Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Smoke_Max posted:

I'm getting my rear end kicked so hard in Nightmare, I'm starting to have some serious doubts if I'll make it through Hell. The things that get me the most are magic projectiles and goddamn lightning enchanted bosses, I have no problems with masses of melee attackers (thanks Holy Shield). Got lucky and found a Skin of the Vipermagi though.

Any advice?

What are your resistances? Try to stock up on resistance charms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Khorne posted:

Anyone planning on playing the reset on the 24th?

I am trying to decide between classic or expansion, softcore or hardcore, probably on USEast.

If you do HC watch out for those tomb vipers who always have that powerful damage glitch that seems more dangerous than anything else in the game except player duels.

Is there any advantage to doing classic? I don't remember any except the disadvantage of having a smaller stash.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've been playing more the last few weeks. This is proving the be the #1 game in terms of longevity for me. The replay value is still there even after fifteen years. Sure I've taken some really long breaks (logging on only so my characters don't expire). I still have characters from 2003 :eyepop:

The only way I'd like this game more was if they didn't let characters expire (I lost a mule with a ton of stuff once). And if they had some kind of exchange system built into the game to show value. You can kind of gauge but it's hard to be sure.

1 SoJ = 1-3 high runes = Call to Arms (CTA)?
1 Heart of the Oak (HOTO) + 1-3 high runes = CTA?

Maybe the chance of getting ripped off makes things more exciting. I'm on D2X softcore US East non-ladder as *Zogo

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Unforgiven posted:

When the D2 patch update showed up in my news feed, I had an incredibly potent feeling of nostalgia. The last time I played was probably 5-6 years ago. The hankering to return is STRONG. In middle and high school I put hundreds of hours into this game. Are there enough/any goons in the old LLJK to bother coming back to play with?

I've played on/off the last few years and the lljk room/bot is dead.

Unforgiven posted:

Blizzard isn't laying down the ban hammer for botting anymore?

There are zillions of bots so they seem safe to use.

I don't know names or anything like that because I don't use them.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This is funny. I wonder how hard it'd be to do Diablo II: FPS edition.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

I read the Op and it sound like a Necromancer will be easier, should I just restart and be more careful?

A summoning necromancer is one of the simplest/easiest as you can go a far way just with skeletons/golem and just walk around observing the fight.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

In D2 news, I respeced with some more support skills and kicked the deamon lady's rear end. Act II seems huge and I am pumped as hell. Question, I have found that letting the minions fight and harking back to re-raise them as needed and cast Amplify Damage. I cast Teeth to get some dmg in, but it kills my mana. I have been pumping Vitality for more HP, when can I start dumping points into mana?

Corpse Explosion is much superior to Teeth/Bone Spear/Bone Spirit in most situations. I rarely ever use teeth and only use spear/spirit against monsters with high resistances to physical damage and elemental stuff that are near no corpses. Also, you can give your mercenary health potions by dropping them onto the picture icon.

bongwizzard posted:

Also I assume that any extra damage from getting like a bow is less helpful than whatever bonuses a good wand will provide?

You'll eventually want a http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Heart_of_the_Oak_Rune_Word flail.

Khorne posted:

Equipping a mercenary, especially an a2 one, with a decent weapon might help you immensely. A2 mercs also give an aura to all your dudes, and there are some runewords for auras also.

I think act 2 offensive might mercenaries (nightmare level) are the best. Although I don't know if that's still the case.

Khorne posted:

It's O, P, or ; by default I think. Not sure which. You can check in options.

O.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 24, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

I can't get out of the camp! I literally can't kill a single imp or zombie without going through healing potions. My Barb has crap eq and crap skills too so I wasn't expecting to just waltz to Act V but this is unplayable.

Were mobs patched to be so strong sometimes in the last decade? I had finished Hell with assassin and necro and I don't remember that the change from Nightmare to Hell was so drastic. Should I go to an earlier patch?

Yea, most of the tweaks made in patches in recent years make the game more difficult rather than easier.

Loading up on resistance charms could be a temporary stopgap to make the game more playable. Also, rings/weapons with life leaching.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This 4/1 joke tricked me for a few seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPPG3WtY8kQ

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Siets posted:

I’m wondering if Blizzard divested in Diablo 2 BNet resources just that much, or if maybe their new security detection methods aren’t well optimized with the old net code? Curious if others here are experiencing lag issues as well.

I've been on USEast recently and haven't noticed any lag really.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

One of the hurdles to making D2X in HD is that monsters/bosses would be visible on the far right/left of the screen in 16x9. Kind of just marching in place. Some might not mind that but it's something the creators have said they'd need to change if they do go through with it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Meaty Ore posted:

I finally got around to taking my summon necromancer through Hell; it's my first time playing through on this difficulty ever, despite having had the game since launch. I just beat Duriel and he dropped an item called "Twisted Essence of Suffering". Looks like a pile of bluish ashes. What does this do?

It doesn't do anything by itself but acquire one of each of these:

Twisted Essence of Suffering (dropped by Andariel and Duriel)
Charged Essence of Hatred (dropped by Mephisto)
Burning Essence of Terror (dropped by Diablo)
Festering Essence of Destruction (dropped by Baal).

Then put all four into the cube and you get a token of absolution. This token allows you to respec your characters stats and one time.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Diablo 2 is going through something of a resurgence if only because it's a strangely popular game for speedrunning

MrLlamaSC doing 8+ hour speedruns of characters to beat the entire game just look tortuous and torturous.

Khorne posted:

It's kind of interesting because d2 existed during a time where sharing this information or even approaching the game that way wasn't a thing. At most you had builds and maybe vague guides for "join these games at these levels". Even things like tomb mules weren't well known for a long time, although they've since been patched out.

It's the same reason I find old NES game speedruns interesting as information is being shared and the hive mind keeps finding ways to improve/optimize things.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I think most of them are in the neighborhood of an hour or two?

Yea, those are the ones where he just beats one mode. He has videos where he does all five acts of Normal/Nightmare/Hell.

Also, trying out really bad builds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6coAR4XDTg

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd like go to past level 99 i.e. I want ~80-100 skeletons. I need skeletons that can last in PvP.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Remaster predictions:

Access to original D2 game is removed
No more Open Battle.Net

Grounds for a class-action lawsuit.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Star Man posted:

I've managed to find a Zod rune once in a walk-to-Baal game that someone didn't notice in the mess of items on the ground. It's the only time I've ever seen a rune higher than Gul drop.

I think in the twenty years I've been playing (on and off) the highest I've found was a Gul rune. I doubt I'll ever find one of the top eight.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I like D2X because I've played it for twenty years and each new year I get to fantasize and think "Is this the year I find an Ohm rune?"

THE BAR posted:

And if he was making an Enigma, shouldn't it be a chest tattoo?

Yes, also remember to put SurChamAmnLo only on the hands i.e. Hand of Justice.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1350821247228268546

:wtf: It's not everyday one sees a Barbarian from D2X.

Apparently +10 to battle orders, +10 to battle command, +5 to howl etc.

Only level 1 spear mastery however.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

In the abstract (outside of politics) there was a remarkable synchronicity between that guy and the barbarian appearance/ethos found in the game and lore. It was remarkably uncanny.

PS For the record I'm not endorsing QAnon, MAGA terrorists and/or insurrectionists.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

codo27 posted:

I already feel a little bit self-defeating thinking back when I used to play in 2002 or whatever as a loser teen who could just play all day and night and I never got poo poo then. What kinda fuckin gimp am I gonna be now when I can only get a couple hours in here and there?

In the next twenty years you will find one Gul rune and nothing else of note.

My preliminary D2: Resurrection wish list 🥺:

-Ability to rotate items 45° so as to fit grand charms in the top/bottom row.

-Overhead view for PVP so I don't get killed in the crossfire.

-Triple digit clvl characters.

-Fix Claw Viper stack damage bug.

-Free bot so that I can find a Ber rune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

They always sound different in the game itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP8UcmKPr1w&t=680s