Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Just because the game takes a long time to do things doesn't mean it has depth.

So a big Median XL update just hit today - anyone playing that? Thoughts so far? I've never bothered with that mod because ES is so good but I may give it a shot now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Star Man posted:

I know. Normally I would do cows at that point because the experience is good, but I can't for this run.

a2 tomb runs are the most efficient xp until 24. then do ancients to hit 25 and bye bye xp penalty

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

If you’re not looking to bot you should check out slashdiablo. Launcher automatically includes a mh.

New ladder in 2 weeks

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

drat that looks good. that plus some ui stuff is really all I want from a remaster. make it easier to use more than one skill, but keep the same itemization and all the old breakpoints. i guess i've always thought more could've been done with the synergies system, though.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Of course i find a ber rune and a 3 cold skills/74 life/2os circlet one week before the slashdiablo reset :cripes:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

except the bad stuff includes the itemization and meaningful choices in character builds... I've gone back to d3 since they supposedly fixed it, and it's still so unexciting and same-y i can't get through the campaign. why do i care about getting 50 more dex on my gloves or whatever? what am i even building towards?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i was not talking about the campaign being boring and bad- i've always known that. i'm talking about character development. is building your character different if you do rifts? do they drop different items that aren't just all variations of stat sticks? if the game doesn't have items and build choices that make me excited starting at level 1 i'm not interested. it's poor design.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

d2 is fun start to finish. you can find a soj your first run through nm andy and that'll be something you hold onto until the peak of your character's power. similar stuff can happen in poe, like with tabula. i still enjoy starting a new d2 char and running through the campaign.

what you're describing sounds more like wow than diablo. a guaranteed set for each class you get after a bounded amount of grind? that's not a build choice. the devs made the choice for you already. and that's not even mentioning the gameplay relying on cooldowns and sequencing of abilities and how every single enemy is a huge bag of hp and guaranteed damage, making literally every encounter a gear check

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Diablo 3 puts an upper bound on that initial grind. What you describe (soj in nm) wont ever happen to 9999/10000 people. Diablo 2 certainly has more breadth of choices but is more focused on trading and hyper rare drops

It sounds like you've got your heart set on hating diablo 3 so I wont convince you. Diablo 2 has many good mods including one very active one that are more your speed

lol, you're basically right. i already decided i don't like d3. i really want to be proven wrong though because it's another potentially fun arpg, but i think the core design is flawed to me in ways i'll never be able to reconcile. the soj example was just one illustration of a core part of d2's design; i wasn't praising that exact thing because you're right it'll probably never happen to any of us. but there are degrees of that concept all throughout d2 and it's completely absent from d3. everything you can find (correct me if i'm wrong) is replaceable with a better version that has bigger numbers once youre in a higher rift or whatever.

and d2 is perfectly playable into hell solo even without trading because there's ways to avoid the things you can't handle, and multiple avenues for improving your build. the endgame becomes about rarity but you don't need full tals or an occy to do hell meph runs on your sorc and have access to some of the best items in the game if you pull the slot machine enough times. in d3 this is replaced with an endless linear grind through rifts with bigger numbers.

sorry, i'm NOT trying to poo poo up the thread about this, i just think there's some very interesting conversations to be had about arpg design and what makes the game worth coming back to. what do the big aspirational endgame items look like in d3? i'm genuinely curious what i would be excited about finding as fresh level 70 looking to build my char.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i'm not sure if you're trying to say there's best in slot items in d2, but that's not quite right. there's lots of very good items (using a mf sorc as example) that'll get you there like a ptopaz'd tal's mask, skullder's, and ali baba. none of those are bis though, and can be stopgaps to better things, depending on what your build wants. generally the bis items in d2 are near statistical impossibilities.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

THE BAR posted:

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Ith_Rune

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Eth_Rune

I can't tell if it was on purpose or not. And if he was making an Enigma, shouldn't it be a chest tattoo?

the upper arm is a common place to put tattoos if you want other people to actually see them

the eth rune mixup is definitely a very funny joke element to an already extremely niche tattoo, i love it

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

I cant stress this enough, pvp is completely void of meaning and worth in a genre where skill is out the window and its all about who has had more time (or money) to sink into their imaginary digital avatar

oh, word? how much dueling did you do in d2?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Only unconfirmed things i'm hoping for from d2r is for them to fix the weirdness with pally attacks (eg zeal getting stuck whiffing because the first swing was too far) and the amazon animation bugs. beyond that gimme the same lod i've been playing for half my life

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I think Activision-Blizzard are epic... Epic for the Win.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

don't forget colenzo!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

See I always took that as carletto. Not confused with the annihilator are you?

they shout colenzo as a direct reference to the the a5 boss, just like bishibosh and rakanishu

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i thought it was pretty obvious mods will be a no go given they have basically said you can use mods that read out data, but injecting is a hard no (something every big mod project relies on):

blizz spokesperson posted:

We acknowledge that a big part of Diablo II’s longevity is the modding community and we appreciate their enthusiasm for the game. Classic Diablo II and its mods will continue to exist and we’re going to do our best to continue to support the mods for Diablo II: Resurrected as well. That said, some mods are atypical and pose security threats to our games. Security has always been a top priority for us and programs that could pose major security issues will not be tolerated.

"do our best to continue to support" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/RodFergusson/status/1432852604246282242?s=20

This smells like bs to me especially with more of the same slippery noncommittal phrasing. afaik the bug wasn't even in the original game, it cropped up after the synergy patch, so i don't know how they think "concern for the original experience" is an excuse that holds water.