Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google wants you to search for everything. if you knew the url you wouldn’t need google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Microsoft crippled a generation of computing by owning the pc market with no competition, blocking both hardware and software innovation.

google crippled a generation of mobile computing by making android free so it’s the only option for anyone making any type of device.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fishmech posted:

looks like the guy who made apple computers suck harder than ever is mad nobody used his dead operating systems lol

yeah, that guy is so mad lol.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
normals don’t go to urls, they go to websites or click on links. nobody types in a path into their machine. the url has become essentially useless to humans, it is simply a machine resource locator backing up symbolic hyperlinks.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

did you ever bookmark or share anything? congrats on your url

urls are like ip addresses. they are for machines and computer nerds. they are implementation details. nobody cares what the url in their bookmark is, it’s just an entry in their browser that goes to a page. sharing is copying and pasting a link. yes, it’s a url. it’s better if there’s a descriptive link name, otherwise you’re left to try to guess the content from what’s essentially a path and query parameters.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
searchin’ ain’t easy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

why on earth did they make flutter? lol

because inventing languages and frameworks is much more fun than shipping products

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
clear your schedules, google’s got an event coming up.

https://twitter.com/madebygoogle/status/1048569831660777472

oh, what could this possibly be?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
spoiler alert, it’s a pixel 3. oh, here’s a full review (in Chinese) by some people that got their hands on a retail device.

https://unwire.hk/2018/10/05/google-pixel-3-xl-detail-review/review-2/

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
get hype

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1048590988543811584

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Linguica posted:

if i was a conspiracy theorist i would think that facial unlock technology is a long term plan to empower cops to force people to unlock their phones routinely, since no one has a reasonable expectation of privacy in the appearance of their own face and you're not actually coercing them to anything except continue standing there so blah blah fourth amendment doesn't apply

even if you’re a cynical conspiracist this is a dumb theory because companies don’t put in more expensive hardware into their phones for the benefit of the cops.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
flutter exists to decouple google apps from android. I don’t mean to imply there’s a bigger overall strategy at google, because there isn’t, just that some team has this need so here we are.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fishmech posted:

Even better u could just not enable gimmick logins altogether

but then you couldn’t post anymore

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

lol it's true

g+ did its job people are mostly logged in all the time when they hit yt or search or whatever so gj i guess. anyone want to hear my vic gundotra story?

plz

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
let’s not pretend like google+ wasn’t a panicked response to the rise of Facebook. google had created an array of services and massive panopticon to try to understand who the users are so it can target them better. then comes fb and users are literally telling Facebook everything about them. all of that juicy targeting info, of the highest quality, just typed right in for Facebook to use. Facebook ads were starting to cut into google’s sales. they grabbed a significant chunk of the online ad market. they are a significant competitor. and now they have tracking bugs everywhere, which work great because everyone is always logged into Facebook already. and you can log in with Facebook into everything.

oh, and let’s not forget that Facebook was siphoning off google engineers at a rapid clip. they had an IPO coming up and later fast rising shares, whereas google stock was stagnant for a long time there. at one point google gave all employees a 10% raise across the board to try and stem the bleeding.

google was scared. they were losing share of the online ad market to the first real competitor they’ve ever had. they were losing employees. they were missing out on so much tasty data and ad opportunities because people spent so much time inside Facebook properties and were so trusting with their personal info. and so, g+.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rex-Goliath posted:

i've felt for a long time that if they'd kept their cool and slowly consolidated their services to gradually mimic and then overcome facebook they would have been massively successful

basically take igoogle and slowly creep/normalize the social features in by leveraging the fact people were already using gchat / youtube

this requires having an attention span

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm getting youtube preroll surveys rn asking me my opinion of candidates in NJ's third district.

I live in Michigan.

google is great at understanding their users and their ad targeting is worth every penny

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

gotta admit im impressed you went with deer hunting and snow instead of job searches and videos about urban decay but maybe you havent been to michigan recently

he assumed you’re more of an upper peninsula type (redneck)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Krankenstyle posted:

samsung makes everything except automatic sentry guns

Samsung literally makes automatic sentry guns

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

incels interlinked posted:

that dude could have just shut the gently caress up and pocketed tons of money and worked on whatever he wanted to in his ample free time but instead engaged in a massive public self own

he had to prove that he’s right. that’s more important than money or career development or saying bye to grandma.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there’s computer science and there’s software development. different disciplines. college should teach you data structures and algorithms and complexity. that’s computer science. they should then teach you engineering principles to deal with these.
unfortunately to bootstrap these they need to teach you some stupid language. hopefully it’s something somewhat practical but with minimal complexity to get in your way while you learn the important stuff.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

lol @ the verge

double lol

"oh noooo were losing mind share" shrieks timb as he prepares for a $100bn holiday quarter

google isn’t in this to make money, you guys. they are trying to prove a point. that point being that they can make a knockoff iPhone except worse in every way except camera benchmarks.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

they did that

..um, ten years ago

this time it’s different.

it’s a premium phone. you can tell by the price tag

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

For context Levandowski is the guy that went on to Uber and prompted the trade secrets stealing lawsuit

that guy is a real piece of poo poo eric schmidt

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

you need to know how to write data structures from scratch because everywhere you interview will give you a stupid coding challenge where you have to do that or some smuglord who parses zip codes all day will ask you to reverse a linked list on a whiteboard so he can feel smart

if you can’t reverse a linked list then you shouldn’t be writing code. it is a test of fundamental skills and one of the most basic things you can do in programming. anyone who feels smart about being able to do it must feel extremely smart when they tie their shoes in the morning

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
people not understanding the implications of their code is why you need a quad core computer with 16 gigs of ram to run a web browser.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Krankenstyle posted:

LinkedList newlist = linkedlist.reverse();

:hehe:

thanks for coming, a recruiter will be in touch

*crumples resumé and shoots it into the recycle bin*

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
who the gently caress thinks letting google build stuff in your town is a good idea? not just because of the obvious constant spying, but because they don’t have the attention span to see anything through.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google is building their new headquarters building here on shoreline boulevard and right now it just looks like a big crazy tent made of steel. oh, and nothing like their original concept.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol they’re going to sell like 5 of these. how long until they fire sale?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dodoman posted:

The night sight camera shots being shared in the iyg android thread are crazy, might be the first good thing google has done in a while.

have they used them for creeping purposes yet?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

ages ago it was discovered that sony's low-light near ir mode on their handycams had a tendency to show underwear and boobs through clothing, i assume that's what the management is referring to

in general creepy dudes will find a way to use a camera that takes pictures where they couldn’t before for creepy purposes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

YouTube is designed to channel users into content areas where they are likely to view more videos. for many people that means it finds the conspiracy theories that they are most vulnerable to and keeps pushing them deeper. it is literally a machine for breaking people’s brains

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my impression is that sundar is an actual adult whereas the Larry, Sergei, Eric, and Andy show was all intern groping and sex dungeons

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

iCloud data is end to end encrypted. Apple doesn’t see your data and neither can their cloud storage vendors. Apple could hack it, but the storage vendors cannot.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

looks like you're wrong, it's only encrypted so that google can't read it

welp, I hope tim is enjoying my pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m using a browser made by an advertising company. what could go wrong?

• Locked thread