Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

VirtualBox and install XP, I guess?

Yeah, that's what I did. Works great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

soscannonballs posted:

I remember trying a poison necro a few years ago and it was cool until I tried to do some stuff in A5 and couldn't get through doors because they were poison immune.

That might be the most diablo2.txt sentence ever (also I love this game).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Ok, my Necromancer is at level 17, has a full possy of skelebros, a spear with three red gems in it, and I still cannot kill the act 1 Demon Lady. Do I just suck?

This may be obvious, but make sure you have antidote potions too.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

52 has always been pretty low for hell, especially with a Barb. It's not just that your level is low, it's that you haven't ran Meph/Baal for loot either.

The jump from NM to Hell has always been a steep one. Much more steep than normal to NM.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I felt Diablo 1 had a better loot progression system if you just play it through once, single player because you can get items from vendors, or monsters, or quests. Gold is limited and valuable in a way that it just isn't past the very very start of D2. That said, it is a very old game at this point, and you can feel that in some decisions they made. There is a few huge jumps in difficulty that depending on your RNG can't be overcome with skill, just grinding. By contrast, Diablo 2 still feels like a modern game (ok, 800x600 hurts that).

I think you can do them in any order, and as much as I love D1, I think starting with D2 and then if you love it going back to D1 later is your best path.