Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Egan Yardley posted:

my fav is when they blur out animal faces

my fav is when they blur out the numbers on buildings, defeating the entire purpose of having a maps integrated 360 virtual view of a location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Install Windows posted:

I hate when things are set so link colors don't chat after clicking

my link colours never chat, weird. maybe i'm using really unsociable css

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

I actually like Google okay, they have good services if you're a small business. It does suck how they abruptly drop things or modify interfaces, often with little input from the outside.

Butts

:yosbutt:

microsoft has better services for small business too. actual exchange, for one, so you're not stuck using some POS sync connector with outlook. and they have an actual product support lifecycle, so you know they're not just going to one day drop support for imap/caldav/activesync/whatever without telling anyone.

i used google apps for business for a couple years, i moved everything to office 365 as part of the beta program a few years ago and it is so much better it's not even funny.

google is poo poo for business because products and features live or die at the whims of the ballpit spergs. you literally don't know if a business critical feature will exist in a week

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm actually warming up to the idea of exchange as SaaS. but gently caress migrating mailboxes to smb accounts.

exchange online supports direct migration from exchange server, office 365, which is identical feature wise, does not. you can only migrate mailboxes by exporting to PST, then importing to the new account.

the new server essentials role does native azure ad integration and office 365/exchange integration out of the box. it's ridiculously simple to set up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Caged posted:

office 365 has a full exchange online console. you can do proper migrations with it.

afik the exchange server integration is only available with the Ex plans, not the Px small business plans. you can't mix the plans within a domain and the per license cost of the Px plans is lower so it tends to be what businesses with les than 25 licenses are using.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i just think "what if you only had one plan that was $5 per seat-month or $50 per seat-year"

why do that when you can have 15 plans covering every price point with every level of feature and product availability spread amongst them.

some of the features may or may not be listed on the license comparison page, because those features are specific to types of licenses, and are enumerated elsewhere in a document you won't find unless you know the specific name this week to search for.

it's like a secret menu for your SaaS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

also azure is more expensive than aws, although you can really easily accuse aws of being cryptic as gently caress about pricing models

azure also has separate pricing for storage based on the intended use. backup storage cost several times more per gb than standard storage, because reasons.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Caged posted:

right, you need enterprise to federate with ad to be able to extend your onsite exchange to *~the cloud~*, but you definitely can migrate from onsite exchange into any office 365 plan using native exchange poo poo (e.g. the way outlook connects to exchange, whatever the one that isnt activesync is). just make an account with full access to all the mailboxes on your on-prem exchange, and feed those details into the migration wizard and it goes off and does the rest.

nice. last i looked the ms technet article and the support group said the MAPI migration tool wasn't supported with the SMB plans.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

AtomD posted:

did u try going in to powershell and typing "export-" and pressing tab a lot?

i did not, i rtfm'd. that was my mistake.

e. i just looked, there is a difference between the small business and "midsize" business plans

Caged posted:

or that they have to pick between push email on their iphone or being able to flag messages. google apps looks very much like a project thats been abandoned because something a bit shinier came along and all the staff got bored.

google_products.odf

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 6, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yup. there is no exchange admin interface in the small business plans.

the instructions here don't work because this "Click Admin, and then click Exchange" doesn't exist in the P1 and P2 plans.

gooo microsoft. and yet it's still better than google apps for business by a country mile

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

article comments posted:

This does not work for Partners who have delegated Admin access for their clients. The old interface was easier, why is it hidden even from the Admin. Is there another hidden avenue for this for Partners who resell and support several clients?

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Smythe posted:

Most Pro Gamers are forced by the sponsor overlords to max out their gains and get cut or swole depending on their nation of origin. e.g. Koreans like their men lean and cut but Russians like their men hulked out and huge. Some little insights I've picked up throughout my fandom.

how do you like your men Smythe?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh poo poo. looks like that pastebin thing was real after all.

wow! oh wow!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

greenpos hurts my eyes :shobon:

after years of drug abuse i get weird persistence of vision with that colour of green. them amber does it too but not nearly as badly.

thanks yospos.

thospos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that sure is a goddamn wall of text up there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

could you imagine what would happen to google if we had that mid-90s hunger for antitrust enforcement in the states again?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

A slap on the wrist like Microsoft got.

:smugdog:

that happened because everyone had lost interest by the time the case was half over. no one cared any more.

they were out for blood when they started though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

yes because truly Google also would be unable to afford the lawyers to drag stuff out long enough. get real.

are you this obnoxious irl or is it just a posting gimmick?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech manages to fishmech himself into an argument with someone who isn't even disagreeing with him

you must be a real hit at parties

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the original ruling was they they were guilty as all hell and the company was to be broken up, that was in mid-2000. by mid-2001, on appeal, they decided that the original judge was a loving retard and couldn't really do most of what he had ruled. also that he had basically made huge ethical lapses by commenting publicly on the case while judging it.

i don't know that the republicans really had a lot to do with that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

bush was elected in 2000 FYI and gutted the doj prosecution team

I mean did the sudden and complete collapse of an otherwise open and shut federal case after a change of executive branch not strike you as maybe just a tiny bit suspicious?

it's suspicious alright, but the case didn't really collapse. the appeals court decided they couldn't actually break up microsoft, just force them to open the platform.

i dunno, maybe ol' GW phoned up kollar-kotelly and told her not to allow the breakup, but it seems more likely that they just decided they couldn't justify the breakup of the company within the framework of the law.

they did just steamroll all the objections to the settlement when approving it though, so who knows.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

well they got 1 years worth of profits out of pnb paribas for sidestepping the sanctions on sudan over darfur just this month. in one sense getting record sums out of these assholes is nice, but in the other its turned in to this extortion racket. the companies can't conceivably go to trial and are under absolute duress of complete revocation of business. no judicial review, no legislation applies, no public policy debate as to whether its better to do this or go after executives/boardmembers personally. it reeks of political ambition by ny prosecutors and tying all this to personal prosecutorial discretion is unseemly.

now that it's all just fines, they're considered part of the cost of doing business. obviously they'll fight to minimize the fines, but as long as they're still making money who gives a poo poo?

at least google learned one important lesson from microsoft, buy the legislators off before anyone starts rumbling about antitrust. they've been lobbying hardore for at least a decade now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gmail fucks mail headers sideways.

i moved a client to office 365 from google apps, none of the replies worked after the move because google doesn't actually use smtp (or any other kind of standard headers) for internally routed mail

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

so has google dropped that one lawyer that is evicting school teachers.

why would they do that when they can just stop indexing the articles that mention him?

internet memory hole

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey cool, it's the idealism of the 50s without the social contract

maybe those poors will just quietly die off so all us world striding techno gods can enjoy our ten hour work weeks in peace, drinking our roboto-lattes while the roomba manicures our palatial gardens

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tractor fanatic posted:

idg why it's part of the social contract to provide people with work instead of just "housing, security, opportunity for your kids"

"housing, security, opportunity for your kids" should be the social contract, it's not, and neither is providing people with work that pays a living wage. there is no social contract in the dark enlightenment

their plan isn't mincome or something, it's just automating the poors out of a job and outsourcing the rest.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

but why would you want any of that
is being a bourgeois piece of poo poo actually good for you?

:siren:lf alert! lf alert!:siren:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

are you now or have you ever been a member of a posting organization?

name names!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

OH NO HOW HORRIBLE TO WORK FOR A MASSIVELY PROFITABLE COMPANY THAT WILL BE AROUND FOREVER

you are actually autistic aren't you?

you don't see how employees who style themselves as innovators and "disruptors" and base their identities around being googlers would have a problem with working for a company that's become the poster child for institutional computing?

here, lets start with these and work our way from there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

i actually don't, because most of them don't give a poo poo about anything as long as they have their free cafeterias and ballpits. google stopped being about "disruption" a good decade ago.

tell that to justine tunney

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

justine tunney is a certifiably insane fascist

here we agree

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

JumpinJackFlash posted:

the problem with email is that it uses open standards

i'm reasonably certain that gmail doesn't internally. they do some weird, nonstandard message header fuckery that ensure that mail sent or received within gmail will completely loving break if exported and hosted elsewhere

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

everyone does that though. email isn't very good without custom fuckery and you can only do that inside your own network

yeah, but even exchange uses semi-standard x.400/x.500 and straight smtp to AD mapping for their internal fuckery. gmail makes it look like an smtp header but with a completely invalid address

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and exchange documents their fuckery.

yes, this is the point

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they also don't take a know standards compliant header format and silently break it in a way that looks right but completely fails to work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

activesync did more

no poo poo. it's actually a well documented standard implemented by multiple vendors, basically the first choice for anyone who wants multi-platform mail calendar and contact sync in an integrated system.

so of course google dropped it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Smythe posted:

call me by my hacker handle pls

okay "cockgargler69"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

who cares. they made the best search engine and the best maps, gmail is good, self driving cars are cool. that any of these do not make money doesn't matter at all to me.

search is buggered beyond recognition now, trying to get google to search for what you've actually typed requires going through two hidden menus and selecting "verbatim", as opposed to say, searching for what the gently caress you typed by default. they've completely hosed the maps interface over the last couple years, for no obvious reason, and hidden or removed every useful feature it had. gmail is only good compared to webmail pre-gmail. and even then as long as you never plan to go anywhere else, because they do some awful things to their message headers. apps for business is a joke in every sense.

google makes a lot of bad products now, and the few products that were good, even if only by comparison to their competition are being shitted up on the regular now because bored ballpit spergs can't leave well enough alone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cremnob posted:

Google’s latest innovation is not computerized eyeglasses or self-driving cars. Its major selling points are the more old-fashioned pleasures of sand, sun and schmoozing.

Google is sponsoring an elite conference this week at a golf resort in Sicily, with a guest list of chief executives, investors and celebrities, all of whom were invited to bring their families. On the agenda are high-minded discussions of global issues — along with relaxation by the Mediterranean Sea.

Call it the Davos of the summer.

sounds like the setup for a tom clancy novel.

now all we need is a good 'ol fashioned terrorist attack on the resort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

i like how it's cool for the tech crowd to hate on google, but normals love it

its like being a hipster

its u

the hipster

please forums poster pagancow, tell us more about this fascinating world of "normals" you know so much about.

• Locked thread