Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Aren't the Asgardians supposed to be actual gods these days? Like, I know the whole super-advanced-aliens thing was their deal for a long long time and it apparently is in the movies, but I thought current comic Thor is a god.

What is the difference between super advanced aliens and gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Thor hearing a prayer from a girl on a far off alien world is what starts the first arc of God of Thunder, and the rest of the story arc shows that they are definitely not just aliens. There are countless other pantheons and "god" is a thing separate from mortals.

You just listed something Thor can do, not why that means he is a god and not an alien.

The Question IRL posted:

Not to forget Gillen's Journey Into Mystery run (and Al Ewing's Loki: Agent of Asguard) where characters are stories that can be rewritten or changed to suit a motivation. Or how they can die and come back with seemingly no recourse, as long as it furthers their tale.

You are describing all characters in comics.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gavok posted:

On the last page, that's definitely the Orb with a hood on. I'm guessing the redhead is Oubliette in a less dominatrix-like outfit. We know that Dr. Midas is also a part of this, which explains the use of the Mindless Ones. At the end of the Marvel Boy miniseries, Midas was stranded in their dimension, cornered by a bunch of Mindless Ones and desperately wondered how it was possible to twist this to his advantage.

I guess the real story is that they've been working in conjunction with a hero, which we'll find out towards the end.

What if it's not a hero but a hero's husband/wife. What a crazy twist that would be.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Does Ant-Man ever do the whole travel through phone lines thing that The Atom does?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah, Orb is apparently just as it was described in the issue: A z-list villain that really hasen't done anything.

From what people have been saying Aaron has been slowly building him up over years in a couple different books he's done.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I just realized something that really bothered me about this story is that Emma has her telepathy back when that's something she's not supposed to have post-AvX. DOPPELGANGER, SKRULL, or just Jason Aaron not bothering to keep up with X-titles? YOU DECIDE. (its the last one but it still just irks me)

She never lost her telepathy, just like every other character affected by it they just can't control their powers.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

Wasn't her first issue that she couldn't stop reading everybody's mind and couldn't pick a single mind out of the chaos?

It keeps changing from her not being able to control if she was reading people's thoughts or projecting hers. It is the same thing with Cyclops and Magneto.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If you liked that issue, pick up the rest of the current Nova series. It's been solid all the way through.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah this whole thing HAS to be a misdirect.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

There is no way that he did kill the watcher, and they hinted that this Fury is a LMD. He was near the eye and had no secrets revealed. Also him telling Gamora and Moon Knight exactly how it went down

He was piecing it together with them. He didn't do it, but now he knows who did.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I know I quoted someone who said that he did do it. I assume the last page was done in order to get him in a secret bunker.

Oh yeah sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just adding on.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think the real question is WHAT DID HE SEE

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

So there's another limited series called Original SINS? I'll probably grab the Thor and Loki limited as well.

Yes, I think it's an anthology book. Maybe 3 stories per issue? All I really know is Chip Zdarsky is writing/drawing one of them and I need it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Red Hulk?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I liked Original Sins. Seems like they are going to get a lot of non-Big 2 talent on these. I only recognized Ryan North from the first issue, but Chip Zdarsky is going to be writing/drawing some part later on.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Unmature posted:

Original Sin: Hulk vs. Iron Man #1 was pretty cool. Is Banner and Stark's pre-superhero friendship precedented in the comics or are they just drawing from the movies?

It's in the Indestructible Hulk Annual.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

IUG posted:

I saw on Diamond that this week had some kind of "Original Sin 3.1". I didn't see it in my shop though. Anyone get that or can just clue me in on what it was?

It is the Hulk Vs. Iron Man series.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dacap posted:

If it's just going to be one guy, I could definitely see this as a good place to use Winter Soldier.

I could see that Bucky had already taken over for Fury and that's how he knew.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

Wait is he being taken off Thor?

I'm sure he just forgot. I haven't heard anything about that at least.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I can't believe they never included him. Do they just not trust him?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I'm a little confused about the having 2 eyes in 1958, didn't he only have one eye back when he was Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos killing Nazis in WW2?

From Wikipedia
"During his time with the CIA, Fury begins wearing his trademark eyepatch (an issue of Sgt. Fury had revealed that he had taken shrapnel to one eye during the war, which caused him to slowly lose sight in it over the course of years)."
So I guess not!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

Space Punisher would be a pretty unique way to take him. There's decades of street vigilante Punisher, and other than just telling a really good self-contained story, I don't know what else there is to do with him. Turn him into Frankenstein? Yeah sure buddy.

I really liked him in Soule's Thunderbolts. Making him work with a team is great.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Original Sins has been a really satisfying tie in book. I want to see Ryan North do more big stuff. The only real bummer was the Dan Slott JJJ bit at the end of #3 in which JJJ fires someone and promises they'll never work in town again because they found a positive article he wrote about Spider-Man. He then burned the article while admitting he was actually pretty proud of the writing. Is there a single redeeming characteristic about Slott's JJJ?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

WHO COULD POSSIBLY BE THOR'S LOST SISTER? IS IT THE CHARACTER ON THE COVER OF THE BOOK?

Wait did they actually try to make it a mystery?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

d00gZ posted:

C'mon, guys, it DID tell us who pulled the trigger. It's obviously Old Fury. The only question is why.

(He wants to release the secrets out into the world, because he's the Snowden in this gigantic NSA metaphor).

There is no reason to suspect that he regrets keeping all these secrets and the fact that he is looking for a replacement means he still believes in what he is doing.
It would be more likely that he wants the watchers secrets for himself to better accomplish his monster killing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

First Bass posted:

What was Howard the Duck's secret?

His secret was that he is garbage.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Mighty Avengers is being canceled because nobody is reading it.

Has that been announced anywhere?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think it would be very highly regarded in BSS if it wasn't for Greg Land. Is Hickman's run going to be done by the time the movie comes out?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Deadpool posted:

He's wrapping up next May. But I'm sure that's totally a coincidence.

I'm sure they've known for a long time when the want the movie to come out and he planned accordingly. It would be really weird for the big two avengers books to be in the end of a three year long very connected run when the movie comes out.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The tagline should now be WHAT DID HE SAY? rather than WHAT DID HE SEE?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
There is a MAJOR thing revealed in Original Sins this week. I feel like something like that should have been in the regular series, it's weird.
Dum Dum has been dead for a long time but Fury keeps replacing him with super LMD's

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

PelvicNerve posted:

How would that even work with Secret Invasion?

"Oh no, my best friend I replaced with a robot has been a Skrull for years"

I think the LMDs he is using are advanced enough that they don't need maintenance or anything, and he basically sees it as his old friend, not the machine he replaced him with.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Ant-Man saying "Hey, aren't we missing someone?" loving killed me.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes. Yes it is. It is easily one of the best crossovers in recent time. I am sure it will be better than AXIS.

Its miles behind Infinity though.
EDIT: Just saying I would be looking more favorably on this if it hadn't followed up Infinity.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Also how well does it read without its tie in? Can you read it without reading the Avengers and New Avengers tie ins and enjoy it like it is with Original Sin?

They aren't really tie-ins they are a part of the book. You'll never see Infinity collected without them.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet they are collected without infinity. I love infinity but you really have to read Avengers and New Avengers from issue 1 to get it, while with Original Sin you can just read the main series. That makes it sort of a better Summer event.

No it just makes it shorter.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

I recently re-read New Avengers, just sticking to the New Avenger's issues.

The Infinity issues make next to no sense when read on their own, if you hadn't read the main Infinity series. So I'd say Original Sin will have that as an advantage over Infinity.

But Infinity was a fantastic story line.

I would say most series wouldn't make much sense if you only read every third issue of a story line. I'll stop derailing here but I'd be happy to yell at you all more about this if you want to take it to the Avengers thread.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I would have liked it more if he was just another guy who stepped into the role of Nick Fury instead of just being his son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The watcher had a kid right before he died so maybe the kid will take his place. Or maybe Uatu will just come back because he can.

• Locked thread