Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Aren't they allowing modding? Cant we have our cake and eat it too? I'd rather they get the base game 100% right and not focus on extra stuff. The community was always best at adding things. If they are given/allowed to use proper tools and not just hex editing or a total engine rewrite, I think we might get some cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hey, I got into the technical alpha and it only took like 2 minutes for me to decide this was worth a purchase. The audio remaster is very well done and the graphical flavor they have added is top notch and entirely fitting. They've managed to capture the dark feel of d2, which is nice, because I worried it would look anything like diablo 3. It does not. 2d or 3d, I would not have cared, I just wanted to solve the drat eye strain I'd get from playing even median xl after awhile. Damnit, I'm excited!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Khorne posted:

I've got a few UI complaints and maybe a few ability complaints, but overall yeah it's pretty well done. The inventory pictures for lots of items/potions/gems/etc just aren't great. They're not in the spirit of the original at all and just look real out of place & awkward. Outside of the wp menu, moving skill/stat points (ahh!!), things not being chunky enough in UI, etc, everything else seems great.

There's load times between waypoints in the same act which is messed up. Barb model looks off compared to the original. In gameplay it looks very off. Sorc, Paladin, Assassin all look good in game. I haven't tried other classes.

On a more "I'm a big nerd who played too much of the original" complaint line we have these which people who have never played d2 before probably won't even notice or care about :

I do wish they went for chunkier & whiter lightning for sorc lit skills. It's a very modern thin blue lightning instead of d2's lightning. The cold orb looks not good and like the awful bouncing d3 one that mobs do instead of d2's. Although the animation, particles, and bolts that come from it are top notch. Blizzard is too sparse looking, but there might be a design reason for this choice given how Blizzard functions.

The way frozen/chilled enemies look is real weird color-wise. Not a huge fan of the fallen & goatman designs, they all seem like they got less chunky/monsterish and more thin+human-like which is just weird. Haven't checked it out enough to see if they did this to other mobs too.

Overall it looks good and is an upgrade. I will probably end up buying it and playing with the new graphics.

I can agree with all of this. I had some issues with models and such but I am giving myself time to see if I get used to them. The quick turn animation is a bit odd. Still, nothing is particularly bad in any way. Will hold off supreme judgement until I can actually play my favorite classes. Not a huge fan of zon, barb, or sorc.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hardcore necro/paladin/druid for life. I'll play a MF sorc sometimes. HC is a powerful drug that makes softcore seem real boring.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 10, 2021

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know this is really minor but it was a bit disappointing that D3 didn't really like feel like it was connected to Diablo 2 at all. Diablo 2 felt like it really expanded the game universe while still also tying into the last game.

I pretend that d3 is an alternate universe spinoff of the Gauntlet series and it serves me pretty well.

If anyone has played median xl and is familiar with their endgame, there is a ton of poo poo from before d3 that could be added into d2, lore wise.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay am I crazy or does one of the imps in Diablo 2 say "Chiropractor"

They say whatever you think they are saying, rakabar.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Random memory here but I remember trading all night once to get 60/40 armor and an 08 vampgaze only to have my account hacked 30 minutes later. I was very sad and quit for a long time.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I am willing to buy d2:r for the simple fact that 4:3 aspect, 800x600 res gives me a drat headache on a 16:9 screen after playing for any reasonable amount of time. If they were even capable of modding the aspect of the base game to be non-stretched 16:9 I'd buy that by itself. I guess I'll have to take a decently faithful 3d render.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm sure they have tweaked a lot of stuff based on feedback from the alpha. Graphically speaking. I hate hate hated the quick turn animation.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I cant do some hd patch because the fun I have is from playing hardcore on ladder. There is no greater thrill in life than d2 hardcore.

I hate the idea of systematically collecting items to hoard like a dragon. For hardcore I enjoy every moment of playing, and when I die it is like a wondrous release from material possessions. All about the journey, yo. And being top of the leaderboard, for however long.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

codo27 posted:

I cant imagine playing hc in an arpg especially one that can be as ruthlessly cheap as diablo, but I think I might make a character this time around just to try. I think I'm too careless to be cut out for it though, but we'll see how it goes. I wonder how long the novelty of the new version will keep the monotony of the late game grind at bay.

Of all the hardcore games, d2 is actually designed around being a hardcore experience. Hell, you can just save and exit at any time. Hubris and impatience is the real killer.

Anyways, the adrenaline rush is like a drug.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

D2 is not cheap in any way. Every time you die you learn a valuable lesson on how to progress. Each mob type and encounter is easily quantified. Sometimes in such a way that instead of engaging, you nope out hard and make a new game. I have not once thought to myself that my death was anything but my own fault. That's the joy in playing hardcore. The act of playing in and of itself. Mastery of yourself and your class. Not mastery of items and collecting. Simple joys. Oh, and a wicked loving rush when you almost die with a character you've spent hours on. Then, if and when you finally die, a realization that playing was the fun part. A sweet blessed release.

I guess that's life?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You have great points here. I've blocked out any lag deaths from my memory, so they didnt happen. Regardless, any death you will experience due to game mechanics will forever be emblazoned upon your memory. That's the satisfaction for me.

I also try to never play HC while drinking, or being tired. Something will always get you, eventually. That's okay. I lost a level 90 something MF sorc in the pits. Ouch.

Still better and more rewarding than running baal over and over. Or well, sure makes getting rushed in HC a real pants making GBS threads experience. You learn what classes are good at what, how to enjoy the ride, and not be too concerned about getting THE BEST poo poo because you are too busy trying not to have a heart attack from the sheer moments of terror and delight.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I made a diablo goon discord awhile ago.
https://discord.gg/wVCstGq

I plan to play this new median xl ladder before resurrected figures out when their ladder will begin.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yesssss I will be on in a couple hours to play median. However, I will be playing hardcore, so... you might not want to join me, lol.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cerepol posted:

Did they ever clarify if you would still be able to create/run mods or did that die at some point?

Feels like we are in the dark here. With no tcpip I have no idea how they intend anyone to run mods.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

https://discord.gg/wVCstGq

If anyone wants I've had this diablo discord up for awhile now. Can use it to coordinate playing in a few days. :)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

That is super weird. Try this?

https://discord.gg/mC8y722DSe

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I can, and did. It is going to be great. Ground floor, bitches!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Can’t decide which class I wanna start with. What’s a good “starter” build that won’t require super rare drops to perform? I’m leaning toward Necromancer.

I am having trouble deciding, as well. I am also leaning towards Necromancer. Druid is pretty tempting for me, too. Have got a fresh ladder team already made up. No idea when that will be yet. So, I'm going to walk slow as gently caress through D2R with a more relaxed playstyle.

To answer your question: Sorc, hammerdin, trapsin and such are all easy starters. I'd argue melee is a slower start, regardless. Anything with a nice fire spec will fly through normal and into nightmare, where they might require a respec.