Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

jesus christ why did he do the interview. he's so proud that he couldnt just slink off and try to rehabilitate himself in the next few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

oh my god

https://twitter.com/tfadell/status/738867479343026176

he's calling in all the favors he has to spin this

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY

gently caress i forgot how good this video was. could u imagine if this was an apple employee and this was an apple product? there would be like 20 million views, every fuckin tech blog would be posting it and mainstream media would be talking about it. would be way bigger than any of the apple "controversies" like bendgate or antennagate

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

poty posted:

lol angry man gets owned by silicon valley nerds.flv

if you think thats bad wait until they turn off the cloud

that already happened with another nest acquisition lol https://arlogilbert.com/the-time-that-tony-fadell-sold-me-a-container-of-hummus-cb0941c762c1#.pcdi9wwph

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

hey everybody. another google earnings report is out in a few days which means google PR has gotten another puff piece about them, this time in the NYT. just a little message to google investors about the innovation going on at the X labs and how it's not like every other corporate R&D division at other irrelevant tech companies from the past

cool quotes

quote:

How much money could the company save if you could get them to cut bait a year earlier?

“That’s the magic,” Mr. Teller said. “But they won’t do it. They will not raise their hands and say, ‘This project is just not what we should be working on,’ unless you start bonusing them, unless they can get a promotion for ending their project.”

Failure bonuses are also an example of how X, which was set up independent of Google from the outset, is a leading indicator of sorts for how the autonomous Alphabet could work. In Alphabet, employees who do not work for Mother Google are supposed to have their financial futures tied to their own company instead of Google’s search ads. At X, that means killing things before they become too expensive.

"we are actually very financially disciplined which is why we kill projects fast and give bonsues for doing so"

quote:

One of the best ways to save money, Mr. Teller said, is to encourage employees to kill projects before they become expensive — hence the bonus for the Foghorn team. X staff meetings begin with a “premortem” process in which people predict how various technologies might fall short. Employees’ laptops are decorated with stickers of crumpled-up paper that represent the end of past efforts.

lol

quote:

Unlike Google, where software engineers are kings, X is run by an eclectic batch of scientists and tinkerers whose backgrounds range from math, physics and chemistry to design, fashion and public art. The line “I’m not an engineer” seems to be a point of pride. Rich DeVaul, who heads a “rapid evaluation” team whose job is to hatch and kill ideas in short order, guessed that fewer than half the employees have engineering degrees (he doesn’t).

“I would argue that the great strength of X, in fact, is that basically we aren’t just a bunch of techies,” he said.

"we're actually not a bunch of geeks and this poo poo we're making has a real chance of becoming a business. please associate google X with apple and steve jobs and 'marrying technology with the liberal arts'"

and the reality

quote:

The combination of big ideas, lofty rhetoric and a strict code of secrecy has made X a source of endless speculation and conspiracy theories. The one you hear most frequently, usually from competitors and venture capitalists, is that X is a giant public relations plan to distract regulators from Google’s search business, which is under scrutiny around the world.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

every engineer on that team got a bonus because google's (now alphabet's i guess) compensation structure is base+bonus+stock. you get the bonus every year if you're not about to be fired.

this is a failure bonus for failing fast. google believes this is how innovation happens

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

The bottom Nexus bezel is so big because it's a recycled design that used to house a fingerprint reader.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

fuckin lol

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

my man i got you covered don't worry

when are you going to realize that google is a piece of poo poo and that it has no idea what its doing? i can understand being a loyal company man when you first start working there but its been a few years now

start a blog like mini microsoft and start writing about the ways google is poo poo. hangouts and google's messaging strategy is the perfect fodder for the first topic and you're at ground zero. i guarantee u it will be more meaningful than the years of work you put into hangouts

http://minimsft.blogspot.com/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/SamsungSupport/status/767826907656179712

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

holy moly

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

The Management posted:

Nest’s entire platform team will become part of Google, which also resides under the Alphabet umbrella, in order to create a unified Internet of things platform. It will be led by longtime Google executive Hiroshi Lockheimer, who currently serves as senior vice president of Android and who recently assumed more responsibility for “living room” products. The combined group also will continue to work on Google Home, a smart speaker rival to the Amazon Echo, while simultaneously fending off Amazon challenges elsewhere in the smart home.

Nest and Google are likely to pitch this as an obvious synergy, but it also plays into ongoing efforts to pare costs at smaller Alphabet units other than Google. By moving Nest software developers over to Google payroll, Nest’s financial situation would improve dramatically (so long as new Nest-branded products continue to be developed).

people unironically said google was going to the "21st century GE" and larry page invited comparisons to berkshire hathaway in a big FT interview

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

also, lol at AT&T going savage on Google over their failed Internet plans.

http://www.attpublicpolicy.com/fcc/broadband-investmentnot-for-the-faint-of-heart/

this is the company who are saving everything. getting into every industry and disrupting it on a huge scale, money being no object.

holy poo poo. that's incredible

imagine getting punked this hard by AT&T on their corporate blog

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the verge finally asks why google is just poo poo and what i could have told you years ago (and did)

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/2/12764558/google-alphabet-cancelled-products-project-ara-summer-2016

cremnob posted:

fuzzy mammal the sooner u let go of any loyalty u have to google and start treating it as a job u do at a lovely company the happier u will be. google x and the like are jedi mind tricks from management designed to brainwash the drones working for them. they want u to think u work at an innovative tech company, but really ur working at an internet utility that makes its money selling search ads. just ask ur self why the "innovation" never materializes into anything real.

ur plugged into the matrix fuzzy mammal. ur living in a fiction created by google management and ur being strung along with propaganda about larry's "20 year vision". but deep down u know there is no vision. u know that the most innovative thing google did in its entire history as a company was (if we're being generous) making a new search engine in a crowded space. its next hit product was gmail, literally an email service. does that seem like vision to u? no, ur not that dumb. in ur heart u understand that innovation was never part of google's origin story and that as an institution it lacks the skill set to be a real innovative company

when ur ready to take the red pill and take this sucker down, let me know

i tried to save fuzzy mammal years ago but he wanted to believe so badly. he could have started the next mini microsoft blog for google and it would have been a cult hit for everyone in silicon valley and the press covering it. it would have been more meaningful than the years of work he's put into hangouts, only to see it flounder because of managerial incompetence. there is no 20 year vision at google, there's just larry and sergei who checked out years ago from google and then formalized it with creating alphabet because they had delusions of being the 21st century GE. these punks are academics from stanford that just happened to stumble onto a goldmine by accident. they hire people like them with the same elite pedigrees thinking this is the key to success and have nothing to show for it

meanwhile apple, the company started by a college drop out and whose executives all come from state schools (the only exception being scott forstall who went to stanford and coincidentally? no longer works there and makes broadway plays), continues to dominate.

google is good at doing computer science and other science projects that they will never turn into business or product success. they won't be around in 50 years

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

in 50 years i hope google is a verizon company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

google puts a single toy back in the toy box and media declares it's now all grown up

LOL

• Locked thread