that as readers we all expect Fury to be written to know and have the correct judgement on things (well also cause he's Fury). So if Fury says it has to be done, eh he's probably right cause he's usually written that way. But from the in-universe perspective, it's reasonable for the people to consider Fury's actions as heinous and unjustifiable because they don't have that kind of fourth wall breaking knowledge.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't think he had a choice, like it was a he'd seen it happen so it had to happen Doc Manhattan deal, maybe. Aaron's good a dumb fun but any more complicated then that it kinda falls flat.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Fury's fate is as bitter a pill as people are making it out to be. If anything, the Watchers granted him his last wish: to bear witness to the Earth surviving, just so he'd know his entire life was worth it. Of course, giving him cosmic awareness and all that other mojo, Fury would start on an interference streak that would make Uatu look like an absolute non-entity, hence he's chained up. Fury will probably end up being a better Watcher than Uatu ever was, just because the actual Watchers can control him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

First Bass posted:

I don't think Fury's fate is as bitter a pill as people are making it out to be. If anything, the Watchers granted him his last wish: to bear witness to the Earth surviving, just so he'd know his entire life was worth it. Of course, giving him cosmic awareness and all that other mojo, Fury would start on an interference streak that would make Uatu look like an absolute non-entity, hence he's chained up. Fury will probably end up being a better Watcher than Uatu ever was, just because the actual Watchers can control him.

The thing is, The Watcher is only interesting when he violates his rule about not interfering, because other wise why are you devoting any space in a 22 page book who literally has no influence on events.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

wiegieman posted:

Oh, I'm not saying most of them weren't justified. It's just the one where the Moloids lead him down to shoot the big monster underground because he was talking about how he'd like to smash New York, I see as symptomatic of how he was loosing it.

Shooting the general to an army that is about to cross a boarder, dodgy but I can understand.
Busting into someone's house because their neighbours thought they heard him say "I'm so mad, I could kill someone.", that's kind of terrifying.

Then you had the examples of him being prepared to cap Spider-Man, simply because he'd been getting bad press coverage.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My only real problem with this event is that things didn't seem to be resolved at all. Fury's chained up on the moon, and I doubt that no one is going to find out and try to release him. Plus, you saw that all the villains got away and are still fulfilling their agendas. Especially the Orb, who seems to be another Watcher, but one that will announce that he is watching you, especially if you are committing crimes. Are the heroes suddenly not going to care if he's still walking around with one of the Watcher's eyes?

It almost feels like this was the opening arch, not the conclusion of one.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The thing is, The Watcher is only interesting when he violates his rule about not interfering, because other wise why are you devoting any space in a 22 page book who literally has no influence on events.

If anyone could weasel their way around the "no interference" rule, it'd be Nick Fury. He seems a sufficiently clever sort.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Plus, you saw that all the villains got away and are still fulfilling their agendas.

Dr. Midas totally died. Sure they can have him come back using super-science on that one cutoff hand I guess, but dude was pretty clearly toast at the end.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Dr. Midas totally died. Sure they can have him come back using super-science on that one cutoff hand I guess, but dude was pretty clearly toast at the end.

Eh, Fury survived, even after seeing his "sack of blood" or whatever Captain America put it as. We didn't even see his body.

EDIT: Sack of bloody stew. Also for Midas, but he said that "proves" Fury is dead. He's a poet, not a crime scene investigator.

IUG fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 6, 2014

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Oh, he is 100% going to be regrown or cloned from that cut-off hand.

What should be the case with Fury is that nobody can see him, even if they wanted him to. It's more of a punishment if you can't make yourself appear wherever you want and have a little chat with whoever.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Midas is a low enough tier villain he's probably just going to stay dead.

Fury did leave a meaty chunk stew and is now in some watcher provided near omniscient and undetectable, possibly untouchable, body.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I hope we get some resolution to what Fury said to Thor.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

notthegoatseguy posted:

"She was actually under-age."

Oh snap!

I hope we eventually get Val Hallen to replace him.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

notthegoatseguy posted:

Oh you mean you hope the thing that's setting off the next major Thor arc by the same writer gets resolved? I think it's a safe bet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And is explicitly said to be covered in the next issue.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

And is explicitly said to be covered in the next issue.

Is there a 9 of 8, or some kind of epilogue issue?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Next (and final) issue of Thor: God of Thunder, I mean. It comes out in a week and a half.

Then 2 weeks after that is the first issue of just "Thor".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Original Sin is a complete story.

Someone killed the Watcher and made an elaborate treasure hunt game for some reason. (It was Fury, he did it to find his intergalactic super spy replacement as he was dying). Everything other than that is an epilogue.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Skwirl posted:

I'm waiting for some writer to do a story where Uatu snaps and decides to publicly air everybody's dirty secrets and basically turn the Marvel Universe on its head.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm surprised nobody brought up the idea that the Watcher being replaced by the Unseen might have something to do with movie rights.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Die Laughing posted:

I'm surprised nobody brought up the idea that the Watcher being replaced by the Unseen might have something to do with movie rights.

Like is Uatu an FF character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
He first appeared in FF and is probably most closely tied to them outside of event books so...yes?

• Locked thread