Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I am getting back into Diablo 2 after quite a few years of not touching it. I never really took a character past level 30 in the past or worked on specific builds, but now I'm interested in doing so. I know it's a vague question but what is a solid beginner character build (any class, I'm open to suggestions) that is less gear-centric and more skill reliant? I'd like to have as much fun with a self-found character as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was eye-balling a Sorc in character select last night in fact, maybe that'll be my ticket. I don't remember really doing much with Sorc before. I think the last time I played...in 2001...was either a Javazon or a Necro. Thanks!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

feelix posted:

I did that on hardcore and then I looked away from the screen for a few seconds and died in act 1 hell

The takeaway for me here is that you made it to hell with a minimal effort pet build. This might be the way I go then. I don't plan to play HC anyway. I'm going to rub myself into Diablo all night long!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm eyeballing the Eastern Sun mod. I ain't ever played no mods in D2 before. Is there a way to play that mod along with maybe a hi resolution mod?

Edit: Disregard, looks like there is a lot of fuckery involved with these overhaul mods and even widescreen mod looks troublesome on the latest version of the game. I'll just play vanilla like god intended.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 13, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm in act 2 now, and focusing on a skelesummon Necro. One QoL feature I miss from D3 is that skeletons are auto summoned. My squishy necro is a very efficient killer when his summons are out, but I have to actually kill a few things first to get them. Makes the first 2-3 minutes whenever I log in pretty crucial. I do think that D2's punishment for dying was better than D3's. In D3 there is pretty much zero repercussion for dying, unless you play HC. Which isn't usually my bag when the game need an always online connection. But having to go retrieve my corpse to pick up my poo poo is a pretty good incentive to not die.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I came wondering the same thing. My son and I just installed Median XL tonite and whipped up some quick characters. Seems very neat in the first 4 minutes.

Edit: Also, is there a way to force Median XL to run in D2's original 800x600? I think 1024x768 is a touch too small.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 8, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That’s an awesome link, I’m gonna try it out!

Edit: Maybe it's just me, but the installer instructions are kinda confusing. It's a pack of QOL mods, but the instructions have tell me to install specific versions of each mod individually. If I'm doing that, what's the pack for?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 10, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Im_Special posted:

To install, you need to go. Game (not the latest v1.14 Battle.net one) > Patch v1.13d > Glide v1.4e > PlugY v11.02.

What's in the zip file on GitHub just seems to be everything else and all the proper .config files and .ini tweaks already setup for an out of box experience so to speak.

So once I'm done with the D2->Glide->Plugy, am I just dropping the rest of the poo poo into the Diablo 2 folder?

Edit: Got it all installed ok. Only problem is now the game runs in a small box surrounded by black borders. It’s a super tiny box in the middle of my screen that is in the proper aspect ratio but doesn’t fill the entire screen.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 10, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I got it all working now, yay! I have the game running in 1400x600 so it fills up 95% of my Ultrawide 21x9 monitor with now aspect ratio fuckery. drat it looks really good like this!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So thinking about my Paladin for the long road ahead and I have question: how difficult is it to get enough mana leech/regen to use Vengeance as my left clicker? That seems like a very strong ability for later difficulties when enemies have immunities to certain elements.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

soscannonballs posted:

Just make an Insight runeword polearm for your A2 merc. I think the runes are Ral Tir Tal Sol.

I think I actually already have those words too, sweet! I'm gonna do it up real good like!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not sure if this is the thread to ask, but has anyone tried The Hell 2 mod for Diablo 1? Works great as far as letting me run the game in 1400x600 (800x600 size but ultra wide) and the interface adjustments are awesome also, but god drat is it hard. On the very first floor there are these things that beat my rear end by stun-locking me immediately. I want to stick with it because it’s awesome having modern frame rates and resolution options in D1 but dayum.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

THE BAR posted:

I loved the unlocked, hidden stuff they found on the original CD, but yeah, some things are weirdly scaled. Especially fixed bosses like The Butcher are even worse than before, not being killable until you're well into the next dungeon tileset.

E:

Looking at the mod, they've just patched it recently, and holy crap, that's a lot of content.

Yea, it's bonkers with its content, but it just sucks that these awesome overhauls for D1 exist, and seem to only target the hardest core spergiest of players. There's no reason not to have a "normal Diablo difficulty" with all the same content for folks who just want to smash things and collect loot. Diablo 1 is by far the hardest game of the series (in terms of beating the main story, not the NG+ content) but it was still a relatively easy game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

THE BAR posted:

So the first unique I find on level 2 was one of those Hellfire gravedigger dudes.. Who hits like The Butcher and regains his health faster than I can damage it, as a Templar with a mace, which is 90% extra damage against the undead. Guess that's that, then!

I uninstalled it and just went back to vanilla Hellfire. Talented folks out there can make the game run in modern resolutions, but can't help themselves when it comes to loving the game balance over.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any Paladin builds that are not super gear dependent? What about any other class? I've currently got a level 48 Paladin who just uses Zeal and the Lightning Aura to electrocute and hit things a lot and it's ok so far, nevermind how drat squishy he is. Even with all my res's at/over 75 in Nightmare difficulty, he dies pretty quick if I blink. Also how do ya'll keep mercs alive in Nightmare and higher difficulty? Mine drops when he sees an enemy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

gradenko_2000 posted:

Holy Shock Zealot already is the cheap build, because you can focus your gear on survivability rather than also having to derive firepower from it

Are there any skills I should be focusing on besides Zeal, Shock Aura, and Lightning Res Aura?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm thinking of starting a fresh Barb in D2, after playing a Paladin and Druid for a bit. I'm also playing the season in D3, so D3 barbs are fresh in my brain, sort of. Are D2 barbs as fun as D3 barbs? At least in regards to leaping around and smashing and yelling and killing?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having very recently been playing both games back to back, they both have great sound design, but D3 definitely feels much more solid and visceral to me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I currently have an installation of Diablo 2 with plugy and the widescreen mod, working on a 21x9 ultrawide resolution, and it looks phenomenal! I don’t need no remaster.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

A caveat would be that Hellfire only officially added one class: the Monk. The others have to be edited in as I recall.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ineptitude posted:

They are there with the base install of Hellfire, you just need to add them in a .cfg (iirc) file in the install directory

I know, that’s what I mean. Edited in.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, the art and characters look fine. And regardless of these character’s actual age they all partake in a lot of manual labor, meaning combat, in a variety of climate conditions. If you’ve ever seen a 28 year old roofer, he looks 45. Plus it’s such a petty complaint that feels like complaining for complaining sake.

I like the footage they’ve shown because it looks really smooth and the lighting looks phenomenal. Lastly, we still have the classic versions to play if folks actually hate it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mymla posted:

The d1-2 story was pretty good, but the d3 story is impressively bad. The only thing that's more impressive is how they somehow managed to top themselves with the legacy of the void epilogue.

I think D3’s story is actually...ok. The problem for me is the delivery. The actual plot on paper is fine and I thought the idea of a feminine Diablo was kinda cool. But the way the story is told is some lame scooby doo bullshit. The greatest devils and demons in the world literally popping up and taunting you like children while you’re just trouncing everything thrown at you. Azmodan is particularly bad in this regard.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’d pay full price for a solid remaster of Diablo 3, which is what this looks like will be. So I’m pumped!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m fine with the inventory as it is. I played a new game of D2 with my son just last summer, and I didn’t have any issues with it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I always found the actual story in Diablo 3 to be okay. But the delivery is total balls and the Azmodan Skyping gets loving ridiculous.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like the ideas behind Median XL but it’s just way too loving overwhelming for me to enjoy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

codo27 posted:

C'mon it's not going to look that good

The game looks pretty drat good. With the old art style updated to be sharper 3D images, it looks on par with Grim Dawn. But better because Diablo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Any word on ultrawide working? I’m seeing mixed reports.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I cannot believe how loving good this plays with a controller. At this rate I’ll never go back to playing with a KB&M and I’m already wishing Diablo 3 for PC had controller support.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

queeb posted:

man controller supper is loving smooth as hell, this is amazing.

Agreed 100%. It makes me wish they’d put controller support into D3 for the PC.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

No idea if it’s viable later in the game, but I always loved using Necro with a poison dagger to just run up and poke enemies and watch them drop two seconds later. I love how gems add elemental damage in D2 vs the effects in D3.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sand Monster posted:

Is it easy to switch back and forth from controller to mouse+keyboard while in game? Like if I wanted to go to town and sell stuff and manage inventory, presumably that is easier with mouse.

At least in the beta, you can switch back and forth seamlessly. And yea, the controller support is so drat good in this game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

D2R is exactly what I’d expect and hope it would be. It’s just Diablo 2 again with some minor improvements. I loving love Diablo 2, never got into the botting or online trading poo poo. I just play it and have a good time. And that’s all it needs to be.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One thing I miss about D2 not having smart-loot, is finding a cool piece for another class and thinking “oooohhh, I should play a whatever because a dope whatever weapon just dropped.” You can’t still do that in D3, but it’s few and far between.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yep, pre-ordered months ago. I’m pumped!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Starks posted:

Everyone always brings up the wc3 remake which was clearly terrible even in preview videos, but they forget about the SC remake which rules.

Very true. Also, for me personally, I thought the WC3 remake was….fine. All I wanted to do was replay the campaigns and I can do that, in Ultrawide, and it looks great.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

bawfuls posted:

preload is up now for those throwing money at blizzard prematurely

Sweet, thank you! I’ll start downloading now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can’t decide which class I wanna start with. What’s a good “starter” build that won’t require super rare drops to perform? I’m leaning toward Necromancer.