Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Werthog 95 posted:

circles was a good idea

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

quote:

We’ve heard that there were tensions between Gundotra and others inside the company, especially surrounding the “forced” integrations of Google+ into products like YouTube and Gmail. Apparently, once each of those integrations was made, they were initially being claimed as “active user” wins until Page stepped in and made a distinction.

goolge lol

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cygni posted:

< Message:[F-serve active! Type "!killme" for access! Unlimited leech! Sharing thousands of hot hot soul crushing pics of your ex significant others in deep relationships with other people, your racist uncle implying Obama was born in North Korea, and a literal neverending supply of engagement and baby pictures to make you feel even more alone!] - SysReset2.45

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mr Dog posted:

tbf i think they did genuinely try to follow the spirit of it for the first few years

then they progressively realised that they were, you know, an advertising company, and hence the fount of all the bile and garbage in this world.

when they suddenly went quiet after months of chest-beating against the FBI i knew they were full of it and that was back in like... 2006 or something lol

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
alright i'm all caught up. hi there, everyone

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

spongeh posted:

google+ detected there was snow in an auto-uploaded outdoor picture so it added blingee style animated gif snow. it made me so angry i had to find where to disable it so i would never see it again.

google is pretty dumb but i refuse to believe they're this dumb

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

cremnob posted:

i hope thats real. why didnt this guy go to a newspaper or something??

if it's real that guys a moron for not finding a lawyer and dangling the meatiest juiciest steak in the industry in front of him

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Boxturret posted:

what's wrong with ping :(

well you see it's like bing, but ping

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Ocrassus posted:

, just look at Google.

man gently caress google

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cocoa Crispies posted:

reminder:

https://www.youtube.com/account_playback

in theory you can disable annotations here

but sometimes they still show up

and in a few weeks it'll forget that you disabled 'em

also http://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/ still doesn't have results for my area and isp

ha i'm in loving DC and there's no results

siliconvalleynotunderstandingtheresanoutsideworld.html

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
aaaahahaha gently caress you google

wait, you mean we can make more money by utilizing our deep pockets to sign exclusive deals with carriers to gently caress our competitors? *quietly abandons net neutrality*

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
spoiler alert: there's a small handful of carriers in this country. all of them will somehow become HD verified while other streaming services just won't cut it for some reason

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
it's gonna be pretty tough to meet their standards unless you sign those deals with them! there may be another way though...

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

it bothers me that people this dumb + full of themselves have money flowing up their rear end

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

idiot nerds are screaming themselves raw about this on my facebook

lol

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

PleasureKevin posted:

iMessage is great. it's very minimal. it doesn't use a username. it's secure. it's on every iPhone. create aliases with just an email. it doesn't even boast about being "iMessage", it basically masquerades as an SMS.

it kind of just...

*'works' ethereally forms in the clouds for a brief moment before ebbing away*

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

rotor posted:

this is why google is ridiculous to me. there's zero adult supervision. engineers just ~do things~ until something is successful. valve is the same way.

there's this giant huge cash fountain and they've used that to make a playground for engineers with blind faith that this will produce something worthwhile. So far, not so much.

this model actually works for valve, though

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
it's mostly because the vast majority of their work needs to be creative so hierarchical models will only slow them down / harm that process. the only real 'legacy' stuff they need to support is steam. all their games, once published, can pretty much be ignored as they move onto the next thing.

that's not the same for google. sure they have some departments that need tons of license in order to foster creativity but they spread that mantra to the whole company. being able to do w/e you want does not work for most companies. but google is a unique snowflake and they want to believe that they're the exception

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

rotor posted:

no, the giant money fountain that is steam just masks their immense inefficiency, just like Adsense does for google

they were pretty profitable before steam afaik. plus they also now have the dota/tf2/csgo money fountains as well.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
now you may be judging their efficiency by half-life releases. understandably.

because wheres the loving half-life. jesus

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

qirex posted:

people like nest because it's not ugly, and quelle surprise tech spergs don't get that

quelle surprise if google is actually serious then they don't either

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
fuckin- l.m.a.o.

http://store.steampowered.com/streaming

gently caress google

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
oh i misread that at the bar and thought they started their own streaming service

oh well

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Install Windows posted:

why would that hurt google anyway

cuz they just bought twitch

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Granbar posted:

gchat was a legit good client. rip. gently caress u google. i also miss google reader. god damnit fuxk ugoogle!!!!

whoa whoa wait they're getting rid of gchat?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
use mctube it's much better. it also lets you play music with the screen locked which google still hasn't figured out people want for some autistic reason

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

duTrieux. posted:

preeeeeeety sure this is blatantly monopolistic

well they aren't explicitly forcing labels to shun other services (yet) so don't get your hopes up for a lawsuit (yet)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

cremnob posted:

Former employee here. I had a very opposite experience. New features were key for promotion. Performance/stability tweaks or bug fixes would only add to your promotion chances if they had a demonstrably large impact.

I wasn't at that level but this was super true for L5-L6ish engineers or above. Yes they had to tackle bugs, but they weren't getting to L6 unless they led a huge effort within a project, or L7 unless they launched a project with a solid impact.

Management made efforts to give more weight to refactoring, but it seemed like a token effort. Refactoring was thankless unless it was a truly gargantuan change.

Working there was great, but the engineering incentive structure is far from perfect.

lol

in googels defense that poo poo IS hard

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i legit don't think even google is dumb enough to throw down the capital/effort required to actually Make Things but hey i've been wrong before

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

more ads until every 5 second film is preceded with an unskippable 30 second ad

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
hey i know let's show ads based on how many new videos are started and not by total viewing time -a clown, at the video streaming circus

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

PleasureKevin posted:

Google Co-Founder Says People Shouldn't Have to Work So Much

"If you really think about the things you need to make yourself happy -- housing, security, opportunity for your kids ... it's not that hard for us to provide those things," Page said. "The idea that everyone needs to work frantically to meet peoples' needs is not true."

Page said the world should be living in a "time of abundance" in which robots and machines could help meet everyone's basic needs much more easily.

Brin said he had to "quibble a little bit" with his colleague's vision for future employment.

taken verbatim from Zeitgeist: Addendum

lol if you think society won't fall for this again

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
that anti-trust makes me wonder just how much more insane tech salaries would be now if it hadn't happened

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Beeftweeter posted:

back when they first integrated google+ with youtube they had a popup that notified you of the change and no matter what you clicked on (the options were like "ok, great!" and "ok, great! i'll set up a google+ account later" and it popped up on every drat page) it set up a google+ account for you. since it set up a google+ account for me and the link on their support site to delete your google+ profile page or whatever was loving broken i changed my name on my google account to "gently caress Google" and got a bunch of emails from old contacts that probably had me on google talk or whatever saying "CHANGE YOUR NAME BACK ITS OFFENSIVE AND AGAINST GOOGLE'S TOS"

luckily like a loving week later they fixed the link to remove all of your google+ bullshit

tl;dr: gently caress Google

there was a small 'x' at the top of that window which would get rid of the notification. it was the only way to get around it iirc

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

:drac:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
flakeloaf: dont hate the player hate the game hth :ssh:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
good on her for making buttloads of money from idiots i'd do the same thing in a heartbeat

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

flakeloaf posted:

i thought it was you freaking over sexism that isn't there

games for women = a-okay
games for morons = what the hell

does that help?

now can we please talk about google more cause i liked this thread until a few minutes ago when people started barking at ghosts

lmao

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake