Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the full quote is even funnier grimmer and bleaker:

quote:

"We expect the definition of “mobile” to continue to evolve as more and more “smart” devices gain traction in the market. For example, a few years from now, we and other companies could be serving ads and other content on refrigerators, car dashboards, thermostats, glasses, and watches, to name just a few possibilities. Our expectation is that users will be using our services and viewing our ads on an increasingly wide diversity of devices in the future, and thus our advertising systems are becoming increasingly device-agnostic."
finally, my car dashboard can tell me that 7-11 im driving by is having a 2 for 1 deal on mountain dew baja blast big gulps

all hail our glorious technological future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

uncurable mlady posted:

self driving cars will avoid wrecks by automatically pulling off the road and stopping at a 7-11 until you buy something or watch a five minute advertisement for taquitos
black mirror season 3 spoilers itt

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its pretty much exactly what msft got busted for in the late 90s (using their dominance in one market to exert oversized influence in another)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
apples business model means they, serendipitously, never get close to 100% dominance in anything

mp3 players? but there are lots of other mp3 players on the market
phones? but there are lots and lots of phones including an entire anroid ecosystem you can embrace if you think ours is too restrictive
computers? hey after a decade of steady growth were closing in on 10% market share
tablets? still tons of tablets available from other manufacturers
subscription media? streaming? settop boxes? still lots of other options, still lots of competition

they generously leave the low price zero margin stuff for others to squeeze pennies out of

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cremnob posted:

the good thing about having the market share that apple does is that no one can say they're abusing a monopoly with one product to bene
fit another. so the itunes store being the only store on iOS doesnt matter. this is different from microsoft and google

theres no anti trust law about monopolizing the profits

FMguru posted:

apples business model means they, serendipitously, never get close to 100% dominance in anything

they generously leave the low price zero margin stuff for others to squeeze pennies out of

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
nothing but the smooth pure sound of sony ATRAC files for me tyvm

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the sony CONNECT music store suits my needs most completely - or at least it did until 2008 when they shut down the drm servers

lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
are those numbers for engineers and executive or do they include things like kitchen staff and faiclities and security?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pinterest Mom posted:

3% hispanic

you figure it out
good point

all the people who work security and groundskeeping and kitchen and facilities at google are hired through staffing agencies and contractors and get paid $9.45 an hour with no benefits except the privilege of serving up gourmet food to shitlords making $145000/yr fresh out of college

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
someone broke down those google numbers by group

lol at tech v non-tech. male engineers outnumber women 5:1

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
bretty close indeed

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mad Wack posted:

so true they already have the iTunes UI/library tire fire
one of the better explanations for the beats purchase ive read was that apple has given up trying to fix the useability tarpit that is itunes and are planning on using beats music as the core of its replacement

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

im starting 2 get hype for google i/o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smythe are u going to hitchhike to mountain view next week to be there?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

well, i dont have an invite. but i have a car and went to sonoma state uni so i think i could make the drive. if i got an invite, well, i prolly cant go, b/c work. but i would like to. my dad is there this wk 4 some raeson idk y
sonoma state is a pro school, good on ya smythe

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

thnx. my high school grades were super fail lol
rohnert park wal mart is the hillbilliest place ive ever been

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cremnob posted:

all the a-team players got poached by facebook
when i think nimble and innovative tech companies i think of facebook which has branched out from its core social network product and had huge successes in new areas such as

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rufus Ping posted:

who the gently caress uses facebook
people who are dtf, apparently

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol a giant banana hanging from the ceiling SO WACKY

facebook: run and staffed by people who regard tgi fridays as some sort of ideal to strive for

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the exposed network and power cabling snaking down from the uncovered ceiling really give it the sort of fly-by-night boiler room vibe that you like to see in a technology company worth hundreds of billions dollars

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bloody posted:

idk nobody in boston seems to be ashamed of being on okc but maybe thats just who i know
shameful poster knows only shameful people, what a loving shock

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

i bought an album on it 1nce even if u can believe that
i cant believe it smythe

i just cant

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
yo just dropping in to the gently caress google thread to say gently caress google hangouts and gently caress anyone who thinks its capable of enterprise use

peace out

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cardboard Box A posted:

clearly everyone is overpaying for those copies of windows by a huge amount
from a quality perspective people really are

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

does it give you pleasure, kevin?
it gives him paychecks

which are the gateway to pleasure

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ufarn posted:

dave winer invented sexist mansplaining in tech

he was very pissed when people started using the term biotruths
lmao at dave winer

dude chose his last name very well

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
a post on another thread reminded me that google thought this was the future of television

and that logitech almost went broke (and never really recovered) from making it

lmao google hardware

also:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

the sperge in december 2011 posted:

Eric Schmidt thinks his company is doing great — much better than we had even realized. Onstage at LeWeb in Paris this afternoon, Google's Executive Chairman told the audience that, "By the summer of 2012, the majority of the televisions you see in stores will have Google TV embedded."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
by 2012 half of all tvs sold will have remotes like this

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I'm the colored buttons labelled as such
im the red "red" button right near the red "rec" button

christ this thing makes jonny 290s ham radio programs look like paragons of elegant ux design

e: also its a good thing people dont watch tv in dark rooms or at night, those tiny buttons and their tinier labels would be really hard to see then!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

Buffett invests in companies that have solid product fundamentals but have operational efficiencies to unlock with access to capital and more financially savvy management. he buys companies to keeps them running and improve them and doesn't fire employees.

this is basically the opposite of corporate raiders that want to break up a company for quick profits.
yeah, apparently buffett beats the odds as an investor because hes not just investing, usually hes taking over and managing, and it seems he does have a replicable formula for success when it comes to building up underachieving (and underpriced) companies

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Necc0 posted:

im dead
good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

the forth prime directive says a google car cannot harm a google officer.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
with this and an e-cig my halloween costume of 'futuristic bounty hunter' will be complete

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PleasureKevin posted:

will all google products come with built-in failure analytics software
"google, analyze failure"
*device points at u*

duTrieux. posted:

no but all of them will have steering wheels by the time the state of california is done with them.

yes, even the phones.
finally, the ui will improve

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux. posted:

kill the time-traveler

duTrieux. posted:

take his machine

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

i don't fullscreen my browser.
well, youre young at heart

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
all of sv is essentially a toxic time bomb. rocket fuels and military chemicals in the 40s and 50s, dumping from semiconductor manufacturing in the 60s and 70s, its a loving mess. plus its almost all landfill, and in a seismic activity zone too!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

prefect posted:

i think i'm just a sucker
confirmed

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

i like the post office. its official smelling
what else smells official smythe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

cargo planes, B-52s, A10s and a bunch of cruise missiles are pretty much all we need at this point
squadrons of a10s are on their way to the middle east right now to battle isis, somehow despite the fact that the air force has been trying to decommission them and replace them with zoom zoom fighter jets for 25 years for being too drat vulnerable to ever get close to any sort of combat

http://www.in.ng.mil/NewsandMedia/tabid/247/ArticleID/69/Release-122nd-Fighter-Wing-Plans-to-Deploy.aspx

a good plane

• Locked thread