Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

eh if it's something you figure out in the interview maybe. i've got no interest in seeing someone's algo that they memorized

reversing a linked list is trivial nowhere near asking someone to, say, detect a cycle in the list, which is a problem with a known solution, but if you don't know the solution you probably aren't going to come up with it on the spot seeing as how it was an unsolved problem for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

getting a bachelor's in CS kinda sucks cause it turns out that all that stuff's been done already and what you actually do is use a library. actual value of my degree is, uh, I can spot o(n^2) loops pretty good. i bought some algo books a while back just in case i needed to do some work where it wasn't immediately apparent what library to use, and nope. have never needed them

sometimes its relevant to know which library data structure/algorithm is appropriate, usually n is too small for that to be relevant though

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Lol, look at these jokers using libraries all willy nilly in their progrums.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
people not understanding the implications of their code is why you need a quad core computer with 16 gigs of ram to run a web browser.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LinkedList newlist = linkedlist.reverse();

:hehe:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Krankenstyle posted:

thanks for coming, a recruiter will be in touch

*crumples resumé and shoots it into the recycle bin*

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Management posted:

thanks for coming, a recruiter will be in touch

*crumples resumé and shoots it into the recycle bin*

lol im white as hell, theyll hire me as long as i dont poo poo my pants in the interview

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

senior zip code parser

Is this the term we're using now, because i like it

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
hell, i've never even had to use a linked list :smaug:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

isn’t list reversal just a FizzBuzz for C programmers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
actually, everything is written in excel vba macros

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

elite_garbage_man posted:

Lol, look at these jokers using libraries all willy nilly in their progrums.

on the other hand i've worked with people who just looove the opportunity to skip out on using a well established supported library to roll their own web app bundler, or orm, or service bus, or whatever.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

open palm slams resume into shredder

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
oh my god do the people who work at google really this level of help https://twitter.com/madebygoogle/status/1052602940328939520

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

jfc

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

oh my god do the people who work at google really this level of help https://twitter.com/madebygoogle/status/1052602940328939520

"should I eat this dried reddish brown fruit set among peppers? idk, maybe the computer should know if this thing is just cellulose or actually just cellulose and capsaicin"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

anthonypants posted:

lol its not april 1.. wtf google

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
maybe google should have told her that water will only make it worse and she needs to find milk

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

poty posted:

maybe google should have told her that water will only make it worse and she needs to find milk

shutup you aren't my real pixel 3 mom!!!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/anandwrites/status/1053670769056600065

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_zt3kGW1NM

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

we're all feeing awkward right now

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

we're all feeing awkward right now

well i mean, i'm wearing pants but it's by choice and could change at any moment

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring
ban this project and don't let advertising companies build infrastructure

quote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ann-cavoukian-sidewalk-data-privacy-1.4872223

A privacy expert who resigned this week from her role as an advisor to Sidewalk Labs, the Google sister company set to build a "smart" neighbourhood on Toronto's waterfront, is concerned that the "treasure trove" of data collected there will be vulnerable to attacks.

Cavoukian said Sunday she chose to resign after a Thursday meeting between Sidewalk Labs and Waterfront TO, the organization responsible for revitalizing the city's lakeshore.

It was there that Sidewalk Labs revealed that, while it has committed to stripping all of the data it collects of personal identifiers, it could not guarantee that other groups participating in the project would do the same. "When I heard that, I knew I had to resign," Cavoukian said in an interview on CBC News Network.

The 12-acre smart neighbourhood, called Quayside, would undoubtedly amass an extraordinary quantity of data from sensors embedded into the physical infrastructure. A key part of Cavoukian's advisory role was helping Sidewalk implement privacy-protecting measures into the design of the area. Most critically, she has advocated for stripping any given data point of all personally identifiable details right away using well-established techniques, as there is no opportunity for people to actually consent to collection of the information. For its part, Sidewalk Labs has committed to doing that.

On Monday, however, the company proposed that all of the data generated by Quayside be kept in a "civic data trust." This way, no one entity would own all of it. "This trust would approve and control the collection of, and manage access to, urban data originating in Quayside," wrote Alyssa Harvey Dawson, head of data governance at Sidewalk Labs, in an online post.

But there was a catch, Cavoukian said. De-identification of data by the various stakeholders in the trust would not be mandatory, only "encouraged" by Sidewalk Labs.

"That's not good enough," Cavoukian said. "The only way to address this issue to ensure privacy — which I must do — is to de-identify at source at the time of collection."

In her resignation letter sent to Sidewalk Labs on Friday, Cavoukian phrased her concerns this way:

"Just think of the consequences: If personally identifiable data are not de-identified at source, we will be creating another central database of personal information (controlled by whom?), that may be used without data subjects' consent, that will be exposed to the risks of hacking and unauthorized access," she wrote. "As we all know, existing methods of encryption are not infallible and may be broken, potentially exposing the personal data of Waterfront Toronto residents! Why take such risks?"

Cavoukian's departure comes weeks after TechGirls Canada founder Saadia Muzaffar left her role on the advisory panel. Muzaffar said she had "profound concerns" about apparent "a lack of leadership regarding shaky public trust" and what she considered unacceptable questions around privacy and intellectual property.

lol that they expected anything else to happen when they added Ann Cavoukian, who is very good, to this mix

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that is approximately the least surprising thing ever. they have been cagey and evasive about their data policies since day one, cavoukian was hired to put those fears to rest. presumably they didn't count on her actually doing her job.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
who the gently caress thinks letting google build stuff in your town is a good idea? not just because of the obvious constant spying, but because they don’t have the attention span to see anything through.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the people running the waterfront toronto board, because reasons. do not ask what those reasons are. also ignore the fact that we just ousted the ceo over issues of transparency relating to this deal

i've been mocking this poo poo since day one, for exactly the reason you mentioned. their rfp is nearly 200 pages of blue-sky bullshit and part of their proposal assumed they'd be allowed to bypass the permit and approvals process and just build whatever because the red tape is too restrictive for innovators

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 22, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
post the pics from the rfp that had the cablecars in them

that poo poo was excellent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and lastly

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

boy oh boy I sure do love expensive, inefficient horseshit sign me up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hahahahahahahahahaha oh man

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

boy oh boy I sure do love expensive, inefficient horseshit sign me up

my dude, have you considered moving to toronto? because we have that in spades.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

my dude, have you considered moving to toronto? because we have that in spades.

Ford Nation™️ deserves every horrible thing it gets

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hahahahahahahahahaha oh man

fill your boots. start around page 22 for some good stuff

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

I’m the brewery on the 8th floor, makes it super easy to move the kegs in and out and not at all expensive to pump water up here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
*submits proposal map that looks like diarrhea* actually it's cutting edge efficient design

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

its option-2 OP ™

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*submits proposal map that looks like diarrhea* actually it's cutting edge efficient design

it's about radical re-imagining of shared spaces

~*designs street layouts identical to failed neighbourhoods of 50 years prior*~

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i know a bunch of architects and all but two smoke a ton of weed before work every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

*googler thinking harder than anything they'd ever thought of before*

what if..... construction..... was like a computer??

• Locked thread