Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

borf posted:

If you can still find the Battlechest, it has the original Diablo along with d2 and lod.

Although it won't have the Hellfire expansion, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Star Man posted:

Golly gee, I wonder why.

People might wonder where it went!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Star Man posted:

In the loving trash.

Sourpuss, the new tilesets weren't half bad.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Installation of this is as "simple" as copying over the main Diablo 1 MPQ into the install folder of the game. It works really well and lets you play Diablo 1 will all the modern bells and whistles like waypoints and alt-item-highlighting and running within town.

It also puts in unused assets, like the "worm" quest-area that one of the town's houses leads down to.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Star Man posted:

Is it possible to turn all that poo poo off and play it as it was in 1997?

Not that I know of!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Kazvall posted:

Belzebub adds a poo poo load of quests, I believe, including the ones that were originally cut from Diablo. A lot of the quest/event stuff has been moved into another instance, like you have to open a TP in the butchers room, to get to his chamber.

It blew my mind, when you were able to enter one of the houses, and clear out its cellar for Hellfire worm monsters.

I had read about it before, and it was great to see it in the game, although we'll never know how it would've really been with Blizzard behind it. The "worms in the cellar" had always intrigued me, ever since I saw it in a design document.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Kazvall posted:

BTW the worm cellar is not a hellfire addition, it's a missing d1 quest. There's a lot of quests they never finished and some mods add them in. Hellfire dungeons are on the right side of the map, or near the catacombs entrance

I thought you were pretty clear on that.

While I've never been a fan of having a final boss -after- Diablo, the two new dungeons introduced in Hellfire were alright with me, the Alien-like Hive especially. It also featured one of my favourite things in Diablo 1, namely changing the town map. There's just something about morphing old tiles and sprites into something else that fascinates me, which 3D graphics never did. It doesn't feel like you're supposed to change static pictures, almost like you're breaking the game, while fully rendered 3D stuff is more ephemeral to me.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Star Man posted:

I looked up what Path of Diablo is and I wish I hadn't.

I couldn't, from looking at its site, figure out what it was about.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Star Man posted:

It's a Diablo II mod that is based on Path of Exile.

It looked like plain old Diablo 2 to me, just jumbled a bit around, based on the screenshots.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Grinding on normal? Has that ever been a thing?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Good Dog posted:

I think they're saying that on normal you'd level up to 25 just by playing the game. You don't need to spend an hour doing Trist runs to 15 because you need to play the game to kill Andy to get to act 2 anyways. And you'd get to 20 just by going through act 2 so you don't need to do tomb runs. There is an advantage to doing norm baal runs for a bit since I think theres a bit of a dropoff in terms of gear you get between act1 nm and act5 norm and that act1 nm might be harder. I think you get -res all penalties in nm and hell? -40 and -75 I think?

Playing online even with random strangers will be more fun, easier, and quicker but you'll be at the mercy of sharing loot, though some might not give a poo poo about low level equipment and will be willing to share at the same time. I'd always dump off my sigons set after I was done with it.

Yeah, exactly. Normal is perfectly playable just by going through the quests and acts normally, on your own. Although you're going to want to grind Baal until you reach at least level 40 before trying Nightmare.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Laslow posted:

According to Blizzard, they're going to start purging accounts after 90 days of inactivity. I think that's awful, but I figured you all would want a heads up.

Gotta ration that precious server space.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Barbarians really only have Whirlwind as a melee option. They can chunk big guys just fine, but you'll be so bored single target killing large groups.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/

Same people. It works just fine, but updates are still slow as molasses. It's incredibly interesting, how they've managed to dredge up the original voice acting found on the discs and implemented them in their intended spots. Or as close as they could get. And opening up new areas in a 3D game doesn't bat an eye, but oh boy, when one of those house doors in good old, pixelated Tristram are suddenly opened, and you can enter an entirely new area... :aaa:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Hell really is the better game experience, but it does not have that "lost levels" feel that Tchernobog has.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I sort of figured Tchernobog was strictly multiplayer, and seeing it was still just an alpha made me skeptical. I guess I can give it a try, though.

Some of the stuff you mention like the restored voice acting and stuff is in Belzebub. There are some new areas like the inside of the house you mentioned or the outskirts of Tristram that are done using the in-game sprites and graphics (which I imagine was quite a feat). Diablo domain also has some additional bosses you have to contend with before taking him on. Most interesting is that the restored the Map of the Stars, which makes it so that you only have an hour to beat Diablo before he gets super-powerful.

I haven't heard of The Hell 2 before. What does it do different from Belzebub/Tchernobog? I looked up a video of it real quick, and one nice thing I see about it is that they moved witch lady into the center of town so you don't have to go out of your way to get a magic recharge.

You know what? It's been Belzebub I've been playing all along, sorry! :shobon: Yes, Tchernobog's the only one getting updates (supposedly), and it's made for multiplayer, so all of the interesting quest stuff is gone. Whoops.

You could see The Hell as making Diablo more like Diablo 2, really. More monsters, spells, gear and convenience, not much done to the overall plot or anything like that.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

mirror123 posted:

Do the changes give it a better leveling experience or is it still about mostly the end game? I was looking to scratch the d2 itch recently and went with slashdiablo, but if Path has interesting changes I might try it out also. I have to admit multibox and maphack are things I enjoy even though many people list those as negatives to slash when comparing to path.

The skill changes are interesting and more sensible than ES', and there's not a million convoluted systems you need to figure out, but I sorely miss the enhanced stash space and better drop chance for fancy loot.

Anyone else still playing Path in here? I've been trying to level a supporty tanky paladin, mid-40 right now, but I think I made a huge mistake using Prayer and there's a bit too few people online for me to be actually useful.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I was just browsing my LoD manual, and... Was there really no elite items in classic?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I do remember being able to gamble for uniques, specifically those awful Hotspur boots from Alkor, which I'm not sure I've ever seen drop.

Is it even possible to roll for uniques in LoD? I don't recall ever being able to, instead burning all cash on coronets.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Khorne posted:

It's 0.05% (1/2000) for a unique. Definitely doable, and for a while the item selling sites used a gold dupe to just gamble uniques endlessly in expansion with bots.

So all it did was hitting those who weren't exploiting the system, fantastic.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

BattleHamster posted:

Kind of a weird thing to say since exploits are by nature used to gain an advantage. You could say this about any mechanic in any game that has an exploit.

Spending gold on a better than 1/2000 chance at getting a unique isn't an exploit. If it's too cheap, increase the cost instead of making it virtually impossible unless you cheat with bots.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I liked going full chaos necromancer, all in on summons and throwing confuse and attract on everything.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Okay, Resurgence looks stupidly competent, I like that they've put an emphasis on area effect and cone attacks for those classes, that lacked them in certain situations. Paladins only having Zeal as a way to hit multiple things in melee has always been terrible, and they've changed the effective, but insanely boring Vengeance to an area effect.

Also, the new items looks like a nice mix of what's interesting in Path of Exile and Diablo 3's gear, excellent.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

At this point it would also have to be better than Path of Exiles because they did p much exactly that and have made that D2 sequel money that was waiting to be scooped up.

D3 still has better physics and art design, but literally everything else? :tugscollar:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Im_Special posted:

Well that's the manual... maybe you want the Strategy Guide? https://archive.org/details/Diablo_II_Official_Strategy_Guide_BradyGames

Got a physical copy of that thing. It's more cute than informative, giving you nuggets such as "Putting 20 points into Clay Golem means it has 600 Life! Wow!"

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I loved the unlocked, hidden stuff they found on the original CD, but yeah, some things are weirdly scaled. Especially fixed bosses like The Butcher are even worse than before, not being killable until you're well into the next dungeon tileset.

E:

Looking at the mod, they've just patched it recently, and holy crap, that's a lot of content.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, it's bonkers with its content, but it just sucks that these awesome overhauls for D1 exist, and seem to only target the hardest core spergiest of players. There's no reason not to have a "normal Diablo difficulty" with all the same content for folks who just want to smash things and collect loot. Diablo 1 is by far the hardest game of the series (in terms of beating the main story, not the NG+ content) but it was still a relatively easy game.

So the first unique I find on level 2 was one of those Hellfire gravedigger dudes.. Who hits like The Butcher and regains his health faster than I can damage it, as a Templar with a mace, which is 90% extra damage against the undead. Guess that's that, then!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I actually could not agree less. D3 felt like you actually hit things and smashed faces and threw corpses around. D2 isn't *bad* by any metric but D3 felt more visceral.

Do you play without sound? The standard swinging and hitting soundscape is anemic in D3. Swinging that act 3 hammer around in D2 probably had the best sound design of any Diablo genre game I've played.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Having very recently been playing both games back to back, they both have great sound design, but D3 definitely feels much more solid and visceral to me.

Throwing monsters around in D3 definitely felt good. In fact, they may have overdone it, as any kind of attack has the potential of hurling opponents' corpses across the screen. Saving it for your big attacks might've given them an even bigger impact.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

D3's corpse throwing feels like it rapidly drops off as you level so I have no idea what physics metrics they used to determine the animations. It just feels weird in that regard, but given the divide between Big Hits and Smaller Hits (spenders vs generators, very roughly) they all seem to do relatively the same amount of destruction.

It's probably based on your damage versus the target's maximum hit points. So since monsters start out with almost no health, every kill is a haymaker.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

Remaster predictions:

No more single player offline
Access to original D2 game is removed
No more Open Battle.Net

Oh, definitely.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Videos breaking due to still running Bink.

..Does the WC3R videos still use Bink?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Lucinice posted:

Oh totally forgot to ask about using Hellfire for Diablo 1. Yay or nay?

The two new areas are fun diversions, and you get a neat amulet that lets you have 10K gold in each pile on you.

But it's not mandatory, and it screws with the game's pacing. Still, it's more Diablo; I would use it if it's available. Most mods don't really use Hellfire.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Yeah, it let you speed up the move animation in town by x2.

But that made the duping trick much harder to pull off!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Really?

I remember the 10k stacks but not an amulet

Yeah, it's an amulet. Remember to pick up all your phat stacks before changing difficulty or resetting!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Tchernobog Belzebub mod has a shared stash, and is generally a good time I find.

https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/

It cracked open unused material and made it playable, like that one house with an open door actually does something now!

E:

Tchernobog is the still developing multiplayer mod, which does not have the quests.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 29, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Laslow posted:

Well that’s just terrifying.

I don't remember which mod added the swamp of Duriels, plural, but it sure was a surprise bumbling into without warning.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Yeah, just make Diablo 3 already!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm just a crazy person who actually liked the plot of D1/2, such as it was.

...They killed Deckard Cain with butterflies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Khorne posted:

Not a huge fan of d3's stat and ilvl systems. They seem designed to simplify the designer's job rather than to provide a good gameplay experience. Legendary item bonuses and set bonuses are cool. I'd love to see some company do something radically different.

Set items being so ridiculous in D3 was actually a negative for me. When a set adds 20.000% increased damage to an ability, my hands are sort of tied this season, you know? I did like the gameplay of D3 to a point, but trying to enjoy it in a setting that sports butterfly lady and suddenly sexy retcon Adria was just too much. And after Actiblizzard tipped their hand with the whole Hong Kong tragedy? I'm just done with it all and haven't installed battle.net since.