Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yes, it's completely different from Battle.net 2.0. Everything up to WarCraft III uses the old Battle.net servers, even if you bought digital editions from Blizzard. Make up a username and password, register an email if you want, and go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Little late to the show, there.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The anniversary event in Diablo III gave me the itch to give Diablo another go. I can get the game to run in WIndows 10 by just setting the executable's properties to run as administrator. But the game plays in 640x480 with a gigantic black border all around with a tiny game screen. I downloaded Belzebub, but I do not want the extra poo poo with it and I can't turn it off and increasing the resolution just gives me a view of the whole map. I just want plain Jane vanilla Diablo in a window or fullscreen in 640x480 that I can enlarge and keep that resolution in all its nearest neighbor, pixelated form. I have idea what mod I am even looking for that does that.

And I've had a morbid curiosity to play Diablo II in 1.00, but my battle chest discs are for 1.03. Oi.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've known about the Fend bug for years, but I did not know about the bug also applying to Zeal. I came into Diablo II in summer of 2005 right on the eve of 1.11.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Max Wilco posted:

Do you not like the extra features in Belzebub? I ask because I played through Diablo 1 with it, and I never played the vanilla game before. I have the same complaint about the lack of an option to play the game without the add-ons. Some of them I think improve the game greatly (like the D2 style inventory/shop screen, and the ability to carry all your gold in a single slot), but I got the impression that the added bosses and side-quests make the game a lot harder.

I don't care about extra features in a mod to a game that I've never played to completion before. And I'm just not into modding.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Thirsty Girl posted:

Any tips for trap assassin who hasn't played since 2004/2005?

It's pretty much exactly the same. Get Enigma and lay a million lightning traps and win.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/MarkAgee/status/865964115981877248

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

bongwizzard posted:

Ok, my Necromancer is at level 17, has a full possy of skelebros, a spear with three red gems in it, and I still cannot kill the act 1 Demon Lady. Do I just suck?

It helps to clear the other rooms first and then lure Andariel out. Keep a bunch of dead bodies around to summon more skeletons. And make sure that you've cast Amplify Damage.

Alternatively, use those fresh dead bodies and blow them up with Corpse Explosion. Andariel is weak to fire and will take additional damage from the explosion.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I looked up what Path of Diablo is and I wish I hadn't.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

THE BAR posted:

I couldn't, from looking at its site, figure out what it was about.

It's a Diablo II mod that is based on Path of Exile.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My reaction was more of an "oh, it's inspired by Path of Exile" and that game's crowd has really put me off of playing it and I'm told that combat in the game is pretty janky. That's pretty much where my opinion on the game lies.

But I'm of the opinion that if I'm going to play a mod of a game that tries to make it into some other game or borrows a lot from another, I'll just go play that other game instead.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I still recommend that someone brand new to Diablo III (and Diablo II) play through the campaign just to see everything, get the bad story over with, and never look back unless they want to hit campaign-specific achievements. That way a new player can play at their own speed, see what places look like since adventure mode uses those same locations anyway, and not have to worry about trying to keep up with someone else.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Max Wilco posted:

Getting from Level 1 to Level 70 is what sounds like the biggest hurdle. The power leveling thing sounds interesting, though. I get the impression that these game are a lot more fun playing with other people online than going through the single-player campaign.

Diablo 1 was the first game to use Battle.net, and prior to that, people would play multiplayer games of WarCraft: Orcs and Humans and WarCraft II over Kali. These games are always more fun with people. I can't really get back into Diablo II just because I have no one to play it with.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There is only one build in the whole world that spends points in energy and I would never recommend Energy Shield to someone that just wants to chill.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The act II offensive mercenary has the Might aura. Until he reaches Nightmare difficulty, I would recommend using the act II combat mercenary for the Prayer aura in normal.

You can find out more here on Blizzard's website: http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/hirelings.shtml

Just keep in mind that new mercenaries that you hire will delete everything from the old one and you generally want to hire new mercenaries in Normal difficulty. In Blizzard North's infinite wisdom, mercenaries hired in lower difficulties have slightly better stats, so always hire them in normal unless you need a specific aura that you can only get by hiring in Nightmare.

Zogo posted:

Also, you can give your mercenary health potions by dropping them onto the picture icon.

Shift + belt slot number.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

George posted:

Oh my God, why isn't this information in the OP?

Because gently caress you and everyone that looks like you

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

bongwizzard posted:

How do you even plan for end game stuff for such a limited storage? I found some shield that was part of a set but sold it because there's no way I was going to dedicate six storage sluts to this thing for the entire game.

If you're playing on single player and running patch 1.13, you can use PlugY for your storage space concerns.

If you're on Battle.net, then welcome to hell.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
i m so owned.

so. so owned

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mewse posted:

Star Man of 2014 laughs at Star Man of 2017

Star Man of 2017 wishes Star Man of 1987 was dead.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

George posted:

We've been playing in the shallows our entire lives waiting for the chosen one to show us the ocean. Could you be the one?

The ocean is all of the missed opportunities to have fun at a party and get laid because you were too busy playing Diablo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Navaash posted:

I propose to tell the difference between Pillars and Path more easily that we acronym the latter as PoX :haw:

I wish everyone would get smallPoX

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is a purely fire elemental sorceress even a viable build? I know that it would face the same immunity woes that other elements do and need Lower Resistance charges or a mercenary carrying Infinity to break through fire immunity, but can the build deal enough damage even after all that?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

gradenko_2000 posted:

Fire is also one of the most common immunities. A fire build can put out enough damage to be viable, but unless you're with a group or are farming a specific spot that doesn't have fire immunes, you need a way to deal with immunes. This is usually done with an investment into Frozen Orb, since it's one of the few skills that can output decent damage without needing lots of synergies.

Hence the MeteorOrb build.

I think I'll just stick with lightning.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm watching a hardcore stream where the gimmick is that everyone has to wear stuff that procs frost nova when they are hit.

https://www.twitch.tv/alarashade

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Playing alone on Battle.net is essentially the same as single player, but you lose access to players x and are at the mercy of network issues. You can create a new game with a password to keep strangers and bots out or set a level restriction that will keep most bots out of your game since they tend to use level one characters.

Eve when you're alone, your time in normal is typically spent leveling up in Tristram runs until level 15, tomb runs until level 20 in act two, and then cow runs until level 25. You'll try to claw your way through to act five and fight the Ancients so you can do Baal runs until level 50 or so and push through nightmare and then hell difficulty as you can.

There are also plenty of public games where people are trying to get through the game. You can join at any point in acts one and four and complete them, but acts two, three, and five have progression requirements before getting to the next act or difficulty level. Just look for a game called something like "act 2 staff" or "ancients" or start one yourself with the act name and quest. Some games might rush you through the difficulty level you're on, but I don't recommend games where the rusher requests your Hellforge drop, especially in nightmare or hell where you can get valuable mid runes or Mal, Ist, or Gul.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

THE BAR posted:

Grinding on normal? Has that ever been a thing?

When you're alone by choice or by circumstance, it is. Not everyone can have a friend grush them to Chaos Baal runs in hell.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

gradenko_2000 posted:

did they ever add more runewords after 1.11?

No.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Siets posted:

So when I look up the drop chance of Harlequin on Silospen and it says that Hell Andarial has a 1:1300 chance to drop it with my ~300% MF, does that really mean I need to do the run 1300 times before I realistically see the item drop? Or is there some game mechanic’y thing that comes into play here like “she drops 4-5 items each time so each kill counts as 5 rolls” or something like that?

If you flip a coin a thousand times and every time it landed on tails, then what are the odds that you'll get heads on the next flip?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Seamonster posted:

Andy has a -50% fire resistance across all difficulties. FB sorc should fix her poo poo real fast.

Except many of her minions are fire immune.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

moush posted:

The problem with Sorc is immunities, you basically have to accept that you can't do some content. That's why Hammerdin is so good because he doesn't have the same problem.

Not quite so anymore since Blessed Hammer no longer ignores immunity to magic on undead and demons. It's still insane, though.

A sorceress in Hell will have an easier time if you can get a wand with Lower Resistance charges until you can somehow get an Infinity for your mercenary.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol if the best barbarian build is actually a singer

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
No you're supposed to make Chaos you loving dolt.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Once you're able to clear the Pit without a lot of trouble, you'll have more monarchs than you'll know what to do with.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Khorne posted:

When I sold d2 stuff many years ago I'd just make an account with a level 1 on it and give people the account name+password. Given that most of these sites probably automate this or pay someone less than minimum wage to do it, I'd bet they do the same. That way there's 0 coordination required.

I've bought stuff from a Diablo II seller once, but this was how they did it too.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm walking my way through the game on ladder for an upcoming project. At the casual pace that I'm going, I seem to remember that once I hit level 24, the only quick way to get through it quickly was in normal cows or the Ancients quest. Otherwise, it was a bottleneck for experience and you'd reach it in act III and be stuck at that level for a while. Even if you did Hell Chaos runs with a glitch rushed character at a low level, level 24 would take a while to get through. Was that bottleneck removed?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Laslow posted:

Generally random people will rush you for free when you're level 24 and you'll get the ancients quest and be able to do Baal runs. 24 is the easiest level because a lot of high level people rush lowbies just because they're bored.

I know how rushing works and I normally prefer to get them, but I am playing solo.

I'm the thread's OP

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Laslow posted:

Oh, well yeah, you’re boned.

The barrier you’re talking about still exists and since you’re solo on ladder(or battle.net at all) means you can’t adjust the player count on any way. If you’re not 25 by the end of act 3, I would just do meph runs til then and shore up your gear.

I reached level 24 while looking for Khalim's Heart and got to level 25 while I was looking for Izual. I didn't grind for experience anywhere, I just played it out normally. Maybe it's not as bad as I thought it was.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I concur that acts II, III, and V are all a slog to get through. But I'm on a mission.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Now this question is a total long shot: are there any art books that feature a bunch of artwork from Diablo II by Blizzard?

I'm familiar with the art books associated with Diablo III that might feature something in D2's setting, but official artwork for Diablo II is hard to come by. Most of it is made of character renders and there is one hand-drawn illustration of each class in the classic and expansion manuals and on on the Arreat Summit.

edit: I found an uploaded copy of a German press kit that had quite a few things in it that I had never seen before and it included Photoshop documents and TIFs of high resolution artwork, but it's still only of a few classes or of two act bosses and is really incomplete.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Khorne posted:

It's 20-25 or so that are the slowest levels. After 25 you aren't penalized as much and start getting a lot more exp.

I know. Normally I would do cows at that point because the experience is good, but I can't for this run.