Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

does the omnibox learn your tab completions yet or is chrome still poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Boxturret posted:

which part of web 2.0 is not having separate pages? because i for one love having to remember to scroll for 10 minutes instead of going to page 10

this is called infinite scrolling and it is universally reviled by anybody who isn't an idiot web developer

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I like how they encode the "page" number in the URL, but they still managed to gently caress up the back button.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

infernal machines posted:

backup storage cost several times more per gb than standard storage, because reasons.

if I had to guess, backup storage is reliable, standard storage isn't.

I think google has pricing plans for that kind of thing too, but they give you reliable by default and offer cheaper unreliable storage if you want to live dangerously

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

still can't pick from a list of your contacts

or bookmarked locations

or even give your bookmarked locations a name

on the other hand, lane guidance!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no, now Google Maps will look in your iOS Contacts for people's home/work addresses, not just your Google Contacts

the Latitude thing got moved into Google+

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They have $150 billion in the bank.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

hey (out)look at this leaked gmail 4.0 screen

we looked at this on page 16, it is still ugly on page 17

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

good save, but next time you should consult wikipedia first

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Apple Maps is a weird microcosm of every anti-competitive thing they're doing with iOS

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

except you can install google maps which is freely provided by apple's own servers and never have to deal with it
let me know when Google Maps is allowed to respond to Siri voice commands, replace the lock screen, use custom banner notification icons or share data usage between apps

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

computer parts posted:

i'm guessing you think iTunes is also anti-competitive

sure, its the only music app that's allowed to be indexed by Spotlight or respond to Siri. their Podcasts app is also anti-competitive in the same way.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

quick, somebody post that android vine

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://vine.co/v/MgWLMmmwUQQ

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yeah, they bought zagat and integrated it into maps and/or google+

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

embedding the HTML renderer in the OS was complete bullshit, upgrading from IE 3 to IE 4 broke all of the integrated documentation in Visual Studio 5

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

do you think he meant that computers would destroy your attention span, concentration and long term memory or that they are a tool of the government and/or reptile men to control the masses?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

its a news aggregation site by and for idiot web developer and founders

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the google experience is everyone being in their own private A/B testing hell, all the time

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Boxturret posted:

why does youtube have that red loading bar at the top now?

because it isn't loading a new page, its just replacing the center content and updating the UI while pushing a new URL onto the stack using the DOM history API

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

AWWNAW posted:

does advertising actually like... work on anyone whose mouth isn't perpetually hanging open

yes.

it induces familiarity with a brand

the very first time you buy a type of product, you're more likely to choose a brand you're familiar with than one you aren't

once you've bought a brand a single time, you're more likely to buy that same brand again when you next refill

this is why pregnant women are a goldmine to advertisers -- they're about to start buying a shitload of products they've never bought before, and they'll keep buying some or all of them for the next 18 years

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

isn't BOOTSTRA.386 the new hotness in stylesheet technology?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

Google can't format email properly and has the typical IT department response

http://mathiasbynens.be/notes/gmail-plain-text

you think they would understand email at this point

the guy complaining is a moron, quoted printable isn't plain text and asking for it as if it were is idiotic, especially because HTML mail already solves his word wrap case

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yes, that reason is your message body must not be MIME encoded because you're interacting with a terrible ancient legacy system, and weirdly enough encoding it using quoted-printable ruins that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

in conclusion, the OP is a precious twenty-something hacker news star child whining about something he doesn't understand because it makes his iphone look funny and PleasureKevin imported this idiocy to yospos so that we all might suffer

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that's an excellent summary of his complaint

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Apple maps is actually capable of parsing my home address now, so I guess it has improved.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

are games with ads still called "free" ?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what never lived cannot die

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I've probably posted this before, but the irritating thing is that they could've sold G+ to the public without much difficulty or any mockery at all if they'd framed it completely differently:

Phase 1: Hey, we realized that having a bunch of different contact lists was awkward and confusing, so we've unified them into social circles! Now you have a unified address book across all our services, so whenever you want to send an email, add an editor to a Google Doc, share a photo album or YouTube video, you use the same interface and same groupings of people you know.

Phase 2: Wow, we have a bunch of different services that want to tell you what's going on, so we've unified them into a single activity feed at Google.com that we call Google+. Now whenever somebody shares a YouTube video or Picasa photo album with you, sends you an Gmail, asks you to comment on edits to your Google Docs, or invites you to a Google Calendar event, or when your package ships, traffic conditions change, news articles or RSS feeds you're interested in are published or you get instant messaged, it will show up in one place on your Google.com homepage.

Phase 3: We've realize that sometimes you want to send the people you know a quick note about what you're up to without having to compose an Gmail or upload a video to YouTube, so we've added a quick way to post a message, video or photo album to the Google+ activity feeds of your social circles without having to leave Google+ for Gmail, YouTube or Picasa.

Phase 4: Hey, you can share stuff from third party web sites to Google+ now, or even log in using your Google+ identify if you want.

But instead they made a Facebook and told everybody who already hated Facebook that they should use the Google Facebook instead and it went nowhere. And then they added the shittier aspects of Facebook like corporate Facebook pages and Facebook games and it was just poo poo all around.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

theadder posted:

did u rly type all that out in this yospos

hey man, its a sunny saturday in the middle of the summer and I've had like four piņa coladas and a couple mojitos, I can armchair CEO if I want and also gently caress you

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

so if Google plus was actually a completely different service it might have succeeded?

ok, I can see that

incidentally if Microsoft had made the iPhone first they would probably be doing a lot better!!

nah, it'd've ended up being largely the same, but the roll out woud've been different and they wouldn't have been assholes and killed off Google Reader

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

btw, I have it straight from a Google employee that the official internal explanation of why Google Reader was killed off was:

1. The only department that would make sense for Google Reader would've been Google+
2. Google+ didn't want Reader because they didn't want machine generated content

which doesn't make any loving sense since most RSS content is directly created by humans, but whatever, NewsBlur is reasonably priced and wildly better than Google Reader

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pram posted:

do people really use rss anymore lol

yes, manuallly polling web sites when we have computers to do it for us automatically is moronic

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hey, I'm just going to visit a web site that I looked at 20 minutes ago to check if maybe anything has changed and generate a bunch of ad impressions because my time is worthless and I'm an idiot.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it was free, adequate, and acted as a backing store for a bunch of popular phone apps

not surprising at all really

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what would be the point?

it did two things: fetched feeds at regular intervals, and kept track of which idividual items a user account had viewed. there was also some kind of weird social network sharing thing that apparently a vocal minority used, but who gives a gently caress about that?

that's basically all you need to build more useful and powerful apps if youwant , and more than dequate if you're just using the web site directly

alternatives weren't necessary until it ceased to exist

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nope, that wasn't an issue at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what's it take to make your own TLD?

yos.pos would be p. sweet

• Locked thread