Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Just coming back to the game since I had the itch. Anybody playing on US East?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

bongwizzard posted:

Ok, my Necromancer is at level 17, has a full possy of skelebros, a spear with three red gems in it, and I still cannot kill the act 1 Demon Lady. Do I just suck?

One point skele mastery, one point amp damage, the rest of your points in skeletons. Maybe 30 strength and the rest in VIT. You should own her.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Doctor Malaver posted:

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm considering downgrading. I don't connect to battle.net so I should be able to do whatever I want locally. What patch would you recommend?

My pet project is to complete the game on Hell with all characters. I won't cheat but at the same time I don't feel like working extra hard just because at some point Blizzard arbitrarily decided to make the mobs much stronger.

Just level up more. Patching down the game version is working harder than just playing the game.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Well it's been about a year, time to come back and crack out on D2 for a few weeks. Anybody playing on West?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

feelix posted:

I've never beaten the game on HC even on normal, let alone Hell. What's the easiest and safest class without gear? Skelemancer?

Probably. If you plan on playing longer term the skelemancer isn't great at finding gear for your other characters. I usually suggest making a blizzard sorceress first.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Flython posted:

Been hoping to jump back into Eastern Sun without all the messing about with downgrading and etc. Unfortunately I can't redownload all of the Goontopia (https://sites.google.com/view/goontopia/goontopia) files as the Step 2 link is apparently infected by a virus.

Does anyone have those files? Or at the very least a link to an easy to understand and up to date method for getting Eastern Sun installed on a 1.14 Battle.net installation?

It is my understanding after looking into this recently that Eastern Sun is a mod for 1.10. You should be able to find .iso files for 1.10 or 1.12 and downgrade from there. There are instructions out there pretty readily available.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Flython posted:

Thanks for the replies guys.

On second thought my post was awfully demanding and rather rude. Just so drat eager for Diablo.

Nah you were fine. I am at work or I'd have found them for you. If you get everything working let me know how it went because I have been wanting to play it too.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Playing Median XL for the first time. It owns. Hit 121 with a Summon Barb in a couple days. :black101:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

We can only hope.

It really is crazy how extremely far the writing missed the mark on what people want from Diablo.

Forget Sexy Adria. They did Sexy Diablo. :stonk:

And they killed Cain in the stupidest way possible. I can't forgive that poo poo.

Diablo 3 is a sequel to Champions of Norrath. That is to say canonically it never happened.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

The saddest thing about Diablo 3's writing is it isn't all bad. There's little codex entries and there's things NPCs say during levels that are very competently written and do actually expand the lore and world of Diablo bigger the way D2 did.

But unfortunately those skilled writers seem to be lower on the political totem pole at Blizzard, some old guy with seniority who is a totally poo poo writer took control instead and pushed the dumb plot on everybody else, and they just had to make do as best they can.

Seriously though the writing in the cutscenes is so dumb but the writing in the subtle details holds up. Its night and day.

"Foolish neph- HURGLBURGLEGLEGJGHG"- Azmodan, the only time you meet him in the story.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

jiggerypokery posted:

I've had a go at this on vanilla (plugy) single player and just keep dying. I've tried various hybrid sorc builds at level 87, fo/nova fo/fireball and pure blizzard. Is there something special that makes it work on slash diablo? I can't be thaaat bad can I?

My gear is rubbish to be fair. Sprit sword/monarch, tarn helm, umed viper, maras and some random rings. Any tricks/advice?

Run ancient tunnels in act 2 instead.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

jiggerypokery posted:

sure, but that's easy and boring. I can run chaos just fine too, if I take it slow

I mean if you are wanting max efficiency that would be the way to go. To spice it up you just gotta have a route maybe that includes more stuff. Countess > Andariel > Ancient Tunnels > Meph > Pindle > Shenk is generally what I do on a blizzard sorc. Pretty sure none of those areas have cold immunes.

If you spec lightning you have some other options.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Duuk posted:

Has anyone seen info on D2R about the following:

1.) Character permanence. I lost a lvl 98 or 99 runeword kitted Necro (Enigma+Beast+Infinity merc etc) to the 90 day message, plus other high characters, and they can go gently caress themselves if they think I'm buying into that again.
2.) (Rune) drop rates. Based on this thread I get the impression it's unchanged now? Most of the really nice stuff and godly runewords I had came from trading. It seems like bad design to me when you have several lvl95+ characters and have never seen some of the high level runes drop in person, let alone the specific ones you need for a good runeword during a season. Even if point 1 is fixed I would be hesitant to get in unless they change this. Trading was time consuming and not exactly fun. (No, I didn't bot)

Imagine all the good things they could do, and then know they're not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Without any new content it's kind of a hard sell.