Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I sort of hated the interview, it doesn't help that Zahkaria is an awful hack protege of Huntington, but I did sort of phase out when he went on about Modi being about growth and not like other third world parties offering people things.

Loved the rest of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Mario and Link making out hasn't gotten enough love. Sure you can find it on DeviantArt, but not, until now, on television.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 19, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a shame that TDS covered the GM thing a while back in a pretty similar detail, but it was still a good piece and the commercial was excellent.

Is the 4 weeks on, 1 week off thing pretty much how they're running the show? Or does anyone know if it's booked for x amount of episodes, then takes a longer break?

I'll use the week off to dig up some clips of some of the types of British shows that are definitely influences on his show (and possibly TDS itself). We haven't done anything great in the last decade, but in the 90s we had a pretty good run of current affairs comedies.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's a shame that TDS covered the GM thing a while back in a pretty similar detail, but it was still a good piece and the commercial was excellent.

Is the 4 weeks on, 1 week off thing pretty much how they're running the show? Or does anyone know if it's booked for x amount of episodes, then takes a longer break?

I'll use the week off to dig up some clips of some of the types of British shows that are definitely influences on his show (and possibly TDS itself). We haven't done anything great in the last decade, but in the 90s we had a pretty good run of current affairs comedies.

I know GoT is on break because of Memorial Day. Maybe they're doing it for all their series?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm still getting used to see boobs and dicks show up on the not-Daily Show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I just want one gently caress you chris on the show, or at least show Mt. gently caress you chris.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I know GoT is on break because of Memorial Day. Maybe they're doing it for all their series?

All HBO shows are on break next Sunday for Memorial Day. I think HBO said pretty much outright they'd never air any series on the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend again after GOT's ratings went into the toilet after airing what was essentially the climax of season 2 on Memorial Day Weekend.

Instead their airing the movie about the start of the AIDS outbreak, which actually looks like it might be really good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

axeil posted:

Instead their airing the movie about the start of the AIDS outbreak, which actually looks like it might be really good.

The new one with Sheldon in it or Dallas Buyer's Club or something?

radlum
May 13, 2013
The one with Sheldon, Normal Heart, based on a play. I saw the play and it was rather good, very sad and heartwarming, but mostly sad.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Man, this show is beating Game of Thrones and Cosmos for Thing I Anticipate Most on Sunday.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Man, this show is beating Game of Thrones and Cosmos for Thing I Anticipate Most on Sunday.

Yeah it's become a pretty sweet stretch of television with game of thrones, Silicon Valley, and then Last Week Tonight. I tend to browse the forums through veep but sometimes it has it's moments also.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

The one with Sheldon, Normal Heart, based on a play. I saw the play and it was rather good, very sad and heartwarming, but mostly sad.

Assuming it's basically just the play, then yeah it's kind of a downer :smith:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
John Oliver is just killing it. Also holy poo poo at the list of words GM banned. Kevorkianesque made me guffaw. I mean god drat. Loved the commercial they made with it.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

John Oliver is just killing it. Also holy poo poo at the list of words GM banned. Kevorkianesque made me guffaw. I mean god drat. Loved the commercial they made with it.

"Rolling sarcophagus" is going to be a new humor unit of measurement for me for the next week or so.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Not much to comment on for it, but I'm really enjoying the show. It's kind of ruining The Daily Show for me by being clearly superior. The Nintendo clip was brilliantly dumb and hilarious. The car piece was unbelievably infuriating.

On a lighter note, any goons contribute to the mutually assured humiliation thing?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Drifter posted:

Digging the show.

That whole GM thing was pretty upsetting with how little deterrence and punishment there is for companies (I mean, it's the same old story, so it's actually hard to remain upset these days), and I liked the interview with Zakaria - the India talk was interesting.

TDS did a segment about that a few months back, basically the gist of it was that they hired their new CAR GIRL CEO to take the fall for all their hosed up defects.

That list was incredible. Someone had way too much fun compiling that list for what is ostensibly a serious document.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I drive one of the recalled kevorkianesque rolling sarcophagi but they don't have the parts yet and actually haven't even informed me my car is affected. Good job GM :mad:

At least my car's problem is just "the axle might fall off" instead of "everything will turn off and you'll die." I'm kind of surprised there isn't a thread about this in AI/GBS/D&D

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

axeil posted:

At least my car's problem is just "the axle might fall off" instead of "everything will turn off and you'll die." I'm kind of surprised there isn't a thread about this in AI/GBS/D&D

What I am surprised about is that the airbag issue wasn't mentioned either. Apparently a millisecond after your ignition turns off in the middle of the highway, your airbag is disabled, too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

raditts posted:

TDS did a segment about that a few months back, basically the gist of it was that they hired their new CAR GIRL CEO to take the fall for all their hosed up defects.

Yeah, that's why I said it's hard to stay mad - this has been going on for so long and nothing is coming of it and it's all just show.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Mario and Link making out hasn't gotten enough love. Sure you can find it on DeviantArt, but not, until now, on television.

They have achieved Gmod technology on this show.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This show seems more interested in news events in general rather than the reporting of them. I feel like TDS has gone from Mock News Show to Cable News Critique sometime after Jon appeared on The First Crossfire and crapped on Begala/Carlson and their shtick. He made pretty much the only joke that was needed about Indian CNN's busy on screen graphics and moved on. Meanwhile, TDS promised a full Jason Jones In India segment about the same concept.

It just feels like either Stewart was blown away by the viral success of his CNN appearance and made a new goal for the show to shame cable news into improving itsslf, or one of their people is angling for a job there or MSNBC. They still do cover some news stories, but compared to ten years ago when it was known as the only "news show" young people watched it is fewer and further between.

LNT seems to neither be obsessed with cable news nor a Liberal Catharsis Hour. Of course, HBO doesn't need that because they have Real Time for that sort of thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

They're both funny shows, so who cares?

TDS and LWT I mean. Real Time is a pile of poo poo.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I don't think Jon Stewart sat around and consciously decided to shift towards media criticism over reporting; the show started drifting that way over time. Its not a good or a bad thing, and I think it gives TDS a bit of inoculation from the charge that its just a liberal free-for-all.

Oliver has thus far been taking far more biting aim at the actual news stories themselves.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
The Crossfire thing happened after an extremely long term drift in the Daily Show since taking over from Kilborn. Looking back at his era and the early bit of Jon's it's amazing how E! channel it really was. And it makes sense because funny and politics was kind of niche and already taken by Dennis Miller. But over time and especially because of the 2000 election, they found that sweet spot of political comedy and, by extension, cable media's coverage of it.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm really glad that someone as well-known as Stewart is out there relentlessly calling the media on their poo poo in a very public way.

I'm just kind of tired of watching it.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I'm really glad that someone as well-known as Stewart is out there relentlessly calling the media on their poo poo in a very public way.

I'm just kind of tired of watching it.

Also, Stewarts constantly exasperated act makes it seems like (true or not) he's tired of doing it too.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I love you. Those last two crack me up every time. Old Bowser/Old Donkey Kong is such a great gay couple.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Those last two crack me up every time. Old Bowser/Old Donkey Kong is such a great gay couple.

Especially since their meet cute was in the hospital recovering from getting the poo poo beat out of them from Mario. Worse still, it seems both of them stole Princess Peach and it turns out that absolutely nobody wanted to screw her, they were just desperate for a beard in the homophobic 80s.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Ape Agitator posted:

Especially since their meet cute was in the hospital recovering from getting the poo poo beat out of them from Mario. Worse still, it seems both of them stole Princess Peach and it turns out that absolutely nobody wanted to screw her, they were just desperate for a beard in the homophobic 80s.

I thought everyone knew Bowser trying to marry Peach was just a power play. The king of the Koopas marrying the princess of the Mushroom kingdom was all about unification of the land under Bowser's power. How would a 18 ft tall dinosaur even have sex with a woman anyway?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

FlyingCheese posted:

I thought everyone knew Bowser trying to marry Peach was just a power play. The king of the Koopas marrying the princess of the Mushroom kingdom was all about unification of the land under Bowser's power. How would a 18 ft tall dinosaur even have sex with a woman anyway?

Micropenis. It's a sad biological fact that they don't want to get out. They don't actually devour the princesses sacrificed to them, they just pay them a hefty payoff, buy them a one-way ticket to Aruba, and they have to sign an ironclad confidentiality agreement.

Watching the gifs, it's genius that they had the Peach one just keep going further than necessary. I assume those are done by that overseas team that will make an animation of absolutely anything. I would really enjoy it if LWT established a long standing deal with them for "footage".

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
While there was no show this week, there was a little web bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2jtOFfiF80

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

Well you tell me where the Koopa Kids came from then.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

At the risk of going major-league :goonsay:, I think that they were retconned so that Bowser Jr. is Bowser's only kid, while the Koopa Kids (I'm pretty sure they're called the "Koopalings" now) are like Koopa apprentices.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
"Up up down down left right left right be gay be gay start" being the code to have same sex marriages was great too.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

raditts posted:

Bowser lived in denial for much of his life, he has an ex-wife (unseen, divorced when he came out of the closet) and 7 useless kids that he'd rather forget. Bowser Jr is actually his nephew that reminds him a lot of himself and became a father figure for the kid.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hitler was a Nazi about intellectual property.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Any parent will agree: gently caress you, Caillou!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ClydeUmney posted:

Any parent will agree: gently caress you, Caillou!

There are a LOT of lovely kids' shows but god dammit if Caillou isn't the loving worst by a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

raditts posted:

There are a LOT of lovely kids' shows but god dammit if Caillou isn't the loving worst by a mile.

Uhhh...are you guys ahead or something?

And what's the problem with Caillou? I never watched it.

• Locked thread