Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Original Sin is the new Marvel event put together by Jason Aaron and Mike Deodato. Infinity just broke the streak of terrible events--

Sorry, let me do that again.

Infinity just broke the streak of terrible Marvel events. Aaron has a chance of making this work even with Deodato just taking picture of his action figures and running them through a filter. This week we got Original Sin #0, which was about Nova (the one who convinced Tony Stark to create the Ultimates) hanging around the Watcher and watching him watch stuff. Said stuff included a world where Venom was in the New Fantastic Four. That sounds loving rad as hell, but instead of that we get comics about Arcade checking out his YouTube hits while surrounded by condoms. It's still a sweet prelude issue with a great ending.

Original Sin is about Uatu the Watcher getting killed and having his eyes torn out. He has magic eyes, you see. He's seen everything that's ever happened on Earth. Captain America punching guys, Johnny Storm rubbing one out, every single XFL game, everything. This is basically the cosmic version of wiping out your browser history. Why did they do it? To keep something a secret? Pissed off that he refused to interfere for the betterment of mankind? Or did they just want his giant eyes and the information that comes with it? Hell, who has the juice to take out a guy capable of standing up to Galactus while sneaking up on a guy who sees all?

It's a big mystery and all your favorites are getting involved. Nick Fury, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Black Widow, SuperPro, Thing, etc. are on the case. You also get Dr. Strange and the Punisher working together, which is weird as hell. Why does Frank Castle give a poo poo about Cosmic Fudd? Extra weird when you remember that a few months ago, Castle was tasked with killing Dr. Strange and was totally cool with it.

Of course, this wouldn't be an event without countless tie-ins. Uatu's eyes are going to spill so many beans because what good is a comic company's status quo if the heroes don't hate each other for terrible acts that they'll forgive each other for in two years? Deadpool is going to find out about how he probably killed his parents as a kid. Blade will remember how ridiculous he looked back in the 70's. Captain America will remember that the Illuminati wiped his mind and be very cross with them because there aren't enough Identity Crisis similarities here. At least it'll be better than when they came out with that lovely miniseries that ripped off Usual Suspects and threw "Identity" in the title to capitalize on DC's big story back in the day.

Ever read Identity Disc? Don't. It's the worst.

As the Eye of Agomatto sinks down into Dr. Strange's testicles, the speculation of the killer builds without the first issue even coming out. Is it Jason Aaron recurring villain the Orb? He has an eyeball for a head and that's pretty topical! Ant-Man? Probably not, but gently caress him for guilt-tripping Uatu over his daughter's death that one time. Black Bolt? In Earth X he tore out Uatu's eyeballs as part of his plan to spread the Terrigen Mists across the world. Janet Van Dyne? She's the ex-wife of a smart, shrinky guy. Gorilla Man? He hasn't shown up in a while and I miss him. Beatrix Kiddo? Rom Spaceknight? Colonel Mustard? Access? Penry the mild mannered jan-i-tor?

I guess we'll find out in several months.

Oh yeah, and Iron Man and Uatu recently found the dead body of the Living Tribunal in space and it hasn't been brought up since. That's probably pretty important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

On talk for #0 I liked it as a bonus Nova issue (especially with Roxon being reduced to just Scooby Doo villains) but man was it weird. Years of Uata just being a dick or crazy or well boring Uata and then just a dump an issue of "well he doesn't like his job and he misses his Dad so feel bad when we graphically murder him in the next issue".

I'm going to feel bad regardless. Not just because I'm What If Fan #1, but because I genuinely feel that Uatu is a fascinating and likeable character. Years back, Christopher Bird did a write-up about Phantom Stranger that more or less explained why I like Uatu:

"The reason the Phantom Stranger is great is because he is the elemental expression of something we all, deep down, want to believe is true (even if we don’t), and that is that the universe gives a poo poo about us."

Uatu isn't supposed to interfere, but he does. He's compelled to. He knows it's against his people's will and he knows that it's not his place as a Watcher, but drat it, he loves the human race too much that he needs to do something.

In other words, gently caress Alex Ross for Earth X Watcher.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They should bring back Uravo from Jeff Parker's Red Hulk run.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

Did anyone guess right?

I'm pretty sure nobody guessed right via avatar use, but one person did suggest the idea once in the thread.

Meanwhile, here are some What If issues I noticed in Watcher's screens in Original Sin #0:

- What If Spider-Man Joined the Fantastic Four?
- What If Jane Foster Found the Hammer of Thor?
- What If Nick Fury Fought World War II in Space?
- What If Dr. Doom Became the Thing?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CzarChasm posted:

Was that actually one that happened? Because I had an idea for that and I thought it was original. Or at least not done by Marvel yet.

It was back in 2005 when Marvel brought back What If as an annual thing. After bitching out Reed, Doom rechecked his calculations and realized he was indeed off. He apologized to Reed and befriended him, causing Reed to spend less attention to Ben, who eventually dropped out of college and joined the army. The whole, "Need to build a barrier to Hell in order to find Doom's mother," thing is completely ignored/dropped.

Years later, Doom's still a dick and he's the pilot when he, Reed, Sue and Johnny go to space. Coincidentally, he picked the date specifically to overshadow a special test Grimm was going to take part in. Doom hits on Sue, she turns him down and when they're in space he's all, "Haha! This time you're the one who made a miscalcuation but I didn't say poo poo! I just made a special suit of armor that will protect me while you all die and I get to live on and take all the glory!" Only it absorbed the cosmic radiation and turned him all orange and rocky. Naturally, he blamed Richards.

They crashed in the desert where Bruce Banner was going to test the gamma bomb. Luckily, that Rick Jones kid was caught and removed by Sgt. Grimm. Then he sees Reed's in trouble and goes off to save him, throwing him into a trench before the explosion goes off. Ultimately, that gives us, "GRIMM CLOBBER DOOM!", Reed apologizes to Ben for being a lovely friend to calm him down, Doom escapes and we have a Fantastic Four.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

The spider that bit Peter also bit someone else.

Spider-Men follow-up?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Flameingblack posted:

Yes, but Dr Strange and Punisher are a duo right now, which is probably something no one's ever wanted or dreamed of before.

From What If Wolverine was Lord of the Vampires?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

On the last page, that's definitely the Orb with a hood on. I'm guessing the redhead is Oubliette in a less dominatrix-like outfit. We know that Dr. Midas is also a part of this, which explains the use of the Mindless Ones. At the end of the Marvel Boy miniseries, Midas was stranded in their dimension, cornered by a bunch of Mindless Ones and desperately wondered how it was possible to twist this to his advantage.

I guess the real story is that they've been working in conjunction with a hero, which we'll find out towards the end.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Senor Candle posted:

What if it's not a hero but a hero's husband/wife. What a crazy twist that would be.

Step 1: Make it Mary Jane Watson.
Step 2: Sit back.
Step 3: Watch the world burn.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

A_Ruse! posted:

Guys. I'm pretty new at this. What's the deal with those gray things that seem to have developed self awareness via the watcher's eyeball? I get that they used to be mindless monsters, and aren't enjoying the whole "conscious thought" thing very much, but I feel like there's some history I'm missing.

They're called the Mindless Ones. They're mindless, super-strong creatures from the Dark Dimension who are usually used as grunts by Dr. Strange's adversary Dormammu.

quote:

Also - who is Dr. Midas, and why are we speculating that he's involved? Based upon a google search, I've gathered that he's a dude who knows how to rock a chunky golden suit of armor.

Dr. Midas is the villain from a well-regarded miniseries from 2000 called Marvel Boy by Grant Morrison. Morrison has a tendency to write really cool, original poo poo for Marvel and DC that is then rarely, if ever, brought up ever again. Midas and his daughter Oubliette are in that pile. Oubliette recently showed up in Young Avengers, but she was just a fake created out of magic meant to gently caress with Marvel Boy. Dr. Midas was a mad scientist whose deal was that he claimed to be an amazing opportunist who could turn any situation to his use. In the end, he was defeated by Marvel Boy and stranded in the Dark Dimension, where he was seemingly doomed to be murdered by a bunch of Mindless Ones.

Oubliette and Midas have shown up on future covers of Original Sin. Considering the Mindless Ones are being used as henchmen and one of the perps is a woman with red hair (almost definitely Oubliette), it's safe to say that Midas is in some level of command. It turns out he WAS able to use the Mindless Ones to his advantage after all.

The guy talking to Oubliette on that last page appears to be the Orb, an old Ghost Rider villain who has been popping up throughout Jason Aaron's Marvel work. His head is a giant eyeball and he wets the bed.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 8, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I guess that was an excuse to take the Nullifier off the table. It takes away from all the other crazy poo poo Midas and the rest have stolen.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Recently in FF, there was a scene where Ant-Man bitched out Uatu for not doing anything when Stature was killed. While it being Ant-Man might be a little too easy, I expect that one of the heroes was behind Uatu's death because they think he's a piece of poo poo for not interfering. The world is full of suffering and he does nothing to stop it when he's more than capable of helping out.

I'd almost think Castle would fit if it didn't involve having to work with villains.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I can see why people are predicting Fury, but I can't help but shake the gut feeling that it's Bucky. He's got the skills to pull it off and I feel that he's about done as a hero in the publication sense. His solo run fizzled out and all he really has going for him is a team comic that isn't exactly setting the world on fire. He doesn't have much going on, so you might as well make him a bad guy.

Plus it would finally give us some payoff on that Next Avengers arc Bendis did years back.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DynamicSloth posted:

The Watcher was really a Wraith guys, trust me.

...I think.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

"Feel the torment of a billion billion...extinguished souls. Experience the pain...ofeternalguilt."

Ghost Rider sounds like a teenage goth William Shatner in that and it's so much better then the cliche demon voice they are usually portrayed with.

The greatest compliment Richard Grieco has ever received.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

With all the parallels between Original Sin and Identity Crisis, it's pretty great that the second issue ends with a one-eyed supervillain facing down a group of heroes while protecting the prime suspect.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Codependent Poster posted:

So he's going to beat them all up?

I would mark out.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Another thing is that I think there's more than one investigation here. Much like how we're led to believe that there was only one party murdering and pillaging when they're probably not, we're also led to believe that every team-up is put together by Nick Fury. But has that even been confirmed?

Outside of the main Cap/Iron Man group, scenes with the other teams have gone out of their way not to mention Nick Fury. Notable instances include Black Panther's conversation with who we're supposed to think is Nick and Dr. Strange interrupting himself when he's about to identify their benefactor.

If that's what's going on, then that leads to even more questions. Who is it? Why is there a separate couple of investigations? Who is someone who'd be able to rope in both Dr. Strange and the Punisher if it's not Nick Fury?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DynamicSloth posted:

It's explicitly not Nick Fury who sent out Strange, Punisher, Panther, Emma and Lang according to the Original Sin#2 recap page.

Huh. So it is. I never read those pages because I know who superheroes are. I guess the joke's on me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Question IRL posted:

Prediction: Gavok is the real killer.

That's insane! Why would I kill Uatu?! I love Uatu!

...now to host my own alternate reality comic series.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

While I'm in the camp that the Fury that died was an LMD and the real Fury is the one behind it all, is there anyone else that that mysterious benefactor could even be? Oldish guy with short, gray hair is a pretty narrow mystery, even if they do shadow his face.

I can't unsee the classic Punisher costume now with the other guy.

Also, if Fury couldn't see any secrets because he's an LMD, then the Deadpool editor hosed up.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

d00gZ posted:

I really hope Old Nick Fury survives Original Sin so he can get into an old-man cane-fight with depowered Steve Rogers. Just broken walkers and wheelchairs everywhere.

Old Nick Fury and Old Steve Rogers are stuck in a retirement home with nobody believing their the real deals and then they have to fight a cowboy mummy preying on the elderly.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So let me get this straight. People are annoyed at the story because a military-trained, overly-competent, grizzled, one-eyed guy has been depicted as way too competent and way too badass that it all falls apart when you look at it critically for more than five seconds?

Wow. This really is Identity Crisis for Marvel.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

He's also going to be in Patton Oswalt's Star Wars sequel.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Unmature posted:

I really dug that series on the whole.

Tony losing his poo poo over Banner suggesting that everyone would be better off if he was dead made it for me.

Science bros :unsmith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well poo poo certainly went down today. Can anyone figure out what the whisper says?

It probably isn't, but I'd like to believe it relates to Good Loki's death.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Maybe Fury told Thor, "I want a divorce."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dacap posted:

The whole concept of the watchers is different in Ultimate too, there they are those weird floating staffs.

And in one world he was a psychiatrist with a mustache.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

First Bass posted:

e: I still want to know what Doom's sin was.

Got beat up by a teenage girl whose power is squirrels.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

Off the top of my head

Maybe Iron Man helped create the Hulk? He was pretty drunk back then but it's still Banner's hubris that caused it/it's still Banner's fault.
Daredevil's mother had post-partum depression which is why she left.
Xavier mind wiped a super powerful mutant pre-X-Men days and had been continually placing mental blocks in him since then to stop him killing everybody. Also he married Mystique at a point.
Someone else got bit by the magic Spider that bit Peter
Angela is Thor's sister
Nick Fury has been going around pre-emptively killing anybody who would threaten Earth
Dum Dum Duggan has always been a robot
Nova's Dad is still alive
Luke Cage's dad was a superhero
Bendis still hasn't revealed what happened to Dick Rider
Cap found out about the Illuminati
And some other things happened.

Also, Deadpool's daughter is still alive and, while we don't know the details, Deadpool killed his own parents.

Waterhaul posted:

Fury was dying and Uatu wanted Fury to take his place. He knew if he summoned some bad dudes, like the Orb and Midas to his base, that Fury would show up given the stakes. He was fed up of watching, had seen his own death and accepted that his time had come. He'd also seen everything that Fury had done and knew that Fury would be the right replacement.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I saw it as Uatu being completely disgusted with Fury's actions, regularly committing genocide for the greater good. Since Uatu can't interfere outright, he puts events in motion that expose Fury at the cost of his own life. He simply couldn't go on living with the knowledge that he was letting Fury get away with everything.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet Fury had a replacement so he died for nothing. I wonder if Bucky will be doing the same job but differently.

Not for nothing. Fury received a fitting punishment for his crimes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

Wasn't Fury "on the wall" for like 60 years? Pretty lovely job by The Watcher.

I can see it as less simply stopping him and more about exposing him. Fury was dying and nobody was going to know what he did.

The one plus for Uatu when it comes to Bucky is that his actions aren't going to be as secretive in the long run because certain people are going to be more familiar with what he's doing. He WILL be discovered.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Web Jew.0 posted:

I don't know if it's still canon or whatever but in the first Galactus story ever Uatu mentioned that Galactus can't lie.

That's because of a wish Silver Surfer made when Galactus missed his birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Question IRL posted:

Odin telling his children he loves them, even (young) Loki. And how furious this made Old Loki because Odin never said he loved him.

I'm wondering if that's going to be important down the line. The whole threat in Loki's book is that Old Loki is what he's destined to one day become and there's nothing he can do about it. Like it's some kind of non-linear time travel. If that's the case, then based on Old Loki's reaction, Odin's words could very well make a huge difference in what Young Loki becomes.

• Locked thread